Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs DVC Purchase

voxparse

Abide
I have looked through a lot of old threads and even other forums and I feel like I'm missing something. WBC seems significantly cheaper than DVC. Is it just the Disney upcharge and theming or is there some hidden cost to WBC that I'm not finding? I get why people buy DVC as I have been seriously considering a purchase but I was blown away when I started looking at WBC. I can get a contract on resale for WBC that will get me multiple weeks/year for half the price of similar DVC resale contract.

There are timeshares with Hilton / Wyndham for pennies to buy a contract resale. Just take over the fees. I've looked at them many times. Big advantage is those brands are worldwide.

I do have DVC....not sure if I'll ever add another timeshare but they are so enticing.
How much are the fees?

How much are the fees?

Hilton Grand Vacation on a resale this is what they quoted me.

Offer Price: this was like .02 cents

8,000 points received on ODD years.

Estoppel Fee: $85.00

Closing costs: $375.00 (Est)

Admin Fee: $349.00

Resort Transfer Fee: $450.00

Club Activation Fee: $625.00
*This is billed directly to you after closing by Hilton

Your first year of use would be 2023.

I also believe these do not expire like DVC.

Hilton Grand Vacation on a resale this is what they quoted me.

Offer Price: this was like .02 cents

8,000 points received on ODD years.

Estoppel Fee: $85.00

Closing costs: $375.00 (Est)

Admin Fee: $349.00

Resort Transfer Fee: $450.00

Club Activation Fee: $625.00
*This is billed directly to you after closing by Hilton

Your first year of use would be 2023.
Would you have fees to pay every year

I spoke to people who had purchased Wyndham points for almost nothing in resale - using them currently at Wyndham Bonnet Creek - so yes, other than a bit higher annual management fees there is no $$$ comparison. And Wyndham has a LOT of locations if you get tired of Orlando. I would say to GO to Wyndham Bonnet Creek, and any other Disney Resorts you are comparing and see if it "feels" right to you - honestly, I found the reception area and pools very boring, but if you are just looking for a larger place to stay and hit the Orlando attractions every year it might be perfect. Again, go LOOK and decide what suits you. Be sure to read about the housekeeping credits etc at Wyndham - I found it added a lot of $ for short term trips. My gut feel is to "save money" - shop for a hotel well in advance and ignore timeshares. The DVC is mostly about wanting to stay in the "Disney bubble" for x number of days every couple of years for the next 20-40 years. Do you love WDW or Disneyland that much?

Last edited:
Would you have fees to pay every year

I believe the maintenance fees on those 8,000 points were around $1,300 every other year since the points were only coming in on odd years.

Since I didn't buy I can't say for certain.

TUGS has done a good job of talking me out of these systems. They have all the complicated math and charts over there. Like DVC, there are some resorts with crazy dues and some with more favorable. So, the deed price isn't the most important part of the math.

Wyndham is cracking down on renting right now, but seems like the others aren't that hard to rent instead of buying.

How much are the fees?
From what I've seen so far the fees for maintenance are in the neighborhood of $5-$7 per thousand points. It depends on whether you are deeded to a home resort or their "access" program where you don't have a home resort.

I spoke to people who had purchased Wyndham points for almost nothing in resale - using them currently at Wyndham Bonnet Creek - so yes, other than a bit higher annual management fees there is no $$$ comparison. And Wyndham has a LOT of locations if you get tired of Orlando. I would say to GO to Wyndham Bonnet Creek, and any other Disney Resorts you are comparing and see if it "feels" right to you - honestly, I found the reception area and pools very boring, but if you are just looking for a larger place to stay and hit the Orlando attractions every year it might be perfect. Again, go LOOK and decide what suits you. Be sure to read about the housekeeping credits etc at Wyndham - I found it added a lot of $ for short term trips. My gut feel is to "save money" - shop for a hotel well in advance and ignore timeshares. The DVC is mostly about wanting to stay in the "Disney bubble" for x number of days every couple of years for the next 20-40 years. Do you love WDW or Disneyland that much?
I think that is what is drawing me to WBC. We love going to Disney and have been making a couple trips a year lately. I have no intention of stopping. We typically stay in value resorts but if I could have a 1 bedroom at WBC for about the same price/night or less, it seems like a no brainer. We definitely like the Disney bubble but I'm not sure we care too much about the hotel part of the bubble, that's really the question we have to figure out.

I’d suggest spending some time on TUG to really understand. That being said, I have stayed at Bomnet Creek and combined that stay with a DVC stay and would absolutely do it again. The units were lovely and very large and soooo much cheaper than DVC. If you have a car that you’ll be using for transportation anyway, there really isn’t a qualitative difference between this and DVC at WDW. It’s within the boundaries of Disney property, it has multiple pools and a lazy river. It’s not themed like AKV or some of the highly themed resorts, but Disney seems to be moving away from that anyway.

If it had better transportation like DVC, I would be tempted, but I don’t ever have a car and the other options don’t seem appealing to me, but the savings would. I’ve tried to get the husband to try it out just for a stay and so far he has not bitten. We have Worldmark points that you can use there an exchange with Wyndham.

I’d suggest spending some time on TUG to really understand. That being said, I have stayed at Bomnet Creek and combined that stay with a DVC stay and would absolutely do it again. The units were lovely and very large and soooo much cheaper than DVC. If you have a car that you’ll be using for transportation anyway, there really isn’t a qualitative difference between this and DVC at WDW. It’s within the boundaries of Disney property, it has multiple pools and a lazy river. It’s not themed like AKV or some of the highly themed resorts, but Disney seems to be moving away from that anyway.
Yes great point. We always have a car as we drive down to Orlando and to be totally honest, we're very over Disney transportation with the exception of the Skyliner.

I have looked through a lot of old threads and even other forums and I feel like I'm missing something. WBC seems significantly cheaper than DVC. Is it just the Disney upcharge and theming or is there some hidden cost to WBC that I'm not finding? I get why people buy DVC as I have been seriously considering a purchase but I was blown away when I started looking at WBC. I can get a contract on resale for WBC that will get me multiple weeks/year for half the price of similar DVC resale contract.
If you are paying "half the price of DVC" for a Bonnet Creek contract, you are doing it wrong. Stalk ebay. I picked up a 252,000 point Bonnet Creek contract last October on Ebay for $750 including closing costs. That's enough points to stay two weeks over thanksgiving in a 2 bedroom, or 1 week over Christmas in a 2 bedroom. Maintenance fees last year at Bonnet Creek were like $6.37 per 1,000 plus the programming fee of $175. Advance Reservation Priority doesn't really matter for Bonnet Creek either so you can try to get a lower maintenance fee Wyndham contract, but those will likely be more expensive upfront.

I looked into Wyndham but ultimately the required dodging of timeshare piranhas gets old and killed off the willingness to stay for me. We've rented a few times at WBC and our local Wyndham (all under rented points for really cheap deals we found online) and it was fine but nothing to write home about. Back to the big gripe. Your first day vacation day, after a long travel day (been up since 4am, hungry cranky family in the car) , you get stuck listening to a spiel you can't get out of just to get your "parking pass". If you've never stayed - its a ploy to send you to the salesmen who are the holders of said pass you supposedly are required to have. You wait in a long line to check in then have to follow up at this secondary desk where you are stuck listening to their spiel. It doesn't bother some people I'm sure but I don't like confrontation or making people feel bad (even slimy sales people) You have to be pretty direct to get away from them. I do realize they are just trying to do their job though so the whole setup puts me off. Never have I ever been accosted by a high pressure DVC salesman on my stays, even when we were on rented points.

Also, for me, the whole environment at Wyndham properties aren't as nice as Disney. It just feels more used, beat up, etc. That being said, I know my sentimental attachment to DVC makes me biased. I took my kids to the arcade closet at OKW and it was embarrassingly bad (but DVC still wins!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter