• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2012/2013 Beach and Yacht FAQ- Closing Soon- New Thread Started- Don't Post Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh look! I found a picture of Tom! Look at that concentration! LOOK at that CHEST!!! I hope I can find a place to put those dollar bills!! :eek:

1-bartenders-are-233-times-more-likely-to-die-from-alcoholism-than-average.jpg

:eek: This makes me SOOO happy that I'll be turning 21 on my next trip. :eek: HOLY SMOKES. :love:

:eek: Oh my! If that is remotely what the bar tender looks like, I don't hold much hope for your laundry getting done! And they may find you :faint: somewhere under one of those Brad Pitt or George Clooney trees.

Pressure....DH tells me today "I have been watching lots of YouTube videos of the rooms and pool at Beach Club....do what you have to do to get us there."

I think this is a mission I can handle!;)

Here now

First PSA regarding the pool... The sandy bottom and quick changing shallow areas with no sand can stumble you up and damage a pedicure! Or a blister or hurt foot. dH just had foot surgery and I of course love a fresh pedicure before a trip and we both snagged our feet.

H2O products are no longer the blue one, but a grapefruit one that is much less luxurious. Oh and I was relying on using their products ... Housekeeping didn't leave us a new set today. :(

The aloe and clover scent at the beach club is just as refreshing as I hoped! Anyone have a link to getting something for the home to match? The company I was led to before seemed more like for hotel or very large home.

The walk from beach club to Hollywood studios seemed like a couple miles and took us 30 min... We thought we'd better just head over as there was no boat, and the boat near us by far. This isn't easy walking. Like I said, dh is just recovering from foot surgery. I would not walk it again unless I had to.

DisneyLAND is our home park, so of course everything seems like so much walking and so far away. And we are also used to be able to eat where we want relatively easy.

Our first day after flying from Seattle all day. We just wanted to check in, upgrade our annual passes to both parks and eat dinner. Then bed.... Thursday night, and everything was 1 hour wait. We didn't eat until 9... Ridiculous.... You should be able to easily dine at your resort!

Good thing the brown derby made up for that today!

What ever you do bring extra underwear. Somebody is bound to forget that and their bathing suit.. Another good thing to pack is your cell phone charger, camera charger, a charger for the chargers charger AND one of those multi-pronged ground fault extension cord rectangles. I found one with a looong cord and 8 plug spaces that are turned in different directions because some of those chargers have big old funky plugs and they take over the other plug spots.

Every time we go anywhere there is always just one plug in the room, behind the bed headboard and under a box spring. The skinniest member in the family gets the prize of crawling amongst the mummified Cheerios and jumbo dust bunnies to plug our bad boy charger in. The good news is that this also serves as our bed bug check because the plug is guaranteed to be located in an area so remote that that is where the bed bugs go to die. You can tell they are bed bugs by the inscriptions on their little tombstones. Anything ending with the name "Bug" is a bed bug burial plot. For example if you see "Fred Bug" then you know that's one. "Ringo Beetle" would be an example of a bug grave site that is not a bed bug burial location. FYI :thumbsup2

I'm also taking a roll of quarters or 3 for the laundry. I figure Tom Collins will let me charge my laundry room drinks to my room key. I also plan on bringing dollar bills in case Tom decides to do a little dance and help me fluff and fold. What goes on in the laundry room stays in the laundry room.... right???

Oh look! I found a picture of Tom! Look at that concentration! LOOK at that CHEST!!! I hope I can find a place to put those dollar bills!! :eek:

1-bartenders-are-233-times-more-likely-to-die-from-alcoholism-than-average.jpg

I'd also let you know that we are taking our refillable mugs, but that is illegal, so we would never do that. Nope, we got $14.99 dollars worth of soda out of those tiny little mugs the last time so they are just making the trip for old times sake. They'll stay in the luggage with the dirty laundry where they can reflect on what a tremendous value they actually were on the last trip.

The other thing we take that comes in handy is a night light, but since we will have a small lighted tree in our room that will be the night light. One year we forgot the night light and we tried to use those light up glow cubes that come with the kids drinks. Well THAT didn't work so now we just leave one permanently in the suit case and we are good to go.

So Steph, it's good that you are "wasting time" on the Dis boards when your plane leaves in like 5 minutes and you STILL are not packed. look at all the tips you picked up from old NM~

I love you!!! This made me :rotfl2:, and the picture made me drool. And I laughed out loud at your plug story. I had not read this before leaving (we're at the airport now), but this morning as we were getting ready to walk out the door, my husband said, "Did you pack a power strip?" I was like, "What for?!" Clearly, you and he went to the same Vacation Preparation School. ;)

Almost on the plane!! :dance3::cool1::banana:

Oh yes and wifi is beyond horrible.. I turned it off becausey iPhone 5 is faster with it's LTE.

It's really frustrating.

I took a few weeks off from the boards and all of a sudden we are less than 60 days from our first stay at YC. We have stayed faithfully at Poly CL every January and this year we are changing resorts. That said, I feel like I don't know the ins and outs of the resort. So - here I am, reading the boards and trying to soak up all of your wonderful knowledge.
Here's what I have booked so far:
We are staying Jan 26-Feb 1st, myself, dh, dd(11), and ds(5):
I booked the pirates and pals fireworks cruise on monday night (went to disney store and bought Captain hook's hook and will write a letter from him to my son and give to him for Christmas)
I booked an illuminations cruise out of YC for wednesday for my hubbys bday
I booked the epcot snorkeling nemo tank for my dd for Christmas and the scuba diving for my dh.
We are ap holders so we've done the parks and was looking for different activities that we wouldn't normally do.
If anyone has any suggestions at all about YC, please let me know - we are staying YC CL GV room and if anyone has a suggestion about a room, I would love to hear it. I am hoping we won't be comparing the Poly to the YC the whole time, that we will just enjoy the change. With most of the activities centered around Epcot and YC, I think its a good change. And my kids love to swim no matter how cold it is outside so Stormalong Bay should be a hit.
Thanks in advance for any advice - love this thread. YC may be our new home away from home.

Ninjamom-you are seriously good craic :goodvibes You make me laugh:rotfl2: I have to confess I laughed so hard I snorted and we all know how that's just not pretty:lmao:
I bet you keep your family in stitches :thumbsup2

For the most part my family is not amused about the woman that insists they pack underwear on a vacation. I have put the fear of God in my boys with the statement that "they only sell cartoon underpants at WDW". They are way beyond that stage so it was a motivator to say the least. I've put a suitcase out for each of them and two of them had underwear put in them right away!

Thanks for that pic, NinjaMom!! You just helped me decide . . . Beach Club in May it is!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
I spend a lot of pool time with DGrD;)

When I'm at the resort I shall contact human resources and see if they will consider actually hiring a "Tom Collins" for the laundry room as a marketing tool. If they did I have a feeling that the BC/YC will be harder to book than the Castle Suite... I can just see women lined up for miles with suitcases filled with not so dirty laundry and a new ban on "Laundry room hopping".

Are you closely related to Marlton Mom? The posting styles, the use of these kind of pictures, and the sign off using ~ by your name is almost identical.

Nope, but thanks for the compliment.

Here now

First PSA regarding the pool... The sandy bottom and quick changing shallow areas with no sand can stumble you up and damage a pedicure! Or a blister or hurt foot. dH just had foot surgery and I of course love a fresh pedicure before a trip and we both snagged our feet.

H2O products are no longer the blue one, but a grapefruit one that is much less luxurious. Oh and I was relying on using their products ... Housekeeping didn't leave us a new set today. :(

The aloe and clover scent at the beach club is just as refreshing as I hoped! Anyone have a link to getting something for the home to match? The company I was led to before seemed more like for hotel or very large home.

The walk from beach club to Hollywood studios seemed like a couple miles and took us 30 min... We thought we'd better just head over as there was no boat, and the boat near us by far. This isn't easy walking. Like I said, dh is just recovering from foot surgery. I would not walk it again unless I had to.

DisneyLAND is our home park, so of course everything seems like so much walking and so far away. And we are also used to be able to eat where we want relatively easy.

Our first day after flying from Seattle all day. We just wanted to check in, upgrade our annual passes to both parks and eat dinner. Then bed.... Thursday night, and everything was 1 hour wait. We didn't eat until 9... Ridiculous.... You should be able to easily dine at your resort!

Good thing the brown derby made up for that today!

Thanks for the report. I hope hubby's foot is feeling better. Can you or anyone else there now tell me about the weather? I can't decide if I should over pack for warm weather or cold weather. Your tip about the hair care products has me thinking I will just bring my own. Be sure to talk with housekeeping about the lack of products in your room and see if you can request the other kind that you like. I'd bet if they had that in stock they'd run it up to your room as a special delivery and then you would be wagging your tail over that. The other thing we do no matter what resort we stay at is call housekeeping when we leave the room and request that they come while we are out in the morning. We do this in case someone wants to come back in the afternoon for a nap (DH!) Sometimes they can accommodate that request and sometimes they can't.

I love you!!! This made me :rotfl2:, and the picture made me drool. And I laughed out loud at your plug story. I had not read this before leaving (we're at the airport now), but this morning as we were getting ready to walk out the door, my husband said, "Did you pack a power strip?" I was like, "What for?!" Clearly, you and he went to the same Vacation Preparation School. ;)

Almost on the plane!! :dance3::cool1::banana:

Have a great trip!! :cool1:

~NM

Ninja Mom said:
(Padding around on soft, noiseless Ninja feet....) Yes, the rumor's are true... I DO HAVE A TRIP COMING UP SOON! SOON, SOON, SOON, SOON, SOON, SOON, SOON!!!!

AFTER THE PARK CLOSES, as long as you are on Main street you can shop after the park closes while other people are thundering towards the buses.
I'd give it from 45 mins to an hour before I tried to leave when the park closes after Wishes.

Another tip I really love while waiting for the bus lines to clear out is to hang out on a bench by the castle and just watch it change colors for a while. Also, there are other benches and places to sit near the flag pole closer to the exit. Pull up a bench by the castle and people and castle watch. After a long night in the park it sure beats standing in some massive bus line with cranky people. You can do this for a surprisingly long time, certainly long enough to clear out the bus lines. Just be sure to hang out in this Main street area and you should be fine. You will not be allowed back into any of the lands and you must stay in the hub/main street area.

Often times if you stay after the Official Park closing time you will get to watch something called the "Kiss Goodnight" castle show. This is a choreographed song and light show that the castle does that is very sweet. Most people miss it because they are in such a hurry to leave, but in those quiet, last moments it's a real treat to see. If the workers need to clean the hub just move further back, say near Casey's and the tables there.

The one thing to remember is that Disney transportation will get you back to your Disney hotel no matter how late you leave.... really, no matter how late. Trust me on that one. They will emphasize that it's not a problem and it's not like you are keeping employees from going home any earlier. These employees work the late shift and they have to stay anyway to get their weekly hours.

So the secret to a successful exit is to not be in such a hurry to leave. Find yourself someplace comfortable to sit and watch something pretty or interesting. Anyway that's how my family does it. Good luck and have a GREAT trip. Maybe I'll see you down there. Look for the harried woman with 3 teen boys who forgot to pack their underwear and bathing suits. I'll be the one chasing them in the lobby and trying to whack them with a pool noodle.

~NM
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a great plan, but not sure I could get my hubby to go along. I'll also have some tired kiddos. We will have to see everyone's energy level. But, it's a great option. I would also love to see the "Kiss Goodnight" show.

Hope you have a great trip too! If I see you chasing your boys with the pool noodle, I'll say "hi."

CT Disney said:
I have to tell you...

I sit down with this thread every day around 4:30 with my hot cup of coffee. It is the most relaxing part of my day by far! When I get to those last few dreaded sips I have to peel myself away to go make dinner and all those other mom-ly duties. I am a pre-school teacher so, trust me, those few minutes with his thread and a cup of coffee are priceless. So thank you to everyone who contributes!

On a side note, the kids (DS 10 and DD 13) have no idea we are going to Disney in April. They know we are going to visit my sister in California this summer so we told them "no way can we afford Disney too!"

It's going to be a Christmas morning surprise! I made them a Shutterfly photobook of our 2012 trip and on the last page it says something to the effect of "Remember what a great time we had?? So how about we do it all again? How does April vacation sound?" On the last page I've got loads of pictures of YC and SAB. The kids have never been to YC but my DH and I have, so the kids know all about it thru us. They're going to be so excited (I hope!)

Thanks again to everyone for making this such a rockin' thread! (especially Dee) :goodvibes

Sounds like a great way to reveal the surprise!

Steph H said:
The first thing I did when I woke up this morning was stumble to the computer and log into the official Disneyworld site so that it could tell me "1 day until my vacation!" :banana:

Of course, considering that we leave in less than 24 hours and I have yet to pull out the suitcases...I should be less excited. I should also not be on the DIS!! :rotfl2:

Have a fantastic trip!

Hello everyone I have been a lurker for some time now. We r planning our next trip to wdw. The only thing we can decide on is the BC lol! Originally we were planning on MNSSH in sept but then I found a travel agency with a unbelievable deal for the last week in August. I just don't know what to do now. Ahhhhh! Ok finally my questions. Info first our family room 1-me, DH 2kids (2&7) at the time of travel. Room2 mom& 82 grandmother.
I read on another thread that the standard view rooms, views are horrible. I know standard is a standard view. I am just happy to be at the BC. My concern is I want a full balcony. If we book standard view can we possible get a full balcony? Question#2 time difference...... I'm concerned about the August heat. Aug 25-sept1 we are traveling with 2 kids(2&7) and my 82 yr young grandmother. If we travel that week I save $500 on each room. If we travel in September 15-26 , would it really be any cooler? I am soooo torn on what to do. Our whole trip was centered around MNSSH but a $500 saving per room is making me wonder. MNSSH who? Should I take the August deal? What would u do? Question #3- if we stay in August the deal does not include DDP we would pay OOP. We do have the option of CL with the deal. It would cost the same price as if we traveled in sept on disney prices. Without having the DDP which we r accustom to having because with the kids we have to sit down for a TS meal everyday is having the option of CL worth it. My husband & kids are use to having 3 meals lol at home.
My mom and I have been going back and forth with these questions for over a month. We keep changing our minds. Maybe some other opinions would help. BC is my dream resort, I can't wait!!!

Hello everyone I have been a lurker for some time now. We r planning our next trip to wdw. The only thing we can decide on is the BC lol! Originally we were planning on MNSSH in sept but then I found a travel agency with a unbelievable deal for the last week in August. I just don't know what to do now.

Welcome!
party::welcome:party:

Ok finally my questions. Info first our family room 1-me, DH 2kids (2&7) at the time of travel. Room2 mom& 82 grandmother.
I read on another thread that the standard view rooms, views are horrible. I know standard is a standard view. I am just happy to be at the BC. My concern is I want a full balcony. If we book standard view can we possible get a full balcony?

I'm pretty sure I read that half of ALL rooms at the BC have the full balcony so if you put your first request on the reservation for a balcony you stand a decent, but not guaranteed, chance of getting one. Remember when you check in at the hotel to talk to the person checking you in about how important this is and I think they should probably be able to help you out.

Question#2 time difference...... I'm concerned about the August heat. Aug 25-sept1 we are traveling with 2 kids(2&7) and my 82 yr young grandmother. If we travel that week I save $500 on each room. If we travel in September 15-26 , would it really be any cooler? I am soooo torn on what to do. Our whole trip was centered around MNSSH but a $500 saving per room is making me wonder. MNSSH who? Should I take the August deal? What would u do?

As for the heat it's not going to be any cooler in a couple of short weeks so you can factor that out of the equation. If it were me I'd think about the main focus of the trip. Is it about where you stay or what you will be doing? The nice thing about Disney is that things like the Halloween party or the hotel will still be there the next year, so if you had to choose between the savings date or the Halloween date you could decide which you really wanted to do more. If you go earlier and there is no party just decide if you will go again later a few years from now and catch it another time.

Question #3- if we stay in August the deal does not include DDP we would pay OOP. We do have the option of CL with the deal. It would cost the same price as if we traveled in sept on disney prices. Without having the DDP which we r accustom to having because with the kids we have to sit down for a TS meal everyday is having the option of CL worth it. My husband & kids are use to having 3 meals lol at home.
My mom and I have been going back and forth with these questions for over a month. We keep changing our minds. Maybe some other opinions would help. BC is my dream resort, I can't wait!!!

I have never experienced club level so others will have to speak to that. I would think that with 5 people in the room and only having to pay for the room upgrade to club level, versus per person, that club level would be a bargain for your sized family with savings over having to pay for a dining plan breakfast. With club level you can cross breakfast off the list as well as appetizers and treats eaten at night. That could be a lot of savings, especially if you are coming back to the hotel during the day for a break.

Many people think the dining plan is a time hog and a money waster, but if you have big eaters that eat like that, even when it is hot out, then that may be the way to go for you.

I think the key here is to decide what kind of a trip this will be. In that kind of late summer heat I would definitely plan on a sensible touring plan and pool breaks in the middle of the day. This would mean that you would use club level even more than just for breakfast, as opposed to if you were park commandos and didn't stop until you dropped, which is unlikely due to the heat and the younger kids and Grandma.

I think what's called for here is a balanced "Do a little of everything" plan with the expectation that you will be spending some time in the parks, some time at the resort (swimming when it's that hot out!). Next you will be planning the meal breaks carefully to utilize the club level breakfast, snacks and possibly appetizers. Don't forget that when it's hot out it's hard to eat a lot, especially at the restaurants. When my guys were little and it was hot they always wanted to graze and not sit down to a big meal. Now they are eating machines so that is out the door!

If it were me I'd plan a couple of table service meals, pay out of pocket and then just do counter service and the Club Level breakfast and treats back at the hotel. That should be plenty of food, especially when it is hot out and you will save money (and time!) over the dining plan.

The expectations here are the key. If this is a "Do a little of everything" trip then go in August and save the money. I think that due to the heat and the make up of your traveling party (older/younger people) your plans are pretty much going to go the way of the afternoon break.

The best part about your whole touring quandary is that the BC is a really great place for a vacation during your time period and with your family needs. I think you are going to have a great trip. Just have a reasonable expectation in mind about what you want to do (lots of sit down meals or more time at the resort, swimming and snacking on club level) and you should be good to go.

Welcome to the thread and keep us posted on your thoughts and concerns. We are happy to help!

~NM
PS. just thought of something else. If you do do Club level then I would request a room close to the club level lounge as my other request.

It is hot hot hot! High 70's

We are from the northwest and that's August summer... We are dying. And I am frustrated by the lack of a/c.

Disney LAND is our home park and every building feels so cool and refreshing. Here some of the buildings are hotter than outside.

But there are people with Christmas sweaters.

We brought sweatshirts but haven't even bothered to being them with us even at night.

Hello everyone I have been a lurker for some time now. We r planning our next trip to wdw. The only thing we can decide on is the BC lol! Originally we were planning on MNSSH in sept but then I found a travel agency with a unbelievable deal for the last week in August. I just don't know what to do now. Ahhhhh! Ok finally my questions. Info first our family room 1-me, DH 2kids (2&7) at the time of travel. Room2 mom& 82 grandmother.

Question #3- if we stay in August the deal does not include DDP we would pay OOP. We do have the option of CL with the deal. It would cost the same price as if we traveled in sept on disney prices. Without having the DDP which we r accustom to having because with the kids we have to sit down for a TS meal everyday is having the option of CL worth it. My husband & kids are use to having 3 meals lol at home.

Given the different ages and having multiple rooms, I'd highly vote for the CL options. Like NinjaMom said, with the number in your party, CL is a good deal. What I love most about CL is the opportunity to have a relaxed breakfast at everyone's pace, and the availability of snacks and beverages when you return to the room.

We've never been able to convince ourselves that we would rather have DDP over CL. For us, my husband is an early riser and my son is a typical late teen, so when my husband gets up he goes and grabs a bagel, and then we all three go for our breakfast later, or if our son isn't getting up, my husband and I go back for my breakfast.

When we come back from the parks, and might be tired or cranky, stopping for a treat and drink is a perfect pick me up.

I think your mom and grandmother would love being able to walk down the hall for a treat, or when the 2 year old is down for the night, the lounge will be a nice place to take the 7 year old for a snack, and the adults for an night cap.

Just my thoughts. CL really is a different experience and decision for everyone.

NM, thanks for finding Tom's picture. I can't wait to meet him in July! Pretty soon, no one will care if they get a full balcony at BC. They will all want a quiet pool/"loaded doing loads" laundry room view. Or just simply, a "TC view" room!

To all who are there now, have fun!

Thanks so much for your suggestions I am such a over planner. I think too much, then re-think it again. Lol. It's funny the one thing my mom and I are sold on from the beginning is BC. In April we had dinner at cape May's clam bake with family from FL it is now on our must do list for every trip.
I have completely planned our OOP for food if we travel in August. I am going to rework the"numbers" seriously factoring in CL. I would love to do it. My husband just goes along with what I say (love him!) my mom is the one that has to be won over lol.
I'm afraid if a splurge so much on this trip how will I ever go back. I found out on our trip in April I am truly a deluxe disney girl. I promise I am far from a snob. I just like smaller resorts, balconies and interior corridors

I'm back and trying to read all my emails, open mail, do wash, and I'm back at the Beach Club Sunday, Monday and Saturday this week. I can use the extra bucks for the holiday shopping and to pay for all the drinks Bob had on the cruise!

Missed you all while I was away and thanks Dee for posting all the pictures I've sent you.

Teena and Bob are back from the cruise. She sent me pictures and I will post them as soon as I can. I am experiencing techincial difficulties with my computer today. It keeps crashing when we are working with photos. :eek:

Are there any updates on when Hurricane Hanna's will be open? Is it still set for the 18th of December?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter