Your thoughts on this...

stitchlover

DIS Veteran
DH and I will celebrate our 20th anniversary this August. I told him for our anniversary I would really like to go back to Disneyland (went for the first time last June and I was under the weather while there). BUT we have a 13 year old daughter that we don't want to take with us because it's our anniversary after all! So should I be feeling guilty about not taking her? We are taking her to WDW in March!
What do you think?

DH and I will celebrate our 20th anniversary this August. I told him for our anniversary I would really like to go back to Disneyland (went for the first time last June and I was under the weather while there). BUT we have a 13 year old daughter that we don't want to take with us because it's our anniversary after all! So should I be feeling guilty about not taking her? We are taking her to WDW in March!
What do you think?

You shouldn't feel guilty at all! Definitely go and have fun! That being said, I'd feel guilty. :laughing: I know, I'm sooo helpful! :lmao:

You can give her a choice...
Stay at home
or
go with us and we put you in a locker....... :lmao: :lmao:

No for real now, don't feel guilty at all, just enjoy yourself and she has a trip to WDW so kids can't have it all.....

As a teenager, I can vouch for your daughter and say that you should have a good time. Parents deserve a vacation once in a while.

And besides, your going to WDW in March!

Enjoy!

You can give her a choice...
Stay at home
or
go with us and we put you in a locker....... :lmao: :lmao:

No for real now, don't feel guilty at all, just enjoy yourself and she has a trip to WDW so kids can't have it all.....

Yvet-you are spending too much time with John and Kevin. This sounds like a response they would have!

You shouldn't feel guilty at all! Definitely go and have fun! That being said, I'd feel guilty. :laughing: I know, I'm sooo helpful! :lmao:

That what I would be like as well :lmao:

Yvet-you are spending too much time with John and Kevin. This sounds like a response they would have!

Just listening carefully to the podcast and having the same humor makes it easy.....

I say GO!!

Let DD have a break from you. At 13 she might like some time away from you.

Just tell her that mommy and daddy want to be all romantic and anniversarying the whole time...she'll run and hide!

I think you should let her know there will be lots of kissing! That's usually enough to send my kids running in the other direction. :lmao: Seriously though, married couples need time alone to reconnect. I fondly remember my parents going on trips to Saint Thomas and other places, and leaving one of my grandmothers in charge. There was even the one time my Dad's Mom forgot her teeth, and we had to spend the week mushing up her food. Do a scavenger hunt for her so that each day you are gone she gets to open a present. You have nothing to feel guilty about. Plan away!

We have a family rule that mom and dad are allowed one adults-only Disney trip per year without guilt. We find that it allows us to have more fun when we travle with the family since we don't push to do things we would want (like dinner at Jiko, Flying Fish, V&A's, ...well you get the point) and just have fun with the family.

I was crushed that I wasn't taken on my parents 25th anniversary trip and i was 19! :rotfl:

Honestly though, if you are taking her to WDW, she has no reason to complain. Couples need time alone, and some day she'll understand!

Maybe promise to bring her back something good, worked well on me! :goodvibes

GO! We've left the kids alone twice to go to WDW (well, not alone alone, but with adult supervision).

I live near DL and sometimes when my son doesn't have school, my wife and I go without him. It is your anniversary after all.

Have fun!

We mentioned to her last night that we were thinking about this and she just completely teared up. We have taken other weekends away here and there but never to someplace like Disney. If it weren't surface of the sun hot in August we would go to WDW.
I think I'm going to seriously talk to my husband about it this evening and look at booking a vacation for us.

What do you think?

Don't feel guilty, it's your anniversary. It's time for just both of you, so just enjoy and have fun. You will still have a time together with your DS on March.

Have a nice and safe trip coming. :)

The best thing parents can do for their kids is have a great relationship. This kind of stuff is key. You can send her pics and buy her gifts - make it fun somehow, but enjoy your time away. Is she an only child?

My DH and I were discussing the same sort of thing recently. We're coming up on our 10th anniversary last year, and since we spent our honeymoon at WDW, we thought it would be kind of nice to go back (plus, our anniversary is over MouseFest - bonus!).

BUT - we have two kids, DD4 and DS2. They'd be a year older, obviously, but I just can't imagine that I'd enjoy myself there without them. You know? Plus, I'm not 100% comfortable leaving them home with anyone, even my parents, really (for that length of time).

Since you have another family trip coming up to WDW, that counters the anniversary trip. And maybe there's something else that she'd like to do with the both of you shortly after or before the anniversary trip - I don't mean another vacation, but something else special that would mean a lot to her (maybe a concert with a favorite band?).

Couples definitely need the time together. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter