2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Book 5 of 30
25 books remaining

Perfect Poison by M. William Phelps
Stars 4

True story of Kristin Gilbert a RN nurse. She was convicted of murdering several patients over a 10 yr period on the critical care ward at Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Northampton, Massachusetts.

Book #4 of 26. Afraid - A Novel of Terror by J.A. Konrath and Jack Kilborn
I give this 5 stars.

I]

Aswome!! this ones on my list as the next read. Very nice!! im excited now. How bad are the details? I can handle blood, guts and gore (heck, I helped stablize a open fracture once). think ill be ok??

I finished the two ply times. Great bathroom reading!

Book 6 of 30
24 books remaining

The Blood of Innocents

I'm not going to even comment on this book. Made me sick. I have one more book left in my stack on true crime -- I think I'm done with this genre after it. No need to watch horror movies or read horror books -- most scary things in life are real.

Book #8 Pearl by Ruth Langan

Review: Ok, Pearl is the second book in the Texas Jewels series. (If you want the premise, go back to my last book). Pearl, Ruby and Jade have decided to stay in Texas to get to know their newfound family which includes their older sister Diamond and her new husband Adam. Yeah, sorry for the spoiler alert that Diamond marries Adam but c'mon its a romance novel! Did you think the girl wasn't going to marry the cowboy?!

Anyway, Pearl has decided to put her education into good use. She is a teacher and realizes that there isn't a school in Hanging Tree so for the good of everyone, she starts a school for free. It is located in her father's old cabin when he was just starting out and this is a big problem for Cal McCabe. There are early hints in Diamond's book that he is uneasy around this prissy Pearl but it is apparent in this book. Early on the relationship between the couple is established so there isn't the "will they or won't they?" situation BUT there is a lot of romantic tension between them. Pearl gets the school on the land anyways.

Pearl is a good teacher and with the school becoming a big success and her relationship between Cal starting up it seems pretty good. I do suggest the Pearl book and I even think it is worth a read without having to go through the entire series. There is romance, suspense and even a tender moment when the villain's sons have warmed up to Pearl and Cal because they have given the boys the only kindness they ever knew.

Now, I went on this rant about Onyx in the last post. I still believe he was a jerk but it is apparent that he had asked Pearl's mom to marry him and somehow,she declined. It is Pearl who is judged for her parents not getting married. In Victorian society a woman who came from two unmarried parents was not marriage material and so Pearl went into teaching knowing that she would not marry and therefore had to have a profession. The reason why she is so perfect is because growing up if she stepped out of line, others would judge her because of her parents. This gives a lot of insight to the consequence that Pearl with because of Onyx and her mother and its really sad. Of course, her fate changes.

Just completed #3 out of 24 - Rush Home Road by Laura Lansen. I give it a 4 out 5 stars. I know this book has been a favorite of people on reading lists and I finally got to it. I did enjoy it, it was good story all the way through, good pacing, etc. I didn't think it was the *best* book in this genre (which I can only describe as a genre where African Americans are making their way through civil rights/post slavery issues). The setting of the story is Canada so that added an interesting twist to those issues. As an American I had no idea what was going on in Canada and how blacks were treated there during that timeframe, so that was interesting.

I found the discovery of Sharla's father a little too "magical"; however, in hindsight, the book was extremely spiritual and had that whole "everything happens for a reason" vibe throughout.

Not sure what I'm reading next. I have five e-books that I am waiting on from the library. For three of those books, I am number #1 on the waiting list. I'm sure they will come all at once!

Thanks for the review on Rush Home Road!

LOL'ing at the number of books on hold. I'm sure they'll all come at once - that ALWAYS happens to me!

Goal 72

I also started reading 'Where'd You Go, Bernadette' by Maria Semple a few days ago. I set it aside as it doesn't really seem like my kind of book but may pick it back up to try again. It was on Bookpage's top 25 reader picks & also the top 50 editor picks for 2012 but I'm finding that most of the books on those lists are not appealing to me.

I'm on hold for this book. Should be in any day, but still only halfway through my current book - The Shoemaker's Wife. I'm looking for a fluff book and saw this one had great reviews. I forget what it's about though, lol. I'll still give it a whirl and see what I think.

Goal 50

#9 Run, Bambi, Run

This is a true crime story based on Laurencia Bembenic, who was convicted of first degree murder. She has claimed from day one that she is innocent. I give the book 2.5/5. It was very simply written and I found multiple typos and misspelled words. I know that it's not just the authors fault but it distracted me from the story. The author repeated herself a lot. It was annoying. The book was written 20 years ago so a lot has happened regarding the case since it was published. A fluff read only because I remember reading it a long time ago and enjoying it. Good thing my tastes have changed and matured.

Next up is Cell by Stephen King.

Next up is Cell by Stephen King.

I really enjoyed that one!

Goal 30
Book #5
Frozen Past by Richard C. Hale

This was a page turner for me. Very refreshing as it's been awhile since I've read a book that I didn't want to put down. I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5.

It revolves around a group of teens being stalked by a madman. The stalker also has connections to the police officer and FBI agent who are helping the teens, which complicates the investigation.

Goal - 50 books

Book #10 - "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls

This book is the author's memoir about her childhood. A very unconventional childhood. So much happened, that I am not sure if I believe everything. It made me uncomfortable to see her parents not parenting! Don't know if that makes sense. The author writes about horrific things happening to the family in such a matter of fact way! I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Of course, if such things always happen in your family, I guess you'd get used to it. I give it 3 stars.

Today I will be finishing "Mary: Mrs. A. Lincoln", and then on to "Pompeii".

Thanks for the review on Rush Home Road!

LOL'ing at the number of books on hold. I'm sure they'll all come at once - that ALWAYS happens to me!

I'm on hold for this book. Should be in any day, but still only halfway through my current book - The Shoemaker's Wife. I'm looking for a fluff book and saw this one had great reviews. I forget what it's about though, lol. I'll still give it a whirl and see what I think.

I read this one a few months ago. Not bad, found it entertaining enough.

I'm in a book rut. Every time I start one I decide I don't like it and quit. I've finally given in and started Barred to You. I'm thinking that one will keep my interest for a while. (although since DBF is headed to LA next week I might want to wait until he gets back to start it. ;) ) Or I'll just finish it while he's still home. lol

wvjules said:
I'm in a book rut. Every time I start one I decide I don't like it and quit. I've finally given in and started Barred to You. I'm thinking that one will keep my interest for a while. (although since DBF is headed to LA next week I might want to wait until he gets back to start it. ;) ) Or I'll just finish it while he's still home. lol

Me too!

Ugh.... I'm about to start a new one today.

I'm reading The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist. It's eh, but I'll plug along. I'll need to find something really good for my next book.

I WISH I could do that!! I can't quit a book for the life of me. I think I've only done that once in my entire life! I'm too darn stubborn. I keep thinking "just one more chapter... it'll get better..." I've read many a bad book because of my pig-headedness, lol.

Goal - 50 books

Book #11 - Mary Mrs. A. Lincoln by Janis Cooke Newman

I chose this book in part because I'm also currently reading "Team of Rivals" and partly because I just saw the new Lincoln movie. I'm loving both of those, so thought this would be a fun take on Mary's side of the story. I did enjoy the book, but felt that the author drew some conclusions that don't jive with my picture of Mary Todd Lincoln. This story is told in first person as Mary is living in an insane asylum, put there by her oldest son, Robert. The story brought up many questions for me, so I'm going to have to go digging to find out the truth. I enjoy doing that, most of the time, but right now I've got so much else on my plate, that I'm kind of annoyed by it.

Next up: "Pompeii" by Robert Harris, and continuing "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearn Goodwin.

8. Fatal Affair by Marie Force - This one was really, really good. For those of you who like Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb's "In Death" series, I think you'd really like this as it has a lot of the same elements -- strong female protagonist who is in law enforcement and a strong but sensitive male protagonist who you can't help but fall a little in love with. (I know that's bad grammar - LOL!) It is set present day, as opposed to mid-21st century.

Even if you haven't read/don't love the J.D. Robb series, there is a good chance you'd like this mix of suspense, drama and hot romance.

I got it free on Kindle and loved it so much that I just bought the second book in the series. I'll be back soon to let you know how it is. :)

As I said, I liked the first one so much that I bought the second, and the third, and the fourth, and the fifth. LOL! Oh, and the novella. These books are very in keeping with my tastes. I like the strong male and female leads, as well as the strong characters who are so richly developed in the course of the series. The police suspense/drama is very well done, well thought out. And the romance is very credible and seriously "hot"!

So, may I offer up for your consideration (from Amazon)

#9. Fatal Justice by Marie Force (book 2 in the series)
She looked into the dead face of the man she'd dined with the night before

Standing over the body of a Supreme Court nominee, Lieutenant Sam Holland is hip-deep in another high-profile murder case. The fact that she was one of the last people to see Julian Sinclair alive just complicates things even more. On the plus side, her relationship with Senator Nick Cappuano is heating upbut it's also attracting a lot of unwanted media attention and blinding flash bulbs.

The pressure is on for Sam to find Sinclair's killer, but a new lead in her father's unsolved shooting puts her in unexpected danger. When long-buried secrets threaten to derail her relationship with Nick, Sam realizes that while justice can be blind, mixing romance with politics has the potential to be fatal...

#10 Fatal Consequences by Marie Force (book 3 in the series)
Lieutenant Sam Holland has no sooner accepted Senator Nick Cappuano's proposal than she's back on the job. A woman has been found brutally murdered and evidence points to Henry Lightfeather, a senator and close friend of Nick's. While Sam investigates, Nick stands by his friendcomplicating his own bid for reelection, and causing tension between the couple.

As Sam's investigation reveals a scandal that rocks the capital, Nick and Sam discover that the biggest threat to their future might be someone from her past...

#11 Fatal Destiny by Marie Force (book 3.5 in the series)
With the week of their wedding finally upon them, Washington, D.C., Police Lieutenant Sam Holland and her fiancé, Senator Nick Cappuano, are at odds. In the aftermath of a tragic loss, they struggle to reconnect as the big day draws near, but their work keeps pulling them apart. When a new clue into a cold case surfaces, Nick asks Sam not to take any foolish chances before the wedding and to leave it alone for the time being.

Sam agrees, but she can't let it go entirely and winds up trapped in an explosive situation. Then an unwelcome visitor from her past threatens her future happiness& With trouble at every turn, will Sam survive long enough to walk down the aisle?

#12Fatal Flaw by Marie Force (book 4 in the series)
Back from their honeymoon, Senator Nick Cappuano and D.C. Police Lieutenant Sam Holland are ready for some normalcy after the whirlwind of their wedding, but someone has other plans for them. When Sam discovers wedding cards containing thinly veiled death threats, she's not sure if she or Nick is the target.

Already on edge, Sam and her team start investigating a series of baffling murders. The victims are well-liked with no known enemies, and the murders are carried out in a clean and efficient manner. Unable to find a clear motive for the deaths, she feels like she's chasing her tail.

With no obvious connection between the victims, Sam soon suspects that she may be the ultimate prize in the killer's clever game. When the danger starts to hit a little too close to home, she has two goals: find the elusive murderer and manage to live long enough to enjoy her happily-ever-after.

#13Fatal Deception by Marie Force (book 5 in the series)-
The wife of the White House deputy chief of staff has been beaten to death, and their one-year-old daughter is missing. D.C. Police Lieutenant Sam Holland is in charge of the murder investigation, but she's forced to collaborate with Special Victims Unit detectives as well as thorn-in-her-side FBI Special Agent Avery Hill. Then, a cold case of her father's resurrects old hurtsa distraction Sam cannot afford.

As Sam's investigation heats up, so does Nick's political careerand the heat carries over to their bedroom. Will Sam put the pieces together in time to catch a killer and find the baby, or will ambition, greed and lies prove fatal?

So, thanks to this engaging series of books, I am now at 13/52!

Book 7 of 30
23 books remaining

For the Thrill of It: Leopold, Loeb, and the Murder That Shocked Chicago
Stars:4

Another true crime story. This one in 1923 and involved the Vice-President of Sears and Roebuck's nineteen year-old son. Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb were responsible for the death of Richard's 2nd cousin, Bobby Franks, who was 14 years-old.

I can't find Kimblebee's post, but my DH loved The Cell also.

I have RESTARTED book #2 again putting me WAAAAAY behind.:sad:

THIS is the NEW #2(And I WILL finish it!)-
The Lost Girls:Three Friends. Four Continents. One Unconventional Detour Around the World.

"With their thirtieth birthdays looming, Jen, Holly, and Amanda are feeling the pressure to hit certain milestones—score the big promotion, find a soul mate, have 2.2 kids. Instead, they make a pact to quit their jobs, leave behind everything familiar, and embark on a yearlong round-the-world search for inspiration and direction.

Traveling 60,000 miles across four continents, Jen, Holly, and Amanda push themselves far outside their comfort zones to embrace every adventure. Ultimately, theirs is a story of true friendship—a bond forged by sharing beds and backpacks, enduring exotic illnesses, trekking across mountains, and standing by one another through heartaches, whirlwind romances, and everything in the world in between."
-From Amazon.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter