Xbox in the staterooms? 3 ways/extension cords? USB?

ps17

DIS Veteran
We have one of the newer Xboxe ones that are allegedly low power. Yes, I know it's sad, but that thing travels with our family. Deciding whether or not to bring with...

1) Is that allowed in staterooms?

2) Is there an HDMI interface?

3) I thought I saw somewhere that extension cords or 3 ways are no longer allowed. Is this true? Do they provide their own outlet solutions?

4) Is there USB for phone charging?

Thanks in advance.....

From the prohibited items list:

"Gaming systems such as Playstation®, Xbox and Nintendo Wii (due to compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs)"
"Extension cords or surge protectors"

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/list/

I think they might have USBs for phone charging though I am not 100% sure on that, I seem to remember seeing someone post about it here on the boards.

On all of the ships there are outlets that can be used for charging, but may need a wall piece. For sure on the wonder, and possibly on other ships there are USB outlets

i brought an USB wall hub that had four ports on it. it plugged directly into an outlet an looked exactly like an other wall charger except with more ports.

DCL among other cruiselines discourages connecting external peripherals regardless of type to their TVs.

Most of the TVs are connected to the ships network. The concern is these items may interfere with that operation. Or disable one of many applications running on the network. Especially when you connect a network, data hungry modern Xbox. Especially when wifi is offered.

In the past most vessels had no problem if a pax wanted to connect a DVD or whatever. Back in the old days.
But with wifi now and modern devices things have become a touch more complicated unfortunately.
All these modern devices have proprietary software installed that try to link up band. Not what the vessel's system needs.

Most lines, have in fact, tried to disable the aux ports on the TVs just for this reason.
They are not trying to intentionally make your travel more uncomfortable.
They are trying to protect their systems from 1250 cabins attempting to access their network for who knows why. With all there different contaminated proprietary software and virus laden devices.

Get it ? ? ?

:)

JMO

Last edited:
OK, we won't use our Xbox - but the cruise is only a part of our extended vacation. If we just have the Xbox with us stored away, they won't confiscate it, will they? I read in another thread that they were taking extension cords etc. out of luggage?

You are paying all this money and taking an XBox? Why not just leave it at home and not risk it? You say that it travels with your family, but why is it such a necessity? Maybe it would do your family some good to learn to live without it for a few days. Just a thought.

If you must bring it, you risk Disney confiscating all or part of it, and then it's on you to remember to pick it up at the end of the cruise.

If you are concerned about it being confiscated, you could box it in such a way that it's clear that you're willing to have it confiscated. Put your name, address, sailing and room number on it and tape it closed. They might 'store' it for you to pick up later on, or they might see it as an indication that you aren't interested in using it on the ship. If you are driving and worried about it, leave it well hidden in the car.

We travel with our laptop and no one confiscates it, so it's possible you'll be able to keep it, but maybe the HDMI cable will be confiscated so you can't hook it to their TV?

If you are concerned about it being confiscated, you could box it in such a way that it's clear that you're willing to have it confiscated. Put your name, address, sailing and room number on it and tape it closed. They might 'store' it for you to pick up later on, or they might see it as an indication that you aren't interested in using it on the ship. If you are driving and worried about it, leave it well hidden in the car.

We travel with our laptop and no one confiscates it, so it's possible you'll be able to keep it, but maybe the HDMI cable will be confiscated so you can't hook it to their TV?

I think that we will just leave it in the rental car hidden in a bag. Should be equally secure at the port.

thanks...

OK, .... they won't confiscate it, will they?

I read in another thread that they were taking extension cords etc. out of luggage?

Great question.

Can't help, as I don't sail with modern game boxes.

What I have heard is they store items at the port. You pick up during disbark.
Works fine unless your trying to catch an 11am flight.

Sometimes they keep aboard, like fans, power strips, liquor?
Then that process is/was more discombobulated last I read.
Where you pick up within the ship.

Good Luck

I think that we will just leave it in the rental car hidden in a bag. Should be equally secure at the port.

thanks...

Just wondering when are you sailing and from what port? I ask because if you are saying from either FL port and in the summer a system being left in the heat like that can damage it. I'd rather take the risk of it being confiscated then wipe the hard drive because of extreme heat.

thanks...

I'm not sure how the new rigs handle ambient heat, but I'd park as much in the shade as you can to protect the interior of the car from getting too hot and damaging the components. Just in case.

Happy travels!

It's Gamer dialogue is all.

The previous few posts were referring to gaming equipment.

Not all grasp that. It sounds like you are talking about nefarious items.

Do you gamers get that. Or do you post that way on purpose to freak us old timers, non gamers out?

Just a question?

I think they might have USBs for phone charging though I am not 100% sure on that, I seem to remember seeing someone post about it here on the boards.

I don't ever recall seeing USB ports for charging and we always have at least four items which need charging. Haven't been on the Wonder since 2000 but I've not seen one on Magic as of 2015, Dream as of 2102 or Fantasy as of last December.

Laptops are not on the list of prohibited items so I see no reason that they would confiscate it. If Xbox is on the list, they will if they detect it.

It's Gamer dialogue is all.

The previous few posts were referring to gaming equipment.

Not all grasp that. It sounds like you are talking about nefarious items.

Do you gamers get that. Or do you post that way on purpose to freak us old timers, non gamers out?

Just a question?

I have no clue what you are saying. The post I made and the one below me were directly talking about an Xbox. I wouldn't leave my laptop in a trunk in Florida for a week for the same reason I wouldn't leave a game system in one either. Long exposures to heat even with a game system (in this case an Xbox) or any electronic really can cause damage. That is why iPhones have a heat warning and will not turn on or try to pull any information if it is too hot. That is just technology 101. If it has any sort of computer part it should not be left in extreme heat or extreme cold for any extended period of time. Vehicles add to that because they magnify the heat. The average weather in the summer is the upper 90s with several days of higher then that. Add the fact it is inside a car which will be getting hotter then just the natural air temp and the OP could come back to a gaming system that doesn't work.

I don't ever recall seeing USB ports for charging and we always have at least four items which need charging. Haven't been on the Wonder since 2000 but I've not seen one on Magic as of 2015, Dream as of 2102 or Fantasy as of last December.
The Wonder got new USB charging outlets during her reimagining and the other ships have clocks that have 2 USB ports. I dug around and found the thread where I saw the information. https://disboards.com/threads/usb-charging-ports.3580546/

Hey all just returned. Thanks to all who replied to this thread. Some notes: We left our family travelling Xbox in the car at the port (along with dirty laundry).
We rarely saw our 14 year old son throughout the cruise as he instantly met with friends at the Edge/Vibe. Saw him at dinner and that was in. As part of their multiple socializing activities, there was Xbox in both the Edge and Vibe.

The Dream has a new digital clock at bedside that has 2 USB outlets.

@ps17, how did your xbox fare in the car? Did it do ok? I would've been worried a) heat could've affected it or b) someone could've potentially gone car "snooping". Regardless, glad your DS did well and didn't go into withdrawals :D As a wife and mom to a software developer who is obsessed with games (who unfortunately passed it on to our 2 sons), I totally understand! We let our 2 kids bring their portable game systems to play when we're in the room and DH just has to "suck it up" LOL! I don't frankly care if our kids play their games on vacation since they don't get to play their games much during the school year and it's their vacation. However, the games do NOT leave our cabin and we're out of the room most of the day!

We had a minivan so that mitigated the car trunk heat somewhat. We also went out of our way to park the vehicle in the shaded ramp (as opposed to the premium). We presume that a port area parking ramp - especially that one is well surveillanced and probably not a target of theft.

As part of our 10 day trip, our first 4 days were at Disney and we stayed at the beach club. We were perfectly fine with our son playing the game while we were in the rooms. When we aren't at the park and doing our non pool things like working out, or going for a walk/run around the lagoon, or going to a concert at AG theatre (little river band), we never expected that he would follow us around. He is a video game addict -but he is also an excellent student so as long as that part of it is upheld, he can do the things that he likes to do...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter