You HAVE to try this!! EBAY your way to DISNEY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all have converted me!
Thank you for the clear explanations on how to get started!

I just ordered a pile of different size priority mail boxes from the usps site, since that seems the easiest way to ship till I get the hang of this.

Are there any boxes which are more popular than others?

Are there instructions anywhere about scheduling a pickup?

I saw "express mail" tape on the usps site -- is there any special tape or labels for priority mail?

I use Priority mail all the time for work. You can use any labels but they do have labels at the PO that say priority mail on them. You can also use any packing tape, doesn't have to have priority mail or anything like that on it.

I just came back from the post office - where I mailed several packages to ebay customers.. While I was gone, one of my auctions closed with a GOOD final selling price.. I still have 17 auctions running that will end on various days and I have bids on 10 of the 17 items.. Oh - and did I mention the 4 money orders that were sitting in my mailbox when I got home?????:teeth:

This ebay selling is worse than being on heroin!! I swear - I'll never get off of it! LOL

Congrats to all who have gotten started.. So glad that this thread has served as an inspiration..

Gotta go list more stuff now!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Yes, you can order Priority tape on line for free (I prefer it since it's free) to use on your Priority packages. Also, you can print out your label on line (https://sss-web.usps.com/ds/jsps/systemReqs.jsp) , and then your delivery confirmation is free. Of course you can't use all Priority shipping supplies, since sometimes you'll want to mail first class when it's a savings to your buyers.

Originally posted by robinb
C.Ann and others ...

You can print out Delivery Confirmation on your home PC at a discount. For Priority Mail it's free and only 13 cents for First Class and Media Mail (books, CDs, DVDs, videos). The regular price is 55 cents!

Just use the USPS Shipping Assistant found here:
http://www.uspswebtools.com/ShippingAssistant/sa_Splash.htm

-----------------

DMRick mentioned this too, but I'm confused.. First of all, do you have to open some kind of "account" and deposit X amount of dollars? And what do you print these delivery confirmations ON? The ones at the PO are sticky on one side (that goes on the box next to the buyers address) and then the other side is stamped, torn off and given to me as a receipt..

Could either of you supply more info on this? Would save me yet another step and would come in handy if I reach of my goal of having enough auctions running that I can have them closing every day of the week..

Thanks all! :)

You don't have to open an account, but you do have to register. It's not a program to print postage. It prints labels on regular printer paper and the lables created are in PDF format. One side is the label and the other is the Delivery Confirmation itself. I just tape the DC to the package.

Here's an example of one:
Example of Label

Originally posted by robinb
You don't have to open an account, but you do have to register. It's not a program to print postage. It prints labels on regular printer paper and the lables created are in PDF format. One side is the label and the other is the Delivery Confirmation itself. I just tape the DC to the package.

Here's an example of one:
Example of Label

-----------------

Okay - I'm totally "dense" here.. I looked at the label and I still don't understand.. If you only "register" then when does the "payment" part come in? And which part is your "receipt"? Do you tear that thing in half, or what?

I know - not too "bright" - LOL..

You print on regular paper (it says you need a laser..hogwash). It says don't use tape, because they might not be able to scan it..another hogwash). You really have to tape it if using an inkjet (especially an HP) . You pay for the first class one when you drop off at the post office (I believe it has to be 3/4 of an inch thick to use dc for first class..so toss a packing peanut in the envy to thicken it!). Or you can join the business part of the on line Post Office and pay on line with your credit card, and it'll print with postage. No good for most of my packages, since they are over the weight for dropping into a box..but I can still drop them off at the post office very easy, if I prepay the postage. The proof on the half that you keep (on the DC label you print), is good enough for Paypal. However, if I'm mailing something really pricey..I bring that half to the PO and they stamp it. Go to the site I sent you and print out a practice one..it's much easier to understand.

Originally posted by DMRick
You print on regular paper (it says you need a laser..hogwash). It says don't use tape, because they might not be able to scan it..another hogwash). You really have to tape it if using an inkjet (especially an HP) . You pay for the first class one when you drop off at the post office (I believe it has to be 3/4 of an inch thick to use dc for first class..so toss a packing peanut in the envy to thicken it!). Or you can join the business part of the on line Post Office and pay on line with your credit card, and it'll print with postage. No good for most of my packages, since they are over the weight for dropping into a box..but I can still drop them off at the post office very easy, if I prepay the postage. The proof on the half that you keep (on the DC label you print), is good enough for Paypal. However, if I'm mailing something really pricey..I bring that half to the PO and they stamp it. Go to the site I sent you and print out a practice one..it's much easier to understand.

--------------------------

You must be SOOOOOOO sick of me by now!! LOL ... Your help has been invaluable though and I will be forever grateful to you for all of your help (and putting up with my "not getting it") over the past year..

I just LOVE doing this and even though I'm not selling "big ticket" items yet I'm still making SO much more than I could in a back-breaking garage sale I'm just tickled pink! :)

I'll go try to "print" a label out - but don't be surprised if I "still don't get it".... LOL ...

Thanks so much for helping me - and everyone else here!!

I read somewhere that you can print Delivery Confirmations on-line at the USPS site for Priority Mail only. If you intend to send First Class or Media Mail you need to download the program and run it on your PC.

The example I posted was for a Priority Mail DC and the cost was $0.00 extra (aka free!). If it was a First Class or Media Mail DC the cost would be $0.13 extra over and above the postage for the item. I sell a lot of books on Amazon.com and ebay and I always pay for DC for orders over $5.00. Kind of an insurance so the customer can't say they didn't get an item when they did.

I bring all my packages to the post office. I almost never drop them in a box even if they are light enough. Why? (1) I get a receipt with the date, zip code and DC number on it, (2) I can use my credit card which is my Visa logo ATM card for my "Mouse Money"/ebay/Amazon account and (3) The postage strip has all the zip code routing information included in the bar code so it gets to where it is going faster :).

One more thing about the e-Delivery Confirmation. The postal employees at my local PO were confused by it. They didn't know how to process it, so we figured it out together. They need to weigh the package, add Delivery Confirmation to the postage (it'll show up as $0.55) and then they have to swipe the DC bar code. The register will automatically change the DC cost from $0.55 to $0.00 or $0.13. The postage strip will then include the postage plus the e-DC.

It can be kind of a pain sometimes to type in address. I am much better at it now. I use the import funtion on the address book section of the program to enter addresses now. I also only keep the most current addresses used in the address book so I don't have to wade through too many addresses looking for the right one. If you need some help with importing addresses into the system (once you learn how to print by just typing in addresses) I'll be happy to help you. Just PM me or email me :D.

You must be SOOOOOOO sick of me by now!!

I'm not..and if you still "don't get it"..I'd say it's time to pay me a visit at home, and we'll go over it together LOL!
Doris

Whats the difference between priority mail, first class, and media mail? Is it the size of the package? I know that media mail is for books, movies, etc., but first class and priority mail confuse me:rolleyes: (which doesn't take much:) ).
I've been selling things on and off on E-Bay for a little while and just reciently decided that I wanted to do it more. Can I ask what you guys sell? Do you make things to sell and what do you make if you don't mind me asking? Most of the stuff I sell is stuff I've picked up at local auctions(we have a ton around here I'm going to two tomorrow) that I know is collectable and I can resell for a price higher then I paid. I was just curious as to what you guys sell. I would really like to make enough money on e-bay so I could pay for more frequent trips to see the mouse :D :) and to keep my husband from complaining about my need to buy more DVC points:rolleyes: :bounce: they are addicting like annual passes;) .
Thanks for the info this is such a great thread.

Originally posted by nelle
Whats the difference between priority mail, first class, and media mail? Is it the size of the package? I know that media mail is for books, movies, etc., but first class and priority mail confuse me:rolleyes: (which doesn't take much:) ).
I've been selling things on and off on E-Bay for a little while and just reciently decided that I wanted to do it more. Can I ask what you guys sell? Do you make things to sell and what do you make if you don't mind me asking? Most of the stuff I sell is stuff I've picked up at local auctions(we have a ton around here I'm going to two tomorrow) that I know is collectable and I can resell for a price higher then I paid. I was just curious as to what you guys sell. I would really like to make enough money on e-bay so I could pay for more frequent trips to see the mouse :D :) and to keep my husband from complaining about my need to buy more DVC points:rolleyes: :bounce: they are addicting like annual passes;) .
Thanks for the info this is such a great thread.

-----------------

I'll give this a shot - and if my info isn't totally correct, DMRick can step in and correct me because I haven't been at this ebay thing all that long myself..

Media mail is books, film, manuscripts, printed music, cassettes/CD's, video tapes, computer CD's, etc., that contain NO advertsing.. (Magazines would "bound matter" a different rate.) It goes strictly by weight - with no "zones" involved.. It's relatively cheap BUT you can only use it for those specific types of items.

First class is like an envelope, bubble envelope or something like that - and also goes by weight (and I think size too)..

Priority goes by weight AND zones (so you have to know WHERE it's going in order to charge the correct postage). It's supposed to be faster than Media Mail or Parcel Post..

Parcel Post also goes by weight and zone - but is sometimes considerably cheaper than Priority Mail..

---------------

I read a lot and pick up a lot of info on the Discussion Boards at the Community Site on eBay and I can tell you that many sellers are VERY reluctant to reveal "what" they sell - especially if they're doing quite well with it - probably for fear of competition.. But, I personally don't mind revealing what I sell because I figure people are either GOING to buy from me or NOT and that's all there is to it.. The very first thing I sold was an ink cartridge for a printer that I no longer have.. Didn't matter to me what I got for it because it was already in a box waiting to go to the Salvation Army anyhow.. I wanted to start with something small and easy to ship 'cause I was scared to death I was going to do this whole thing wrong.. I started the auction at $2 and it ended up selling for $17.50 plus shipping and handling.. Right then and there I was hooked!! The Salvation Army boxes have since been unloaded and the items are being listed on eBay as fast as I can get them on there.. LOL I've had very good success with videos and books and now I basically list anything that isn't nailed down.. I haven't listed any "big" ticket items yet because I'm still learning the ropes, but as long as I can make 10 times the amount on a small item that I would in a garge sale (like a paperback that would only bring in a quarter) I'm a happy little camper.. :) I've also noticed with some items it's better to list them in "lots" rather than individually.. Buyers don't tend to get "sticker shock" from the cost of S&H quite so easily if they're getting more than one item at a time.. I've sold some craft patterns and this week have some other craft stuff listed.. Some sellers prefer to "specialize" and deal with only one type of item - I just want to get 35 years worth of "junk" out of my house!! Of course to someone else, it's not "junk" - but to ME, it's "in my way" so it's junk.. LOL It will be a long, LONG time before I ever have to go "looking" for things to buy and resell.. That's not to say that I won't stumble across something if I happen to be at a garage sale and think, "Gee - I know I could get more for this on eBay" - but for now, I'm just trying to clear out the house..

All I can say is to list SOMETHING - anything - and sit back and see what happens.. If you find that you're happy with how the auction ends, you'll be running around the house grabbing things left and right to list - if you're not happy, then you'll know that eBay isn't for you.. There IS a certain degree of "work" to it - but I've made and sold handcrafts for many, many years and in my eyes, this eBay thing is a WHOLE lot easier!

Good luck - and let us know how it's going!!!! ;)

life.gif

C.Ann,

When I went to the Ebay page there is an option for ID verify if you don't want to list your checking account or credit card. What do you think of that option?

Also, I too have been a craft maker/seller for years. How do you think listing handcrafted gifts on Ebay will do?

And one more question: I have a cheap digital camera which I never use, but how easy is it to take the pictures, and then list them with what you are selling on Ebay? Can even a dunce learn?:teeth:
flowerface.gif

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

Cheap digital cmaera's are perfect for most eBay items..since the resolution of 72 is fine for eBay.
If you click on Sell on eBay's home site and take the tutorial, you'll see that it is really pretty easy.
Some handcrafted gifts do well on eBay..others don't..go to eBay and click on search..then click on advanced search, then click on completed items and look for the items you wish to sell, You'll see how they did.
It's only hard the first time..from then on, you'll feel like a pro!

Originally posted by cindala
life.gif

C.Ann,

When I went to the Ebay page there is an option for ID verify if you don't want to list your checking account or credit card. What do you think of that option?

Also, I too have been a craft maker/seller for years. How do you think listing handcrafted gifts on Ebay will do?

And one more question: I have a cheap digital camera which I never use, but how easy is it to take the pictures, and then list them with what you are selling on Ebay? Can even a dunce learn?:teeth:
flowerface.gif

----------------------

Hey - you're talking to the QUEEN of "dunce" here!! LOL

First things first though.. I can't remember too much about the ID verified thing because I DID provide that info (to the checking acct. I use only for eBay and on-line purchases).. Seems I remember reading on the eBay discussion boards that things will move along quicker for you if you DO provide the requested info, but i can't really say for sure.. Maybe someone else here would have more info on that..

As for selling your handcrafted items, I haven't tried it yet myself.. I think it would pretty much be just like anything else though - if your beginning price is fair and your S&H is fair, then I would assume there are people out there that would be interested in your items that maybe don't have time to run around to craft shows.. Why not pick one thing and give it a try?

Lastly - the digital camera thing had me absolutely beside myself in terms of "could I do it with my $30 camera" and it was an absolute BREEZE.. Obviously if you were selling fine jewelry or collectibles or something where a crystal clear photo is of importance, that would be a different story - but my cheapy camera works fine! I just take my photos, load them onto my computer, and then when I get to the page where you can insert a FREE picture, I just click on the square, a screen pops up for me to find the photo on my computer, I find the photo file, click that, and WHAM - the photo is THERE!! Can't believe I had myself so worked up over something SOOOOO simple.. LOL

Believe me - NO ONE had more self-doubt about being able to do this than I did and now I could KICK MYSELF ALL THE WAY TO DISNEY WORLD 'cause I didn't do it SOONER!!

Try it - you'll like it!;)

Hey DMRick - we seem to keep crossing posts here.. LOL

Do you know more about that ID verify thing than what I posted? I really can't remember all that much about it..

If I can figure it out, anyone can! I was so scared I would not be able to figure out how to accept Paypal payments, but I did that, too. I know some people do not like it because of the fees, but the way Ifigure it is this: I am getting rid of stuff that was just sitting around my house anyway, so anything is better than nothing.

In the past 3 weeks, I have made nearly $350, and cleared out some clutter!

I've got ten minutes left on one of my auctions right now.. I put an item up for $2.50 (which I would have been satisfied to get) and the high bid right now is $16.00 !!!!!!!

Gee - this is like playing the slot machines!!!!! LOL

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter