"You’re going to Disney AGAIN? By YOURSELF?"

Johnny_B

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone, long time lurker and new poster. I’m a 27 year old guy living in the DC metro area. I go to WDW about 3-4 times a year and DL once a year. About half of these trips are solo. I’ve heard the thread title so many times I’ve lost track. I stopped trying to explain to people why I love going long ago. I mean, if nothing else, it’s some time in sunny Florida, right? :goodvibes My next trip is Aug 19-24 when I take my mother for her birthday. At least I don’t have to worry about pesky questions since I’m going with someone else!

When I tell people I’m going I get a lot of varied replies. I think my favorite is when my coworker suggested I stop going to Disney for 1 year (fat chance) and save up and go to Paris for 2 weeks instead by myself. Because, I guess, going to Paris by yourself is less strange than going to Disney? :confused:

I think one common misconception about WDW is that it’s just MK. I’ve had friends and coworkers ask me how I can spend 4 days around “the castle.” When I tell them I go to other parks and spend time at the resort, I get a strange look. “What other parks?” “Disney has hotels?” Some people are vaguely familiar with Epcot (“the golf ball”) but are oblivious to everything else. Funny, it seems most people have a very static view of WDW: it is now what it was back in the 70’s – just MK and 2-3 hotels.

Like other here, I enjoy my solo trips. I like the freedom of doing what I want, when I want – I don’t have to worry if anyone else in my party has a park hopper, or if they will like the menu at a restaurant. Solo trips aren’t any better or worse than going with friends and family, it’s just a different experience.

I have no real reason for posting this other than to just say hello. Just trying to connect with other Disney fans since I can’t seem to find any in “real life!” :cool1:

i have people wanting to go with me every time. my comment on Paris I'm not going to Disney world I'm going to Disneyland Paris see what happens i have the Disney vacation club time share everyone ask why do i go to wdw when Disneyland is just a 90 min drive i tell them Disneyland is a day trip and Disney world is a vacation

H :goodvibes My next trip is Aug 19-24 when I take my mother for her birthday. At least I don’t have to worry about pesky questions since I’m going with someone else!

I have no real reason for posting this other than to just say hello. Just trying to connect with other Disney fans since I can’t seem to find any in “real life!” :cool1:

such a sweet gesture!!! You're mom must be so excited! those are the magical moments that you can never put a price tag on! Wish I can get my mom to go as often as I could... and BTW... hello :)

Disneyland is a day trip and Disney world is a vacation

totally!

Good for you! Enjoy your trips and ignore the haters. We go as a family, but we get the same reactions - why are you going there again? They just don't get it! Too bad for them :laughing:

Enjoy your trip with your mom! Hope you make lots of lasting memories.

When I tell people I’m going I get a lot of varied replies. I think my favorite is when my coworker suggested I stop going to Disney for 1 year (fat chance) and save up and go to Paris for 2 weeks instead by myself. Because, I guess, going to Paris by yourself is less strange than going to Disney? :confused:

:rotfl:

So true! I did a Eurotrip by myself for 5 weeks last year. I was able to hang out with a few friends sporadically, but it was basically a solo trip. Everyone I told about the trip said, "That's so cool!" But whenever I tell friends I'm going to WDW by myself they say, "Really? Why?" :p

Yes, she is very excited. She could never afford to go on her own, so I thought I should take her. This is actually the second time for us -- I took her for Christmas last year as her gift (3 nights at Boardwalk). She loved it, but it was too short! So now I figure a 5 night trip is what we really need :)

such a sweet gesture!!! You're mom must be so excited! those are the magical moments that you can never put a price tag on! Wish I can get my mom to go as often as I could... and BTW... hello :)

hey there I am 26 and I am traveling from texas all by my lonesome in early June. It is too bad you aren't going then other wise we could totally meet up. Keep in touch though it is great to find someone close to my age that does similar things. I think its awesome that you travel alone!

keep it up and keep in touch

Teresa

I get that all the time! "You're going to Disneyworld AGAIN? By YOURSELF?" And I'm married, and DH works with a lot of machos (maybe it's a South Texas thing) who are always incredulous-"You're going to LET your wife go on vacation to Disneyworld by herself!" I remember one time this woman asked me"What do you do at Disneyworld by yourself-ride Dumbo alone?" So I told her "Oh,yes-and I can't wait!" That's when she got this look on her face like "Move away from the crazy lady" and made a quick excuse to leave.

I get the same reaction from friends and co-workers. When they ask where am I going for vacation and I say "WDW", their response is always "AGAIN?!!!"

I have learned that people either get it or they don't.

I took my first solo trip to WDW in May 2009 for my birthday. I had an amazing time! Now that my children are getting older I see a lot more solo trips in my future!!! :yay:

Thanks everyone. Good to see I'm not alone! When someone tells me they would never want to go, or can't imagine going more than once, I just say: "good, shorter lines for me!"

It's a great feeling, those solo visits! Do what you want, when you want. I've made solo trips the last 2 Mays and this year picked up an AP so hope to pop up there for a couple of more visits throughout the year.

THis thread made me smile... welcome Johnny. Stand up and be proud of your soloism for Disney... I wish I could go 3-4 times a year alone. This year I only get to do twice alone, and once with DD in December.

I enjoy going with others and sharing Disney with my family and friends, but going alone is a whole other experience that just can't be explained or replacesd with any amount of weeks at Paris... boo for romantic foreign trips!
:rotfl:

I get that a lot too when i tell people I am going back to Disney World. My last solo trip was in October 2009, since then different friends have tagged along. I love doing to solo thing though, waking up when I want, doing what I want and not worrying about other people's fun. I live near Baltimore, so hello neighbor! :wave2: My next trip is scheduled for October 23 - 28, but I might be making a wuick trip over the summer for a fix and some good pictures. Depends on if I can get good airfare or not.

Hello everyone, long time lurker and new poster. I’m a 27 year old guy living in the DC metro area. I go to WDW about 3-4 times a year and DL once a year. About half of these trips are solo. I’ve heard the thread title so many times I’ve lost track. I stopped trying to explain to people why I love going long ago. I mean, if nothing else, it’s some time in sunny Florida, right? :goodvibes My next trip is Aug 19-24 when I take my mother for her birthday. At least I don’t have to worry about pesky questions since I’m going with someone else!

I think one common misconception about WDW is that it’s just MK. I’ve had friends and coworkers ask me how I can spend 4 days around “the castle.” When I tell them I go to other parks and spend time at the resort, I get a strange look. “What other parks?” “Disney has hotels?” Some people are vaguely familiar with Epcot (“the golf ball”) but are oblivious to everything else. Funny, it seems most people have a very static view of WDW: it is now what it was back in the 70’s – just MK and 2-3 hotels.

Like other here, I enjoy my solo trips. I like the freedom of doing what I want, when I want – I don’t have to worry if anyone else in my party has a park hopper, or if they will like the menu at a restaurant. Solo trips aren’t any better or worse than going with friends and family, it’s just a different experience.

Good for you my friend, good for you. I am proud of you for sticking to your roots :rotfl: people are just strange now our days. I have never been to the park alone, but would not hesitate to go alone but I happen to always find someone who is more than willing to go. Keep up the good work on your trips!

Tell them it's a super big resort. Instead of a Zipline, you have soaring, there's a safari, a haunted mansion filled with history, an enchanted castle, movies come alive, and you been done with Paris.

Hello! I have a friend who lives in Bmore so I visit every couple of months. I really like Bmore, despite the bad rap it gets here in DC (bc I guess DC is so much better?)

I live near Baltimore, so hello neighbor! :wave2:

Yeah, I think a lot of people have issues doing anything alone. I know people that won't even go for a walk by themselves! I have never been dependent on anyone for my own happiness, but it seems like a lot of people are. They find the idea of doing anything alone (going for a walk, out to eat, etc) scary. Nevermind a trip somewhere!

Good for you my friend, good for you. I am proud of you for sticking to your roots :rotfl: people are just strange now our days. I have never been to the park alone, but would not hesitate to go alone but I happen to always find someone who is more than willing to go. Keep up the good work on your trips!

Now that my DD is off to college in the fall I have my VERY FIRST SOLO TRIP PLANNED!!!!!! I will miss her like crazy, we travel to WDW very well together, but I am so excited to go solo!

When I told my co-workers I was heading to WDW by myself they thought I had officially gone crazy. There was a lot of "why don't you go somewhere different?" questions. Here's the thing folks, if I wanted to go somewhere different, I would go somewhere different!

I feel your pain, as do many others.
:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter