2 Kids,2 Dogs,1200 Miles: 2 More Weeks in FL 2 - Finished with a Blast! P40

The Fourth of July, 2011

When we were initially planning this trip back around Christmas of last year, we knew we were going to drive to Florida for two weeks. What we didn't know, however, was which two weeks those would be. This was the first year my department at work instituted a "lottery" system for vacation days. Anyone that wanted to take time off during the weeks around major holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Christmas, etc) would submit the request, and on or around March 1st, the drawing would be held to see who would get their vacation approved.

We were thinking that one of the highlights of the trip would be to see the 4th of July Fireworks at Disney World. The problem was that my boss always took off during 4th of July week. And I'm not supposed to be off when she's off because there would be no one around to keep the computers up. So while I was excited at the chance to get that week off, it really put a crimp in our planning style not knowing until March 1st what the dates of our trip would be. So we did what any veteran Disney planner would do - we planned two trips. One for June 18th - July 2nd, another for June 25 - July 9th. We made all of "important" ADRs for the common week (June 26th - July 2nd), along with a few during the week before and week after, knowing that we would cancel some of them.

Well, lottery day came at work and I was approved for 4th of July week! We immediately canceled the extra ADRs and finalized our plans to watch the fireworks.

But first, we planned to spend the day doing what some people consider a vacation all to itself - nothing. We swam in the pool at Grandma & Grandpa's house. We played with the toys that Grandma & Grandpa spoiled the kids with.

DSCF1064.JPG

We made a nice picnic lunch and made some treats.

DSCF1065.JPG

But mostly, we tried to stay cool. Because it was hot that day. HOT. ...like Africa hot....like surface of the sun hot....like, well, 4th of July in Florida hot.

DSCF1050.JPG

How hot was it?
Well, the crayon was in the shade.

IMG00353-20110704-1501.jpg

That's how hot it was.

But we didn't let that stop us. After spending a relaxing day at the house, we cleaned ourselves up and headed off to our dinner ADR. But first, a few family shots of us dressed up in our "USA! USA! USA!" finest...

IMG_8057.JPG

IMG_8058.JPG

And of course, the one we lead off the Trip Report with...

IMG_8060.JPG

If you hadn't guessed by now, we had a dinner ADR at 'Ohana. But we made it for way to early to watch the fireworks while eating. We weren't disappointed by this, because we had other plans. But those will have to wait. Right now, it was lei making time!

IMG_8064.JPG

IMG_8066.JPG

And what comes after lei making time? Well, dinner time of course! But that's for the next entry...

This was the first year my department at work instituted a "lottery" system for vacation days. Anyone that wanted to take time off during the weeks around major holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Christmas, etc) would submit the request, and on or around March 1st, the drawing would be held to see who would get their vacation approved.
Seems kind of fair... and kind of like a pain in the butt. How did it work for everyone?

We played with the toys that Grandma & Grandpa spoiled the kids with.
Wait a minute... Grandma and Grandpa spoiled the kids???? :scared1:

How hot was it?
Wow... that's hot. You should have fried an egg next to it to help emphasize the point though.

We weren't disappointed by this, because we had other plans. But those will have to wait.
Hmmm... a teaser. Interesting.

And what comes after lei making time? Well, dinner time of course! But that's for the next entry...
What better way to celebrate the birth of our nation than to sit around watching stuff blow up while you try to recover from a meat coma? :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

This was the first year my department at work instituted a "lottery" system for vacation days.

Could be worse… we have the “Accounting Calendar” system. If it’s within the first two weeks of any fiscal month… I ain’t allowed to take vacation (which immediately nukes New Year’s, most Easter and spring breaks, the 4th, and Labor day). They also do not like for me to be out of state during Nov, Dec, Jan or Feb (but will sometimes make exceptions). Between these restrictions and the school calendar, planning any trip is mightily difficult.

So we did what any veteran Disney planner would do - we planned two trips. One for June 18th - July 2nd, another for June 25 - July 9th. We made all of "important" ADRs for the common week (June 26th - July 2nd), along with a few during the week before and week after, knowing that we would cancel some of them.

Good plan… it’s as if you’d dealt with such things before.

But first, we planned to spend the day doing what some people consider a vacation all to itself - nothing.

"Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand…"

I intend to spoil my grandchildren.
It’s really the only type of reliable payback any parent can hope for.

How hot was it?

It was so hot that…

Cows are giving evaporated milk
Chickens are laying boiled eggs
I saw 2 fire hydrants fighting over a dog
The birds are using potholders to pull worms out of the ground.
Musicians were snorting ice cubes
I wore my wrinkled clothes outside, and got them steam pressed
You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.

(and this one is actually from personal experience)
The best parking place is determined by shade rather then distance

Great picture…
I believe that girl’s smile could just about light up even the darkest cavern.

The Fourth of July, 2011

When we were initially planning this trip back around Christmas of last year, we knew we were going to drive to Florida for two weeks. What we didn't know, however, was which two weeks those would be. This was the first year my department at work instituted a "lottery" system for vacation days. Anyone that wanted to take time off during the weeks around major holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Christmas, etc) would submit the request, and on or around March 1st, the drawing would be held to see who would get their vacation approved.

We were thinking that one of the highlights of the trip would be to see the 4th of July Fireworks at Disney World. The problem was that my boss always took off during 4th of July week. And I'm not supposed to be off when she's off because there would be no one around to keep the computers up. So while I was excited at the chance to get that week off, it really put a crimp in our planning style not knowing until March 1st what the dates of our trip would be. So we did what any veteran Disney planner would do - we planned two trips. One for June 18th - July 2nd, another for June 25 - July 9th. We made all of "important" ADRs for the common week (June 26th - July 2nd), along with a few during the week before and week after, knowing that we would cancel some of them.

Well, lottery day came at work and I was approved for 4th of July week! We immediately canceled the extra ADRs and finalized our plans to watch the fireworks.

But first, we planned to spend the day doing what some people consider a vacation all to itself - nothing. We swam in the pool at Grandma & Grandpa's house. We played with the toys that Grandma & Grandpa spoiled the kids with.

DSCF1064.JPG

We made a nice picnic lunch and made some treats.

DSCF1065.JPG

But mostly, we tried to stay cool. Because it was hot that day. HOT. ...like Africa hot....like surface of the sun hot....like, well, 4th of July in Florida hot.

DSCF1050.JPG

How hot was it?

IMG00353-20110704-1501.jpg

Wow...that was hot!

That's how hot it was.

But we didn't let that stop us. After spending a relaxing day at the house, we cleaned ourselves up and headed off to our dinner ADR. But first, a few family shots of us dressed up in our "USA! USA! USA!" finest...

IMG_8057.JPG

IMG_8058.JPG

And of course, the one we lead off the Trip Report with...

IMG_8060.JPG

These are great photos.

If you hadn't guessed by now, we had a dinner ADR at 'Ohana. But we made it for way to early to watch the fireworks while eating. We weren't disappointed by this, because we had other plans. But those will have to wait. Right now, it was lei making time!

IMG_8064.JPG

IMG_8066.JPG

That's so cool....I didn't know they did that.

What a teaser you are...that's not even a full update! :sad2:

Seems kind of fair... and kind of like a pain in the butt. How did it work for everyone?
I got what I wanted. Who care how it worked for everyone else? :confused3

(But, yes, it was a pain in the butt. Bambi and I are planners. Heck, we're already working on a 2013 trip. Having to wait that long to see if we can get days off really crimps out plans)

Wait a minute... Grandma and Grandpa spoiled the kids???? :scared1:
I know, it's hard to believe. Oh, and the sun will rise in the east tomorrow. Write it down.

Wow... that's hot. You should have fried an egg next to it to help emphasize the point though.
Eeehhhh...that the same area that was dripped on by a nice mix of antifreeze and rust. I don't think I'd be eating that egg.
Hmmm... a teaser. Interesting.
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser.
What better way to celebrate the birth of our nation than to sit around watching stuff blow up while you try to recover from a meat coma? :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:
My thoughts exactly!

Could be worse… we have the “Accounting Calendar” system. If it’s within the first two weeks of any fiscal month… I ain’t allowed to take vacation (which immediately nukes New Year’s, most Easter and spring breaks, the 4th, and Labor day). They also do not like for me to be out of state during Nov, Dec, Jan or Feb (but will sometimes make exceptions). Between these restrictions and the school calendar, planning any trip is mightily difficult.
Dude, that.....sucks.:sad1:

Good plan… it’s as if you’d dealt with such things before.
:rolleyes1

"Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand…"
:thumbsup2

I intend to spoil my grandchildren.
It’s really the only type of reliable payback any parent can hope for.
I'm already taking notes on the things my kids do so I can proportionately stick it to them.

It was so hot that…

Cows are giving evaporated milk
Chickens are laying boiled eggs
I saw 2 fire hydrants fighting over a dog
The birds are using potholders to pull worms out of the ground.
Musicians were snorting ice cubes
I wore my wrinkled clothes outside, and got them steam pressed
You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.

(and this one is actually from personal experience)
The best parking place is determined by shade rather then distance
Nice!

Great picture…
I believe that girl’s smile could just about light up even the darkest cavern.
Thanks! She really knows how to mug for the camera, doesn't she?

Wow...that was hot!
Yup. Even the pool felt like a bathtub. :scared:

These are great photos.
Thank you!

That's so cool....I didn't know they did that.
Yup, we had some time to kill since we got there early.

What a teaser you are...that's not even a full update! :sad2:

True, but I was looking through my pictures and thought that was a good place to take a break. I was going to do another right away, but then I didn't. How's that for an excuse?

Your pictures make it look SO FUN! Even if it was hot enough to melt crayons!

Thanks!

I see you're a Predators fan. Their top minor league affiliate, the Milwaukee Admirals, is just up the road. We love going to their games - Evan even wants to be a hockey player so he can play for them. :thumbsup2

Well, lottery day came at work and I was approved for 4th of July week!

Given that this is probably the only lottery you'll ever win, it's not a bad one to win at all. But if you think about it, it's a lottery where winning requires you to pay money out.

Do you ever watch your parents spoil your kids rotten and then turn around and say, "Where were you when I was a kid?" :confused3

How hot was it?

:scared1: Glad you didn't have a tee time.

If you hadn't guessed by now, we had a dinner ADR at 'Ohana. But we made it for way to early to watch the fireworks while eating.

I think Andy's comment sums it up best. I can't top that one.

Beautiful picture! :goodvibes

+1 :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Ugh. Are you working for a communist country or something? That's getting ridiculous.

I will admit that I was upset for several hours after this but we still managed to have a good day. One thing as a parent I have tried to do is make life as normal as I can for both of my kids. Other than the little confusion that Madison had that started the problem I think she was completely unaware of anything else that occurred.

I hate to bring up 'old' stuff, but I am so sorry you had to go through this. I think at first it was an honest mistake and if the CM acted in a different manner and apologized right away, I'm sure there wouldn't been a problem. But to continue on and act like he (she?) did was uncalled for IMO. :sad2:

I'm just glad that Madison didn't realize what was going on.

HAppy New YEar Nemesis!!!!!!:thumbsup2<--- you decide what it is... :rolleyes1

I'm catching up so please bear with me....

Your golf outing look fun! You should of teed off on that gator!

Maybe you should use the 'Saw of Destiny' picture for your Christmas card next year? popcorn::

Why is Evan eating my winnings? Although, since I have a lifetime supply, he should be able to get one whenever he likes. Put it on my tab! :rotfl2:

We NEED to meet up again. We could put Madison, Evan, & Juliana on the tea cups together and let them have at it. :lmao::lmao:

Great Wishes pictures! Why are you standing in my spot? :scratchin

Hey, Barry. I'm on Day 8 of my trip with only four days to go. AND I started my PTR for January trip. Bambi's eating popcorn which I'm sure Ryder is loving....but you need to move along here. popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::
I'm glad you were slacking Barry!!!! I see you have taken some of the heat off me!!! :lmao::lmao:

I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN!

I promise. I haven't. Sometimes life just gets in the way. I'm working on the next update, but I can't promise when it will be up.

This Area Is Being Refurbished For Your Future Enjoyment
Great comeback!!!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Wow... you're really starting to be a lot more like your nemesis.:rolleyes1
Oh great, now I'm getting it here too. And I thought we were friends Andy? :confused3 popcorn::

Here you can use this. :lmao:

under_construction.gif
Great sign! Mind if I use that? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Looks like you had fun at AK!!!

So is it bad that we've never been on the River Rapids? I do hang my head in shame. What camera did you use on the ride?

How exciting that you got the kids on EE!!!! Evan is a thrill seeker now? :scared1:

How was dinner at GG? I mean you talked about the characters but nothing about the food. I've never eaten there so I was wondering.. :confused3

I'm all caught up now!!!! :woohoo::woohoo:

Cute pictures of the kids on the 4th! (I guess your pic was cute too :laughing:)

Madison looks very proud of her lei bracelet.

Can't wait to see mass quantities of meat being devoured! popcorn::popcorn::

Oh great, now I'm getting it here too. And I thought we were friends Andy? :confused3 popcorn::
You act like you're surprised.

By the way, this whole friend/nemesis thing is getting way too confusing. :faint: Does friend mean we like each other or don't like each other? :confused3

By the way, this whole friend/nemesis thing is getting way too confusing. :faint: Does friend mean we like each other or don't like each other? :confused3

I think this whole nemesis thing is kinda like Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader....You both have this "force" thing in common but you use it differently...and in the end you find out you're related and you have a hot princess for a sister!

Totally makes sense to me!

:rotfl2: :thumbsup2

Do you ever watch your parents spoil your kids rotten and then turn around and say, "Where were you when I was a kid?" :confused3

I watched my then infant daughter sitting at the breakfast tables with cookies in front of her. My comment... " I never got cookies for breakfast." In fact I couldn't even have cookie crisp cereal. :lmao:

Great sign! Mind if I use that? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Whnever you need it. ;)

Given that this is probably the only lottery you'll ever win, it's not a bad one to win at all. But if you think about it, it's a lottery where winning requires you to pay money out.
But isn't quality family time better than money?

Yeah, my credit card didn't buy that either when I wrote that on my statement instead of sending a check.

::yes::

:scared1: Glad you didn't have a tee time.
I forget, does the heat make a ball carry farther? Maybe an extra yard or two would be worth the heatstroke

I think Andy's comment sums it up best. I can't top that one.
Great, now Andy's gonna get a big head...

Beautiful picture! :goodvibes
Thanks. I just press the button, the model does the real work.

Ugh. Are you working for a communist country or something? That's getting ridiculous.
And you can't take off if the moon is full

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter