WWYD--buy DVC "bonus" or resale less pts

Goofy&Sleepy

Mouseketeer
I have read the info on the 100+20 "bonus" and a couple related posts...basically, we could get 166 resale for the same price HOWEVER, if we go thru DVC (as we have w/our 50 &30 add ons) we could use our DISNEY VISA and pay it off w/in 6 months. Going resale, we would probably only look at adding 50 pt or so contracts b/c as much as I love my DVC, I am not willing to go into debt and this is what we can afford to do. This would get us to 330 pts. which would make me very happy.:cool

OUr history 150 WVL initally in 2001; 50 add on SSR; 30 add on BLT all bought THRU DVC (yes, I know not the smartest but did not know about resale & only wanted small contracts w/the specials) 1:

Again, I am very budget minded. Would get pts on Disney Visa as well which I could get on resale but wouldn't get those extra months to pay.

THANKS for opinions.

Here is how I would look it it, if it were me. Once the initial cost is paid, the difference then becomes MF's. So, for the same initial costs, you get 120 vs. 166--of course, those 166 points will cost you more in MF"s each year on the additional 46 points--I'll put that somewhere between $200 - $300 each year.

So, while I know you can sometimes get more points via resale, if its more than you really want and/or need, is it really cheaper in the end? Maybe, maybe not.

If you can buy 120 now via Disney because of using the Visa and you feel that is what would enhance your membership to the point you want to be, then I think going that route makes sense.

But, if the initial cost is the same and you would have it paid off on the Visa in 6 months, that would indicate you'd have the cash needed to buy resale in 6 months by just putting the cash away.

I think it comes down to whether or not you want to own another 120 or 166. If 120 is enough, then I would consider the Disney option.

Good luck!

Here is how I would look it it, if it were me. Once the initial cost is paid, the difference then becomes MF's. So, for the same initial costs, you get 120 vs. 166--of course, those 166 points will cost you more in MF"s each year on the additional 46 points--I'll put that somewhere between $200 - $300 each year.

If he doen't need those extra 46 points he can rent them for 11$pp and get around 500$ which he can use to pay the MF on around 100 points.

I cannot see how having more points for the same money can hurt someone.

I have read the info on the 100+20 "bonus" and a couple related posts...basically, we could get 166 resale for the same price HOWEVER, if we go thru DVC (as we have w/our 50 &30 add ons) we could use our DISNEY VISA and pay it off w/in 6 months. Going resale, we would probably only look at adding 50 pt or so contracts b/c as much as I love my DVC, I am not willing to go into debt and this is what we can afford to do. This would get us to 330 pts. which would make me very happy.:cool

OUr history 150 WVL initally in 2001; 50 add on SSR; 30 add on BLT all bought THRU DVC (yes, I know not the smartest but did not know about resale & only wanted small contracts w/the specials) 1:

Again, I am very budget minded. Would get pts on Disney Visa as well which I could get on resale but wouldn't get those extra months to pay.

THANKS for opinions.
I haven't looked at the plus 20 offer but unless you're buying a resort that would be expensive and harder to get resale (CA, HI, BLT), I wouldn't consider resale. IMO, putting on your CC is going into debt even if you think you can pay it off in the 6 months. Do the numbers for your personal situation but you'll likely be better off doing resale for less points at a lower cost. It's also an opportunity to add a different home resort if that's of interest to you.

Or you could wait 4-6 months and pay cash for the same 120 points for approx $4000 less than buying direct now. Or I'd estimate closer to 180 points resale for the same cost of buying direct from Disney if it is AKV you want.

First I'd ask how many points I needed. You said you'd be very happy adding on the 120 so buying more may or may not be the way to go. If it's the 120 then by going resale you'd also have more options of what resort rather than it being only AKV or Aulani and you can pay less. Maybe you'd prefer more points at BLT, SSR or VWL?

I'd also consider if I needed points right away or if it would be fine waiting for a few months.

Akl was one we were considering b/c of value option. We have december uy and usually go in May and Oct. Have been staying studio but kids getting older. Yes, can afford few by cash now but I always pay off cc so definitely wopuld if added extra..another child 40plushas probaby don't need so 120will is fine....thinking...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter