12 Days of Disney = 1 Happy Family! June 2011 TR (Update x2 7/19)

Those are awesome Halloween costumes! You guys have great ideas. You'll have to help me with a couples costume for MNSSHP next year. Kris wants to go as Wall-E and Eve but I don't know how we'd be able to sit in those costumes cause the only thing I can think to make them out of is cardboard!

I'm going to see Winnie the Pooh tomorrow!

I'll finish up our Animal Kingdom day later tonight. We are going to go see the Winnie the Pooh movie in just a couple minutes, so it will have to be after that! Can't wait!! pooh::tigger::eeyore:pooh:

Have fun...I think after our movie week last week, trying to watch all the HP movies this week and the midnight showing have done me in!

Thank you so much! All credit goes to my Grandma Z, she made all of the costumes except Bo Peep and Jessie. She even made Thing2's Kim Possible cargo pants and shirt, custom fitted for her!

Wow...what a talented Grandma you have...that makes them even more special:lovestruc

Those are awesome Halloween costumes! You guys have great ideas. You'll have to help me with a couples costume for MNSSHP next year. Kris wants to go as Wall-E and Eve but I don't know how we'd be able to sit in those costumes cause the only thing I can think to make them out of is cardboard!

I'm going to see Winnie the Pooh tomorrow!

Thank you so much! I'll have to think on Wall-E, but I kinda have the start of an idea for Eve. What if you used white fabric (or a white garbage bag?) and made sort of a sack with leg holes. To make it poof out like the shape of Eve you could stuff it with cotton or crumpled up newspapers...not a terribly good idea. :rotfl2: I'll let you know if I come up with anything better! It's a great movie! You'll love it!

Have fun...I think after our movie week last week, trying to watch all the HP movies this week and the midnight showing have done me in!

We had a great time, it's such a funny movie, but I'm sure you are movie'd out for now!

Wow...what a talented Grandma you have...that makes them even more special:lovestruc

Yes, our Grandma is very talented! She does our costumes and in the past she's made us pajamas and bathrobes for Christmas, which make them very special gifts!

We just got back from the movie, but I'll have an update up shortly! :thumbsup2

When I left off, our family was heading towards Kilimanjaro Safaris! We all love that ride! There was a group of young adults and children behind us that had us cracking up. Every time we stopped to get a picture of something close to us, the lady behind me would say, “Why are we stopping?” I’m not sure she knew that the animals were real! Towards the end, she figured out that we had just seen real animals!

372.jpg

367.jpg

366.jpg

When we got to the part where we see Little Red in the back of the “Rescue Truck” the lady behind me decided he “really wasn’t real”. Like I said, she had us all laughing! By the time we got off, Animal Kingdom was closing, so we made our way to the exit. We found Uncle R, Aunt C and K quickly and got in line for a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge, we were having dinner at Boma! We had predicted that a bus for Animal Kingdom Lodge would come quickly, because of its proximity to the park. This was not the case. We waited for quite a while, though we weren’t very bored, we were content just visiting with relatives for a while. While we were waiting, a Coronado Springs bus pulled into its stop. Nobody was waiting to get on, so the driver started to pull away. As the bus started to pull away, a man and his daughter ran up. Both of them are screaming “Stop! Stop!” The man starts chasing the bus and once he catches up, he starts pounding on the side of the bus to try and get the driver’s attention. All the while, his daughter (probably 7 or 8 years old) is still screaming stop as if someone had been murdered. After the man pounded on the side of the bus, the bus driver stopped the bus and got out. He was angry! We could hear him say that he thought he ran someone over when he heard people screaming at him. In the end, he let them get on the bus. After a short while, the bus came. When we got to AKL, we had a little bit of trouble finding Boma. Eventually, we found it and checked in. While we were waiting, Aunt C was trying to take a picture of us girls in front of the little water feature they have there. We were all sitting on the bench smiling and what happens? A guy decides to stand RIGHT in between Aunt C and us! We started laughing. We just sat there and kept smiling in hopes of him seeing we were trying to take a picture and moving a little bit. He didn’t get it. Instead he stayed right where he was and smiled back at us. At this point we were dying of laughter inside! Eventually his wife appeared and she noticed and had him move. We all had a good laugh over that one. We got called to be seated pretty quickly after that. Boma for me was just ehhh. I was kind of disappointed because of all the good things I’d heard, but it was just okay in my opinion. I liked the mashed potatoes (I know, very exotic!), some stewed tomato thing (I liked it because it was spicy!) and the desserts. However, I didn’t really care for my Zebra Dome. I LOVED the Banana Caramel Bread Pudding!! It was soooooooo good! Everyone else said that the meat was good and everyone agreed dessert was a hit. All in all, I’m not rushing to go back, but we had a good time. It was when we were walking back to the bus depot that I had my epic fail of the trip. We were leisurely strolling towards the bus depot and all of a sudden, one of the valet parking guys starts SPRINTING down towards the parking lot (I assume to get a car for someone). You have to understand 2 things to get this without thinking I’m crazy. Number 1: I love track. I love running track and I especially like watching it on TV. Number 2: I’d been out in the sun all day and my brain was dying of heat exhaustion (not really, that’s just the excuse I’m going to use for this fail). As he sprints down the sidewalk ahead of us I decide to say (rather loudly), “That guy runs faster than Saddam Hussein!” Needless to say, my parents and aunt and uncle whip their heads around to stare at me. In my mind I was trying to say, “That guy runs faster than Usain Bolt”, but that’s not quite the way it came out of my mouth. That became the joke of the trip and they still tease me about it. You know, Usain, Hussein, kind of similar sounding, right? After that little incident, we sat at the bus depot for a long time. Finally a bus came for Downtown Disney, so we got on it. Once we got there, Aunt C, Uncle R and K got onto a bus to go to Coronado Springs and we got on a bus back to POR. All in all, it was a long, hot but extremely fun day with family!

It's so rare to see the male lion awake never mind awake and walking:lmao: Great pictures of the safari...that woman behind you would have cracked us up too!

I think you either love Boma or you don't. We were nervous the first time we went because I knew they would have very different things. I have a severe peanut allergy so the chef at the time, Chef TJ, walked to buffet with me and went over everything. After dinner he brought us out deep fried oreos with chocolate sauce as a sepcial dessert just for us...he was awesome! Made for a great memory!

Awesome pictures! I love Boma, my inner carnivore is always satisfied there, and the zebra domes are to die for!

You got an AMAZING view of the lion! I've never seen anything but him sleeping on a distant rock or nothing at all. Good for you!

Hilarious about Saddam Hussein! Did the valet CM hear you?!:rotfl:

Thank you so much! I'll have to think on Wall-E, but I kinda have the start of an idea for Eve. What if you used white fabric (or a white garbage bag?) and made sort of a sack with leg holes. To make it poof out like the shape of Eve you could stuff it with cotton or crumpled up newspapers...not a terribly good idea. :rotfl2: I'll let you know if I come up with anything better! It's a great movie! You'll love it!

As long as I'm comfy in my fabric/garbage bag. :rotfl:

I can't see your pictures because I'm on my work computer and they're blocked but from what I can tell from the comments, you got a great shot of the lion. He's always asleep when I go!

I was considering trying Boma but the menu doesn't appeal to me. I'd really only be eating there to see AKL up close because I've never been.

Crazy story about the guy chasing down the bus. Another one would've come within a few minutes!

It's so rare to see the male lion awake never mind awake and walking:lmao: Great pictures of the safari...that woman behind you would have cracked us up too!

I think you either love Boma or you don't. We were nervous the first time we went because I knew they would have very different things. I have a severe peanut allergy so the chef at the time, Chef TJ, walked to buffet with me and went over everything. After dinner he brought us out deep fried oreos with chocolate sauce as a sepcial dessert just for us...he was awesome! Made for a great memory!

Yes, it is rare, we've only seen it once! I took the lion picture and my mom took the giraffe pictures! I've heard that the Disney chefs are great at working with people's allergies. I'd heard about the deep fried oreos, but since I'd read that they are a special treat, I didn't mention it to anyone that worked there. Lucky you! They sound amazing! Do you have any pictures?

Awesome pictures! I love Boma, my inner carnivore is always satisfied there, and the zebra domes are to die for!

Thank you! I don't eat meat, so I didn't try any of that but the desserts were to die for! :cloud9:

You got an AMAZING view of the lion! I've never seen anything but him sleeping on a distant rock or nothing at all. Good for you!

Hilarious about Saddam Hussein! Did the valet CM hear you?!:rotfl:

Yes we did get a great view! The male lion was pacing back and forth, the only time I've seen him move! :rotfl2: I think (hope) the CM didn't hear me! That would be embarassing!

As long as I'm comfy in my fabric/garbage bag. :rotfl:

I can't see your pictures because I'm on my work computer and they're blocked but from what I can tell from the comments, you got a great shot of the lion. He's always asleep when I go!

I was considering trying Boma but the menu doesn't appeal to me. I'd really only be eating there to see AKL up close because I've never been.

Crazy story about the guy chasing down the bus. Another one would've come within a few minutes!

Yeah...now that I think about it, that fabric/garbage bag idea wasn't one of my better ideas...:rotfl2: This was the only time we've seen the male lion awake and moving! I liked a couple of the "actual foods" at Boma, but for me the best part was the desserts! Another Coronado Springs bus pulled up right after that one left!

Forgot to mention in the update: After dinner we walked outside to the viewing area and we saw a giraffe! We had been to the Festival of the Lion King show earlier that day and so we (K, Thing2, Thing3 and I) decided to try out our giraffe sound with the real giraffe. We just scared it away :rotfl2:! Also, in the viewing area by some of the rooms, the only animal there was some sort of bird. I guess I was tired and feeling a little snarky because I made some sort of comment like, "Mom, I really want to stay here so I can look at this exotic bird all afternoon! We don't have any birds in Illinois, this is a real treat!" My mother did not enjoy that joke. She frowned at me, but later she said it was slightly funny. After THAT we walked back to the bus depot. Just had to add those parts in!

Your pictures are beautiful and so vibrant in color! :thumbsup2 Getting to see the male up and about...

I just can't understand people who are never aware that others are taking pictures! :confused3 I probably would have had to say something to him if he just stood there...okay probably I would have just stood there and glared at him with the teacher look!

We have and ADR for Boma...my husband is not sure about this at all his cousin told him the food was awful, but I really want to try it. It is one of the most expensive buffet restaurants...maybe I need to read up on the reviews more! I thought I would like the zebra domes too, but then I read they have coffee in them...guess I will be passing on these..

Your pictures are beautiful and so vibrant in color! :thumbsup2 Getting to see the male up and about...

I just can't understand people who are never aware that others are taking pictures! :confused3 I probably would have had to say something to him if he just stood there...okay probably I would have just stood there and glared at him with the teacher look!

We have and ADR for Boma...my husband is not sure about this at all his cousin told him the food was awful, but I really want to try it. It is one of the most expensive buffet restaurants...maybe I need to read up on the reviews more! I thought I would like the zebra domes too, but then I read they have coffee in them...guess I will be passing on these..

Thank you! People happened to walk through a few of our pictures, but we didn't get mad because I'm sure we've done the same thing on accident. I'm sure if my mom was with us (I think she was looking around) that she would have given him the teacher look too! I thought I'd like the zebra domes too, but they had kind of a strange texture for me. I was glad we tried it, but I'm not sure it's a must do for us on the next trip.

That is hysterical about the valet guy!!! I thought you were going to say that you started running with him or something. :lmao:

I was also not overly impressed with Boma, nor the zebra domes. I really LOVED the banana bread pudding (with vanilla sauce) and have already found the recipe here on the dis. I held it up on a pedestal with the Ohana banana dessert. Those were the two best desserts I had!

I once read that lions sleep 20 hours a day. You got lucky with a great shot!!!

Thank you! I wanted my costume pieces to be interactive too, but we got started on costumes a little too late and ran out of time. How are you making your crayon costume? The teachers at our schools do themes too! The ones I can remember are different types of candy, Toy Story characters and just foods in general.

It's a very difficult costume. You should take notes. Find sweatpants and a matching shirt. Make a cone hat out of fabric or even construction paper. If you want to get wacky, paint your face. :rotfl:

Great trip report!! I'm just now joining in, but with 12 days of fun we've got a long way to go!! You and your sisters are just adorable, I especially love the comparison photos... so cute :)

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of trip went!!

Yes, it is rare, we've only seen it once! I took the lion picture and my mom took the giraffe pictures! I've heard that the Disney chefs are great at working with people's allergies. I'd heard about the deep fried oreos, but since I'd read that they are a special treat, I didn't mention it to anyone that worked there. Lucky you! They sound amazing! Do you have any pictures?

I sure do have some pictures....enjoy!!! The first one is Chef TJ bringing them to our table....he is a doll! They really were as good as they look!!!
IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

That is hysterical about the valet guy!!! I thought you were going to say that you started running with him or something. :lmao:

I was also not overly impressed with Boma, nor the zebra domes. I really LOVED the banana bread pudding (with vanilla sauce) and have already found the recipe here on the dis. I held it up on a pedestal with the Ohana banana dessert. Those were the two best desserts I had!

I once read that lions sleep 20 hours a day. You got lucky with a great shot!!!

I wish I had started running with him instead! That might not have been quite so embarrassing! Where did you find the recipe! I'm sitting here practically drooling thinking about it! Yes, we got very lucky to see the lion awake!

It's a very difficult costume. You should take notes. Find sweatpants and a matching shirt. Make a cone hat out of fabric or even construction paper. If you want to get wacky, paint your face. :rotfl:

:rotfl2: This costume might be to complicated for me to handle! :rotfl2:

Great trip report!! I'm just now joining in, but with 12 days of fun we've got a long way to go!! You and your sisters are just adorable, I especially love the comparison photos... so cute :)

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of trip went!!

Thank you so much for joining in! Yes, we've got a long way to go! Thank you so much! You should take a picture of Lo somewhere and then take her picture in the same spot every trip, for your own comparison pictures!

I sure do have some pictures....enjoy!!! The first one is Chef TJ bringing them to our table....he is a doll! They really were as good as they look!!!
IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

Oh my goodness, those look AMAZING!! Any chance that recipe is on the DIS as well? Yummy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter