ª"˜˜ª¤.¸Official Team August 2013 Thread!¸.¤ª˜˜"ª&#9733

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last fall we made Mickey Head jackets with Sharpie markers and rubbing alcohol for the girls. We had a dinner at Chef Mickey's early in the trip and the Fab Five signed them. They came in handy with the cool mornings and nights in November.

Last fall we made Mickey Head jackets with Sharpie markers and rubbing alcohol for the girls. We had a dinner at Chef Mickey's early in the trip and the Fab Five signed them. They came in handy with the cool mornings and nights in November.

Those are awesome!!! Where did you come up with such a great idea?

This is really cool!

Those are awesome!!! Where did you come up with such a great idea?

My wife had found a craft thing on pinterest to make tie dye shirts that she had done with the kids during the summer. Someone on here had made tie dye Mickey Head shirts the old fashioned way with tie dye so we tried it with the marker method and it turned out really well.

Get two glasses of different size. The larger one for the head and the smaller one for the ears. Get a bunch of different colored Sharpies. Get rubbing alcohol and an eye dropper. You'll need some rubber bands too.

Place the shirt on top of the larger glass and secure it with a rubber band. Dot the edge of the circle with the markers, holding the markers in place to get a good soaking of ink. Take the eye dropper and drip alcohol directly onto the marker dots. The ink will run down the sides of the glass and make the head.

Remove the large glass and position the smaller glass near where you think the ear should be. Remember there should be some overlap. The small glass shouldn't be on the same line as the large glass was, but close. Repeat the process with the markers and the alcohol. Reposition the small glass for the second ear and repeat.

Boom! You have a Mickey Head tie dye shirt or jacket.

These are great! Thank you for the instructions! I'm not sure we'd use them in August, but I'd love to keep this idea on the back burner for a trip at a different time of year! (Although we always seem to have 90 degree weather no matter when we go!)

Those are fantastic :thumbsup2 . Your boys must have been so excited!

I really wish I could so something special for our DS, but he'll be 17.5 by then (turning 18 in January) and its so hard to come up with something exciting and surprising for a kiddo who's no longer a child. On our Disney trip in 2009, when DS was turning 13, we all wore matching shirts (the big guy and the "little" guy had identical ones each day, and mine was something that went along with their theme....ie when they wore Mickey, I wore Minnie, or when they wore Donald, I wore Daisy). That definitely wouldn't fly now :rotfl2: . No matter how much I grovelled!!!!

I did find this t-shirt that I thought DS might not mind:

http://www.disneystore.com/mickey-mouse-tee-for-adults-disney-parks/mp/1320308/1000228/

To which I got the reply: "Uh, no thanks. But it was nice of you to try". Sigh. :rolleyes2

Truth be told, Jake doesn't want any special trinkets, or fancy t-shirts, or anything that my Mom side is dying to create. He just wants lots of waterparking, some sleeping in, multiple good opportunities for relaxing by the pool, several evening rounds of mini golf, and lots to eat. Teen boys really are so simple.

Anyone want to lend me a preschooler, just so I can make up a welcome basket?!? :confused:

At least he appreciated your attempt! My 13 year old is probably about done with matching shirts, but I think he puts up with it more than any normal 13 year old for his little brother's sake. He really loves Disney, but he also knows I am over the top, all or nothing so I'm sure he just rolls his eyes and shakes his head at me as I force him into coordinating shirts! ;)

The good thing is you have fabulous pictures to remember your trip in '09 and all the matching shirt glory! ;) And someday, you're right, he'll be back in those matching shirts just for his kids. In the meantime, enjoy relaxing and taking it easy on vacation! :yay:

These are great! Thank you for the instructions! I'm not sure we'd use them in August, but I'd love to keep this idea on the back burner for a trip at a different time of year! (Although we always seem to have 90 degree weather no matter when we go!)

You could do them with t-shirts too. We were originally going to do t-shirts but when we went to the store to buy them we saw the jackets and thought those might work better for November.

Question of the Day

Do you wear a hat while at Disney? Do you suggest any specific style? What do you do with the hat while on rides?

Question of the Day

Do you wear a hat while at Disney? Do you suggest any specific style? What do you do with the hat while on rides?

I do not because then I'd have to wear it all the time and not take it off until I wash my hair again. :-) since I have longer hair I do go the ponytail route a lot. Fast and easy! :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

So,
I just found and spent a little while reading through the August 2012 planning thread.
I learned something about myself. Everytime I get home from a trip I say I don't think we'll go back for awhile.. and every time I plan another trip within 6 months:rotfl2:
And the second thing I remembered was how hot and how much busier Disney was around Labour Day weekend last year. The first 3 years Labour Day weekend wasn't bad, but last year? We woke up late and went to MK:rolleyes2
It was MOBBED. In fact Touring Plans is predicting a 9 for this year on the same day and they base their numbers on last year. I believe it. It was ridiculous.

So that being said.. I am putting a loose plan into effect so I can avoid the mistakes we made last year::yes:: I think we'll spend our last day at a waterpark or shopping.

Question of the Day

DH will wear a baseball cap, that boys head burns bad! It's sunburned right now actually. I can't tolerate hats. I'm strange.

I will be looking for a hat for DS if anyone has recommendations for his lil baby head.

Question of the Day

Nope! I did buy a Disney baseball cap one year when it was drizzling and misty all day so I often throw it in the park bag, but I don't like to wear hats. My boys will often wear a baseball cap.

Question of the Day

I will sometimes wear a hat. I normally wear a flat cap when I'm out and about. I look like a goofy redneck when I wear a baseball hat and my wife hates it. I shave my head pretty routinely though so I need something on my head to prevent it from getting burned. I'll probably go with a do-rag or something this August.

When on rides it's either in my pocket, down my shirt or in storage of some kind.

Question of the Day

I only wear a hat in the winter....so no I would never wear a hat to Disney. I would hate my sweaty head! My kids always wear hats though. My daughter wears a sunhat and my son wears a baseball hat.

Question of the Day

No hat for me. Two reasons.

(A) I have unruly hair issues :crazy2: and this would just make things worse, and
(B) I have an unusually large nose and I find hats just make it....uh....look bigger. And more slopey. :scratchin Have I mentioned how much I hate my nose? :rolleyes1

DH will definitely wear a hat, 'cause he happens to be losing most of what he used to have on top. He bought a great bucket hat at Discovery Cove last year that he's officially christened his "Florida Hat". He will shop in it, swim in it, mini golf it in....you name it.

DS will probably buy a couple of hats at the Lids in Orlando anyway (its one of his "must do" stores .... the US has a much better selection than we have here in Canada), so he'll definitely be sporting a new "chapeau" or two. But he's a teenaged boy, so he lives in silly looking hats most of the time. ;)

So that being said.. I am putting a loose plan into effect so I can avoid the mistakes we made last year::yes:: I think we'll spend our last day at a waterpark or shopping.

I think that sounds like an AWESOME way to end a vacation!!! :thumbsup2

Hello my friends! So busy lately I haven't even had time to sit down at my computer and by the time evening comes I just want my recliner lol.

I promise that by the end of this week I will get all updates and LGMH requests done!

I love the welcome packages! I wish mine were little enough for that. I am trying to think of a grown up welcome for my older sister. She has never been to Disney and will probably never go again so I am trying to make it as special as I can for her. Each of my kids had had their own special trips so now it's her turn lol.

As for the matching shirt idea I wanted to make the tie dye Mickey shirts but as soon as I mentioned it, my 15 year old son was like "no mom, just...No" so I guess that idea is out!

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using DISBoards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter