You Only Turn 40 Once - A Pre-trip Report

dolphingirl47

In Search of the Tag Fairy
They say you only turn 40 once and as such, this event needs to be celebrated in style. As we both love travelling and we have not much by the way of family or local friends, there seems no better way to celebrate this than going on a special trip.

The Cast

Corinna
I will turn 40 during this trip. I am a big Disney nut and generally a big kid. I love Stitch and can’t wait to visit him in his home Hawaii. Apart from anything Disney, I love swimming snorkeling and anything to do with dolphins. I am also interested in architecture, history and love the glass art by Dale Chihuly.

Graham
He does not really get Disney, but likes the customer service that they provide. He is also generally happy when I am happy. Like me, he enjoys swimming and snorkeling. He also likes going exploring and usually ends up well off the beaten track and every now and again somewhere where maybe strictly spoken he should not be.

This is going to be a very unusual trip for us. Most trips that we have taken since 2008 have included a cruise apart from the odd quick trip to Dubai. This trip was at one stage supposed to include a cruise on the NCL Pride of America as well, but we decided that we would rather spend more time at Aulani and Disneyland. Normally as part of the planning process, I get at least one custom gown and some custom jewellery to go with it as well as something like a Fish Extender or Door Spotter. For this trip, I don’t need any of this as it is just not this kind of trip. There are not going to be any formal events.

Another aspect that takes a little bit of getting used to is the time scales that Disneyland works to. I am a bit of a compulsive planner and since we have started to stay onsite at Walt Disney World, I am used to being able to see the hours and make my dining reservations 180 days in advance. Disneyland works on a bit of a more leisurely time scale. There you can make dining reservations 60 days ahead of time, but the hours are not released until approximately 45 days out. At this moment in time, they have not even released the start date for the Holiday season. Tours can even only be booked 30 days in advance so this is quite a challenge for a planner like me. Still, I am really excited about this trip and can’t wait for this to arrive.

I'm in! Can't wait to hear all about this trip.

Jill in CO

Can't wait to share in another one of your adventures!:cool1:

I'm in! I even get to make a cameo!

Welcome. You sure will. :thumbsup2

Can't wait to share in another one of your adventures!:cool1:

Welcome.

I'm in yeah! When do you go what month?

Welcome. In November.

Oh Corinna I'm soooo excited another TR to look forward too :thumbsup2

Welcome.

I'm here! Your trip is right around the corner!!! :cool1:

Welcome. Yes, it is and before then I will have at least one work-related trip.

Corinna

Joining in. That pic is gorgeous. Where do you get the dresses you've some fab ones :goodvibes

Looking forward to hearing about Hawaii.

Welcome. I am really looking forward to getting to write about Hawaii.

Joining in. That pic is gorgeous. Where do you get the dresses you've some fab ones :goodvibes

Welcome. The dress was custom made by a seller I found on Ebay. I saw this photo and fell in love with the dress:

I then asked them to change the white to dark green and the white embroidery to either gold or a green to match the green fabric and this is what I came out with. I think this is still my favourite dress although I really love the gold and purple one that I wore for the first formal night on the Panama Canal cruise as well.
Corinna

Our first visit to Disneyland was a happy accident. We had planned to go to Orlando for my Easter break in 2001, but the prices were astronomical. So we looked what else there was available and came across a really good deal for the Disneyland resort area. I figured it was still Disney and SeaWorld was not too far away either so we jumped onto this. We had a fantastic trip and I totally fell in love with Disneyland. I love how compact everything is and the history of the place. After all, this was really Walt's park. I am also one of the few people who really loved the original California Adventure and the educational aspect of this. Having said that, I really loved Buena Vista Street when I got a quick visit last year and also the rides in Cars Land. World of Color has turned out to be my favourite Disney show.

After our visit in 2006, Disneyland kind of went on a back burner. We became DVC members and discovered our love for cruising and with this, our focus shifted to the east coast of the USA. Still, in 2011 the Disney Wonder moved to Los Angeles and Disneyland by then had a DVC resort and my love for Disneyland was rekindled. Since then I have been lucky enough to visit Disneyland every year.

Some of my most precious memories were made at Disneyland. I had the chance to do a Trash the Dress photo shoot at Mickey's Halloween Party in 2011. In 2012, I got to ride the Lilly Belle Presidential Parlour Car and in 2013 I got to have pre-dinner drinks at the 1901 Lounge and have brunch with friends at Club 33. On this trip I will be able to cross off a few more things from my bucket list, but I will talk about those in later installments.

The main focus this time round is the Holiday season at Disneyland. I have heard and seen so many great things about this that I can't wait to experience this for myself. As Disneyland is notoriously slow in releasing information, I am not sure if this will have started when we are there for two days before we head to Aulani, but it will definitely be in full swing once we get back. I experienced the Halloween season at Disneyland in 2011 and loved it so I have high hopes for the Christmas season. One element that I am particularly looking forward to is Haunted Mansion Holiday. I did this a number of times in 2011 as the attraction spans the Halloween and Holiday seasons and absolutely adored it. I can't wait to do this again.

Other elements are pretty much set in stone like the return of It's A Small World Holiday, the Jingle Jangle Jamboree, the A Christmas Fantasy Parade, the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks and the castle lighting. Some elements we have to wait and see if they are back this year like the Viva Navidad street party at California Adventure, World of Color Winter Dreams and Jingle Cruise. I am really hoping that Viva Navidad will return, but I rather have the normal version of World of Color. I did not really rate Jingle Cruise at Walt Disney World last year, but I am willing to give it another chance. There are also rumours that they will add a Frozen mini land to Hollywood Land in California Adventure.

Although I am curious about what entertainment will be on offer, what I am most looking forward to are the decoration and the characters in their various Holiday costumes. I am sure my Photopass card will get a pretty good workout. I will also set aside some time for some resort hopping to enjoy the decorations and the carol singers at the hotels. I can't quite believe that I will finally get to see this all.

Oh I am really looking forward to this :-) Oh do you have photos of trash the dress Halloween? I would love to see that! I think trash the dress is awesome.

I hope stitch will be wearing a cute Santa outfit :-)

Luvin the pics..Don't forget some time for Dis meets :goodvibes

Everything looks GORGEOUS!!! What a treat to see all of that!

I can't wait to finally seeing this all for myself.

Oh I am really looking forward to this :-) Oh do you have photos of trash the dress Halloween? I would love to see that! I think trash the dress is awesome.

I hope stitch will be wearing a cute Santa outfit :-)

The first photo is from the Trash the Dress shoot. Here are a few more (photos courtesy of Jennifer McNeil Photography www.imajenn.com)

I wish there that Stitch would be out in his Santa outfit, but he seems to have fallen out of favour at Disneyland. The only place I have ever seen him there is at the character breakfast at the Paradise Pier Hotel. From what I heard the holiday season at Aulani does not start until Thanksgiving, by which time we are back at Disneyland.

Luvin the pics..Don't forget some time for Dis meets :goodvibes

There most certainly will be some DIS meets.

Corinna

Dang! I missed seeing that link earlier.

Love the pictures in the Trash the Dress shoot. You look gorgeous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter