wristband fast pass vs. traditional

doconeill said:
What I _think_ may happen - there will be a reserve. Not all FP+ slots will be made available in advance. There will intentionally be less FP+ available in advance for the primary E-tickets, in order to push people to other things like the new experiences. Others will be available day-of, and that will be explained at pre-book time that you _might_ be able to get some more that day. There will be some day-of limitations as well.

This is in part why I don't see the traditional FP sticking around. Let me know if this makes any since.

Basically, I see the traditional FP system merging into FP+. If they keep the 3 in advance options, all the remaining tickets would remain in the FP+ system, but get treated like the current "traditional system" works. Once you are in the park you can use the app/ kiosk to select an additional FP and as the day goes on it is treated like the traditional system where you can pick one every two hours or when your next FP window opens. The advantage with this system is that you don't need to be at a FP station to grab a ticket, you can actually be on the other side of park in line and select a FP for any attraction in the park. Of course the app will show all the return window times for FP's, which can come in handy. I think this would be much better than keep FP+ and current FP separate, because all the ticket would be pooled together. Of course they could keep x amount out of that pool to use as special offers, or try to direct people around the park.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

This is in part why I don't see the traditional FP sticking around. Let me know if this makes any since.

Basically, I see the traditional FP system merging into FP+. If they keep the 3 in advance options, all the remaining tickets would remain in the FP+ system, but get treated like the current "traditional system" works. Once you are in the park you can use the app/ kiosk to select an additional FP and as the day goes on it is treated like the traditional system where you can pick one every two hours or when your next FP window opens. The advantage with this system is that you don't need to be at a FP station to grab a ticket, you can actually be on the other side of park in line and select a FP for any attraction in the park. Of course the app will show all the return window times for FP's, which can come in handy. I think this would be much better than keep FP+ and current FP separate.

That is one of the possible avenues...scan ticket/magicband, and get the next available slot. But the return time will get added to your "itinerary" and remember when you need to be there (or use the smartphone app). At least I'm not aware of any printing ability at the kiosks.

Possibly a bit more likely is that you'll still be able to choose a time (since you'll be at one of the new kiosks anyways where people can alter/review their itineraries) from what is available and add it to your itinerary. That way all FP+s are handled the same way, instead of having some be first slot and others chosen.

I hope they keep the current FP system in place as from what I read in the FP+ rules under the T&C post is that you can select and redeem a FP+ on an attraction once per day.

I think we have all benefited under the current system, especially in the slow seasons, of getting multiple FP at the big attractions. It would be too bad if that benefit goes away.

I hope they keep the current FP system in place as from what I read in the FP+ rules under the T&C post is that you can select and redeem a FP+ on an attraction once per day.

I think we have all benefited under the current system, especially in the slow seasons, of getting multiple FP at the big attractions. It would be too bad if that benefit goes away.

You can only select in advance at a particular attraction once per day. No idea what they will or won't allow at the park itself that day. But part of what Disney seems to be trying to do is to give MORE people the opportunity to ride, not the same people who got up early the opportunity to ride several times. So I'm not expecting this restriction to change.

And I don't expect the current system to survive after the new system is completely rolled out.

deconeill love the qoute in your signature!!!! :lmao::rotfl2::lmao:

"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me

Another thing I would be wondering about is now that you can book your FP in advance, will that alter when people schedule their Disney trips? Meaning if I was thinking about going the second week of November and found out that the FP+ weren't available for a few of my preferred rides when planning my trip, I would have to either find another date range or plan on not getting FP for that attraction. I guess it will be no different than booking your dining reservations in advance. Put in some dates / times and see what's available.

Another thing I would be wondering about is now that you can book your FP in advance, will that alter when people schedule their Disney trips? Meaning if I was thinking about going the second week of November and found out that the FP+ weren't available for a few of my preferred rides when planning my trip, I would have to either find another date range or plan on not getting FP for that attraction. I guess it will be no different than booking your dining reservations in advance. Put in some dates / times and see what's available.

At this point, the furthest anyone would be able to book in advance is 60 days. If you're planning that close to the travel time, you're probably not terribly flexible in your dates. :)

I still wonder if you decide the night before you will not be going to any park, maybe because of rain (happened to us last summer) and you cancel your FP+'s, will you get those back to use another day? What would be the cut off time to change your park for the day? Midnight the day before, 6 a.m., any time before your first FP+ is used? I'm not sure how much there would be to pick from at that point but I thought one of the selling points of this new system was the flexible in changing your schedule.

I still wonder if you decide the night before you will not be going to any park, maybe because of rain (happened to us last summer) and you cancel your FP+'s, will you get those back to use another day? What would be the cut off time to change your park for the day? Midnight the day before, 6 a.m., any time before your first FP+ is used? I'm not sure how much there would be to pick from at that point but I thought one of the selling points of this new system was the flexible in changing your schedule.

Since you are supposed to be able to make same day changes, the night before shouldn't be a problem. The real problem is what caliber of attractions will you be able to replace them with at the last miniute. This is a crucial piece of the puzzle and to me will either make or break it.

Since you are supposed to be able to make same day changes, the night before shouldn't be a problem. The real problem is what caliber of attractions will you be able to replace them with at the last miniute. This is a crucial piece of the puzzle and to me will either make or break it.

I agree. Still the question of when you would be able to change you park of the day for your FP+'s is something I still wonder about. If all of my FP+s are for 2:00 p.m. and after, could I cancel all of them at 1:55 and change them to another park? I have my doubts there would be much to choose at that point but I would love to know how they plan to handle something like that.

mom2mickeyfan said:
I agree. Still the question of when you would be able to change you park of the day for your FP+'s is something I still wonder about. If all of my FP+s are for 2:00 p.m. and after, could I cancel all of them at 1:55 and change them to another park? I have my doubts there would be much to choose at that point but I would love to know how they plan to handle something like that.

It's possible but I really doubt you'd be able too. My guess is once a park opens your park selection is set, but again like so much of it, we won't know until The start FP+. Even then there's a good chance they will make tweaks to the system.

It's possible but I really doubt you'd be able too. My guess is once a park opens your park selection is set, but again like so much of it, we won't know until The start FP+. Even then there's a good chance they will make tweaks to the system.

Actually, I recall that the T&C said you could change things up until the first one is redeemed or expired. But you had to change the "set" - the meaning of which is still not clear. At a minimum, I believe it means if you change them, you need to change all of them to the new park. After the first one redeems/expires, you are then able to change them individually.

I think the wording around the "set" changed from the original version. They now talk about the initial choice being of an "experience set", which makes me wonder about the freedom of individual choices early on.

I asked directly and was told that the FP+ would not replace in-park FastPass options, especially as FP+ is only initially available to resort guests. It may change in the future, but for the time being, they will work together.

When it was described to me, they said that an in-park system would still have to exist for those who are doing day trips and those who are local AP folks who come by regularly, but don't plan extensive stays. I was told that, with the FP+ system, because if favors resort guests and those who will make the 60/90 day window for FP+ scheduling, they would have to keep a FP system within the park that is much the same as exists now, only with less available in-park to balance out the FP+ demand, so that everybody would have access to the system and those who are local, AP, or spontaneous visitors will not have the same access to features that other guests do. I was told this was one of the complaints about the system that people brought up, and the retaining of the internal system was the response.

They?

Just an FYI for those of you interested in DLR. Signs are up and CMs are warning guests. FP enforcement is apparently starting next Monday. They appear to be just shy of a year behind WDW in their journey.

Just an FYI for those of you interested in DLR. Signs are up and CMs are warning guests. FP enforcement is apparently starting next Monday. They appear to be just shy of a year behind WDW in their journey.

Yup, but I expect the MyMagic+ rollout to be a bit faster. They are letting WDW work out all the kinks first. :)

Yup, but I expect the MyMagic+ rollout to be a bit faster. They are letting WDW work out all the kinks first. :)

I agree. And I can definitely think of a few "kinks" I'd like to see worked out...... I'm just hoping DLR holds off until after Christmas.

We are going to WDW/Universal in July and typically I would have bought our tickets by now. Now, I'm just waiting to see how this whole thing works out. With all the tour groups and how busy it is in July, I don't think we will spend the money on Disney if FP+ will be the only FPs. We are staying offsite and always use the regular FP system 3-4 times per day at least when we tour WDW. It will be cheaper just to add more days at Universal or add on Sea World anyway.

Who told you this?

One of the supervisors who was overseeing the RFID application and changeover at the Magic Kingdom. I was standing by the Mary Poppins M&G and she came from backstage towards Main St. She had a pin lanyard with a pin I was looking for, I asked to trade a pin, I saw the RFID logo on her shirt and just to make idle chit chat while we were exchanging pins, said it was an interesting system. She asked if I'd used it, I said I had because I was part of the blogger Fantasyland tour via Disney, so we were asked to use it at the gate and at the gift shops. She asked my thoughts, I said the system was interesting but that I had concerns about how it was going to applied through the parks for FPs. The conversation went from there. Overall, we talked about 10 or so minutes, maybe a little longer, before our group reunited and moved on.

1. nominative plural of he, she, and it, especially in groups of mixed gender or identifiers:
2. people or person in general: They told me it was OK.
3. slang/informal, used with an indefinite singular human identifier used to replace definite use of the masculine singular "he" or feminine "she."

At this point, most Disney experts seem to think that the old system is going away sooner rather than later. That being said, Disney can't afford to scrap a system that works until the new one works perfectly. If you have a trip planned for later this year, just wait until trip reports start rolling in through the spring and summer and make your decision later on. Nothing to do now but wait.

One of the supervisors who was overseeing the RFID application and changeover at the Magic Kingdom. I was standing by the Mary Poppins M&G and she came from backstage towards Main St. She had a pin lanyard with a pin I was looking for, I asked to trade a pin, I saw the RFID logo on her shirt and just to make idle chit chat while we were exchanging pins, said it was an interesting system. She asked if I'd used it, I said I had because I was part of the blogger Fantasyland tour via Disney, so we were asked to use it at the gate and at the gift shops. She asked my thoughts, I said the system was interesting but that I had concerns about how it was going to applied through the parks for FPs. The conversation went from there. Overall, we talked about 10 or so minutes, maybe a little longer, before our group reunited and moved on.

Just as an FYI, the front line CMs - even the supervisors - often don't have the complete details of such things, only what they need to know.

Fastpass is NOT going away in the short term. It needs to remain for all the guests who do not have access to FP+. However, logic dictates that the two systems can't really coexist in the end, since there is a finite number of FP+/FP that can be given out for any given attraction. In addition, the plan is for ALL tickets to be RFID enabled or have guests use MagicBands. Given that they haven't converted any FP kiosks to utilize RFID yet, it seems unlikely they plan to.

And then, ultimately, why maintain two systems giving similar service but radically different implementations?

So it is possible they were referring to the short term, or wasn't informed of the long term plans. Or they really do plan to somehow keep it around and keep up maintenance (maintaining the magstripe scanners, printers, keeping them full of ticket stock, etc. - most of which goes away with the new system)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter