WWYD- Illegal Movies

This is almost the exact plot of an episode of The Simpsons entitled Steal This Episode.

Also, depending on the situation, my SIL works for a major film company in LA and gets screeners sometimes, so you never know!

Well I didn't realize there were some legal ways to have first run movies. But if these weren't legally obtained I just don't associate with people who openly steal/cheat, etc. Ymmv.

If I legally had access to first run movies and was showing them, I would make sure everyone knew they weren't stolen. But I'm a rule follower:)
You don't think they wouldn't pass off stolen movies at legitimate? Also, if you steer clear of people who openly (and who said they openly admitted to stealing?) steal/cheat, you're missing out on some good times. Probably some good drugs too.

You don't think they wouldn't pass off stolen movies at legitimate? Also, if you steer clear of people who openly (and who said they openly admitted to stealing?) steal/cheat, you're missing out on some good times. Probably some good drugs too.
:) I've made it 38 years without any good drugs, I think I'll survive. But thank you for the concern:)

Could very easily be a screener copy and they could have completely legal possession of that copy.

This. OR, there might be other ways that it could be totally legit...I've been at someones house who has Direct TV, and I've seen an ad on there that says they have some movies on demand "while they are still in the theater". I have no idea how that works, or if this movie is one of them, but having heard that commercial tells me that there ARE legitimate ways to have access to movies legally.

The bottom line is that I would mind my own business.

b060fe884aecb2073e1dee9421c1c813ac64d72fba0e345b28ad886a289cc90a.jpg

I have a question for the OP and anyone else on this thread who said they would call, or would consider calling, the police on this neighbor. Let's suspend reality for a minute and pretend that you called the police and you achieved your desired result, that is, the man was prosecuted. Do you really feel comfortable knowing that you were responsible for putting a husband and father behind bars, not to mention the lawyer fees and the criminal record that would precede and follow the jail time, for wanting to bring the neighborhood together by showing a movie in his backyard, even though the movie was pirated?

I imagine you'd have to be fine with it, otherwise the thought of calling the police wouldn't even be an option.

I have a question for the OP and anyone else on this thread who said they would call, or would consider calling, the police on this neighbor. Let's suspend reality for a minute and pretend that you called the police and you achieved your desired result, that is, the man was prosecuted. Do you really feel comfortable knowing that you were responsible for putting a husband and father behind bars, not to mention the lawyer fees and the criminal record that would precede and follow the jail time, for wanting to bring the neighborhood together by showing a movie in his backyard, even though the movie was pirated?

I imagine you'd have to be fine with it, otherwise the thought of calling the police wouldn't even be an option.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to any conversation the officers would have after receiving such a call though.

Our new neighbors moved in over the winter. Their backyard faces ours. Earlier in the spring we met them when we were out playing with the kids and they mentioned that they wanted to host neighborhood movie nights in the summer. Apparently they had a projector a really cool outdoor screen. Sure enough, a few weeks ago, we got a flyer in our mailbox about the Saturday night movies.

DS9 has wanted to stop by but we are insanely busy with his swim schedule and baseball schedule and other commitments that we haven't been home for any of them yet. We have come home and seen their set up as the movie is finishing up and it is nice. So Friday we noticed they had their stuff out (we were forecasted to get a ton of rain on Saturday) and I told DS he could go over. Anyway, I glanced out and saw they had started their movie it was packed and then I saw it was Inside Out. At first I thought it was just a preview and then realized it was the actual movie. I told him he wasn't allowed to go over and then we got into a whole discussion about bootlegging movies and why it is wrong, etc. Of course we were the "bad" parents then since it looked like most of the other neighbor kids were over there.

My husband wanted to report them to the cops since it was just out there in the open. I didn't want to do that, but I am very uncomfortable now with what to say when they ask us why we don't come over. They can easily see when we are home. We actually ended up going to see the movie in the theater last night since DS kept asking then. So, WWYD in this situation?

Mind your own business-remember that you have to live next door to these people. Snitching on them is going to make for a lifelong awkward situation for both of you. As for an excuse about your son, just use the same excuse you used on here-that he is busy with his activities.

I need an industry friend for those screener perks, my kid doesn't understand why we can buy movies that are in the theater! :rolleyes2

I'm guessing you meant the word CAN'T, and believe me your kid is hardly alone! I used to work in Target and once spent at least 10 minutes with a guest who wanted a copy of whatever Disney Animated movie was playing in the theaters at the time(can't remember which 1) and dang if i could get her to understand that because it was STILL playing in the movie theaters and making a lot of money it wasn't going to be on my Target shelf that same day. "well when wil you have it? whenever Disney sends it. when will they do that? whenever they want to.":sad2:

There are websites that sell the pirated movies. We found out that we actually had gotten intoduced to a family that subscribed to them. They would talk about to anybody, anywhere. Unbeknown to them, one of the guys they got friendly with at a local watering hole, was undercover for the local feds and he inturn tipped off the powers to be. We met them on a Friday, no plans to ever ingage with them again, when later that next week they were in the news when they got busted.

There are a bunch of apps for it- one app I have on my iPad has thousands of movies, some older and some just out in theaters- I guess I better call the cops and turn myself in.

Holy crap, grown folks wanting to tattle, snitch and rat out people.

I am always amazed how many people on the disboards have never grown out of the grade school tattle-tale stage! A bunch of nosy busy bodies that have no life of their own so they mind everyone's else's!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter