• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

You must be swift as the coursing river (as long as it's the Lazy River) - comments welcome

The idea of a "gotcha day" is cute. We've always gotten kittens and just counted back their estimated ages and decided on a birthday. It's not like they know, anyway. LOL

The short intervals (400 m / 2 min and shorter) are really hard to tell if they are going "right". I'm not convinced that normal GPS can track well enough to really figure out your speed in 2 min (and especially shorter than that). But more than that, there is quite a lag with wrist HR monitors, so they never get up to the effort level you feel like you're doing in just 2 min. So, you just have to do the best you can. But it always bothers me, too.

The short intervals (400 m / 2 min and shorter) are really hard to tell if they are going "right". I'm not convinced that normal GPS can track well enough to really figure out your speed in 2 min (and especially shorter than that). But more than that, there is quite a lag with wrist HR monitors, so they never get up to the effort level you feel like you're doing in just 2 min. So, you just have to do the best you can. But it always bothers me, too.
So true. The main reason I didn't set my workout to 400m like my schedule said was because I wasn't at all confident my watch would measure it accurately if it was that short. And then sometimes your watch just randomly decides you don't have a HR for half of your run and then you don't have any data regardless 🙄

April 10 - 16, 2023
Spring training week 11 of 16 | 35 days until Capitol Hill Classic

In which I should not make plans on Sundays

Monday
Planned: 5 miles @ EA
Completed: 5.73 miles @ 10:14
Total: 58:40, 151 bpm

Enjoyed the lovely lunchtime weather! Sunny, nice breeze, a little warm for anything hard but perfect for an easy run. Everything is greener by the day and it was a great run. Stopped at the library on the way back-ish to pick up a couple of books I had requested.

Tuesday
Planned: 5 miles @ EB + strides
Completed: 5.21 miles @10:05 w/ hill sprints
Total: 52:35,
155 bpm
Plus:
core

I registered for the half - yay! Then I went out for my run. I was a bit faster than I intended which I am attributing to leftover adrenaline from registration 🤣

Instead of normal strides, I ended up doing two slightly longer efforts uphill, so I'm going with "hill sprints" rather than "strides" here.

Wednesday
Planned: 20 min easy + 15 min steady + 10 min faster + 5 min fast + 20 min easy (blind)
Completed: 19:39 @ 10:45 + 15:00 @ 8:27 + 10:00 @ 7:58 + 5:00 @ 7:36 + 17:45 @ 10:23
GAP: 8:10, 7:47, 7:37
Total: 1:08:48, 7.24 miles, 168 bpm
Plus: lower body strength
focus with quick upper body strength

I read somewhere that running with a handheld messes with your arm swing, and since I didn't want to mess with my arm swing I decided to try going back to my hydration belt. I had used it for a while in a previous running life but had issues with it riding up more recently. It had worked fine in the past, though, and I figured, how bad could it be.

Bad. A handheld might mess up your arm swing a little, but you know what messes it up a lot? Having to stop your normal arm motion to push your hydration belt back down every three seconds. Plus one of the bottles leapt from its holder mid-stride. Twice. Never again.

So anyway, this run felt quite difficult, but I don't know if it was actually difficult or if dealing with the stupid piece of crap belt was just mentally exhausting. It was really tough not knowing how long I had left in the last interval but really wanting to be done. Hopefully next time when I'm NOT using the belt from hell, it will feel a little easier.

Oh, and the times being off in the WU and CD? I forgot to account for not being able to pause my watch at lights. Strava will take the time out, but my Apple Watch keeps going if I'm doing a custom workout, so Apple Watch had the WU time as 20 min but if you took out waiting at lights it was a little shorter. And on the way back, I also forgot that I would be covering more ground in the second half of the run than the first half, so I should have turned around a little later. Oh well, no big deal.

In my quest to hit both upper and lower body twice a week without adding any more strength days, I did a quick round of upper body strength after my main lower body routine. Also I did it during a boring meeting so no video. I did:

3x10 each, alternating:

Deadlifts
Squats

Reverse lunges (10 per side)
Sumo squats

Single leg deadlifts (2 sets per side)
Calf raises

Clean and press (2 sets per side)
Bridge

1x12 each:
Chest press
Wide row
Overhead press
Dumbbell pullover
Tricep kickback
Bicep curl
Pushup (x15)

Thursday
Planned: rest
Completed: rest

I did a short yoga video. Every time I do yoga, I say to myself, "I should do more yoga." But there is only so much time.

Friday
Planned: 5 miles easy
Completed: 5.01 miles @ 10:25
Total: 52:11, 158 bpm
Plus:
Pilates

When I went out, I said I was going to keep this run extra easy. And then I did not. (10:25 actual pace is 9:53 GAP here.) Oops. I blame the hill. I have a great Strava graph of the big jump in actual pace when I turned around vs. the fairly steady GAP, but the DIS won't let me add it. So you will just have to imagine it.

Saturday
Planned: 7 miles easy + strides
Completed: 7.35 miles @ 10:17 w/ strides
Total: 1:15:44, 150 bpm
Plus:
upper body strength

It looks faster, but this was actually easier than Friday's run. It was a little more humid but generally pleasant with a surprising (based on the forecast) lack of rain. Lots of people out enjoying the trail.

I decided that rather than trying to do upper and lower body strength after my long run, I could still do upper body on Saturday (because it wouldn't have an impact on the long run) and save the short lower body strength for Sunday. (This did not happen, but we'll get there.) Unfortunately my dog decided he really needed to go out right after I started the strength, but it was fine.

Sunday
Planned: 10 miles @ LR + 2 miles @ MP (8:38)
Completed: 9.04 miles @ 9:56 + 2.98 miles @ 8:39
Total: 12.03 miles, 1:55:39, 159 bpm
Plus: 6.5 miles of biking

I apparently didn't remember what I was supposed to be doing today, because I thought I had 9 miles @ LR + 3 miles @ MP, but it turns out I was making things harder than they should have been. Oh well. It was still fine, if a little hot with limited shade by the end. I probably should have brought some electrolytes along with my GUs - I meant to, but I forgot to add a drink tablet to my water before I left.

After I got home, I just had time for a quick shower before taking my dog out and then heading across town to meet a friend of mine - no time for even a quick strength workout. So I biked there, then we walked around with her dog, then we wandered through the market and got lunch, and then I biked back. And after all that, plus walking my dog again when I got home, I had zero energy left for strength training. I decided to skip it for this week. I will give this new structure another try next week.

ETA my phone gives me a total of 29 miles of running/walking/biking for today. That's a lot!

Total
Distance: 42.59 miles
Running time: 7h 3m
Strength time: 1h 2m
Core/Pilates time: 20m
Yoga time: 23m
Biking time: 41m
Total time: 9h 30m

Yeesh, no wonder I'm tired. I will try to take it easy next week.

Coming up
Take two of the blind progression, plus a 10K workout.

Since there's a lot of text and no pictures, here's one of my dog zonked out on the couch while I do yoga:
demon snoozles.jpg

Last edited:
Building a training plan, part 1: What am I thinking??
In which I am more ambitious than is probably wise

55157deb762c88e8979fe0c515e68802cceaa45f0f35707af310059bae831ecd.jpg

ID: The "clean all the things" meme from Hyperbole and a Half, but with "do all the things" instead.

We are in for an afternoon of pouring rain and thunderstorms here in Washington, DC, and I have already run, done my strength training, cleaned the kitchen, and vacuumed. So it seems like as good a time as any to actually start writing down this series I've been thinking about. There will be many words during this series; I apologize. I will include photos of the most handsomest boy throughout to make up for it. I took a picture of him this morning while we were waiting at a light because he was just too cute:

avocado.jpg
ID: A Rottweiler wearing an avocado bow tie and a harness, sitting on the sidewalk and panting. It was a long-ish walk.

Okay, I realize I have not yet actually explained what it is that I am doing right now, other than posting memes and dog pictures (honestly worthwhile on its own but not currently the point). Even though I am still four weeks away from my next goal race, I am already thinking about the next thing, i.e. the Marine Corps Marathon in October, as one does. And although there are many perfectly fine training plans out there, or I could even get a great personalized schedule from @DopeyBadger again, I have decided that what I really want to do is put together my own training plan.

When you consider that I only started following a training plan less than a year ago, that sounds slightly crazy! However, I have spent a lot of time (too much time) learning and thinking about the ideas behind training for a race, especially a marathon, and I kind of want to take this opportunity to put those ideas into concrete form by way of a plan. Otherwise how will I know what I know?

The other thing you might be wondering is, "Why write about it here?" First because it's another way to synthesize everything I've been learning. I have read a lot, listened to a lot of podcasts, and watched a lot of YouTube, but I'm not sure you can really say you've learned something until you can explain it. So here I am, explaining it.

Second, it's a good place to get feedback and ask questions as I'm going through this process. Lots of you know a lot more than I do about running and training, and I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Books and podcasts are all very well, but sometimes it's more helpful to talk about what these principles look like in real life than to read about them, especially in books that are often directed mainly towards elite and sub-elite runners (which I am not).

Third, maybe someone else is thinking about these ideas too and wants to learn more about how training plans work. I am here to serve as a case study which hopefully does not end in disaster!

Finally, I hope I'll be able to look back at these posts in a few years and have thoughts about them. I don't know whether they'll be good thoughts or bad thoughts, but I guess it depends how it turns out!

Things you can look forward to in this series may or may not include, but are not limited to:
  • Sources: the books, podcasts, videos, articles, etc. I've found that I think are worth checking out
  • Principles: the basic ideas I've adopted for my plan (which to be clear I have not written yet)
  • Kate's not-so-informed step-by-step guide to putting together a plan
  • Thoughts about nutrition, hydration, and all that other stuff
  • Mental planning and training
  • Looking back (at least) twice: once when I'm finished writing the plan and incorporating feedback, and once after I actually use it
As I have mentioned, I welcome any and all questions, suggestions, commentary, jokes, tangents, advice, and so on and so forth. Posts will occur on a schedule known only after the fact. And yes, that was a lot of words, so here is another dog picture:

post-bath ostrich.jpg
ID: A slightly damp Rottweiler gnawing on an ostrich bone, a recent discovery that he absolutely loves.

Thanks for following along!

Building a training plan, part 1: What am I thinking??
In which I am more ambitious than is probably wise

55157deb762c88e8979fe0c515e68802cceaa45f0f35707af310059bae831ecd.jpg

ID: The "clean all the things" meme from Hyperbole and a Half, but with "do all the things" instead.

We are in for an afternoon of pouring rain and thunderstorms here in Washington, DC, and I have already run, done my strength training, cleaned the kitchen, and vacuumed. So it seems like as good a time as any to actually start writing down this series I've been thinking about. There will be many words during this series; I apologize. I will include photos of the most handsomest boy throughout to make up for it. I took a picture of him this morning while we were waiting at a light because he was just too cute:

View attachment 755263
ID: A Rottweiler wearing an avocado bow tie and a harness, sitting on the sidewalk and panting. It was a long-ish walk.

Okay, I realize I have not yet actually explained what it is that I am doing right now, other than posting memes and dog pictures (honestly worthwhile on its own but not currently the point). Even though I am still four weeks away from my next goal race, I am already thinking about the next thing, i.e. the Marine Corps Marathon in October, as one does. And although there are many perfectly fine training plans out there, or I could even get a great personalized schedule from @DopeyBadger again, I have decided that what I really want to do is put together my own training plan.

When you consider that I only started following a training plan less than a year ago, that sounds slightly crazy! However, I have spent a lot of time (too much time) learning and thinking about the ideas behind training for a race, especially a marathon, and I kind of want to take this opportunity to put those ideas into concrete form by way of a plan. Otherwise how will I know what I know?

The other thing you might be wondering is, "Why write about it here?" First because it's another way to synthesize everything I've been learning. I have read a lot, listened to a lot of podcasts, and watched a lot of YouTube, but I'm not sure you can really say you've learned something until you can explain it. So here I am, explaining it.

Second, it's a good place to get feedback and ask questions as I'm going through this process. Lots of you know a lot more than I do about running and training, and I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Books and podcasts are all very well, but sometimes it's more helpful to talk about what these principles look like in real life than to read about them, especially in books that are often directed mainly towards elite and sub-elite runners (which I am not).

Third, maybe someone else is thinking about these ideas too and wants to learn more about how training plans work. I am here to serve as a case study which hopefully does not end in disaster!

Finally, I hope I'll be able to look back at these posts in a few years and have thoughts about them. I don't know whether they'll be good thoughts or bad thoughts, but I guess it depends how it turns out!

Things you can look forward to in this series may or may not include, but are not limited to:
  • Sources: the books, podcasts, videos, articles, etc. I've found that I think are worth checking out
  • Principles: the basic ideas I've adopted for my plan (which to be clear I have not written yet)
  • Kate's not-so-informed step-by-step guide to putting together a plan
  • Thoughts about nutrition, hydration, and all that other stuff
  • Mental planning and training
  • Looking back (at least) twice: once when I'm finished writing the plan and incorporating feedback, and once after I actually use it
As I have mentioned, I welcome any and all questions, suggestions, commentary, jokes, tangents, advice, and so on and so forth. Posts will occur on a schedule known only after the fact. And yes, that was a lot of words, so here is another dog picture:

View attachment 755286
ID: A slightly damp Rottweiler gnawing on an ostrich bone, a recent discovery that he absolutely loves.

Thanks for following along!

I've trained for MCM before while living in the DC area. It means a lot of runs in DC summer weather. My biggest (unsolicited) advice to you is to plan your runs by time and effort (i.e., 60 min at easy effort) rather than distance and pace. You're going to need to slow down so much in the heat and humidity just so that you don't die. If your training runs turn into race-level efforts because you're trying to hit a certain pace that makes your effort level too high, you'll sabotage your training.

But you do like much warmer weather than me, so hopefully it will go well for you. MCM is quite an experience! Definitely worth doing.

I've trained for MCM before while living in the DC area. It means a lot of runs in DC summer weather. My biggest (unsolicited) advice to you is to plan your runs by time and effort (i.e., 60 min at easy effort) rather than distance and pace. You're going to need to slow down so much in the heat and humidity just so that you don't die. If your training runs turn into race-level efforts because you're trying to hit a certain pace that makes your effort level too high, you'll sabotage your training.
That's a great point - running in DC summers gets to be a little much even for me. (Still better than winter though! 😂)

I’m excited to follow along. I’m 90% sure I’m going to spend time this summer “base building." Recently, I’ve spent a lot of time just trying to figure out what that means. Next will be how to actually do it 😆.

Hopefully we can learn a bit from each other on this journey!

I’m excited to follow along. I’m 90% sure I’m going to spend time this summer “base building." Recently, I’ve spent a lot of time just trying to figure out what that means. Next will be how to actually do it 😆.
Lol I feel like base building means something slightly different to everyone you ask. I'm definitely interested to see what it looks like for you!

April 17 - 23, 2023
Spring training week 12 of 16 | 28 days until Capitol Hill Classic

In which we return to our regularly scheduled programming

Monday
Completed: 5.07 miles @ 11:03
Total: 56:09

When I added everything up, between walking, running, and biking I covered almost 30 miles on Sunday. So I was not surprised to feel a little worn-out still on Monday. My run felt pretty blah for about 3.5 miles, at which point I finally started to feel better.

Tuesday
Planned: 5 miles easy + strides
Completed: 5.07 miles @ 10:35 w/ 6 strides
Total: 53:45, 143 bpm
Plus:
core

I ran the same route as last Friday that was faster than I planned, but I did a better job of keeping it easy this time. And it felt much better than Monday. I listened to a Together Run (from the Running for Real podcast) and actually did the strides as instructed, so for once I know how many I did (six). The core workout was a new one and harder than I expected, but in a good way.

Wednesday
Planned: rest
Completed: rest

Normally Wednesday would be my workout, but I had a fun, fun wine dinner on Tuesday evening and knew I would be feeling a bit sluggish (accurate). So I swapped Wednesday and Thursday. I did do a yoga routine in the evening which was more work than I was expecting.

Thursday
Planned: 15 min WU + 20 min steady + 15 min faster + 5 min fast + 15 min CD (blind)
Completed: 15 min WU (10:28) + 20 min steady (8:39) + 15 min faster (8:10) + 5 min fast (7:42) + 15:40 min CD (10:41)
GAP: 8:29, 8:03, 7:42
Total: 1:12:11, 7.7 miles, 164 bpm
Plus:
lower body and mini upper body strength

This workout did feel easier than the hydration belt fiasco last week, but I was also a bit slower on each interval. That's probably not the worst thing, though.

Friday
Completed: 5.28 miles @ 10:41
Total: 56:28

I took the day off from work for no particular reason, and it was nice to be a little more leisurely about getting out the door than I would normally be on a weekday. My glutes were a bit sore from Thursday's workout/strength, so I took it easy.

Saturday
Planned: 5 miles easy + strides
Completed: 5.16 miles w/ strides
Total: 54:12, 151 bpm
Plus:
upper body strength

I was a bit stiff when I started, but overall it was a good run.

Sunday
Planned: 1.5 mile WU + 6 x 1 mile @ 10KP (7:55)/3.5 min RI + 1.5 mile CD
Completed: 1.5 mile WU + 6 x 1 mile @ 10KP/3.5 min RI + 1.5 mile CD
Interval splits: 7:59, 7:39, 7:42, 7:40, 7:30, 7:26
GAP: 7:47, 7:34, 7:33, 7:42, 7:28, 7:25
Total: 1:38:29, 11.05 miles
Plus:
mini lower body strength

This was a challenge, but I enjoyed it. I really prefer longer intervals like mile repeats to 400s - it's just easier to settle in and keep going. And 3.5 minutes was plenty of time to recover between intervals. I remembered my electrolytes this time and had GUs during the second and fourth recovery intervals.

Beach Drive.jpg
ID: Tall trees with bright green leaves lining either side of a (momentarily) empty road on today's route.

I'm really starting to see, and feel, the wear on my Hokas, so I decided to try my as-yet-unworn Endorphin Speed 3s on this run. Wearing new shoes for an 11-mile workout might not have been my wisest idea, but in this case it worked out fine. They didn't have the same propulsion as the Pro 3s, but they were comfortable, and I want to save that extra oomph for race day anyway.

I also got a new hydration pack, a Salomon something something, that I tried last Sunday as well but forgot to mention then. Overall it's fairly comfortable and has a bunch of pockets, which I like, but there are a couple of annoying things about it. For one, it has a bunch of little dangling bits that I feel like should connect with each other but I can't figure out how, so they end up just bouncing around the whole time. More significantly, it came with two soft flasks that fit in the front pockets, and the flasks have straws that are just way too long. Like, I am not short, and they still smack me in the chin every step. I ended up tucking the straws into the pockets with the flasks and just pulling them up to drink; it works reasonably well as a fix, but I can't understand why they designed the vest with such a significant flaw.

After walking the dog and eating lunch, I managed to do a short lower body strength workout like I planned. I did skip the jump squats at the end, though - I decided I'd had plenty of workout for one day! 😂

Totals
Mileage: 39.35 miles
Running time: 6h 31m
Strength time: 1h 11m
Core time: 15m
Yoga time: 21m
Total time: 8h 19m

Coming up
The highest-mileage week of this plan. I might go over and scout out the 10K course on one of my runs so I can see about hills or anything like that.

I'll be right there with you guys. The thing that confuses me is you have to pull back from peak before starting a new cycle, but base-building suggests you're building back up to a higher high so it's not actually a pull back?

I'm sure whatever happens, I'll end up injured and burnt out.

I might go over and scout out the 10K course on one of my runs so I can see about hills or anything like that.

It's not bad at all! East Cap is a straight shot. There's a slight incline around RFK on East Cap, and there may be a steep hill when going around RFK proper, but that will depend on how exactly it's routed. The course looks just a little different in that part than it was last year, which makes sense given the construction.

I may be getting roped into this race by some friends. I'll let you know so we can schedule a not-meetup pre-race meetup.

It's not bad at all! East Cap is a straight shot. There's a slight incline around RFK on East Cap, and there may be a steep hill when going around RFK proper, but that will depend on how exactly it's routed. The course looks just a little different in that part than it was last year, which makes sense given the construction.
Good to know!

I may be getting roped into this race by some friends. I'll let you know so we can schedule a not-meetup pre-race meetup.
Haha sounds good 🤣

I also got a new hydration pack, a Salomon something something, that I tried last Sunday as well but forgot to mention then. Overall it's fairly comfortable and has a bunch of pockets, which I like, but there are a couple of annoying things about it. For one, it has a bunch of little dangling bits that I feel like should connect with each other but I can't figure out how, so they end up just bouncing around the whole time. More significantly, it came with two soft flasks that fit in the front pockets, and the flasks have straws that are just way too long. Like, I am not short, and they still smack me in the chin every step. I ended up tucking the straws into the pockets with the flasks and just pulling them up to drink; it works reasonably well as a fix, but I can't understand why they designed the vest with such a significant flaw.

I have a Salomon Advanced Skin 8 hydration vest that I got a couple years ago. I love it. I used it for the trail marathon that I just did. But it does take some figuring out.

All of the "little dangling bits" are little cords and hooks to attach things. Like what? Well, I have a hydration reservoir that goes on my back with my vest, and I use some of the cords to tack down the long drinking tube that goes over my right shoulder and down my chest. Currently, I don't think I use them specifically for much else. Since I have collapsible hiking poles that I may eventually trail run with, I checked it out, and I could in principle hook the folded-up poles to my vest with some of those cords.

My vest also has two soft flasks. I agree that the straws are too long. I think they are supposed to come apart somehow so that you can cut the straws to the desired length, but I really don't see how that could be done. I'm not sure if your vest has this, but my vest has three vertical "holders" high on the chest on both sides - they sort of look like you could put fat pencils through them. At any rate, I thread the straw through the outermost one, which helps keep it away from my face. Also, I've found that once I drink some of the water, I can push the flask farther down into the pocket and it lowers the straw enough to keep it from poking my chin.

Building a training plan, part 2: Straight from the source
In which I read fast and listen to podcasts at 1.5 speed

Part 1: What am I thinking??

In the past year or so, i.e. since I started actually training for races, I have consumed a slightly embarrassing amount of media related to running. Some of it is better than others. Before I start talking about the actual principles I've put together, I thought I'd list where (besides the DISboards obviously) those ideas come from.

📖 Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas. Despite the slightly intimidating title (I do not feel qualified for advanced marathoning), I actually think this is a pretty good introduction to marathon training specifically. The plans are unfortunately somewhat impractical, though, with frequent double-digit weekday runs. And you can tell a plan isn't meant for you when it prescribes a 7-mile lactate threshold run and your lactate threshold pace is like 8 min/mile.

📖 Daniels' Running Formula by Jack Daniels. There are a lot of good ideas about running and training here, but I would not start with this book. It gets technical at times and is again obviously geared toward people who are already pretty fast. However, it does have tips for everything from 800s on up to marathons.

91W6y0NR4uL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

📖 Run Like a Pro (Even If You're Slow) by Matt Fitzgerald. This was an interesting look at the lives of pro endurance runners, and I used and mostly liked the level 1 plan for the WDW marathon. Some of the principles of elite training are helpful, like the variety of workouts, the focus on mileage and time on your feet, and the balance of easy and hard efforts. I do think he's a little ambitious in applying elite principles to regular runners, though, as anything above the level 1 plans is seven days a week of running which doesn't seem like a great idea for most of us recreational athletes.

📖 Hansons Marathon Method by Luke Humphrey. This book is another good introduction to marathon training with the somewhat unusual take that most people should cap their long runs at 16 miles. Having read the book, I'm not necessarily tied to 16 miles specifically, but I don't plan to include any 20-milers in my schedule. (I didn't for my first marathon either.) I considered just using the Hansons beginner plan for MCM, but I would have had to adapt it anyway since the first 5 weeks are pretty low mileage by my current standards before it suddenly makes a big jump. Plus the workouts seemed kind of repetitive and there were other principles I wanted to try out.

📖 80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald. This book was fine, but I feel like it was mostly justifying the 80/20 principle which I already bought into so not necessarily the best use of time and attention. One thing that frustrated me was that in 252 pages, he never expressly states what 80 and 20 are percentages of. Time? Distance? Number of workouts? That really seems like a massive oversight. In any case I have concluded that time is the most relevant aspect to measure, but nowhere in the book does it actually say that.

913jPYIDb6L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

📖 Master the Marathon by Ali Nolan. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book for the actual running advice - some of it seemed a little off even in my limited experience - but I did like the mental training tips, which were a bigger focus of the book than in any other I've read. She purports to be writing for an audience of women, but there's actually not much in the book that wouldn't apply to anyone.

📖 Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide by Hal Higdon. This is a good book for people new to marathons/half marathons. If you already know the basics, it's probably not all that helpful, although the encouragement and positive approach can be nice. I did use his Novice 2 plan for my HM last year, but knowing what I know now, I don't think it's all that great - not enough variation in paces, not clear on WU/CD, and overly weighted towards the long run.

📖 ROAR by Stacy Sims. More helpful for nutrition and hydration than for running as she talks through several endurance sports.

🎧 Marathon Training Academy. The hosts, Angie and Trevor, are a married couple with entertainingly different approaches to running. Their guests have included experts, coaches from their team, elite marathoners, and average runners.

🎧 Running Rogue. I really like this one for training principles and ideas. The host, Chris McClung, is a running coach and does deep dives into various training tips. He really emphasizes keeping your easy runs easy and being thoughtful about your training in general, and I appreciate his low-key affect and clear presentation of ideas.

🎧 Run to the Top. This one features coaches from the Runners Connect site and sometimes guests, with a range of formats, lengths, and topics. Because of the variety, I find that some episodes are helpful and some aren't, and sometimes they say things that make me go 🤨. So I wouldn't recommend it for an introduction, but it can be good as long as you can distinguish what's useful from what's not.

🎧 I also enjoy Running for Real, the Run Duo, and the Rise and Run podcast, but I feel like those are more lifestyle podcasts that happen to be about running than training podcasts, so I'm just mentioning them briefly.

📽️ The Running Channel. I generally find these videos to be fun, though they're not necessarily all that helpful when it comes to training. Sometimes they do share interesting workouts, though. They also have a podcast that I like.

📽️ The Run Testers. These are good for running-related product reviews, especially shoes.

📽️ Strength Running. Probably the most training-focused of the YouTube channels I follow. About 7 years of videos about running, strength training, and so on.

🖥️ McMillan's Six-Step Training System, McMillan Running. The most practically useful piece for actually constructing a training plan with a step-by-step process to follow. I don't think you could put together a good plan from just the information here, but it's been really helpful in terms of putting theoretical knowledge into an actual calendar.

📱@running.yana. Demonstrations of drills and mobility exercises.

📱@runtothefinish. Short infographics about training and racing.

📱@theplantedrunner. More training infographics, even for non-plant based folks.

📱@yellowrunner. Ultra runner and strength training evangelist. She's about to do a 250 mile race 😵

📱@immrsspacecadet. Not for training but fun!

Do you have any favorite resources that aren't included here?

Last edited:
You definitely hit my favorites - Advanced Marathoning, Daniels Running Formula, and Hansons Marathon Method. Everyone I've talked to who has successfully completed a Pfitzinger plan raves about it, but I think therein lies the rub - those plans are hard and they're designed to wear you out. The midweek long run is a commitment not everyone can do. I also think his plans are not geared for the 4ish-hour marathon and up runner, because using his paces at that marathon length make for some insanely long long runs. I'm a believer in what Daniels and Hanson say about capping the time of the long runs.

The bad thing about Daniels Running Formula is trying to piece together your own plan with the shells he includes in the book can be downright overwhelming, and it takes some time and math to piece it together. I haven't decided for sure, but I think I'm sticking with Daniels for the marathon because his concepts resonate really well for me and it's easy to make adjustments to the plan on the fly, whereas Pfitz seems much more rigid.

Agreed about Matt Fitzgerald. I've read both his books also, and there's no way 6-7 runs/week plans are practical for the average runner. The one time I tried one of his training plans, I finished completely exhausted and my race was a total bust. But I love his principles.

One thing that frustrated me was that in 252 pages, he never expressly states what 80 and 20 are percentages of. Time? Distance? Number of workouts? That really seems like a massive oversight. In any case I have concluded that time is the most relevant aspect to measure, but nowhere in the book does it actually say that.
I always thought it was time-based, since his training plans are time-based as well.

I did like the mental training tips, which were a bigger focus of the book than in any other I've read.
👍

I'm still looking for an introduction-level marathon training book that isn't Galloway...

📖 80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald. This book was fine, but I feel like it was mostly justifying the 80/20 principle which I already bought into so not necessarily the best use of time and attention. One thing that frustrated me was that in 252 pages, he never expressly states what 80 and 20 are percentages of. Time? Distance? Number of workouts? That really seems like a massive oversight. In any case I have concluded that time is the most relevant aspect to measure, but nowhere in the book does it actually say that.

Check out the original paper by Stephen Seiler (link). I have not watched this youtube video of him explaining it, but I'd venture to guess it would break down these concepts of his.

but I did like the mental training tips, which were a bigger focus of the book than in any other I've read.

Check out some papers or videos from Samuele Marcora. I find his Psychobiological Model of Endurance theory to be a good fit for my preconceived ideas about performance. Here's a long and recent Youtube video (I haven't watched this either, but I have read several of Marcora's papers.).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter