Wow new baby is expensive!

rillsung

DIS Veteran
I'm just realizing how much more a 3rd child is going to cost us on our upcoming cruises. Seriously why do we have to go to a cat 4E or pay for another room to fit 5 people when it will be me, DH, a 5yr old, a 3yr old, and a 4month old! I'm really annoyed :( We're in cat 11A right now.

I'm just realizing how much more a 3rd child is going to cost us on our upcoming cruises. Seriously why do we have to go to a cat 4E or pay for another room to fit 5 people when it will be me, DH, a 5yr old, a 3yr old, and a 4month old! I'm really annoyed :( We're in cat 11A right now.

I know, but "them's the rules".

You could price 2 adjoining rooms to see if it's any less. You just have to have 1 adult on each reservation, but split up sleeping arrangements any way you want.

Because legally, DCL is not allowed to have 5 people booked in a 4 person capacity room, regardless of the age of each individual. It's not DCL, it is the government.

... and the 4th child makes almost any vacation that much more expensive because you can't find a room that sleeps 6 just about anywhere ... it's the nature of the beast.

plus that 4th child means you can't travel in a regular car anymore either.

I feel your pain but being annoyed won't help.....it is what it is. We also have 3 children and that is the way it is on any cruise line.

MJ

I feel your pain but being annoyed won't help.....it is what it is. We also have 3 children and that is the way it is on any cruise line.

MJ

Some of the older Carnival ships can sleep 5 in an inside room. There is trundle that pulls out.

Welcome to the world of Family of 5 !:banana:
Any vacation or recreation activity is more expensive since family packages and family accomodations cater to 2 adults + 2 kids. :headache:

Any vacation or recreation activity is more expensive since family packages and family accomodations cater to 2 adults + 2 kids. :headache:

We stayed off-site at WDW rather than stay at Dixie Landings (years ago) or at a deluxe for my family of 5.

Another perk of the famliy of 5 is someone will eventually have to ride on rides by themselves, because you have to sit 2 x 2 on most rides.

Disney is one of the few cruise lines that has any cabins that sleep 5. I was thrilled when the Dream reservations started and found porthole rooms that sleep 5!

Absolutely...this is how it is. Renting a regular car? Not happening with 3 kids... A regular hotel room? Nope. We were trying to figure out how we had been able to afford Disney twice or three times a year before the youngest child arrived---that is the answer: 3rd child significantly adds to vacation cost (much more so than 1 to 2). Even buying that 5th plane ticket/park ticket has pushed us to decide not to make an extra trip.

Congratulations on the baby!!! We love having 3 kids...would have loved a 4th if it had happened. Enjoy your cruise :)

Welcome!! I know exactly what you mean, but that's one of the reasons we love Disney. While a family of five certainly costs more and limits options a bit, at least Disney gives us the option of getting one room at many WDW deluxes, DL and on DCL. Most of the rest of the world requires us to either book a super-expensive suite with more room than we need, or two rooms! Now if Disney's Aulani could just get on board with the regular-room-for-a-family-of-five, I'll be thrilled!

We stayed off-site at WDW rather than stay at Dixie Landings (years ago) or at a deluxe for my family of 5.

we also stay off site, or fort wilderness cabins( 4 kids and usually a couple friends) A suggestion for the cruise, maybe you could talk some grandparents or some close friends with 1 kid or less(lol) to go along and put extra child on that ressie. We go with extended family, and we just put the kids(on paper anyway) in rooms that dont have as many people. We pay for them, but only have to get the 1 cheaper room.

Renting a regular car? Not happening with 3 kids...

Huh. I wonder why my two brothers and I were always tossed in the back of the Plymouth Horizon for road trips. ;)

We also survived car trips without our own cupholders and DVD players. Car bingo and a cooler of homemade stuff to eat at the rest stop was it. Ah, the good old days . . .

I thought there were some Cat 8's that sleep 5. Am I wrong?! :confused:

Tell me about it! We are a family of 5 now (when I originally started planning our cruise we were just 4) and the price certainly jumps up. The Dream has category 8's that are cheaper, the classic ships do not have that lower category that fits 5.

Oh, and congratulations! :)

Absolutely...this is how it is. Renting a regular car? Not happening with 3 kids... A regular hotel room? Nope. We were trying to figure out how we had been able to afford Disney twice or three times a year before the youngest child arrived---that is the answer: 3rd child significantly adds to vacation cost (much more so than 1 to 2). Even buying that 5th plane ticket/park ticket has pushed us to decide not to make an extra trip.

Congratulations on the baby!!! We love having 3 kids...would have loved a 4th if it had happened. Enjoy your cruise :)

LOL we're stopping after 3!

Huh. I wonder why my two brothers and I were always tossed in the back of the Plymouth Horizon for road trips. ;)

We also survived car trips without our own cupholders and DVD players. Car bingo and a cooler of homemade stuff to eat at the rest stop was it. Ah, the good old days . . .

The problem with cars is they all will have carseats... I didn't even think of renting cars though! :scared1:

I thought there were some Cat 8's that sleep 5. Am I wrong?! :confused:

Maybe they're not available anymore? All that the Wonder has right now for our cruises is 4E

Tell me about it! We are a family of 5 now (when I originally started planning our cruise we were just 4) and the price certainly jumps up. The Dream has category 8's that are cheaper, the classic ships do not have that lower category that fits 5.

Oh, and congratulations! :)

We are also a family of 5, and yes it is much more expensive. However, we are happy to have discovered DCL because there is something for everyone. :thumbsup2 My DD's are going to be 17, 12 and 7 on our upcoming cruise (4th DCL) and they all three LOVE DCL. We did one cruise as a family of 5 on Carnival and it was a disaster. We got a cabin that slept 5, picture the size of a DCL cabin, now take away the split bath and take away the seating area, and take away all the storage space, and that's what we were crammed into for 7 nights. So, we have gone from cruising once a year to cruising every other year. We also have found that it's usually less expensive to do 2 connecting cabins that it is do the ones that sleep 5, it's more comfortable too.

I'm just going to offer an alternate perspective to your "problem." What a gift to even have three children which create the dilemma.

And how wonderful that you can take a family of five on a cruise.

While I understand the extra cost, imo, you have four wonderful reasons to be thankful, not annoyed. :goodvibes

Just another view,
Dreams

Maybe they're not available anymore? All that the Wonder has right now for our cruises is 4E

Apparently, they're only on the Dream and Fantasy, which are newer ships, and therefore more expensive anyways. But, I think that even a Cat 8 on a newer ship is STILL less expensive than a Cat 4 on an older ship.

Now since you mention the Wonder, that makes me think that you're probably on the West Coast, and traveling cross country just to stay in a Cat 8 on a newer ship doesn't make any sense, because you'd spend more money on the transportation getting there than you would on the Cat 4 room. But in case you are ever wanting to go to Port Canaveral to do your cruising, you might consider going on the Dream or Fantasy so that you can take advantage of the cheaper rooms. ;)

You need to fit your sailing schedule around Kids Sail Free offers. It is still a heafty expense but it is the cheapest way to go with 3 kiddos. (Belive me, I have priced every option)

This is one of the biggest reasons I don't want to have a fourth kid - I won't be able to afford as many Disney trips! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter