Yes, another Canon Lens Question....Sorry

Mr Wes

Mouseketeer
Sorry I know this trip isn't Disney related but I figured Id ask anyway...I will be in Puerto Rico for about 5 days the first week of March (work trip), and decided to take my T2i....

I decided to stick with the kit lens while I learn photography but now that I will be taking this trip I want a general/walk around lens that will help me take some beautiful shots.......

So what would you recommend? Budget is a priority but will consider going over if I need to.

Sorry for throwing another "Lens" thread out there.....Thanks!

Can you tell us which kit lens you have? I have seen a number of different kits with the T2i.

Sorry forgot to note what lens it came with....

T2i + 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

I always like to plug my walk-about lens, the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4. I have an older version without stabilization. If you click on my link in my signature the majority of the photos in my travel photos and Disney photos were taken with this lens. My copy has great colour rendition and pretty nice IQ (at least to my eye). Some may find they want a longer zoom range (like an 18-200), but I find I shoot a lot at the 17mm end, so it suits me fine.

Good luck on your lens search!

Nice pics CPBJGC!!! Thanks for the info as well. I will definitely look into your recommendation.

Actually 18-55 is a pretty good walk-around for a crop camera, with a similar field of view as the 28-80 we used with 35mm. For a wider aperture and better optical performance Canon's 17-55 f/2.8 is good but $$$, their new 15-85 is also a good walkaround (and also $$$).
I carry a 24-105 but if I had to do it over I would probably go with a 15-85.

I have a Canon 18-135mm that stays on my camera most of the time. The zoom range is great, and it produces great quality pics. I was in a similar situation as you, and was needing a walk-around for my cruise. I wasn't disappointed at all. Plus, i use it all the time at Disney; so it's seen it's fair share of shooting situations.

I use an older Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 on my crop camera as my walkaround lens. You can pick it up used for around $150 form KEH. It's a great alternative if you really need to stretch your budget.

Mr Wes - Depending on where you are at with your photography learning journey, that 18 - 55 kit lens is a decent enough lens to shoot with. I found that it was great for daytime, landscape and general shots. I'm also shooting on a T2i.

What are you planning on shooting at Puerto Rico and what are you shooting at home?
If you want to shoot animals/wildlife on your holiday, then you are going to need to at least head into the 150 - 250 mm mark (or beyond) on the crop camera. If so, there is the canon kit 55 - 250 mm, which is still a kit lens; or if you have the $$$ of the 70 - 200 mm, f/2.8 IS.

If you are planning on shooting in low light conditions, then you're going to need to head into a lens with a wider aperture of at least f/2.8. At this stage, if you stay with Canon lenses, you're going to need to consider whether the longer zooms (variable f/3.5) is of more benefit to your shooting style or whether a wider aperture (f/2.8) is better.

If you don't want to replace the 18 - 55 kit with the 17 - 55 f/2.8, then you might want to consider adding prime lenses to your bag, for now.

For what it's worth, I started with the 18 - 55 and 55 - 250 mm kit lenses.

I enjoy shooting in low light conditions and in bright daylight. My style of photography is such that I'm taking shots mostly in the 30's mm range on the crop camera.

I bought a 50mm f/1.8 prime after about 6 months (because I was asked to take pictures at a friend's wedding) and I've now replaced the 18 - 55 mm with the 17 - 55 f/2.8 for those low light pictures.
For my style of shooting at the moment, the 55 - 250 mm is sufficient; but I have plans to replace it with the 70 - 200 mm at some stage when I start taking pictures for indoor sports or wildlife. Right now, I don't do much of either.

I've recently picked up the 10 - 22 mm Canon lens as well to extend my range at the lower end. I seriously considered getting the Tokina 11 - 17 mm f/2.8; but no one had it in stock. I figured that if I was going to use the UWA in low light, I'd set up the tripod and use different settings.

Good luck with your decision.

princess::upsidedow

Ill be doing mostly landscape and urban/city shooting. We are also at Disneyland just about every weekend which is the reason for wanting a lens for low light conditions to get those great night shots..... I guess my best bet is to rent some of the lenses that were suggested....thanks again!

Ill be doing mostly landscape and urban/city shooting. We are also at Disneyland just about every weekend which is the reason for wanting a lens for low light conditions to get those great night shots..... I guess my best bet is to rent some of the lenses that were suggested....thanks again!

The 18-55IS can take good low light shots, just use a tripod or increase the ISO. An f2.8 zoom will be better but cost more, renting is an option but look at buying used. you can check used lens prices at sites like
http://photography-on-the.net/forum
or
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum

Pick your three "dream" lenses and just tell Mrs. Wes that the good ole folks on the disboards stated you really "need" these lenses to do Puerto Rico justice.

We can take the heat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter