Wow...You just never know!

wildcatwmn

Mouseketeer
This happened while I was on the Wonder...just scary, although I am sure they would have stuck out on DCL like a sore thumb...

February 19, 2004

Tampa Law Enforcement Busts Noordam Passengers
When Holland America’s Noordam docked at the Port of Tampa yesterday following a 14-night Southern Caribbean cruise, law enforcement officers -- acting on a tip -- arrested eight passengers for drug smuggling in what is the second largest seizure of heroin in Florida history. According to reports from the Associated Press, the passengers were trying to sneak in 124 pounds of heroin, sewn into clothes, hidden in shoe heels, and tucked away in aerosol cans and a camera. Also seized were 500 small bricks of pure, un-cut cocaine -- 44 pounds in all; these were hidden in suitcases and concealed on suspects' bodies.

The heroin was bound for New York while the cocaine was intended for Miami. According to the AP report, the drugs had originated in Colombia and were picked up when Noordam stopped for a port of call at Isla de Margarita, Venezuela.

The passengers were not, according to reports, the usual, run-of-the-mill Holland America cruisers; these folks were hired by a smuggling ring as couriers. None of the people arrested were connected in any way with Holland America, which says it cooperated fully with investigators.

Several years ago there was a drug bust when the Magic arrived back in port. Some CMs bought drugs in the islands and tried to smuggle them into Port Canaveral.

Jeanny,

I would say it is for the $$$$$

Next time we're all stuck somewhere in a security check, let's try to remember these people. We all want them to be caught. A little extra time on our part is a small cost to keep this stuff out of our country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter