ª"˜˜ª¤.¸Official Team August 2013 Thread!¸.¤ª˜˜"ª&#9733

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still have 123 days but I can't stop planning :confused3 We are staying in a 2 bedroom villa at Wilderness Lodge. My husband and I are going with our 23yo son and our 17yo son. Go figure, they both want to go. This was my 23 yo's idea... my guess, he can drink on our dime :rotfl:

Our ADR's were made at the 180 day mark.

8/18 MK 6:15 at HDDR
8/20 AK 6:20 at Artist Point (our anniversary dinner)
8/21 EP 5:00 at Biergarten (our 23yo birthday dinner)
8/22 MK 4:45 at Be our Guest
8/23 HS 7:30 at Raglan Road (17yo birthday dinner) my Irish son Patrick
8/24 EP 2:00 at Villa Napoli (good pizza and I'm from NY)
8/25 Day off my boys can go anywhere they want w/out us :woohoo:
8/26 EP 12:00 at Rose and Crown
(I think I posted our ADR's but I'm obsessing today sorry :upsidedow )
After the R&C I'll watch one last off Kilter and then back to the resort to head back to MCO :(

I've already made an account for Garden Grocer and have items in my cart. Since we are staying in a room with a kitchen we will make breakfast most mornings. We are not a fan of the Disney egg sandwich in the morning :coffee:.

I have the box I need to send a few things down to the resort. I've already started my list of things I need to bring down for my owners locker (zip loc bags and Tide pods)

With the way I'm acting you would think this is my first time down there not my 14th. I'm guessing it's because it will most likely be the last time the 4 of us :grouphug: go away together, alone. I'm grateful for this last time. Still, I'm going to miss the opportunity to go to Ireland (it was suppose to be our anniversary trip)

SO, is anyone else, already in a bad way... like me :wave2:

Don't feel bad...I'm also in a bad way!! I'm planning three trips from May-August and I'm treating it like a full time job, much to my family's dismay lol. Hey, the way I look at it, all the planning just makes the vacation longer :)

We still have 123 days but I can't stop planning :confused3 We are staying in a 2 bedroom villa at Wilderness Lodge. My husband and I are going with our 23yo son and our 17yo son. Go figure, they both want to go. This was my 23 yo's idea... my guess, he can drink on our dime :rotfl:

Our ADR's were made at the 180 day mark.

8/18 MK 6:15 at HDDR
8/20 AK 6:20 at Artist Point (our anniversary dinner)
8/21 EP 5:00 at Biergarten (our 23yo birthday dinner)
8/22 MK 4:45 at Be our Guest
8/23 HS 7:30 at Raglan Road (17yo birthday dinner) my Irish son Patrick
8/24 EP 2:00 at Villa Napoli (good pizza and I'm from NY)
8/25 Day off my boys can go anywhere they want w/out us :woohoo:
8/26 EP 12:00 at Rose and Crown
(I think I posted our ADR's but I'm obsessing today sorry :upsidedow )
After the R&C I'll watch one last off Kilter and then back to the resort to head back to MCO :(

I've already made an account for Garden Grocer and have items in my cart. Since we are staying in a room with a kitchen we will make breakfast most mornings. We are not a fan of the Disney egg sandwich in the morning :coffee:.

I have the box I need to send a few things down to the resort. I've already started my list of things I need to bring down for my owners locker (zip loc bags and Tide pods)

With the way I'm acting you would think this is my first time down there not my 14th. I'm guessing it's because it will most likely be the last time the 4 of us :grouphug: go away together, alone. I'm grateful for this last time. Still, I'm going to miss the opportunity to go to Ireland (it was suppose to be our anniversary trip)

Um, it doesn't stop for me. Ever. I plan a trip, take a trip, come home, plan a trip, take a trip, come home...:rotfl2:

I live for our family vacations. It could really be anywhere, it's the time together. My kids (16, and 9) are getting bigger every day and I've become acutely aware that in no time they may not want to spend as much time with us:guilty:
We always have such a good time. It's *our* place. I tried to talk them into somewhere else this summer and while they didn't complain there was zero enthusiasm so I figure why fix something that isn't broken.

I do understand your sadness about your Ireland trip. I really want to go to Banff and Italy and an Alaskan cruise, but for us, dh and I will have so much time when it's just us in the years to come we might as well do Disney now:)

I plan because it's fun! I am determined not to overplan our August trip and we are definitely doing some offsite stuff and staying offsite.

However, our surprise Christmas trip is already paid for:rotfl2:

Question of the Day?

What do you want as souvenirs? Do you have something in mind or do you bring a "wad of cash" for an impulse purchase?

Someone asked pages ago about long hair and how to keep it tamed in the humidity and heat. (and I am too lazy to go back looking to quote them here) I have painfully straight hair so frizz is not an option no less an issue. My hair is currently half way down my back and I plan on cutting it soon so I can have nice shortish hair - above the shoulder. I think that will help me from resorting to the ponytail, which is not a good look on me. I think to myself "it will grow back so why not be cool and stylish in Disney?" I will not get a style which requires hair products and styling to then be ruined by my hat or Splash Mountain. Just a cute cut. I know many women won't cut their long hair, but I just want easy hair this Summer and this trip.

Question of the Day?

What do you want as souvenirs? Do you have something in mind or do you bring a "wad of cash" for an impulse purchase?

We are "was of cash" folks as far as souvenirs go. Not that we have that many things in particular in mind, but we like to have some fun money available to us for whatever we see that catches our eye. And then there's the outlet shopping........that is considered and budgeted for, too.

DH and I will probably bring about $500 for shopping and souvenirs. Jake will bring $800 of his own hard-earned cash (thank goodness for an awesome part time job), but his personal allotment will be devoted less to souvenirs and more to clothing.....he will purchase all of his necessities for his upcoming basketball season, from shoes to socks to Under Armor, at a fraction of the cost (and with twice the selection) from what we can purchase at home.

A couple of things I know I want to get are a 2013 ornament from the Christmas store in DTD, and something Mickey for my mom's kitchen (she loves to bake, so I'm thinking some oven mitts and potholders or something else "useful"....she's a practical kind of lady). Probably at least a t-shirt or two. And I might just pick a pearl on this trip.......its on my Disney bucket list and I've never done it yet!

Someone asked pages ago about long hair and how to keep it tamed in the humidity and heat. (and I am too lazy to go back looking to quote them here) I have painfully straight hair so frizz is not an option no less an issue. My hair is currently half way down my back and I plan on cutting it soon so I can have nice shortish hair - above the shoulder. I think that will help me from resorting to the ponytail, which is not a good look on me. I think to myself "it will grow back so why not be cool and stylish in Disney?" I will not get a style which requires hair products and styling to then be ruined by my hat or Splash Mountain. Just a cute cut. I know many women won't cut their long hair, but I just want easy hair this Summer and this trip.

That was me! :)

Straight hair and no frizz?!? Oooooh, I am sooo jealous.

I must admit, I too have entertained the idea of an above-the-shoulder bob, but I know it would break hubby's heart. God bless him, I'd look like Rapunzel if he had his way. When it means as much to him as it does, I don't think I could make such a dramatic style change and not feel guilty. So I will keep my long tresses, try every styling product known to man, and hope I don't end up looking like Monica from Friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAVvtuu1yoo

:rotfl:

Question of the Day?

Great question! I plan on getting a new Dooney and Burke bag, at least one t-shirt or hoodie, and I want to look at the Chamilia charms. I got a Pandora charm bracelet for Easter, and I want to add a Disney charm!! I will probably also get something for the kitchen.

Need opinions.

Our basic schedule is like this. We don't have PH on our tickets so we're doing a park a day.

8/18 - MK
8/19 - EP
8/20 - Resort pools & BB/TL
8/21 - DHS
8/22 - MK

The only problem I have is I'm looking at the updated calendar for August and on 8/21 DHS is closing at 8:30pm. The rest of the week it's open until 10. If we switch it to 8/19 there are evening EMH but the park might be more crowded that day. The only thing we're really set on is starting and ending at MK. I have ADRs for Akerhus and H&V pre-RD, but probably could reschedule them. I know that there is a bunch of stuff at DHS we want to do that we haven't done before so having more time might be a good thing, especially if we're planning that midday break.

What would you do?

I don't know if you feel you must start your trip with MK, but we are going on some of your days, and Josh has HS listed as the best park on 8/18 and MK as the worst (although they do have EMH that night, so not sure if you were looking to take advantage of that). 8/19 is showing Epcot at the best park for that day, so I would probably keep that if I were you.

And I might just pick a pearl on this trip.......its on my Disney bucket list and I've never done it yet!

Do it!! And make sure you do it at Japan...they do a ceremony there that they don't do at BC or DTD. We had so much fun picking our oyster, and I wound up with the biggest pearl of the group at that session.

Question of the Day?

My shopping habits are a little of both... I budget for the things I know I want and then I budget a lot more for impulses!

This is a mother-daughter trip so my mom and I are going to do the pearl thing and get matching necklaces. We get an ornament every time as well. This year we are doing photopass+ and will be making scrapbooks after the trip with our pictures, so we are counting that as a souvenir.

If I have an amazing experience in the parks, I'll get something to remind me of the time. Sure tons of impulses, but I never come home regretting it because I have my magical disney memories.

My thing is gifts... I love to get people things whenever I go ANYWHERE! I got a personalized wine glass last year in DL and I love it! I think I'll get DBF something related to that (beer stein or wine glass) so we can match. If I see something that reminds me of someone, I'll probably get it for them just because.

I've not done August before but we went the first week of September when DD1 turned 5 and I can't imagine it being much different than the last couple weeks of August. Our girls were 5 and 2 and we went commando the whole week. The only day that was really bad was the last day we were there. It was near 100 with 100% humidity and just getting from the room to the bus and the bus to the park was a bit of a beat down.

Aside from the heat though, the crowds were very manageable. The only thing that had a wait that we felt was unreasonable was TSM. It was still pretty new back then though. We had skipped Epcot on that trip too. We did shows at AK to get out of the sun a bit. Did the Tiki Room at MK, stopped in the lobby of the Hall of Presidents, etc to cool off. We also had the DxDP and had character meals throughout the day. That was another nice break.

The only day that was "busy" when we were there in September was the last day and that was because MK closed early for the Night of Joy concert. Again we were pretty worn out from going the whole week though so we were kind of glad.

We did commando the last trip and decided that we would schedule a rest day in the middle of our trip next time so we don't get burned out.

This year we are hitting the water parks and plan to get some pool time in as well. The kids love swimming and the pools but it was too cold last November when we were there.

I'm feeling more confident about going in August. It can be brutal here in the St. Louis area too. I think I am going to start walking (after it stops RAINING) next week and keep walking throughout the summer so I will 1. be in better physical condition to walk all day long 2. be used to walking in all types of weather, including 90+ degree days with 70% humidity!

THANK YOU for all your kind replies and support!! I am excited about August and hope to see some of you during our trip!! :wave2:

Question of the Day?

PICTURE FRAMES!!! I always get one frame with the year on it. Then I look for others that I like--sometimes from rides/attactions, sometimes just something cool that I LOVE looking at. Then I get ride pics to go in them. I am truly thinging about PP+ this year because we have several character meals planned, as well as wanting ride photos.

I don't take a "wad", but I will usually buy, even on impulse, what I like. I always look for Jim Shore pieces too!!

From what I read, it was just absolutely unbearable heat and humidity, needing to change clothes several times a day. It was recommended NOT to go to WS at Epcot during the day--or AK at all because of the humidity. We're going to all the parks and we're going to tough it out. We have a pre-trip walking plan for our local park so that we can get used to walking in heat/humidity (I live near St. Louis--there's plenty of BOTH here). I am hoping that its just a case of "everyone's different" and its not AS BAD as what it sounded. But being May people with not as much heat/humidity, just got a little nervous.

You are approaching it right. I don't find it unbearable anywhere in Disney World in July or August. You just have to pace yourself and not over-do it during the middle of the day. Stop in the shops with air-conditioning and drink plenty of fluids. I honestly have found it not much worse than the heat and humidity we can see in Central PA in July and August.

You are approaching it right. I don't find it unbearable anywhere in Disney World in July or August. You just have to pace yourself and not over-do it during the middle of the day. Stop in the shops with air-conditioning and drink plenty of fluids. I honestly have found it not much worse than the heat and humidity we can see in Central PA in July and August.

AWESOME!!! Thank You!!!! :thumbsup2

I agree. I can only recall two "unbearable" heat moments in 4 summer trips. One, was waiting until we were already exhausted, cranky and tired to leave DHS. It had to be about 2pm and we we're marching down the street and I thought I would pass out from the heat. I would have been absolutely fine if I had just listened to instinct and left around noon for the break.
The second moment was my dd actually. We tell the kids over and over to drink water but it's easy to underestimate how much is really needed. We were staying at the Boardwalk and walked back from DHS. DD was in tears because of leg cramps. She hadn't been drinking enough water and since she was 14 I kind of hadn't been making her. I assumed she had been. She was cramping because she was dehydrated. We ditched the plan and rested and stayed by the pool the next day.
It isn't worse than the heat and humidity at home, its just that at home it's unlikely that you'll be walking around in it all day. If you are smart about it, it is totally manageable.:)

Question of the Day?

I will get a nice, BIG, mug that I can use for tea. I got one in December, got it home and discovered it leaked due to a hairline crack. So bummed! :sad: I use it as a pencil holder now. Oldest DS wants me to pin trade with him so I will probably get a pin or two, but really I would like cute shirts.

The kids are earning money for souvenirs. They both have Disney fund jars. I will probably match that or give them each a $25 gift card. We'll see.

DH doesn't normally want a souvenir...just to eat a lot! Actually he'll probably spend his souvenir money on beer! :rotfl:

Oh, I will likely get Christmas ornaments too! :)

That was me! :)

Straight hair and no frizz?!? Oooooh, I am sooo jealous.

I must admit, I too have entertained the idea of an above-the-shoulder bob, but I know it would break hubby's heart. God bless him, I'd look like Rapunzel if he had his way. When it means as much to him as it does, I don't think I could make such a dramatic style change and not feel guilty. So I will keep my long tresses, try every styling product known to man, and hope I don't end up looking like Monica from Friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAVvtuu1yoo

:rotfl:

A little late, but I wanted to chime in too. I have super thick, long, curly hair. I am a huge fan of a "french fishtail". I usually french twist my bangs then pin them, then I pull all my hair over to one side, and begin french braiding across the side and back of my head. When I get to the nape of my neck (on the opposite side) I switch from a french braid to a fishtail (two strands instead of three). I'm not sure if these directions are reading clearly...I like this look as a more polished way to fight the frizz as opposed to a ponytail. (I mean I rock the ponytail too, this is just another option!) I live in TX so my hair spends all summer in a variation bun, ponytail, or braid. It is just too dang hot to wear it down!

Question of the Day?

With this being our first trip, I figure we will go "wad of cash". We usually let our dd get what she wants anyway, why should Disney be different! ;)
To be honest though, I hadn't really thought about souvenirs. I think ears are a must....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter