Zero Forky's Given - An August 2019 Dining Report - Completed 8/18

Boy does that Kona Cafe breaky sound horrible, so sorry.
No worries if it was good my DR title would have such less meaning :P

Mallory would have been a great name for Casey. But Casey is so... Casey. So I think you still found a winning name :thumbsup2 Truman is another great idea!
Well said. She is so very Casey ❤

I think to have gotten through that morning, "I'm Trashed" would have been preferable.
Coming right up I'll do my very best :drinking1

To the delight of her dining partner I see.
She was clearly the delight and he should have just been happy to have been in her gigantic laptop and mullet presence.

:rotfl: I need to share my favorite ride photo of all time... also on PotC. My buddy Rebecca and I hit up Pirates at MNNSHP. The gentleman behind me was having a coughing fit and - horrifyingly - I could feel the... um, spray, on my neck. I turned to my friend and whispered "did you get some?" and she replied "was there some?!" After a thorough anti-bacterial shower immediately after the ride, we found it hilarious. But after a real shower and checking the ride photo the next day, the exact moment of the question and ensuing look of horror was captured for posterity on the ride photo. Every once and a while one of us will text the other "was there some?!" :rotfl2:
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: THIS. IS. AMAZING. Please oh please you must share and we have to figure out how to get this into the Photopass hall of fame. Please oh please post it in our Facebook group or text it to me. I must have "was there some" in my life

Kona was not the restaurant I thought would get Zero Forkys. The only thing that looked good was Casey's bacon & sausage. I thought about doing Kona for lunch or a late breakfast after my last Mani/pedicure at the Grand Floridian Spa and am glad I stuck with the GF Cafe.
Now I'm curious to see what you thought it would be. And you completely did the right thing going to GFC. We're big fans of that place and thankfully our food has always been edible.

A Tipsy Redemption Song

Queue the Bob Marley Music 🇯🇲

After two bad Disney meals and doggie drama coupled with this being the birthday of my Mother who had died last year I was in need of some serious dining and tipsy redemption. We knew we could take no dining chances and booked an ADR at someplace we knew would not disappoint: Jiko.

We sipped on some wine and prettied ourselves before ubering from Caribbean Beach to Animal Kingdom Lodge. We even stopped to take some photos along the way.

Any guesses who her favorite parent is?

We got to AKL in no time and requested our favorite Jiko server Onsy. We had him on our last trip and he was amazing and we needed all sorts of amazing right now.

To start with I got a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. I didn’t jot down what it was but it was crisp though a little sweet for my liking.

Jason got a Castle beer which after being unimpressed by it he surmised it was likely the Miller Lite of Africa.

Onsy brought Casey some sort of ridiculous lion king light up juice concoction.

No idea what this was either but clearly she was a happy camper.

At this point I must have put my phone away and just enjoyed the dinner (and a few more glasses of wine) because the logic of my notes take a tipsy turn. :drinking1 Shocking I know!

While we contemplated our options Onsy brought us some sweet potato rolls and butter.

So how were they? “Butter was there xibacomon butter make rolls.” Which of course means the cinnamon butter made the rolls.

Jason decided to order the Lion King Price Fix Menu which for $65 came with three courses and an optional wide pairing (which or course he optioned). Or if you’re reading my notes “Jason kind king special with ref wins fight.”

Because of course Jason is a kind king and the ref said he won the fight.

To start he got (and we all shared) the Young Cedar Creek Clam Malata with new potatoes, pomegranate, and bone marrow.

No tipsy translation needed here because this was amazing. My notes say so themselves and while my tipsy self can’t spell she never lies. “Clams AH-MAZ-ING with rich marrow and spinach and pomegranate very good play on seafood and bacon.”

Out of sauvignon blanc I moved to “Guervtimwbr” to enjoy with this.

Can you name that wine?

For entrees “Me and c shade filet just as good as last time perfect Cooke potatoes big as good lacking a bit but still like”

So Casey and I shared the oak grilled filet and it was just amazing as the last time we had it. It was cooked perfect and the potatoes were big but lacking? Don’t know what they were lacking or why they were big since they were mashed, but tipsy notes never lie. Someone even got a chance to work on her knife skills.

To go with this I had a Cabernet from South Africa.

And how do I know this? Because my notes say “Get sa onset pick and for some cabalone as last time even better great depth of flavor” of course.

As part of the lion king meal Jason got the Bone-in Rib Eye with hibiscus, nettle, and fregula (couscous like pasta).

Beyond the clear fact that this is apparently supposed to entice you with blood stains and carnage all over the plate my tipsy notes added very little insight as they just say “Jason slightly over poked but god.” I’m pretty sure I did not over poke Jason as I only ever slightly poke him, so me and god are gonna say this was good.

We also ordered the most amazing mac and cheese known to man the Bobotie Macaroni and Cheese with Four Cheeses, Wagyu, Almonds, Raisins, and Cape Malay Curry.

We had something very similar on our last trip and it is quite simply one of the best things in Disney. And how do I know that? Because “Mac and chess better than lag time heesier and meet no elk but more bugs as* crunch and apricots slight sweet viney soaked toes add bright red win sauce add great richness still best ever” of course. Seriously though the bugs and toes aside this is rich and decadent and with tons of textures and flavors. While not a classic mac and cheese it is unequivocally the best I’ve ever eaten.

For dessert with his meal Jason got the Caramelized Orange and Chocolate Choux.

Or per my notes “Jason line long one. Depth of flavor hard fk get it all together but loose with great passion fruit and moose flavor.” Looking beyond all the pollen strewn on the plane, we'll call this great.

Intending to share Jason’s dessert Onsy clearly sensed we were a family in need of as much sweetness as we could get so he brought me a Congratulations moose and brownie.

He said this was for “for haunches such a somersault kid.” Casey is quite the little gymnast but I’m pretty sure this had something to do with having the worlds greatest dining kid with us.

Speaking of the saint that is my child Onsy brought her a art project cookie.

Amazing food, impeccable service, and a wee bit o tipsiness this meal was everything our souls and stomachs needed. Jiko is always at the top of our Disney dining destinations and this visit continued their amazing trend. Jason even declared “come for steak but stay for Mac and. Geese.” Not only did we save $42.15 with our tables in wonderland card but 5 forky’s were unquestionably given.

We ubered back to Caribbean Beach from there and the last thing I have in my notes from the night…
Gymnastics

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, so we’ll just do another somersault and call it a night.

Up next some more not so magical hours

Last edited:
Jiko looked fabulous! I need to get over there to try it some time. I am a heathen who doesn't like mac and cheese, but I bet my husband would love that!

Seriously though the bugs and toes aside this is rich and decadent and with tons of textures and flavors.
The Mac and cheese minus the toes and bugs, :hyper: looks and sounds yummy!
Tipsy notes are so fun. You are great at deciphering the notes!
Amazing food, impeccable service, and a wee bit o tipsiness this meal was everything our souls and stomachs needed
This dinner looked wonderful. You did need this! I love the picture of Casey with her light up drink, so cute!

No idea what this was either but clearly she was a happy camper.
Awsome cup! Ha! I am sure that made her night.

“Jason kind king special with ref wins fight.”
I feel like Jason would def be a kind king...

Out of sauvignon blanc I moved to “Guervtimwbr” to enjoy with this.

Can you name that wine?
I can't spell that wine correctly when I am not tispy... But I do love a good Gwentzeresner as well.

As part of the lion king meal Jason got the Bone-in Rib Eye with hibiscus, nettle, and fregula (couscous like pasta).
That looks really good. We have this for reservation Valentine's Day! I can't wait!

He said this was for “for haunches such a somersault kid.” Casey is quite the little gymnast but I’m pretty sure this had something to do with having the worlds greatest dining kid with us.
Were there a lot of kids in there?

Amazing food, impeccable service, and a wee bit o tipsiness this meal was everything our souls and stomachs needed. Jiko is always at the top of our Disney dining destinations and this visit continued their amazing trend. Jason even declared “come for steak but stay for Mac and. Geese.”
So glad to hear the meals get better! And I plan to take Jason's advice when we finally try this place!

Onsy brought Casey some sort of ridiculous lion king light up juice concoction.
OMG! That was soooo sweet! I bet Casey was in Heaven!

While not a classic mac and cheese it is unequivocally the best I’ve ever eaten.
It looks so good and I've only heard great things about it.

I’m pretty sure this had something to do with having the worlds greatest dining kid with us.
You are raising her well!!!!!!!

Amazing food, impeccable service, and a wee bit o tipsiness this meal was everything our souls and stomachs needed.
Yep, Joe and I definitely need to make it to Jiko one of these trips. Everything you ate looked delicious!

All right, I am new to your reports and was very curious what all this talk of tipsy notes was about. Well, it did not disappoint! I love, love, love that you included them in your update along with a deciphering. I feel like I've written a few of those in my Disney traveling career but none have been that good. I can't wait for more.

I'm also happy to see you guys finally got some decent food! That steak and mac and cheese looked delicious.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:I love your tipsy notes. Thank goodness that Jiko was able to offer comfort and redemption of the Disney dining scene. I ate there a few weeks ago and it was sooooooooo good. It is at the top of my list for dinner options, for sure. I love AKL in general -- it makes for such a fun evening overall. I am again so impressed by Casey's poise and palate. I was definitely a hot dogs and chicken nuggets kind of eater and I regret all those lost years of dining opportunity.

Yay for Jiko breaking the bad food streak! That Lion King special menu sounds like it was a good deal! It is long gone now when I was there last night (in the bar only).

That is the meal you all needed!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: THIS. IS. AMAZING. Please oh please you must share and we have to figure out how to get this into the Photopass hall of fame. Please oh please post it in our Facebook group or text it to me. I must have "was there some" in my life
Maybe another real life update is in order... ;) :thumbsup2

A Tipsy Redemption Song

Queue the Bob Marley Music 🇯🇲
My fave Bob Marley song!

“Guervtimwbr”

Can you name that wine?
I can! But I'm not sure I could spell it any better than yours :rotfl:

As part of the lion king meal
This cracks me up...

Beyond the clear fact that this is apparently supposed to entice you with blood stains and carnage all over the plate
OMG that was the first thing I noticed! :scared1:

Jiko looked fabulous! I need to get over there to try it some time. I am a heathen who doesn't like mac and cheese, but I bet my husband would love that!
You really should give Jiko a try. It is the one Disney restaurant that has never disappointed us. And this mac and cheese is so un mac and cheesey you may just like it :D

The Mac and cheese minus the toes and bugs, :hyper: looks and sounds yummy!
Toes and bugs really is just more protein :earboy2:

Tipsy notes are so fun. You are great at deciphering the notes!
11 dining reports in I've become a real pro :D Seriously my memory and deductive reasoning is all that keeps the deciphering going.

This dinner looked wonderful. You did need this! I love the picture of Casey with her light up drink, so cute!
We did need it and it so fed our Disney souls.

Awsome cup! Ha! I am sure that made her night.
She was beyond thrilled with herself, until we forgot the cup and left it in the hotel of course :D

I can't spell that wine correctly when I am not tispy... But I do love a good Gwentzeresner as well.
Can anyone really spell what essentially sounds like a sneeze? 🤧

That looks really good. We have this for reservation Valentine's Day! I can't wait!
Awesome. I don't think there is any chance it will disappoint. Service and food is always impeccable.

Were there a lot of kids in there?
I really don't remember on this trip but there are usually a few in there. Probably not as many as CG sees but Casey is never alone.

I am loving your writing, your humor, your pics, and your forkys!!!
Thank you so much!

OMG! That was soooo sweet! I bet Casey was in Heaven!
Lion King cup heaven. All it takes is a cool cup and a glow cube and that girl is sold.

You are raising her well!!!!!!!
She's raising herself well. We're just here to make sure she doesn't get too hurt along the way :D

Yep, Joe and I definitely need to make it to Jiko one of these trips. Everything you ate looked delicious!
Have you guys not been???? It's SO good!

All right, I am new to your reports and was very curious what all this talk of tipsy notes was about. Well, it did not disappoint! I love, love, love that you included them in your update along with a deciphering. I feel like I've written a few of those in my Disney traveling career but none have been that good. I can't wait for more.
Welcome to tipsy town :drinking1 Usually I can decipher what I wrote but that is not always the case. I just got thoughts into notes on my phone, but after a few glasses of wine and in a haste to recall what we just ate my ability to be comprehendible is often suspect. Sounds like you may be another pea in a tipsy pod:D

I'm also happy to see you guys finally got some decent food! That steak and mac and cheese looked delicious.
It was delicious and everything we needed!!!

I love your tipsy notes.
Me too :drinking1

I ate there a few weeks ago and it was sooooooooo good. It is at the top of my list for dinner options, for sure. I love AKL in general -- it makes for such a fun evening overall.
I'm so with you. Thinking back on all the Disney restaurants we've visited I'd say Jiko is the one and only that has never disappointed us. So good.

I am again so impressed by Casey's poise and palate. I was definitely a hot dogs and chicken nuggets kind of eater and I regret all those lost years of dining opportunity.
Don't get me wrong that kid will devour a hot dog if given a chance, but thankfully she loves the quality stuff too. Chicken nuggets though she's probably eaten less than 10 times in her life. She's never had them with us, but my Dad sneaks her out for fast food every once in a while :P

following along
:welcome:

I've been quietly reading along. I don't drink much, but when I do, I'm on vacation. I am totally going to start tipsy dining reviews. It should be a thing. (Also, no way I'd eat at these places. I'm from Kansas. Olive Garden is pretty fancy for me.)
It most definitely should be a thing. Now tipsy olive garden I'm pretty sure we could make into an internet sensation :D

Yay for Jiko breaking the bad food streak! That Lion King special menu sounds like it was a good deal! It is long gone now when I was there last night (in the bar only).

That is the meal you all needed!
Last night????? I had no idea you are back in the world!!! We are planning to go this time next year for Jason to do wine and dine and that may be the longest ever since we've been.

Thankfully Jiko largely breaks the streak for good. We have another almost fail, but some dessert saved it.

Maybe another real life update is in order... ;) :thumbsup2
YES, PLEASE, AND THANK YOU!!!

My fave Bob Marley song!
I kept trying to work the lyrics in here in some creative way but the juices were not flowing.

I can! But I'm not sure I could spell it any better than yours :rotfl:
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I usually drink Gruner Veltliner over it because its similar and I have a fighting chance of saying or spelling it right.

OMG that was the first thing I noticed! :scared1:
It was definitely quite the plating! Someone had there lion king juices flowing 🦁

Last night????? I had no idea you are back in the world!!! We are planning to go this time next year for Jason to do wine and dine and that may be the longest ever since we've been.

Thankfully Jiko largely breaks the streak for good. We have another almost fail, but some dessert saved it.

I had a two night whirlwind trip for Food and Wine Festival with 6 girlfriends. Arrived at like 7:45PM Friday - had dinner at Sanaa, spent most of Saturday in EPCOT for F&W with the masses and did dinner at the bar at Jiko that evening. We did HS for a couple hours Sunday morning to get some Star Wars in before heading home & a walk in alcoholic breakfast at Oga's. No dining report as I didn't take enough photos and rather not document some of the stuff that happened that weekend anyway. I will be back for Thanksgiving and will report on that.

We'll be there this time next year as well! Thinking October 30th to Nov 8th or 9th. I need to pin it down soon since I have to make our DVC reservations for Boardwalk. Maybe we'll finally meet that time around!

I'm 8 pages late to the party, but so glad to be here :) Your poor pup; I'm so glad you didn't end up having to go home from your trip early, but I can't even imagine how anxious you all must have felt trying to decide what to do!

Jason got a Castle beer which after being unimpressed by it he surmised it was likely the Miller Lite of Africa.
So, you're saying if I ever go to Africa, I'm all set?!

We sipped on some wine and prettied ourselves before ubering from Caribbean Beach to Animal Kingdom Lodge. We even stopped to take some photos along the way.

Very nice :goodvibes

Speaking of the saint that is my child Onsy brought her a art project cookie.

How fun!

Amazing food, impeccable service, and a wee bit o tipsiness this meal was everything our souls and stomachs needed. Jiko is always at the top of our Disney dining destinations and this visit continued their amazing trend.

Well, it's nice to hear that your faith in Disney Dining was restored after this meal ::yes::

Jason even declared “come for steak but stay for Mac and. Geese.”

Orrrr...something like that. :laughing:

As always, your tipsy notes are a delight to try to decipher!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter