Your favorite DL little detail that you love!

mickeymom22

DIS Veteran
I have been to WDW many times, and I love the small details that make a big smile come across my face!

Example: I love the twinkly sidewalks in Epcot. I have to see them at least once on every trip!

I will be in DL/CA in July, and I would love to hear what small details make you happy that you have found there!

Thanks!

Over by Princess Fantasy Faire and the theatre there's a walkway leading to Frontierland, Rancho del Zocalo and very importantly -- bathrooms! If you look up to the right before heading into the covered walkway Figaro the cat is being teased by a caged bird. You need to stop and watch - the bird's chirping stirs Figaro from his catnap and he'll open his eyes. When we were there in December it did not seem to be working which was disappointing. It's such a cute detail that I bet a lot of people don't even notice.

We also love the "secret" pathway behind the Harbor Galley (over near the Haunted Mansion/Splash). If you walk around the restaurant towards the River you get a great view of the Columbia, Mark Twain and you'll see the Splash riders below you after they've gone down the big drop. You'll come out in Critter Country. It's not really a secret, but it's still a spot that I bet the majority of guests don't know is there.

Another mention for The Little Man of Disneyland house (it's at the base of the tree near the entrance to Indy). If you have a chance to read the story it's based on before you go, it a cute little Golden Book.

If you're a fan of the American Adventure in Epcot, in the Civil War sequence, the train station used in that sequence is the New Orleans station. It's a nice little connection between DL and Epcot.

It's not really a detail, but we also like to go looking for a cat in DLR. There are usually a pair of them over by Grizzly River in the afternoon.

Looking for all of the mice in the art work surrounding Mortimor's Market in DCA. We were on a tour and the CM explained that Mortimor had invited all of his friends/family to the stand, so there are mice scattered throughout the reliefs.

The first for me is Walt's lamp above the fire station. Whenever Walt was in the park, he would light the lamp. When he passed away, they kept the light on to memorialize his presence in the park. I love walking by on my way out at night time and saying "see you later" to Walt.

Another one for me are the small details on Main Street with nods to Disney history. There is one window that is an homage to Walt's father, Elias Disney (above the Emporium). The ticket attendant (mannequin) at the Main Street Cinema, Tilly, has Marceline, MO as her hometown on her name tag -- which was Walt's hometown.

I also love seeing the cats near Grizzly River Run at DCA. There is a beautiful long haired kitty that always seems to hang out behind Grizzly River Run near the GCH exit.

I have too many! I've never been to WDW, so I have no idea if these are the same on the other coast or not. And some of these are bigger "attractions," but often ignored or passed over. Anyway, these are definitely what make me smile at DLR:

* Main Street window displays- there are enchanted moving displays, but also just reading the names on the windows above
* Main street penny arcade
* Evil Queen over Snow White ride
* Snow White's grotto beside the castle
* Sleeping Beauty castle walk through
* All of the sounds coming from the windows in New Orleans Square
* Listening to the telegraph at the railroad stations
* The Grand Canyon and dinosaur scenes on the railroad from Tomorrowland to Main Street
* another vote for finding the remnants of the Hidden Mine Train
* It's cheezy, but I LOVE watching the Laughing Stock Co. show in the Golden Horseshoe
* The Disneyland Band, Piano Players on Main Street, and Jazz band in New Orleans Square are wonderful!
* Great Moments with Mr Lincoln- I can't leave without watching it once
* Looking for the Country Bear Jambouree heads still in Winnie the Pooh
* Seeing all the little characters turning the wheels on popcorn carts
* Climbers scaling the Matterhorn- I don't know if they still do this, but they used to have real mountain climbers scaling the mountain
* Seeing the real caliope and listening to it play by the dumbo ride
* Watching the Cheshire Cat appear in the mirror at the Mad Hatter shop in Fantasyland
* identifying the edible plants in Tomorrowland

Ok-- I have to stop. I could do this all day!

I don’t know if this is a small detail, but it’s something that isn’t out all the time.

A few years ago, my family and I were lucky enough to arrange a ride on the Lilly Belle caboose for the grand circle tour. Whenever I see it out, I think about that ride and how special it was for us.

Captain Hook’s lantern in the Peter Pan queue. The faces of Captain Hook, Smee, and Tick Tock the crocodile carved into the top of posts on the BBB building. The 3 fairies on the Sleeping Beauty statue behind the castle. The footprint of the Abominable Snowman by the Matterhorn. The shooting star on the ceiling in the bayou scene at the beginning of Pirates. The little houses along the stream that runs past Winnie the Pooh down towards Pooh corner. How they decorate those houses and the ones in Storybookland Canal Boats at Christmas time. The wandering light in the windows of the Haunted Mansion at night. The squirrels in posts on the front of Snow White’s Scary Adventures. The apple outside of Snow White’s Scary Adventures and what happens when you touch it, then touch it again.

I don’t know if this is a small detail, but it’s something that isn’t out all the time.

A few years ago, my family and I were lucky enough to arrange a ride on the Lilly Belle caboose for the grand circle tour. Whenever I see it out, I think about that ride and how special it was for us.
I don’t think you can do this anymore.

I love this thread! So many little details!

The lanterns in Rancho Del Zocalo at night - magical. Especially just walking by when it's closed.

This is a goofy one - on Small World, in England, there's a boy sitting on the bridge overhead holding a flag that says "SCHOOL." DH and I have always gotten a kick out of that for some reason - it just seems so incredibly random - so we always say, "SCHOOL!!!" really excitedly every time we go under that bridge. (It occurs to me that this may also be at WDW, but we've never done IASW there.)

P.S. OP - those twinkly sidewalks at Epcot are one of my favorite things at night there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!