2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Absolutely the BEST book I read in 2012!!! Night Circus was very different, but a close second. Enjoy!

Loved that book as well!

Put me down for 24. My Goodreads account says that I read 20 last year. I think I can do better than that. If I come up short in December I'll just throw in a few comic books. :rolleyes1

I'm starting with "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Technically, I started it last year but I'm only 25 pages into it. Am I winning? :hyper:

No, you're not winning. ;) Hulagirl ALREADY has finished her first book for 2013!

I joined goodreads and have a quick question. How do you mark books as 'currently reading'? There's a book on my 'to read' shelf that I'm currently reading. I've tried hitting the 'edit' button but nothing happens. :confused: Please help!

Also thanks to the poster who mentioned goodreads. There's a lot of useful tools, and I like how they give you book recommendations based on stuff you've already read! Very cool. :cool1:

ETA: Just hit the edit button for the 10th time....and it works! Now I can add books to my 'currently reading' shelf. Guess 10th time is the charm. lol

diznee25

That edit button gave me problems too. I don't update my current book that way. Hmmm.... I have to think how I do it now, lol.

On the home page over on the top right somewhere is a little widget that says Currently Reading and it gives your status (how many pages you've read so far). Underneath in tiny letters is "Add a New Book." I usually type in my book title there and add it that way. I'm pretty sure it automatically pulls it off your "to-read" list... as long as it's the same book version (for books with more than one version out there...)

I'll have to pay more attention to how I'm doing it the next time I start a new book.

ok! just finished the first one for the year. A beautiful book called Bloom by Kelle Hampton. Her story of giving birth to a daughter with Downs. I cried several times but what a remarkable book. I highly recommend it :thumbsup2

My word, girl! No wonder you read 177 books last year! CONGRATULATIONS on being the first one to complete a book on the FIRST DAY of 2013! :)

One of my resolutions this year is to read more and less tv. I love to read, but somehow never find time. I'm going to try to read 30. I have about 25 on my Nook shelf to read so if I have to add more books, that's a good thing. One book I am trying to read this year is Les Mis. After seeing the play 4 times and the movie 2 times, I want to read the book. Although I do have a question. Because it is about 1500 pages can I count that as 2 books :rotfl2:?

Oh that's a tough one. Having just recently finished that book myself, I know what a DIFFICULT read that one was. I think you can compensate by throwing a few 50-100 page books in there too. :)

I'm in!!! I love to read, so this will be fun! I've gotten so many wonderful recommendations from the DIS, that I know this will be a great group of people to bond with over books! Kind of like a long distance book club!

I'll set my goal at 50 books. I'm starting with Unbroken, which I've wanted to read for a long time, but never got around to reading. Very excited!!!

Once we're done with a book, are we coming back here to report? How will this work?

Off to read the rest of the thread, to see what everyone else is doing!

I'm on Goodreads, user name is the same as on the DIS, if anyone wants to friend me.

Can someone tell me how to find out how many books I logged on Goodreads in 2012? I'm sure there has to be an easier way than going through my list and counting. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

I would love to join this thread. Please put me in for 70 books! I have been reading the recommendations on here but have never replied to any of the suggestions other than writing the titles down.

I'm on Goodreads, user name is the same as on the DIS, if anyone wants to friend me.

Can someone tell me how to find out how many books I logged on Goodreads in 2012? I'm sure there has to be an easier way than going through my list and counting. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Glynis, on the right side of your Goodreads home page, just under where it says "my profile" is another area that says "2013 reading challenge." There it asks you how many books you plan to read for the year. Then every time you mark a book as read, it adds it. It will let you know if you are on track to complete your goal.

If you didn't do it for 2012, I'm not sure how you would do it now.

I'm in! I read pretty quickly so I will set that number at 52. I am most excited about the Graceling series my mother loaned me, the new Oatricia Briggs book Frost Burned, Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, the last Sookie Stackhouse, and 24 Hours That Changed the World by Adam Hamilton. My biggest goal is to read the Bible this year.

I think I'll go with 30.

ON hand right now I have a Nora Roberts book, Finding the Dream. And I have Gena Showalter's Alice in Zombieland. OH I have Dust and Decay too got to read that one.

Where do you all find decent free e books to read? Im really not into reading all the classics right now. romace or mystery would be good, help?

I'm in! I will read 12 books that aren't my textbooks! I received Homer's Odyssey (about a cat) and the original 2 versions of The Nutcracker (1816 and an 1845 adaptation). Ooh it is a sinister tale so far : >}

I want to be in! Subscribed and will set my goal at 75 books for the year,

Looking forward to hearing about you reading :coffee:

Where do you all find decent free e books to read? Im really not into reading all the classics right now. romace or mystery would be good, help?

What devise do you have?
There are alot of good sites on Facebook.
Search Kindle promo in Facebook if you have Kindle.

I would love to join! Put me down for 65. Last year I read 113 but I was home recuperating from 2 surgeries so I think I'll lower that number this year.

I've just finished 2 in the last day. Books 3 & 4 of The Dulcie O'Neill series. Very engaging and an easy read if you like fantasy/paranormal romance novels.

Ereaders rock! Im a huge bookworm and love the real thing but my Kindle makes any downtime book time.

Next book I'm starting: Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio

I'll play! Ever since I got my iPhone I read less and that's sad. I'll go for 15, any book will count right? We're not being book snobs? ;)

I'm in. My goal will be 26. That's only one book every two weeks so I should be able to hit that. Just got Under the Dome so that will be book number one. After that, not sure.

I'll play! Ever since I got my iPhone I read less and that's sad. I'll go for 15, any book will count right? We're not being book snobs? ;)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not. :goodvibes Read big books, little books, picture books for all I care. It's your goal, who am I to tell you how to reach it?

My DH gets free e-books all the time, and we have Nooks. He says he just searches for the title he wants....there's no specific website he goes to. He's only ever bought e-books when I get him gift card. Otherwise he just downloads for free.

I can help you with how to get cheap(er) books if you have a Nook. Go to B&N website. Click on 'Nook Books'. Under there are 3 categories: Nook Snaps, Nook Daily Find, and Nook Books Under $5. All three areas have books, some as low as .99 cents! And this is how I get my books.

diznee25

Glynis, on the right side of your Goodreads home page, just under where it says "my profile" is another area that says "2013 reading challenge." There it asks you how many books you plan to read for the year. Then every time you mark a book as read, it adds it. It will let you know if you are on track to complete your goal.

If you didn't do it for 2012, I'm not sure how you would do it now.

Thanks! I did that!! I didn't do it for 2012, but I did find a "stats" button that shows how many I've read in the last 3 or 4 years. So, I'm all set!!! Let the reading (and the fun times) begin!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not. :goodvibes Read big books, little books, picture books for all I care. It's your goal, who am I to tell you how to reach it?

I'm with Kathi! As long as you are reading, who's to judge what's a "real" book?!? Good luck everyone!

Would love to join. No goal because I couldn't possible read more than I do. I average well over 25 books per month.... LMAO! Nope not a typo :) I have 1100 books in my Kindle archive and have had it for just under 3 years :)

I love all kinds of books, smutty romance, military romance, military non romance. Whatever.

If anybody is looking for ideas one of my favorite authors is Matthew Riley. More of a "mans" type of book but very good. He has some books that are along a modern day Indiana Jones type and a series that is Military/Political. He hasn't had anything new out recently because of a personal tragedy but I just cannot get enough of his books.

If anybody has any book recommendations I'd love it. I LOVE series books. Not keen on historicals of any kind but that is pretty much my only restriction.

Joining the challenge. I'm going for 26, hoping for more, but 26 sounds reasonable. :). Mockingjay is the first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter