Zarina - Pirate Fairy Costume

AileenGP

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know if they still carry the Pirate Fairy Costumes in DL/DTD? We'll be there Oct 6-9...

DD6 has decided she wanted to be the pirate fairy for halloween since ALL her friends wanted to be Elsa and she wanted to be different....little did I know it seems harder to find this costume because only the Disney Store carries it and they're not restocking it! I called 6 stores within driving distance from me or my mom and they only have size 2 or 3.. with the exception of one store with a size 4 - I probably need a size 5/6 or 7/8 to allow room for growth.

Also, does anyone have the costume from the disney store and can tell me if it runs true to size/is stretchy at all on the bodice?

My DD6 is super petite (she measures a size 4/XS according to the disney sizing chart) and the store with a size 4 is nearly an hour away but am wondering if I should even make the drive if it's not going to fit. For reference she was able to fit into the size 4 Elsa dress at JCP.

I really don't want to have to dust off my sewing machine...

TIA!!

They have it for sale right now on the disney store website. I have found that disney costumes are pretty much right on the size they say they are.

That's where we first saw the costume, on the website, but unfortunately they only have size 2 available. :worried:

Let me just say that I love the fact that your DD6 wants to be different and not what everyone else will be wearing...that's a great quality for her to have. My DD10 is the same way and my sewing machine has gotten good use. :-) One year...before feathers became a "thing" she wanted to be a peacock. Her homemade costume was amazing and she got a ton of compliments. Needless to say, her costumes end up costing more time and money than any store bought costume but it's worth it to encourage her creativity and individuality.

Let me just say that I love the fact that your DD6 wants to be different and not what everyone else will be wearing...that's a great quality for her to have. My DD10 is the same way and my sewing machine has gotten good use. :-) One year...before feathers became a "thing" she wanted to be a peacock. Her homemade costume was amazing and she got a ton of compliments. Needless to say, her costumes end up costing more time and money than any store bought costume but it's worth it to encourage her creativity and individuality.

Yeah.. it definitely made me really proud that she wanted to do her own thing and be unique =) .... which is why I'm determined to get her this costume (though I refuse to pay the $150-200 people are asking for)

The more I think about it, I may just suck it up, dust off that sewing machine, and head to the fabric store. Taking into account gas for a 2 hour round trip on top of the costume price (not knowing if it she will even squeeze into the size 4!), it still may come out cheaper to sew it and we can do it together. (She's already coming up with a drawing/plan to make her own sword and a baggie for the pixie dust)....

*Sigh* At least tinkerbell (for DD2) is going to be easier to get..

(She's already coming up with a drawing/plan to make her own sword and a baggie for the pixie dust)....

That is adorable! :lovestruc

That said, did you try eBay? I saw some BINs for prices that are still probably way higher than Disney Store's (I didn't look) but nowhere near the $150+ you were citing. Your time is worth something.

Of course, making a gorgeous handmade costume is great, and spending that time with your daughter is priceless...but there are other ways to make things for her and spend time with her if you want. :)

I was at a Disney outlet store about two weeks ago and saw one there. I didn't pay much attention to it but I think they had several to choose. I just googled Zarina, Pirate Fairy and some costumes came up. One costing $25. It's not like the Disney one, but it's still nice.

We had breakfast in the park this morning and did a bit of Princess dress shopping and we did not see any Zarina costumes.

My DD4 will be Zarina for Halloween too. We bought her the Disney Store version when the movies was first released. I have noticed they're pretty tough to come by now. Also need to mention that dress actually runs small unlike all the other Disney Store costumes.

If you're looking for boots I ordered a cute pair of brown ones with buckles from Children's Place and bought her a sword from Pieces of Eight in NOS.

It would be fantastic if you can maker her one so she can truly be unique. :-)

My DD is 3 turning 4 after Halloween, she's on the shorter size. I got her a size 4 in the Zarina costume and it fits pretty well she's got a tiny room to grow into it but she's not swimming in it. If I had the skill to make her one I would, I too am a proud Mama that she chose something other than Elsa for Halloween!! Good luck!

Thanks everyone!

As much as I would love to buy one from ebay (and I did check again and find a size 7/8 a little over $100), I can't bring myself to pay 2-3 times the price of the costume, especially since we can't really afford to spend that kind of money on a costume when DH is the only one working.

I saw the pink/purple costumes that are more readily available, but DD6 was adamant that Zarina never wore that outfit and it should be dark greenish brown (she even made me pull up a picture of Zarina to show me..lol)

Because it was eating at me, I decided to make the hour drive and check out the size 4 costume at the Disney Store hoping and praying it would fit... and it did.. in the torso. Unfortunately it was short but at least I'm not thinking should've/would've/could've...(I saw the response from Vintage Mouseketeer about it running small after I got there already).

While we were there, so it wasn't a lost trip, I went ahead and bought the wings. Now I've just gotta figure out the pattern and find fabric for the costume. At least I have 2 months to figure it all out and actually make it...wish me luck!

how awesome for zarina to get some love, are you doing the october 8th party?
also, you must take them to meet the fairies at pixie hollow!!!!

I'm not sure if your daughter could understand that the same pattern could work for characters who are NOT Elsa and Anna, but I think the non-licensed Anna outfit at http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7000-products-48617.php?page_id=494 is a pretty decent match. Unlike the movie, unlicensed Anna's bodice doesn't go over the shoulders.

(But if the pattern will make your daughter freak out that she doesn't want to be Elsa--or maybe worse, convince her that she wants to be Elsa!--then that may not be worth it. I guess you could always hide the envelope, though.)

I think http://www.simplicity.com/p-11875-childs-and-girls.aspx could work, though you'd have to figure out a way to make a less-horrible skirt.

To me, http://www.simplicity.com/p-1972-costumes.aspx has the nicest shirt and skirt, but I don't see a way to get a bodice out of it.

Best of luck! (I do think Zarina's outfit is the prettiest of all the Disney Fairies'...your daughter has good taste beyond her years. :) )

I think I have a solution for you! :) I surprise my kids with costumes to wear at Disneyland every year we go during Halloween. I ordered my daughter's Zarina costume from the Disney Store online back when the movie came out. Because my daughter is 9 (average size) it will probably be a little short, but I thought that was the largest size it came in (I saw a 9/10 on line at the Disney store afterwards, but I'd already purchased the 7/8 and it seemed like it would be too much of a pain to do the exchange, etc.) She wears bike shorts under skirts all the time anyway, so I figured she'd just do that, even if the skirt was short.

*Anyway* (sorry for all the backstory), I'm going to give it to her when we go on the trip in mid-October, but we'll be back 10 days before Halloween. I could just wash it and send it to you. (We're in Northern CA too). Honestly, I know DD9 would be happy to make some other child's Halloween dream happen, and if it really runs small, I bet this DLR trip will be the only time it would fit her.

PM me if you want to email or talk and I'll give you my contact info. :dance3:

P.S. - I didn't buy wings, since I figured she would use her Tinkerbell wings--yeah, she's 9 but she *loves* everything Disney and doesn't feel at all too old for all the costumes--but it sounds like you already picked those up anyway.

P.P.S. - I have no idea why there is a red face at the top of this post. I could not make it go away!

Keep in mind that Disney Stores across the country will ship to you as long as you pay the shipping costs. It is much like ordering online. Simply call any Disney store and inquire about the size 5/6. If they have it, you can mention that you would like to buy it over the phone and have it sent to you.

I have faith that at least one store in the US has a Zarina costume in a 5/6. I know that our local stores were restocked with the Zarina costume fairly recently.

OMG!! Thanks soo much everyone for all the help/responses!! You are all so awesome!

To me, [link] has the nicest shirt and skirt, but I don't see a way to get a bodice out of it.

Best of luck! (I do think Zarina's outfit is the prettiest of all the Disney Fairies'...your daughter has good taste beyond her years. :) )

This is the pattern I was thinking of using for inspiration. My plan was to make the dress, modify it to have a drapey looking skirt on top of the underskirt and give it some body, Then make a separate soft corset looking bodice to go over the torso of the dress, like a corset would.

I think I have a solution for you! :) I surprise my kids with costumes to wear at Disneyland every year we go during Halloween. I ordered my daughter's Zarina costume from the Disney Store online back when the movie came out. Because my daughter is 9 (average size) it will probably be a little short, but I thought that was the largest size it came in (I saw a 9/10 on line at the Disney store afterwards, but I'd already purchased the 7/8 and it seemed like it would be too much of a pain to do the exchange, etc.) She wears bike shorts under skirts all the time anyway, so I figured she'd just do that, even if the skirt was short.

*Anyway* (sorry for all the backstory), I'm going to give it to her when we go on the trip in mid-October, but we'll be back 10 days before Halloween. I could just wash it and send it to you. (We're in Northern CA too). Honestly, I know DD9 would be happy to make some other child's Halloween dream happen, and if it really runs small, I bet this DLR trip will be the only time it would fit her.

PM me if you want to email or talk and I'll give you my contact info. :dance3:

P.S. - I didn't buy wings, since I figured she would use her Tinkerbell wings--yeah, she's 9 but she *loves* everything Disney and doesn't feel at all too old for all the costumes--but it sounds like you already picked those up anyway.

P.P.S. - I have no idea why there is a red face at the top of this post. I could not make it go away!

Thank you sooo much!! However, now that I talked to DD6 about having to make it, she's super excited about helping choose fabrics and having a costume "made by mommy" (Plus I feel bad because I spent a lot of time sewing items for DD2 when she was a baby and nothing for DD6)

Plus, now she wants to wear it to DL on our trip which is literally the week before you guys go...(which shortens my timeline.. eek!!)

Would it be okay though if I contact you later (if this *ahem* experiment) doesn't work and she has nothing to wear for Halloween?

She does have some other fairy wings but she gave it to DD6 for her Tinkerbell costume.

Keep in mind that Disney Stores across the country will ship to you as long as you pay the shipping costs. It is much like ordering online. Simply call any Disney store and inquire about the size 5/6. If they have it, you can mention that you would like to buy it over the phone and have it sent to you.

I have faith that at least one store in the US has a Zarina costume in a 5/6. I know that our local stores were restocked with the Zarina costume fairly recently.

I had no idea Disney Stores ship out or that the Zarina costumes were restocked. The CMs I spoke with said they didn't get any Zarina outfits in the last few costume shipments they received.

I'll definitely keep that in mind!! If my efforts don't work out.. I may have to go this route...

Thanks again!!

Would it be okay though if I contact you later (if this *ahem* experiment) doesn't work and she has nothing to wear for Halloween?

Of course! By the way, I think it's awesome that you want your daughter to have the costume her heart is set on. (Halloween is our family's favorite holiday, so we get it and take costumes seriously!)

My almost three year old is going to be zarina for Halloween. It's also her party theme. I ordered a costume and wings from etsy. Quality is amazing!

This is the pattern I was thinking of using for inspiration. My plan was to make the dress, modify it to have a drapey looking skirt on top of the underskirt and give it some body, Then make a separate soft corset looking bodice to go over the torso of the dress, like a corset would.

Sounds amazing! If the costume works out, I'd love to see pictures! :)

My almost three year old is going to be zarina for Halloween. It's also her party theme. I ordered a costume and wings from etsy. Quality is amazing!

Can you tell me which Etsy store you used? My 4 year old has her heart set on being Zarina and we're having no luck finding a costume in her size'. She can probably do a 5/6 or a 7/8 which seems like it would make it easier but I've called all around and no one has any. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter