2012 Destashing Thread

I am always in need of destashing. I have four kids and it is never ending it seems. I can get one room done and another is in desperate need. Staying on top of it as well as everything else makes me feel like it will never be done until the kids are out. We donate tons of things a year and still it seems we always have too much stuff. I am determined this year to destash this house! Similar to cleansing of the demons, but just more room for me to do yoga in. :rotfl:

My three biggest goals in destashing this year are cleaning out the attic, basement, and garage.

I would love to be able to park my car in the garage again and to make both the basement and attic usable spaces again. They are both finished and great spaces just going to waste with boxes of junk and old furniture.

I finished clearing out a bunch of dried up pens & stuff from our pencil drawer and the kids' art drawers. I went through DS's closet and sorted stuff into DN and donate piles and got rid of some cooking mags I'll never use and cleaned up that space.

I got a great free shelf from CL to help organize in the garage. I need DH to put the holiday stuff back in the attic this weekend then the garage should look much better. I need to get some hooks because I'm trying to create a wet stuff area for the kids - if it ever snows this year.

I even got motivated and forced the piano from the dining room to the office. I think I might create a new exercise program based on moving heavy household objects. :laughing: It really opened up the dining room, I love it. Plus now it's in the room w/a door so the kids can practice all of their instruments behind closed doors!

No progress on moving the computer but maybe next week. I think I might try to tackle bits of the basement in 20 min. increments every week. It's going to be a long slow process since I tend to put piles on one side that is not used much.

I have a goal of de-stashing and donating 10 things a month. I love reorganizing.

Well I have finally started, again!!!

I was able to get rid of the following items this week:

1 armoire
2 dvd's
2 novels
3 holiday plates
1 backpack
2 pair of pants
5 ice cube trays

a decent start but need to get rid of a lot more

I'm in!

My contract work has really slowed down, so I need to do something productive instead of feeling sorry for myself, or worse, spending money we do not have! Our church is having a rummage sale in April, so I have a deadline for decluttering.

Well, I have been 'ordering' into decluttering the office/scrapbooking room in the house.

The room is being painted and my dad is laying new floor, so everything had to come out and there are 15 boxes of stuff from both sides in addition to my scrapbooking boxes and storage containers. Where and when did this happen??? Nothing is going back in the room unless it has a purpose because it was a pain in the butt to pack it all up and then stand back and look at it all.

DD is now 11 and we have 5-6 HUGE :scared1: tubs of clothes that I am going thru for our yard sale in a few months. We thought we were going to have another baby but decided that one was enough. Now I have the daunting task of pricing every piece of clothing. So far I have gone thru one tub and have about $100 priced (and I am practically giving this stuff away!). All the money we make will towards our next Disney trip!

Next I will go thru my DD's closet again then mine. Also, have half a garage full of stuff that I need to go thru since we moved 2 years ago.

Happy destashing to all!! :cheer2:

I've commited to one cabinet/closet a week! Not a lofty goal I know, but it's about all I can manage! :rotfl: Today I did the coat closet. I took out one bag of trash and one bag for Goodwill. Last week I did my walk in closet, three bags to Goodwill!

I worked on a small project today. I got our front hall closet cleaned out. It was were all my dad's photography stuff was and I have a whole box of stuff for my friend (who is a photographer) to go through.

I took the 3 laundry baskets full of stuff that I got out of my 2 year olds to a lady at work that wanted to go through them. She offered me $60 for it all and I took it! So 3 boxes gone, plus $ towards either our May trip or my student loans. Either way, it's a win :)

Count me in. We live on a ranch and have not only household items but also a barn and shed.

We will find out Wednesday if we are moving to Europe for 2 years. If we do get the contract everything needs to go. If not, I need to do a major destash.

Today I sold my patio set, fabric and some patterns. I made $80 going towards the moving fund for now.

I just went through the kitchen cabinets - I didn't realize how much non perishable expired stuff I had. Horrible! I have to be more mindful when purchasing stuff. That and old plastic containers and other stuff mounted to 2 large trashbags on the curb. :yay::yay:

I have more to do in there but am taking a break. :surfweb:

I went through two kitchen cupboards today. My pots and pan cupboards was a wreck. I got new pans for Christmas so I was excited to put them away and get rid of the old ones. The second cupboard has bowls, tupperware, and travel mugs in it. My daughter and I matched up the bowls or travel mugs with the mugs. Got to throw out a big bag of lids that didn't match anything. YEAH!!!! One cupboard at a time.

Today I did some minor destashing. Tossed some backs of earrings, a bracelet, put into the donate pile a watch and some artificial rose petals I was going to do something with. :thumbsup2

Not destashing but reorginzed my jewlery for something more suited for the camper :idea:

I think I need in on this thread. To walk through my house you wouldn't see much clutter, and everything appears to have a place.
But heaven forbid you open half of the closets:scared1:
They are full of stuff that just needs to GO.
There's a junk drawer in the kitchen that needs to be dejunked.
My dh just converted the spare bedroom into an office. It's not too bad but there's things we were storing in there that need to go. And the garage!! Argh. It's like the catch all for anything that doesn't have a home.

So... 4 closets, kitchen junk drawer, upstairs bathroom drawers, office and garage need decluttering. More than that, they need permanent storage organizers etc, so that they have a system. The garage would be completely fine if it had some shelves and hooks for things.

Bathroom drawers can be done in about an hour so I'll start there in the morning. I can commit to getting that done tomorrow. I'd also like the garage done by the end of the month. That will probably take an entire day.

ETA) I spent the entire afternoon putting away Christmas decor, taking down the outdoor lights, and packing it all away nicely. That wasn't too bad. What was a nightmare was taking the tree out the front door. Needles EVERYWHERE. I think I got them all, but I had to move furniture, sweep and sweep and sweep, and then since everything was pulled out, I washed all the floors. Everything looks great, but I am highly considering a fake tree next year.

Dropped 3 bags of clothes off to the Salvation Army box at my local grocery store. It is so convenient to have the box there. I know that I don't get a receipt for taxes, but I think I save more in gas and time by dropping them off at the store.

I'm signing in for a new year of destashing. I cleaned quite a big last year, but the cycle continues.

Yesterday I got rid of 2 grocery plastic sacks full of stuff from our pantry. I could barely walk in there due to cardboard, plastic and other junk on the floor. It's a walk in pantry I couldn't walk into. :) Now I can! :yay:

Next is the upstairs linen closets (3 of them). I'm not looking forward to these at all. I believe there will lots of donations in there.

Keep up the good work and lead a clutter free life!

Got my husband to go through his clothes today. I have 4 more bags of clothes to go to Salvation Army. I will be able to finish the master bedroom tomorrow. 1 babystep at a time!!!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter