Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Three... C 32, P 39 - The End...Or Is It?

I love that you ran into that photographer who captured such a special moment for you! Would you consider sharing that photo or do you prefer not to post pictures of your peanut? Totally understandable if that's the case... I just thought I'd ask as it sounds really special and adorable. :goodvibes

I would really love to be a Disney CM. Can you imagine a job where you have the opportunity to have such an impact on people's lives and provide the kind of magic that Daniel did?? Wow!

You definitely made the right choice re: not making him see the characters if he wasn't into it. I love that it was the natural choice for you but there are SO many parents you see saying things like "hurry up and have fun" and "you WILL enjoy it"

Of course Goofy flirted with you! Dontcha love how the characters make you feel like a little kid again. I sure hope someone flirts w/ me in Oct! ;)

Not to mention how many CM positions there are, so what are the odds that you would run into someone again?

That's true!

I love that you ran into that photographer who captured such a special moment for you! Would you consider sharing that photo or do you prefer not to post pictures of your peanut? Totally understandable if that's the case... I just thought I'd ask as it sounds really special and adorable. :goodvibes

If I posted it, I'd probably block out DS' head, which sort of defeats the purpose of the shot. I'm so protective of his privacy. I mean, for me, I almost don't worry so much, but I just feel there are a lot of crazy people out there (hopefully not on the DIS, but then again, we are all mad here) and he's so little. I hope I'm making sense.:goodvibes

I would really love to be a Disney CM. Can you imagine a job where you have the opportunity to have such an impact on people's lives and provide the kind of magic that Daniel did?? Wow!

Honestly, I think he was thrilled that I remembered him, and that I told him that was my favorite picture of my son. Big hugs followed, it was just great.

You definitely made the right choice re: not making him see the characters if he wasn't into it. I love that it was the natural choice for you but there are SO many parents you see saying things like "hurry up and have fun" and "you WILL enjoy it"

I will admit, later in the trip, it was sort of kind of possible that I may have possibly uttered the following..."Well, I'm going to take him on rides whether he likes them or not, because I am going to have fun on this vacation.":eek: In my defense, they were rides I knew he'd like, he was just being a stinker! Perhaps I reveal too much. ;)

Of course Goofy flirted with you! Dontcha love how the characters make you feel like a little kid again. I sure hope someone flirts w/ me in Oct! ;)

I'm sure they will! :goodvibes

Oh Geez I can't take this suspense. I'm subsribing. Tell us more! :banana:

Welcome! Thanks for reading. And an update will be coming up, hopefully this evening.

Just a warning though.

When reviewing my notes, I see I wrote a LOT about this day. Therefore I expect it to be a few installments! :scared1: However, the boom is pretty much in the next one, for all of you on the edges of your seats. Stay tuned! :happytv:

I SWEAR, I am hanging on the edge of my SEAT!!! ;o) I can't wait for more, but at the same time, am nervously holding my breath about what is to come!!! ACK!!!

And I JUST have to say, you by NO means are a horrible or selfish mother!!! What you did, was EXACTLY what every conscientious Mommy would have done!! I don't know how much I have told you about Megan's situation, but I have QUITE the experience with dealing with meltdowns due to Megan's Sensory Integration Dysfunction. It is easy to feel at the time like a horrible parent, but in the loving way in which we deal with the meltdowns, our parenting "greatness" shines!!! Good Job Mom!!! ;o)

It's awesome that your recognized the photographer from last year and that you got to thank him.

I'm glad you stayed in the line and got pics taken!

And I JUST have to say, you by NO means are a horrible or selfish mother!!! What you did, was EXACTLY what every conscientious Mommy would have done!!

Oh, thank you. It's nice to have an affirmatiom from some other moms, it really is.

I don't know how much I have told you about Megan's situation, but I have QUITE the experience with dealing with meltdowns due to Megan's Sensory Integration Dysfunction. It is easy to feel at the time like a horrible parent, but in the loving way in which we deal with the meltdowns, our parenting "greatness" shines!!! Good Job Mom!!! ;o)

I'm not sure I really know what that is. If you feel like talking about it, I'd like to hear more on the Lapuette thread.

I'm glad you stayed in the line and got pics taken!

I really had a great time doing it, too.

I don't know why none of the LapuLapuettes let me know you had started your TR but I'm all caught up now. I'll comment as we go forward!

I don't know why none of the LapuLapuettes let me know you had started your TR but I'm all caught up now. I'll comment as we go forward!

What a faux pas on our parts!!! :lmao: I thought maybe you were busy. :confused3 Now I'll know better! :goodvibes

I just figured you hadn't started yet with being sick and then going back to work.

Oh, TK... master of the cliffhanger... I'm afraid of what the 'boom' might be and it has my motherly instincts in cringe mode!

(Can't wait for next installment. Stop talking to your DH and mothering your child so I can get my fix. GEEZ WOMAN. Priorities.)

So when I got outside, DS was having a full on meltdown. And we couldn't even tell over what. I asked DH, and he didn't know. We couldn't even understand him, that's how bad it was. Oh boy. Being that it was close to 11, we though to try and throw some food his way. Maybe he was hungry, who could say?

We headed over to The Land, knowing we'd at least have some selection. So DH runs interference (keeps DS away from the bakery case and candy) and I go to select the food. And it's not like what I picked was exactly healthy, folks. But for some reason, practically everything today was going to be a struggle.:headache:

I got the boy French Toast. And getting him to eat it, even loaded with syrup, was no mean feat. He finished one slice, had some bacon, and was done. I know that little booger was holding out for something "better." Well, he wasn't getting it. French Toast is a nice junky breakfast as far as I'm concerned. But then the couple next to us sat down with a huge slice of cake. He saw it, and wanted cake. Or a doughnut, or other crap. Yes, I used the word crap. That's how mad this made me. I was starting to lose it and it was showing. I honestly don't remember what I was saying other than "this is ridiculous."

I was having a moment. A long one. And silently cursing my parents who spoil the crap out of him, and feed him all kinds of junk. All I could think of was when they took him to the zoo recently and got him a bag of Cheetos for lunch. And then McDonald's on the way home. Now I'm not opposed to either of those things, persay, but their overindulgence has caused me to have to be the polar opposite in our home. Meaning that there is no junk here. Maybe a box of Fruit Loops if you're lucky. That's. It. Which of course, results in a huge consistency issue, meaning at my parent's he gets to have fun crap, and at home, no.

And in that moment, I remembered how much I want to be home with him. How even though my parents love him, and I'm so grateful for all they do for him, and us, that they do not always do what's best on the nutrition forefront, which totally leads to other behavioral issues.

In short, the real world was creeping in. Into my Disney bubble. Now I didn't expect everything to be perfect on vacation, but I certainly wasn't anticipating massive parenting struggles, especially all in one day. I felt awful. I was wearing down. We "finished" breakfast, i.e., DH and I ate, and then somehow after a bit of walking around, we got or DS became interested in the environmental fable with Timon, Pumba, and Simba.

I immediately thought of Jiri. And what I was in store for. But I was truly intrigued. Because this was something we'd never done before, and would be new to the three of us, so I was game. DS seemed like he was calming down, and happy for what we were about to do. And then, as we were waiting, he uttered words that made me jump into action.

"Mama, I need to poop.":scared1:

Well did we ever book it to the nearest restroom, which was so near, but over by the Garden Grill. He was very concerned that we would miss the show, but we did our business and made it back in time. And he enjoyed it! Phew. Can I breathe yet?:confused3

So next we coaxed him over to Nemo, where he loved the seagulls. "Mine, mine, mine." Now, we have a little Spiderman action figure, actually he's more like a Lego type figure, but biggger. So, DS was "showing" Spiderman the seagulls. Hmm...this could work to our advantage. In all fairness, I believe it was my husband's idea to show Spiderman things. I knew I married him for a reason, this concept became a godsend.

So now, we were going to show Spiderman the Nemo ride, and the queue is very dark. At which point, DS starts saying, "Don't be scared Spiderman...don't be shy, Spiderman." Well if that's not an insight into a three year old's world, I don't know what is. So we told Spiderman there was no reason to be scared, and pointed out some neat things along the way. The ride went well, and I got my first glimpse of DS' amazed face. The face that he would use for almost every single ride, a face so filled with awe and wonder I wish I could capture it, bottle it, and keep it with me forever. Half the time on rides or at shows, I would watch him instead of the ride. Because that face is priceless, friends, and it doesn't last forever.

Afterwards we checked out the aquarium for a bit, which was fun.

And then it happened.

As we were leaving.

BOOM!!!!​

DS discovered the dump shop. And the huge display of candy. And when told he couldn't have any, he had a bloody fit! I would like to point out to all of you that this is so not my son. This is the boy who went with me to the Dollar Tree yesterday and was told he could pick one toy. He tried to pick up candy, and when I told him no, he put it back. No fighting, whining, fussing, just listened to me and put it back.

Who was this wailing three year old pitching a hysterical fit in the middle of Disney World? In the middle of Epcot, in the middle of the vacation I had worked so hard to plan?

My DH had to literally carry DS out kicking and screaming.

We were "those" parents.:lmao:

We got our stroller and he was still crying and just would not calm down. I could feel the already frayed edges of my sanity slowly unraveling. This wasn't what I had pictured, this level of tantrums from my normally well behaved boy. I remember thinking who are you and what have you done with my child?

Lack of sleep has adverse affects on more than just me, I guess.:sad2:

So we kept walking, and I was angry. And you could tell. And DH was trying to calm me down and I didn't want to talk. I wanted to be angry because it hurt. Everything I was thinking, all the angst I'd had before the trip had welled up into this moment. We stopped over by the lagoon.

BOOM!!!

Except it wasn't DS. It was me. And it wasn't out loud. It was internal. A totally internal snapping of something vital. Something inside me just broke. Thank goodness for dark sunglasses. I cried. Not big, not loud, not even audible. Just a quiet, silent cry, looking over the World Showcase lagoon.

And in that time, DH managed to get DS calmed down, got him a granola bar from the backpack, and they were watching/feeding the ducks together while DS ate/shared the granola bar. So I let it out, and felt better. DH and I had some words, and I just said, "I worked so hard for this and I didn't expect it to be perfect, but I didn't expect it to be like this." I think he got it. We're both a little bitter about our current situation, and we didn't expect to have to face it head on this vacation. But that's the thing. No matter how happy the happy place, you're still you. And you can't escape that.

Up next - Do I ever stop looking at the boy like he's a time bomb?

Oh, TK... master of the cliffhanger... I'm afraid of what the 'boom' might be and it has my motherly instincts in cringe mode!

Sensors on! ;)

(Can't wait for next installment. Stop talking to your DH and mothering your child so I can get my fix. GEEZ WOMAN. Priorities.)

:lmao:

Wow. I would like to take this moment to say that Disney has way too many displays of candy. Can't they be like the grocery stores and have a few no candy displays? ;)

I can completely understand why you had a meltdown of your own. Who needs reality on a Disney vacation? I certainly don't! And apprently neither does your DS. Heck! I had meltdowns of my own during our trip and I don't even have a three year old. Afterall this was your first vacation as a family of three, you have to see what works for you. I just have a feeling after this everything got a bit better. :goodvibes

Wow. I would like to take this moment to say that Disney has way too many displays of candy. Can't they be like the grocery stores and have a few no candy displays? ;)

I never looked at candy displays with so much disdain before. Pffft!:lmao:

I just have a feeling after this everything got a bit better. :goodvibes

Perhaps. :rolleyes1

How dare the real world intrude on your vacation??? :headache: Not having kids yet I never really thought about all of the candy/junk food displays and how that would present quite a challenge. Yikes! That must be tough to navigate.

I agree w/ LL... I bet things got better! :goodvibes

I have to say, I laughed out loud at "mom I have to poop" moment. Yes, I have the maturity of an elementary school student. :laughing:

How dare the real world intrude on your vacation??? :headache: Not having kids yet I never really thought about all of the candy/junk food displays and how that would present quite a challenge. Yikes! That must be tough to navigate.

And honestly, until DS reached this age, I never saw those displays as an issue! :lmao:

I have to say, I laughed out loud at "mom I have to poop" moment. Yes, I have the maturity of an elementary school student. :laughing:

Well, who doesn't like a little toilet humor? :lmao:

Honestly, even then, it was funny. I grabbed him and took off like a shot. That was the first time he'd said that the whole vacation, and I so did not want him to have an accident on top of the day we were having.

OMGoodness...you were right about the boom!

I am very happy that you had dark sunglasses and were able to let it out because to me, that's the only cure for those kinds of emotions.

And I am with everyone else in saying that I hope and I expect that things got much better after this!

3 years old is such a hard age for that type of thing. He's too young to do the whole "you have 20 disney dollars to spend for the week and when it's gone your done" tactic. But he's too old not to know what candy and whatnot is.

The whole spiderman thing was/is genius! I'm filing that one away for future use.

OMGoodness...you were right about the boom!

I am very happy that you had dark sunglasses and were able to let it out because to me, that's the only cure for those kinds of emotions.

I've had the same sunglasses for years, and I think I was infinitely grateful for them at that very moment.

3 years old is such a hard age for that type of thing. He's too young to do the whole "you have 20 disney dollars to spend for the week and when it's gone your done" tactic. But he's too old not to know what candy and whatnot is.

That's so true. It can be very hard to quantify something to a three year old.

The whole spiderman thing was/is genius! I'm filing that one away for future use.

It worked very, very well. I totally credit DH with this concept, which became useful later in the trip as well. Same concept, different setting. You'll see. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter