WWYD

vacay77

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to reschedule a WDW vacation and my 7 month booking window opens soon. VGC is my home resort and I have enough points to use excess points for a WDW vacation next year. My first preference - Riviera is gone. I've been keeping an eye on it and logged in this morning to see that the studios are no longer available. Right now, the only ones I might be interested in (now that Riviera is gone), is Boulder Ridge, Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Floridian, and Bay Lake Tower. The only one I've stayed at is Animal Kingdom Lodge - which we liked and the low points required appeals to me, but transportation can take a while to and from the theme parks from that resort (with the exception of Animal Kingdom). We love the Beach Club area because it's so close to Epcot and that's the park we will really looking forward to visiting because of the new rides - although hopefully Tron will be open by the time of our visit so Magic Kingdom would be a priority for us, too.

Assuming any of the resorts I've listed above are still available by the time my booking window opens, which resort would you choose? I really wanted to try the skyline which is why I wanted to stay at the Riviera and I have a free night that I can use at the Caribbean Beach Resort, so also - should I just nix DVC and book a stay at the Caribbean using my free night?

I'm totally overthinking this but really bummed that my first choice Riviera is no longer available.

Last edited:
I would pick BLT or BWV from the ones you mention. Using the monorail, BLT will be good for Epcot and just a walk away from MK.

With the resort studios, VGF, will probably be available at more points, and also good for MK and Epcot.

I'm trying to reschedule a WDW vacation and my 7 month booking window opens tomorrow. VGC is my home resort and I have enough points to use excess points for a WDW vacation next year. My first preference - Riviera is gone. I've been keeping an eye on it and logged in this morning to see that the studios are no longer available. Right now, the only ones I might be interested in (now that Riviera is gone), is Boulder Ridge, Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Grand Floridian, and Bay Lake Tower. The only one I've stayed at is Animal Kingdom Lodge - which we liked and the low points required appeals to me, but transportation can take a while to and from the theme parks from that resort (with the exception of Animal Kingdom). We love the Beach Club area because it's so close to Epcot and that's the park we will really looking forward to visiting because of the new rides - although hopefully Tron will be open by the time of our visit so Magic Kingdom would be a priority for us, too.

Assuming any of the resorts I've listed above are still available by the time my booking window opens, which resort would you choose? I really wanted to try the skyline which is why I wanted to stay at the Riviera and I have a free night that I can use at the Caribbean Beach Resort, so also - should I just nix DVC and book a stay at the Caribbean using my free night?

I'm totally overthinking this but really bummed that my first choice Riviera is no longer available.
I would go with BWV if Epcot is your primary focus. Then I would wait list RIV and stalk the RAT in case something turns up. If nothing becomes available at RIV, you can still get to the Skyliner pretty easily from BWV by either walking or boating to the IG or HS.

These questions are so subjective ;) While I like the Riviera design generally, I would never want to stay there as the lobby, grounds, pool areas etc. are very cramped and underwhelming -- especially for a Deluxe. Plus I hate the Skyliner and it's otherwise isolated. For the same reasons of isolation WL and AK are at the bottom of our DVC list (along with the RIV, our bottom three). If we're going isolation we opt for SSR (Congress Park) for the Springs access. But from your listed choices I would go VGF or BLT (as an original since '71, my sweet spot is still the MK loop). Plus that gives you pretty good access to the Epcot monorail line for that trip. But again, it really depends on your personal preference and which one is calling out to you the most.

I would never want to stay there as the lobby, grounds, pool areas etc. are very cramped and underwhelming -- especially for a Deluxe
funny you mention that, as we particularly enjoy the "backyard" at Riviera - the swings, the games, the pools (and the fact they are so close - we can go back and forth). It's a lovely place to spend an afternoon or evening.

I would put in a WL for Riviera. You could also use your free Caribbean night as part of a split stay with an MK resort. I would suggest VGF because it has a similar vibe to Riviera and all the studios - whether resort or OG - are "new." (The OG building was refurbished in late 2021).

Thank you everyone for your input! My 7 month booking window opened and I was able to get book the last remaining studio at BWV. Woohoo! VGF ended up being my 2nd choice (and I would have loved to stay there), but the points needed for BWV versus VGF was the deciding factor.

Thank you everyone for your input! My 7 month booking window opened and I was able to get book the last remaining studio at BWV. Woohoo! VGF ended up being my 2nd choice (and I would have loved to stay there), but the points needed for BWV versus VGF was the deciding factor.
Yep - I was making a reservation for next spring and had the same thought. BWV was our first stay in a DVC (on cash) - so I will always have a soft spot for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!