10/19/13 Wonder. Galveston to W Caribbean.

The following is a list of the theme nights:

2nd Formal Night
4th Pirate Night
6th Semi-Formal

Movies Include:

Avengers
Brave
Finding Nemo
Oz
Wreck it Raulph
Lincoln
Iron Man 3
Monsters University
Lone Ranger
Planes

PrincessKayla: we were in Jamaica years ago and did a horseback in the ocean excursion, also climbed Dunn's River Falls, something most people do in Jamaica. One tip on Dunn's: it's best to do it early in day. We did it early and had the falls almost to ourselves; later in the day it can be like waiting in the buffet Liine at Cabanas!

Cruised to Grand Caymans twice but never set foot on the island. GC is a tender port and if the water's too rough they won't tender. We're doing an island tour with a stop at the Turtle Farm (cruising with our 4 yr old DGD, so high energy excursions are out).

Last: where in Alaska? I spent a summer in Kodiak yrs ago, and spent some time in Anchorage.

PS: we're doing transfers through Disney and staying at Hotel Galvez. For 3 people the transfers semmed the best way to go, but for hotels you can do much better price wise if you find a different way to get to Galveston, and if you shop around for hotel prices.

I live in Bethel. Bethel is a village west of Anchorage that is only accesible via plane or a really long boat ride. If you were really dedicated, you might be able to dog sled here from Anchorage, but it would be a bit tough.

I love tender ports. I think it is so exciting to transfer from one boat to another on the open sea. (I might be a little bit dramatic) And I really like boat rides.

Dunn's Fall in the morning - check. Is there a nice beach in that area? I am thinking the Fall's in the morning and a nice beach in the afternoon would be a great way to spend the day. I would love to a horseback ride in the ocean but my kids are too young. Boo.

I agree about the more active on here rather than facebook. I like this forum for getting to know people better.

I live in Bethel. Bethel is a village west of Anchorage that is only accesible via plane or a really long boat ride. If you were really dedicated, you might be able to dog sled here from Anchorage, but it would be a bit tough.

I love tender ports. I think it is so exciting to transfer from one boat to another on the open sea. (I might be a little bit dramatic) And I really like boat rides.

Dunn's Fall in the morning - check. Is there a nice beach in that area? I am thinking the Fall's in the morning and a nice beach in the afternoon would be a great way to spend the day. I would love to a horseback ride in the ocean but my kids are too young. Boo.

I agree about the more active on here rather than facebook. I like this forum for getting to know people better.

Isn't just about any place in AK accessible only by plane or boat?:rolleyes1

I loved Kodiak, worked in a bunch of canneries, did some "amateur" commercial fishing.

Jamaica beaches: when we visited Jamaica years ago we docked at Ocho Rios. I think there's a beach called Turtle Bay near Falmouth that sounds nice. I know I saw (somewhere on some cruise thread) a Falmouth port sign with taxi rates, and one line said "Beaches: $10", so beaches must be close. You probably know Jamaica is one place you don't want to be wandering around alone - lots of crime, although it seems worse near Montego Bay. Jamaica vendors are very pushy, but you're a tough Alaskan so you'll do fine.:thumbsup2

Isn't just about any place in AK accessible only by plane or boat?:rolleyes1

Nah- Anchorage and Fairbanks are on the road system. They don't count. You are considered Bush Alaska when you have to take an airplane to get to a Walmart. (Well, that is my definition anyway)

Kodiak is one of the place we haven't visited yet. Barrow is the other. They are on the list.

Nah- Anchorage and Fairbanks are on the road system. They don't count. You are considered Bush Alaska when you have to take an airplane to get to a Walmart. (Well, that is my definition anyway)

Kodiak is one of the place we haven't visited yet. Barrow is the other. They are on the list.

I was in Kodiak the summer of 1977 - different world back then. Kodiak's airport is infamous for being built in front of a mountain. I was told the Air Force training manuals have standard landing procedures that apply to every airport except Kodiak. We used to get the Anchorage newspaper 2 or 3 times a week - other day it was too foggy for planes to land. Oh, and there was one tv station; the station manager decided what you would see, and it was on a one week delay, so i'd read about a ball game, for example, then watch it a week later.

My "commercial" fishing: my friend had a Halibut license. We had a 12 foot skiff; our fishing line was a rope wrapped around a telephone company spool - we'd lay out the line and then go explore nearby small islands that were military bases in World War II. Great times, great place.

We're staying at the Hotel Galvez, booked through Disney, and also Disney transfers. We were told we couldn't choose our own PAT - seems odd to me. Anyone else doing Dis transfers?

We're staying at the Hotel Galvez, booked through Disney, and also Disney transfers. We were told we couldn't choose our own PAT - seems odd to me. Anyone else doing Dis transfers?

PAT's aren't given to folks with DIS transfers at Galveston. You will be provided a boarding number from Disney when you get checked in.

I found a super shuttle from IAH to Galveston for 175.00 for up to 10 people. We are getting into IAH on Friday. We have 5 in our group. Would anyone want to split a ride to Galveston with us?

Hello everyone!
The Fish Extenders are closed to new cruisers.

Along with that, we wanted to let you know that we have one thing in place should your room change due to an upgrade. The night before departure, I will print the current FE list for BOTH groups. These will be posted on my door at Stateroom 7098. This is deck 7, port side, near the aft elevators. This will be posted for at least the first 2 nights of the cruise. If you have a change in your room number due to an upgrade you made at port, you will come to my door and write your new room number up on the paper on the FIRST night. That way everyone has all of day 2 to make sure they get any changes.

Some recommendations, organize your FEs by floor into separate bags. Label them with the stateroom # and cruiser name. This will help you if things change.

Let me know what you think about that, hopefully it'll work out for everyone that way. We figured my room was pretty close to Beach Blanket so it should be pretty easy for everyone to pop by at some point on day 2.

LASTLY, if you haven't out your room number on the FE chart, please make sure that you do so as soon as you get your number. If you aren't sure, log in to disneycruise.disney.com to find your stateroom number in your Reservation Summary. Or call DCL to get that info from an agent.

Grazie!

PAT's aren't given to folks with DIS transfers at Galveston. You will be provided a boarding number from Disney when you get checked in.

Yeah, been finding that out. The thing is, we stayed at Pop Century the night before last December's Dream cruise, and were able to "pick" a PAT of 11AM. Made no difference - as you said the bus picked us up at 12:30 and we didn't reach the port until 2PM, was hoping to avoid that scenario this time and, according to a Dis person I spoke with, we supposedly will have an early hotel pickup.

20 days out and I had to go to the 3rd page to find this thread. So as I am new to cruising my PAT is 11 or 11:30 something early like that. I assume earliest we would be allowed on the ship is 1 with no shot at our room until 3 or 4? Sound about right? Not that I will need the room I will have what I need in a carry on.

Another question any beer drinkers on this thread that have cruised before? Beer mug worth it? Any better quality beers other than the major domestics? If not then I will bypass the mug.

Looking forward to the trip. Can't get here fast enough.

I believe you will be able to board around noon. I'm assuming when I get to the port around 1:30 that I'll pretty much be able to walk on and drop my stuff in my cabin.

20 days out and I had to go to the 3rd page to find this thread. So as I am new to cruising my PAT is 11 or 11:30 something early like that. I assume earliest we would be allowed on the ship is 1 with no shot at our room until 3 or 4? Sound about right? Not that I will need the room I will have what I need in a carry on.

Another question any beer drinkers on this thread that have cruised before? Beer mug worth it? Any better quality beers other than the major domestics? If not then I will bypass the mug.

Looking forward to the trip. Can't get here fast enough.

Easiest way to find this thread is to bookmark it. 2nd is at the top of page where it has Meets listed by ship and date.

From what I've read, the beer mug is a decent deal for a 7 day cruise (apparently more ounces in the mugs). Not sure what beers they have, but on the nice warm Caribbean days, any beer should taste good.

PS: this was discussed a while back, but I think part of the lack of posts here is the fact that people are posting on 4 or 5 different sites (Facebook, Cruise Critic, etc.).

Here are some of the possible options for beer:

On Draft - these are generally available on most ships:
Strongbow (I know, not a beer...)
Stella Artois
Murphy’s
O’Gills (Might only be on Fantasy/Dream)
Kona Brewing Company – Longboard Island Lager
Widmer Brewers – Drifter Pale Ale

By the Bottle or Can, these are generally available on most ships:
Blue Moon
Budweiser
Bud Light
Bud Light Lime
Corona Extra
Heineken
Coors Light
Michelob Light
Michelob ULTRA
Beck's
Boddington's
Guinness

I hope they have the Kona! That is one of DH's favorites.

We just booked this cruise today and got a really good rate on two 5a rooms. We have done several Carnival cruises and this will be our first Disney Cruise. My two kids are super excited and so are the adults.

My family and I will be joining too! There are five of us. My kids are 13, 8 and 5. We just booked today! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter