2/15/2013 - 8 Night Western Cruise, Galveston, TX

Gina, What is Tyler Dean's hourly rate? LOL!

I have all my FE gifts done and am working on boxing them up today. I can't believe that I am done! :cool1:

Gina, your idea sounds great, but mine are 7,4, and 4! Wish you were in our FEE. I would hire out your son! I think it will be fun to take the kids around to deliver. I had friends over for the Super Bowl and they helped me make one of my FEE gifts. They said they would never be able to go on DCL if they had to do all this. LOL! To each his own!!!! :)

My DD6 is SO excited to help deliver the gifts, especially the ones she helped make (and I'm not telling yall which ones she helped with so if you think MY crafting ability is the same level I'll never know...just a heads up...it is!) :rotfl:

I've got names on all of ours and am typing up a sheet with cabin numbers so I can just put everything in a bag and fish out as needed. Not sure how well that's going to work as this is our first time but I couldn't think of a better method. My SIL's wedding gift came today is a nice-size box from Amazon so guess where all my FEE gifts are going? :woohoo:

I'm about 75% done with the family gift now but I have to stop to work. Dang it. Don't they know I have some important crafting to do?!?!

Christy - Welcome to the group! Definitely check out the first post for info on meets and general DCL cruise 101 stuff. 9 days and counting!!!!:dance3:

Hello My name is Christy. New to this forum. I wish I would've known about this forum sooner. Better late than never. I've been reading up on lots of great ideas and stories.:)
My husband Jay and I surprised our 11 year old twin daughters for Christmas. We are so excited for our first ever cruise! :hyper:
Fish extenders, sounds like so much fun... Is it too late for me to get started on that? If so, it's ok... Next time :)

:banana:

Welcome Christy!

I think this now makes eight 11 year old girls, and that's just in our Dis group. :scared1: There are several 10 and 12 years olds too, so the tweens should have a great time! My dd11, Maggie, has been emailing some of the other girls, and was thrilled when I told her there was now a small army of tween girls. Now she's asking how many 11 year old boys there are. Not sure I like that....;)

This is our third DCL cruise, but first on the Magic. Looking forward to meeting everyone next week!!

And for the person who asked about the pools, yes they are heated. We were on the Dream last Christmas, and it was warmer in the pool that out of it. Right now the forecast for Galveston next Friday is a high of about 60 degrees and overcast. I don't think anyone will want to swim in that weather, even in a heated pool. But this is Texas, and the forecast can change many times in the next 9 days. :)

This is me right now - :stitch::goofy::donald::mickeyjum:goofy:

I can't sit still and I can't concentrate. :rolleyes1

Dorothy

Well I will have my 11yo nephew on board I'm hoping there will be plenty of boys on the cruise! I also have a 4yo DS and 6yo niece... my son is so excited he keeps looking at the ticker on my phone for the count down of how many days. .. I'm very nervous the won't like there kids club... he goes to day care so I think he will be fine but I know I want to do some mommy quiet time... and some of the single meets... so fingers crossed!
Also I'm still planning on doing a pirate outfit BUT ad back up I had shirts made for the family for $10 each! I'm excited! They are simple but save me from stressing out!

Hi all:

Does anyone know of any good family restaurants? We're going to be staying 2 nights in Galveston before the cruise, and 1 night in Houston after (although to be honest, we're probably going to have to get a quick bite at one of the shopping malls that last day ;) , hey a girl's gotta shop!:goodvibes

We're going to have a rental car, so location isn't an issue.:woohoo:

Thanks,

Natalie

I got most of the packing done today! I'm so excited! Just a few more things to add in that needed to be washed etc. I'm thinking that jeans will be needed for boarding the ship but I'm OK with that. 60's sounds heavenly vs. the 30's and 3 ft. of snow that we have right now. Today it finally got above freezing and the snow is melting a little. Up until today our temp was down in the teens! I just kind of wish I didn't have to go away this weekend, DH and I are taking our Sr. Highers on a winter retreat and I really want to be packing my before cruise bag etc! But that will have to wait as I need to use it this weekend. I'm starting to feel the stress of getting everything done!

Well I will have my 11yo nephew on board I'm hoping there will be plenty of boys on the cruise! I also have a 4yo DS and 6yo niece... my son is so excited he keeps looking at the ticker on my phone for the count down of how many days. .. I'm very nervous the won't like there kids club... he goes to day care so I think he will be fine but I know I want to do some mommy quiet time... and some of the single meets... so fingers crossed!

Also I'm still planning on doing a pirate outfit BUT ad back up I had shirts made for the family for $10 each! I'm excited! They are simple but save me from stressing out!

I refuse to stress out about pirate night, because I still refuse to accept that they did away with the Tropical Night party. Live steel pan band at dinner that night... it was awesome! So we'll be in our tropical finest. :)

I'm sure the kids will love the club -- I seriously can't imagine the type of child who *doesn't* love those kid areas on the ships!! If my parents had brought me when I was young, they would seriously have had to drag me out of there. So much fun stuff to do!!

Hi all:

Does anyone know of any good family restaurants? We're going to be staying 2 nights in Galveston before the cruise, and 1 night in Houston after (although to be honest, we're probably going to have to get a quick bite at one of the shopping malls that last day ;) , hey a girl's gotta shop!:goodvibes

We're going to have a rental car, so location isn't an issue.:woohoo:

Thanks,

Natalie

There are so many great places, Natalie! It really depends on your tastes. The best place I can direct you to is www.b4-u-eat.com. Just select Galveston from the "area of town" drop down on the left, and it'll give you info on a whole slew of places. If you have questions on any specific restaurant, just ask!

-gina-

There are so many great places, Natalie! It really depends on your tastes. The best place I can direct you to is www.b4-u-eat.com. Just select Galveston from the "area of town" drop down on the left, and it'll give you info on a whole slew of places. If you have questions on any specific restaurant, just ask!

-gina-

Wow! Thanks Gina:thumbsup2. Now I know where to look. Is there a specialty food of the area which I should try?

Thanks,

Natalie

Woot - they are all bagged, tagged and packed! Yippee!

Looking forward to distributing them all :-)
Betsy

Thanks y'all :) We will definitely try to show for the meets. My tweens are excited to meet new friends! I've been packing for weeks and it feels like I am going to forget something :scared:

How formal is formal night? :) Gown formal :)?

Christy :woohoo:

Looks like I'm going to have plenty of indoor time to get things done. If the weatherman are right we are getting a blizzard with 2 feet of snow. It's winter in new England. Did I mention that this messes up everything. Dogs haircut. My haircut. My pedicure sons eye appointment. Ugh. I need to move someplace warm

Laura

My 11 year old DS is a little freaked out about all the 11 year old girls ;-) He's going to cotillion this year so hopefully that will make it easier for him to talk to all the girls! In fact I have to go kick him to get out of the shower. He has to be dressed in a suit in 30 minutes - tonight is 'social etiquette' dinner - he best not be late to that one!

here he was last week all ready to go:

greg-cotillion.jpg

Can we get a poll of 11/12 year old boys that are probably going to the edge and/or to the 1st day meetup? He's in for both

Looks like I'm going to have plenty of indoor time to get things done. If the weatherman are right we are getting a blizzard with 2 feet of snow. It's winter in new England. Did I mention that this messes up everything. Dogs haircut. My haircut. My pedicure sons eye appointment. Ugh. I need to move someplace warm

Laura

Having lived in New York, South Dakota, Nebraska and Ohio - there's a reason we live in California - LOL! I can sure relate.

Welcome Christy!

And for the person who asked about the pools, yes they are heated. We were on the Dream last Christmas, and it was warmer in the pool that out of it. Right now the forecast for Galveston next Friday is a high of about 60 degrees and overcast. I don't think anyone will want to swim in that weather, even in a heated pool. But this is Texas, and the forecast can change many times in the next 9 days. :)

Dorothy

My kids will. They are on swim team and here in California there rant many indoor pools everything is outdoor. Their swim team practices year round outside. They had a meet in Dec and When we got to the pool to practice it was 36 degrees. :scared1: Heated pools are great once you are in. It's getting in and out that's hard (at least for me). BTW if it's that cold I won't be in.

MCKQuilt we are neighbors (sort of). We are in San Jose. We moved her almost 2 years ago and love the weather! DH and I always say, after living here where do you move? Anywhere else would be a weather down grade (well, maybe SoCa would be a little better)

along the same lines of finding it hard to work when we are days away from cruise, is anyone else finding it hard to work out? at this point, I give up. I was talking to DH tonight and my birthday is next week, we leave next Friday and I can't see us eating right while we are on ship. I guess I will go hard core on working out when we get back, lol :)

Oh yes you can! (eat right on the ship and exercise) Try everything on the menues in moderation. You'll be amazed at how much exercise you will get if you avoid the elevators (they can be crowded anyway). An evening stroll around the decks is wonderful and there is always the exercise room is you want to do more. Rent a bike on CC . Walk to the beach area instead of taking the tram. It is do-able! Find me, (Michaela - cabin 6066) if you need someone to walk with!

fatfish said:
I think this now makes eight 11 year old girls, and that's just in our Dis group. :scared1: There are several 10 and 12 years olds too, so the tweens should have a great time! My dd11, Maggie, has been emailing some of the other girls, and was thrilled when I told her there was now a small army of tween girls. Now she's asking how many 11 year old boys there are. Not sure I like that....;)

I think we need to have a meeting with just the 10, 11, and 12 year old girls. :-)

MCKQuilt we are neighbors (sort of). We are in San Jose. We moved her almost 2 years ago and love the weather! DH and I always say, after living here where do you move? Anywhere else would be a weather down grade (well, maybe SoCa would be a little better)

People usually think Brentwood is in Los Angeles. The SoCal one is a unincorporated district in the city of BelAire. The CITY of Brentwood is about an hour east of San Francisco. We've been having cool weather barely getting up to 60 degrees and the valley has been full of fog this week. We should feel right at home on the cruise. There are three or four families from the greater bay area in this group. I hope we get to meet you all!

betsy2010 said:
My 11 year old DS is a little freaked out about all the 11 year old girls ;-) He's going to cotillion this year so hopefully that will make it easier for him to talk to all the girls! In fact I have to go kick him to get out of the shower. He has to be dressed in a suit in 30 minutes - tonight is 'social etiquette' dinner - he best not be late to that one!

Can we get a poll of 11/12 year old boys that are probably going to the edge and/or to the 1st day meetup? He's in for both

Well your son looks great all dressed up! I will have my 11 yo nephew that will be in edge... And will prob be at the meet with me!

greg-cotillion.jpg

Too cute! If I were only 50 years younger... LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter