$20 Trick.....at Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rotfl2: No changed story. I should clarify, I have only been to Vegas one time and the person I went with used it when we checked into the Bellagio. We were upgraded to a very nice suite. So, I guess that counts. I am way too shy to try it personally, but it was used in my presence. Would you like me to take a polygraph? :rolleyes2 Man, tough crowd!

Carlyzmom said:
:rotfl2: No changed story. I should clarify, I have only been to Vegas one time and the person I went with used it when we checked into the Bellagio. We were upgraded to a very nice suite. So, I guess that counts. I am way too shy to try it personally, but it was used in my presence. Would you like me to take a polygraph? :rolleyes2 Man, tough crowd!

I can tell you I have done it- however, I have also "swung and missed". And lots of others have too - it is not like the op was inventing it. At a minimum, I usually get a preferred view (of the strip rather than the back), but other times I have been put in a much higher end suite. In Vegas (and AC to a lesser extent), there is just this culture of tipping, including what I call the "professional tip collectors" at each hotel - the bellmen outside the hotels who are putting you into a cab. The cabs are lined up a quarter-mile deep, so not really "hailing" a cab, and expected to tip even if no luggage, etc.

And the one commenter is probably right - at the nicer hotels the "20" trick is probably at least the "40 or 50" trick, and if you told me 100 gave you better success, I certainly would not doubt you.

For what it's worth --

Once when we were checking in at the podium for our ADR at San Angel Inn, the guy just in front of us didn't have an ADR (no seating AT ALL was available without one -- couldn't even put your name in and wait) and was trying everything he could think of to get a table. So of course he pulls out a $20 and the CM went from trying to calmly explain that nothing was available to getting quite ticked off with the *guest.* The way the CMs demeanor changed was like seeing a switch get flipped -- he was clearly very insulted and it was clear that the guest had crossed a line. Then the guest got even more upset and starts to yell, and the CM says he'll have to call security but the guest's wife and kids show up at that point and start dragging daddy away.

Pathetic.

So, yeah, WDW has standards/rules, and greasing the wheels isn't the way it works....

Housekeeping is not considered to be a tippable position either, but guests keep doing it, and housekeepers will take the tip since no one is the wiser (I imagine anyway).

So, if the $20 trick DOES work at a WDW front desk, chances are none of us would *know* it unless we try and succeed.

I have done it at the swan & dolphin. 2 times I was "upgraded" to one of those alcove rooms, 1 time I was "upgraded" to a fireworks view room. Those 3 times I had just a regular reservation, nothing special. But being nice & asking if there was anything they could do to make the trip extra special in addition to the $20 seemed to help. I have never done it in a Disney resort, from what I understand they aren;t allowed to accept tips like this?

I have done it at the swan & dolphin. 2 times I was "upgraded" to one of those alcove rooms, 1 time I was "upgraded" to a fireworks view room. Those 3 times I had just a regular reservation, nothing special. But being nice & asking if there was anything they could do to make the trip extra special in addition to the $20 seemed to help. I have never done it in a Disney resort, from what I understand they aren;t allowed to accept tips like this?

For what it's worth --

Once when we were checking in at the podium for our ADR at San Angel Inn, the guy just in front of us didn't have an ADR (no seating AT ALL was available without one -- couldn't even put your name in and wait) and was trying everything he could think of to get a table. So of course he pulls out a $20 and the CM went from trying to calmly explain that nothing was available to getting quite ticked off with the *guest.* The way the CMs demeanor changed was like seeing a switch get flipped -- he was clearly very insulted and it was clear that the guest had crossed a line. Then the guest got even more upset and starts to yell, and the CM says he'll have to call security but the guest's wife and kids show up at that point and start dragging daddy away.

Pathetic.

So, yeah, WDW has standards/rules, and greasing the wheels isn't the way it works....
I have seen that happen as well...really sad to watch the CM try to deal with someone like that. But, I have also been able to report that CM to GS for doing such a wonderful job of diffusing a bad situation!!!
It amazes me to see what guests think is appropriate behaviour at WDW!!!

So, if the $20 trick DOES work at a WDW front desk, chances are none of us would *know* it unless we try and succeed.
Oh, believe me, it doesn't. I have friends that are CMs and have been told on several occasions that they know people that have been immediately terminated for taking that 'tip'!!! Other CMs seem to be quick to report that particular issue...rightfully so.

Oh, believe me, it doesn't. I have friends that are CMs and have been told on several occasions that they know people that have been immediately terminated for taking that 'tip'!!! Other CMs seem to be quick to report that particular issue...rightfully so.

Hmmmm....If it "doesn't" happen, then who are the people that have been terminated?

If it "doesn't" happen, then what did happen on those "several occasions?"

If it "doesn't" happen, then who are the CM's turning in?

You are insisting something is never DONE by describing how the people got disciplined for DOING it.

LOL, look, I'm sure it doesn't happen much, I believe you that the penalty is severe.

But "believe me", based on your knowledge that people have been terminated for doing it, at least "several times", then I just can't believe at least a few CM's have done it without getting caught.

Edited to add: Don't get me wrong, I don't believe it is widespread. I would never do it. I don't think it fits into the Disney plan.

Obviously if someone does something and they don't get caught, then nobody else ever knows that they've done it. But we do know what the rule is at Disney resorts. Then the question becomes "should I try it if there's a chance the front desk CM will take it and give me something that I want, even though they could get fired for doing so?"

Certainly nobody on HERE would try it!! Gasp! :scared1::scared1:

I was just tossing it out there to see if people outside of the normal Vegas arena had tried it. I am not suggesting that anyone does! For some reason, in Vegas, it is very accepted but anywhere else it is seen as bribery. Very interesting topic, at the very least. Certainly got people all in a tizzy :rotfl2:

Hmmmm....If it "doesn't" happen, then who are the people that have been terminated?

If it "doesn't" happen, then what did happen on those "several occasions?"

If it "doesn't" happen, then who are the CM's turning in?

You are insisting something is never DONE by describing how the people got disciplined for DOING it.

LOL, look, I'm sure it doesn't happen much, I believe you that the penalty is severe.

But "believe me", based on your knowledge that people have been terminated for doing it, at least "several times", then I just can't believe at least a few CM's have done it without getting caught.

Edited to add: Don't get me wrong, I don't believe it is widespread. I would never do it. I don't think it fits into the Disney plan.
I am not going to get into an argument here. We all know that unofficial stuff happens. BUT, here on the DIS? We avoid trying to give people the impression that something can be done, when it would be either very difficult or just plain wrong.
I'm not really sure what your argument is. When I say 'oh, believe me, it doesn't' I merely mean that honest CMs will not take your proffered tip, and if a CM did, and was seen by another, honest CM? They would most likely be reported. Nothing is ever 100%.Obviously there are people that may get away with it. But it is expressly against Disney official policy and a CM will be terminated if they are found to be doing it.
Geez.

Well, when I posed the question in the first place, I had no idea it was against Disney policy. It's not against policy in Vegas, obviously. So, that makes a huge difference. I would NEVER want to put a CM in an uncomfortable position. That's what is great about these boards. You can learn things. Even if you have to get a little beat up along the way. :sad2:

Disney is not Vegas by any stretch of the imagination.

Offering a $20 "tip" for a upgrade is considered tacky in Disney (also definitely not allowed).

For what it's worth --

Pathetic.

I've seen that not once, but twice. The first time was at of all places Mama Melrose and the second was at the podium where you check in for Le Cellier. Both times the guy was trying to check in, right in front of us and was not taking no for an answer when they were told that walk ups were not being accepted. Both times the CMs were very polite, but firm that there was no way to get them in. Both times dad pleaded for awhile, joked around for a minute, then finally tried to slip them a folded bill to work them in. Both times it was like a switch was turned on in the CMs, as soon as the money was offered. The nice gloves came off and they weren't so polite in telling the customer to step aside, they weren't getting in.:rotfl:

We were once the one at fault for offering a tip when we weren't supposed to though. The first time I ever took my mom down there, we had a very nice bus driver, who helped my mom get her ECV on the bus. She just automatically reached in her bag and tried to tip him, before I could stop her. He laughed and was very nice, but told her in no uncertain terms that bus drivers were not allowed to accept tips and it would cost him his job to do so.

It's not against policy in Vegas, obviously.

Just because it may be common place in Vegas doesn't mean that it is not against hotel policy. I would find it hard to believe that any hotel would explicitly allow front desk employees to accept bribes, and that is exactly what you are offering, a bribe, not a tip.

Swan and Dolphin are not Disney owned and operated resorts.

I am not going to get into an argument here. We all know that unofficial stuff happens. BUT, here on the DIS? We avoid trying to give people the impression that something can be done, when it would be either very difficult or just plain wrong.
I'm not really sure what your argument is. When I say 'oh, believe me, it doesn't' I merely mean that honest CMs will not take your proffered tip, and if a CM did, and was seen by another, honest CM? They would most likely be reported. Nothing is ever 100%.Obviously there are people that may get away with it. But it is expressly against Disney official policy and a CM will be terminated if they are found to be doing it.
Geez.

Would a housekeeper be terminated if found doing it?

Would a housekeeper be terminated if found doing it?

Probably not. And in Disworld it's all warm and fuzzy to tip a mousekeeper, it's horribly disgusting to tip a front desk cm.

They are both 'non-tipped' positions, (In Disneys terms, not mine), but people looking in from the outside like tipping Mousekeepers but hate tipping other resort employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter