wristband fast pass vs. traditional

I recall hearing that when Fastpass first rolled out, they did not have the two-hour max rule - but they changed it not long after since by later mornings people couldn't get any more Fastpasses, even though plenty were available.

Actually, I think Turn the Page is remembering correctly, because I also remember at one time having to wait until the FP window opened up before being able to get a new one. Specifically, I can remember seeing that the return time for a particular FP attraction was something like 5 hours out and debating if it was worth it to get a FP and then not be able to get one for another attraction for 5 hours.

This is my memory too. I don't know when FP started but when I was planning my 2008 trip, I remember reading tips about being careful to pay attention to return times because you wouldn't be able to get another fastpass until that window but by the time I went, they had changed to the 2 hour rule.

OK, so I got curious while typing this and found this on wikipedia..

"At first, a guest could only hold a single Fastpass at a time; if a guest tried to insert a park ticket into another Fastpass machine before the time shown on their previous Fastpass, the machine would generate a ticket with a message printed on it stating that it was not yet time to obtain another Fastpass."

This is my memory too. I don't know when FP started but when I was planning my 2008 trip, I remember reading tips about being careful to pay attention to return times because you wouldn't be able to get another fastpass until that window but by the time I went, they had changed to the 2 hour rule.

You may have been looking at very old info...the two hour rule was in effect long before 2008.

Since the wikipedia article doesn't cite any references with regards to that info, it's not a great reference in general.

You may have been looking at very old info...the two hour rule was in effect long before 2008.

Since the wikipedia article doesn't cite any references with regards to that info, it's not a great reference in general.

It is entirely possible the reference was an old one in 2008 and I agree, wikipedia isn't always a reliable source but my point was that the PP who said they didn't know about a 2 hour rule since their last trip was so long ago is likely remembering right. In the past, you had to wait for the window on the FP's you were holding to pass before you were allowed to get another.

we are in agreement. I don't think that a guest will be able to use both FP and FP+. However, I believe that FP+ guests will be able to get in-park FP+s.

That is interesting. I hadn't seen it phrased that way before, and that makes sense.

I've been operating under the thought/assumption that it was either using FP+...and only getting three FP for the day (boo). Or using regular old FP...and finding a severe lack of FP available in the parks (boo).

The idea that FP+ might allow three reservations ahead of time, but then also allow for some further FP once you are in the park is encouraging. This is the first thing that has made me actually think of FP+ as a good thing. I hope that works out to be true.

That is interesting. I hadn't seen it phrased that way before, and that makes sense.

I've been operating under the thought/assumption that it was either using FP+...and only getting three FP for the day (boo). Or using regular old FP...and finding a severe lack of FP available in the parks (boo).

The idea that FP+ might allow three reservations ahead of time, but then also allow for some further FP once you are in the park is encouraging. This is the first thing that has made me actually think of FP+ as a good thing. I hope that works out to be true.

We have no idea how they pan to distribute FP+ overall. The only thing we know for certain is that the guy in charge of the program said you can get three in advance, but they expected to be able to offer more "as you go along". What that means is uncertain exactly.

There are several school's of thought.

If they give over the entire supply of FP+ to advanced reservations, there is a good chance that all the prime ones will be taken in advance, leaving only the ones you don't usually need anyways. Unless the rate at which people take advantage of pre-booking is low, leaving the leftovers to be available.

If they keep some in reserve, then those who pre-book might find them unavailable in advance and not be able to make any prime choices at all, but then get to the park and find them available, which might no go over well.

And we have no idea on what kind of limitations might be placed on those that pre-book, such as lockout times, can't get a second one for the same attraction, etc. or for that matter those who get them day-of.

It's a HUGE question at this point, and one we may not actually know until the system is completely rolled out and everyone is required to use it.

doconeill said:
It's a HUGE question at this point, and one we may not actually know until the system is completely rolled out and everyone is required to use it.

Yep and that's leads to so much of the questions/concerns people seem to be having. At this point I just hope they roll it out to everyone sooner rather than later. Our vacation is in mid June so I'm hoping enough info will be out that will help us make the decision if FP+ or traditional FP is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

We have no idea how they pan to distribute FP+ overall. The only thing we know for certain is that the guy in charge of the program said you can get three in advance, but they expected to be able to offer more "as you go along". What that means is uncertain exactly.

I'm aware of that. I've read all the same Magic Band articles and discussions that you've read. I was just pointing out that here was one school of thought that made me feel optimistic, and not pessimistic about this whole grand experiment. And I'm clinging to it.

If they give over the entire supply of FP+ to advanced reservations, there is a good chance that all the prime ones will be taken in advance, leaving only the ones you don't usually need anyways.

That doesn't make much sense. Assuming three pre-reserved FP for each resort guest - and assuming that that includes all the current FP attractions, all the parades, shows and fireworks, and possibly new attractions being added to FP...during moderate to low seasons I seriously doubt that the "entire supply" of FP+ could possibly be pre-reserved. That would only be the case if they started offering far fewer FP per day...which would defeat the whole purpose of FP (getting me out of the lines and into the stores).

That doesn't make much sense. Assuming three pre-reserved FP for each resort guest - and assuming that that includes all the current FP attractions, all the parades, shows and fireworks, and possibly new attractions being added to FP...during moderate to low seasons I seriously doubt that the "entire supply" of FP+ could possibly be pre-reserved. That would only be the case if they started offering far fewer FP per day...which would defeat the whole purpose of FP (getting me out of the lines and into the stores).

In low seasons, maybe...but this will NOT be limited only to resort guests. Every guest who has an eligible ticket (we know MYW for certain and reasonably certain about APs) registered online will be able to reserve FP+ in advance.

But we have to take account _all_ times of year.

I recently read an article (not on Disney's website) that speculated about the future of Fastpass+. The rumor was that those guests who were staying at WDW's deluxe resorts would get more Fastpasses than those who stayed at the value resorts. "Day Guests" (those who don't stay at any of the Disney resorts) would get only one Fastpass per park per day. I was horrified when I read that, and I do hope it is not true. We do not intend to stay at the resorts when it is so much more of a value to stay at a nearby rental property with multiple bedrooms. To distribute Fastpasses based on how much one spends on their overnight accomodations would be really, really low on the part of Disney. I doubt that was Walt's vision.

We saw them updating some signs to include the + after Fastpass in Epcot this week. The white on the plus looked like a sticker that would eventually be removed to reveal black like the other words.

8459588085_9c5d047dba_z.jpg

doconeill said:
In low seasons, maybe...but this will NOT be limited only to resort guests. Every guest who has an eligible ticket (we know MYW for certain and reasonably certain about APs) registered online will be able to reserve FP+ in advance.

But we have to take account _all_ times of year.

Love Tink's point is still a good one. Limiting pure reserved FP+s to three and expanding both the attractions that use FP and the number of FPs per attraction should leave FPs available for day-of assume not regardless what time of year it is. Further, I disagree with your premise that holding back some FPs for day-of selection would cause some sort of problem.

bkloehn said:
I recently read an article (not on Disney's website) that speculated about the future of Fastpass+. The rumor was that those guests who were staying at WDW's deluxe resorts would get more Fastpasses than those who stayed at the value resorts. "Day Guests" (those who don't stay at any of the Disney resorts) would get only one Fastpass per park per day. I was horrified when I read that, and I do hope it is not true. We do not intend to stay at the resorts when it is so much more of a value to stay at a nearby rental property with multiple bedrooms. To distribute Fastpasses based on how much one spends on their overnight accomodations would be really, really low on the part of Disney. I doubt that was Walt's vision.

I'd chalk that up to unfounded speculation and wouldn't waste a moment being concerned about it.

Here is an answer to one of the burning questions on this thread. This is from the Disney Park Experience Terms and Conditions page:

• You are required to convert paper tickets and passes in order to make and use FastPass+ selections. Once you convert a ticket or pass you will no longer be able to participate in the standard FASTPASS service upon arrival at the parks.

You can find the T&C here: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/park-experience-terms-and-conditions.html

There is also a great WDW Today Podcast where the panel discusses with Jim Hill how the Fastpass Plus will work. It can be found here: http://www.wdwtoday.com/article.php?story=20121220211417552&query=Fastpass+Plus

Hope this helps!

BandBob said:
Here is an answer to one of the burning questions on this thread. This is from the Disney Park Experience Terms and Conditions page:

• You are required to convert paper tickets and passes in order to make and use FastPass+ selections. Once you convert a ticket or pass you will no longer be able to participate in the standard FASTPASS service upon arrival at the parks.

You can find the T&C here: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/park-experience-terms-and-conditions.html

There is also a great WDW Today Podcast where the panel discusses with Jim Hill how the Fastpass Plus will work. It can be found here: http://www.wdwtoday.com/article.php?story=20121220211417552&query=Fastpass+Plus

Hope this helps!

I'm not sure what burning question that you were answering. It is well known and oft discussed that you can't use FP+ and the current FP system. The burning question is whether the FP+ system will allow in-park FP selections.

Regarding the podcast, like most things related to Jim Hill, there's more in accuracy there than accuracy. A least we have the basics of what the company has told us about FP+ correct. They were way off.

Yeah but now that FP+ is coming you'll have to come back during your scheduled ride window... :duck: joking only joking

For my family I don't know that we've ever pulled more than 3 FP's in a day anyway so that limit wouldn't be a problem for us, if that's what it is. Plus, if it's like an ADR where I can see a window of times and select then I don't think that would be too difficult to coordinate even months ahead of time. It's kind crazy to have to schedule your rides months before going, but if that's the deal then what can you do. :confused3

What I don't get though is are you only able to buy FP+ ahead of time if you buy your tickets on-line? What if you buy them through Undercover tourist or some other outside seller? How do they know you have tickets and should be able to lock down FP slots? And tickets aren't date specific, so if I have a ticket can I reserve ride times on any day?

Sorry if these are stupid Q's, don't kill me I have a head cold :sick: ...I know these Q's have probably been answered in multiple threads.

Bullseye said:
Yeah but now that FP+ is coming you'll have to come back during your scheduled ride window... :duck: joking only joking

For my family I don't know that we've ever pulled more than 3 FP's in a day anyway so that limit wouldn't be a problem for us, if that's what it is. Plus, if it's like an ADR where I can see a window of times and select then I don't think that would be that difficult to coordinate even months ahead of time. It's kind crazy to have to schedule your rides months before going, but if that's the deal then what can you do. :confused3

What I don't get though is are you only able to buy FP+ ahead of time if you buy your tickets on line? What if you buy them through Undercover tourist or some other outside seller. How do they know you have tickets and should be able to lock down FP slots? And tickets aren't date specific so if I have a ticket can I reserve on any day?

Sorry if these are stupid Q's, don't kill me I have a head cold :sick: ...I know these answers have probably been answered in multiple threads.

For us, the part that could make things tricky and require different planning, is the limit of one park. We visit one in the morning and another at night. I'd be okay with the 3 day limit if I could spread them across parks. Let me reserve TSM in the AM and then Soarin in the PM so I can continue to park hop. But, whatever it turns out to be, we will have to make it work...

Total speculation, which was also carried out on these boards as well. It's based on very old rumors.

It's been announced that it is "three for everyone", at least to start. Whether they change things down the road remains to be seen.

Love Tink's point is still a good one. Limiting pure reserved FP+s to three and expanding both the attractions that use FP and the number of FPs per attraction should leave FPs available for day-of assume not regardless what time of year it is. Further, I disagree with your premise that holding back some FPs for day-of selection would cause some sort of problem.

I'm only point out that it COULD be a problem, since it is 100% speculation anyways as to what they will do in this regard - and you are free to disagree with any speculation.

But several people did show the numbers that the attractions do not have the capacity to handle everyone on a given day as it is, and it is quite conceivable that even if they limit selections to 1 E-ticket per day, and give ALL slots to pre-booking, that they can be all taken before the day in question - unless, like I said, the number of people actually pre-booking who are eligible to don't. That could depend on how much the day guests plan ahead.

And whether they reserve some for day-of, or it's just the "leftovers", that doesn't get rid of the "running of the guests" trying to get what's left - supposedly one of the things they are trying to avoid.

Bullseye said:
What I don't get though is are you only able to buy FP+ ahead of time if you buy your tickets on-line? What if you buy them through Undercover tourist or some other outside seller? How do they know you have tickets and should be able to lock down FP slots?
You would enter your ticket number into your profile. Once a valid ticket is in your profile, you will be able to schedule FP+s.
And tickets aren't date specific, so if I have a ticket can I reserve ride times on any day?
basically, yes. If you have a five-day ticket, you should be able to schedule FP+s for five days. Presumably, these days would be bound by whatever rules apply to your tickets. For instance, if the non-expiring option was not purchased, then all FP+ selections must be within a 14 day span.

I wonder if the last bit is why you aren't able to preschedule FP+s at two different parks on the same day. Perhaps the FP+ prescheduling software is not able to differentiate between hoppers and non-hoppers. Just a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter