WOW! Kids programs ~*~ List of interested children on page 1 ~*~

going2wdw

Praying for peace
I received the information I had requested on the education programs for kids at WDW. I got the package today and it seems almost too good to be true. The only downside is that the package is only listed as including park passes but the price with park passes makes me wonder whether I should wait and activate my DDs annual passes later. This is a sample:

5-day Prem"EAR" package
One standard Disney Y.E.S. Program
5-day Park hopper pass
Disney Y.E.S. T-shirt
choice of 1 day water or 1 day disneyquest
$133.00 per person

The price of a regular 5-day hopper pass is $230 for anyone over 10 so the cost of the package is much less and includes the class, optional pass and t-shirt - the package passes are good for quests under 22 with a group of 10 minimum. They do expire 7 days after 1st use.

Two chaperone packages are included for each group and for every 5 students one chaperone may purchase the package at the student price.

There are add-ons if we wanted to do additional classes.

The things that worry me are the brochure says it is good until Sept 30, 2001 so the prices may change. Also I do hope this is still around when we want to use it.

I do have a call in to them to ask about prices without passes and will also ask about the timing and if/when a new brochure will be available.

Here's a link to the classes offered. Disney Y.E.S site

Not sure where we need to go from here. I do think this is a very good opportunity for our kids to get to do something that we won't get a chance on other trips. Let me know who is interested and if you have a preferred class. That might get us started. We will need to wait until the convention schedule is set before we do anything.

Convention planners - is this okay or should we get with you to organize this?

*~* Annual Pass update
AP holders will only pay the "add-on" rate for the classes. A standard class is $18 and an extended class is $28. The t-shirt is an additional $5.

I'm going to add a list and I'll keep it updated as we have more interested. This will help keep the numbers and ages together. As the plans are more final we'll start deciding on classes, schedules and how to work out the passes.

*~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
DIS name ------ Age at convention
Tiger Fan DD ------ 5
bashful64 DS ------ 5
Emmy DS ------ 6
going2wdw DD#2 ------ 7
Mom-to-3 DD#2 ------ 7
bashful64 DD ------ 7
CookieGVB DS#2 ------ 8
dizkneybabe DD ------ 8
Mom-to-3 DS ------ 9
CookieGVB DS#1 ------ 9
going2wdw DD#1 ------ 10
Teri DD ------ 11
fostrmom2mny DD#2 ------ 12
fostrmom2mny DS ------ 12
Mom-to-3 DD#1 ------ 12
dizkneybabe DS ------ 12
Tiggeroo ------ 13
Tiggeroo ------ 13
CarolynNC DS ------ 15
Tiggeroo DD ------ 16
fostrmom2mny DD#1 ------ 17
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
*~

Janette
WDW
daisy.gif

[This message was edited by going2wdw on 03-18-01 at 10:46 PM.]

The $133 would be the final cost but would include the 5 day park pass. The same package with a expanded study class would be $143 and it is the most expensive. The least expensive is $99 which includes a 3 day pass and t-shirt but not the optional day. The 5 day seems to be the best value especially for the convention since that would provide park passes for Wed-Sun.

The prices may change for the next enrollment year also. We probably won't be able to do actual cost until we know how many are going to participate.

I have 2 girls 9yo & 6yo. They seemed most interested in the animation program but 6yo won't be quite old enough according to the listing (3rd grade) . There are more programs for kids 3rd - 12th grade so depending on how many are interested the younger kids may can do a different program than the older ones. That will give the older ones more selection.

Gerri - how old are your kids? Do you have preference on the class?

Janette
WDW
daisy.gif

Offsite ? - 1976, Vistana - 1988
Vistana/Contemp - June 2000, OKW - Feb 2001
BWV - DIS Convention Nov 2001
Disneyland - 1998

Thanks for the info, Janette... Hmmmm... I wish the passes were not part of it, we have APs... but my DD has already jumped up and down for joy over the idea of doing these programs. I guess we need at least 10 kids!

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

My kids was the Magic Behind the Show. Grades 6 thru 12. I know though that we need a program that will most fit ALL ages. My kids are DS 12, DD 12, and DD 17. My daughters are in special classes and their reading levels are both in the 3rd grade range, so even the younger stuff for them would work. They are both hands on and auditorial learners, so I imagine that these programs would be fantastic for them. Since I will have to do some high talking to get my DS out of classes for about a week, One of these classes may help intise the teachers' understanding and blessings :) Myself, I would think that the price that includes the passes would be a great thing for us. If enough people do this, maybe some of us could get the lower rate. If I remmeber correctly, the passes thru the convention are $202.00 each. This would actually same me some $$ even if just the kids get the price. I hope we can get at least ten kids to gaurentee that they'll do this. My three are in!!!!!!

mick_spin.gif

$133 for a 5-day hopper! Wow. The DIS Con 5-day convention hopper is $182 for ages under 10.

Looking through the web site, I couldn't tell quickly if they have to do a class every day in order to get a 5-day hopper. Also, will the DIS Con have enough kids in a certain age range?

Thank you for looking into all this stuff for us! :)

wolfgang.gif
deadpostssocietylogo.art

Mary

One class is included a standard or extended depending on the package. The standard classes are 3 hours. We will have to pick a day / days for the class and may be able to do more than one group. I think we can get 10 but the challenge will be getting groups of different interests / ages.

Janette
WDW
daisy.gif

Disneyland - 1998

[This message was edited by going2wdw on 03-02-01 at 10:35 AM.]

I found some I'd love to take and I'm sure I can get my 14 (15 at convention time) year old son interested. Count me in if this works out.

I would think there would be enough to make up several classes.

Carolyn

Tact - A keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense. Webster's Dictionary

My biggest problem is getting my 12 yr DS as hyped. The girls are excited and I've read the different classes offered to them and they have chosen for their top four choices as these. (DS says, whatever)

Disney's Animation Generation"
at Disney-MGM Studios -- best for students in grades 3 - 7

Language Arts -- 3 hours

Embark on a voyage to discover how storytelling is vital to the success of the animation process. Hands-on activities and authentic Disney production artwork are integrated with state-of-the-art Disney attractions in this program. These elements serve as the foundation for students to demonstrate creative problem-solving skills as they create pre-production storyboards.
Standard study courseDisney's World of Physics: Properties of Motion"
at Magic Kingdom -- best for students in grades 3 - 12

Mathematics & Science -- 3 hours

This interactive program casts students in the role of Theme Park scientists as they explore the Physics concept of mechanics at select Magic Kingdom attractions. Hands-on examinations and activities of the basic properties of force, motion, and gravity bring this adventure to life.
Standard study course

Magic Behind the Show" -- NEW
at Downtown Disney -- best for students in grades 6 - 12

Performing Arts -- 3 1/2 hours

During this entertainment adventure, students participate in improvisational games, study a live performance, and come to know one another as members of a creative team. Using their new knowledge, they perform a unique improvisational production

World of Outdoors"
a Disney's Wilderness Adventures Course -- best for students in grades Pre-K - 12

Wildlife Environments -- 3 hours

Discover hidden treasures in nature often missed by the untrained eye. Students learn how to observe and interpret animal behavior in the wild and gain basic outdoor skills. (This is a Disney Scout Sprit Days program designed to help Girl Scouts meet merit badge requirements.)
Standard Study Course designed to help Girl Scouts meet merit badge requirements.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I also read that even though it says that the programs are BEST suited for paticular age groups, I knoe from experiance that if kids are really interested in a certain program and close to the reccomended grade, it should work out OK for them. Our next step may be to get a show of hands on how many kids we have and then ages and which four classes sound great to them. Maybe we can find a consesis as to which ones to offer to choose from and so on. I really hope we can do this. Not on;ly does it sound fun for the kids and give them time to be indipendant and time of their own, it gives us parents a chance to have a few hours of our own. It doesn't hurt that it can save us a few $$ to boot, and a Glow in the Dark tee shirt as a souvinir for the kids :)

mick_spin.gif

I've added an interested list to the top post. Please let me know if you'd like me to add your child's name. We'll work out details as far as class selection and other things after we get a more complete list and the convention schedule is posted.

Thanks Gerri for posting some of the class descriptions. Those are some of the ones we are also most interested in.

I will be updating as soon as I have a chance to talk to Disney about the annual pass issue.

Janette
WDW
daisy.gif

Disneyland - 1998

If it is alright with Pete that we get our passes this way, rather through him,

and if we only have to do one class,

then count me in. Saving $$ is always good.

DD#1 will be 12
DS will be 9
DD#2 will be 7

wolfgang.gif
deadpostssocietylogo.art

Mary

I'm interested- but most of the classes are above my kids ages. I think DS6 would like the outdoor one for pre-k-12.
Also we all have APs also- so if we can just do the classes I would say 1 or 2 of my kids would probably go!

Emmy

My kids are too young for most of these also. If we can find some more classes for younger ones, maybe we can set up 2 programs.

<font size=4 color=navy><font face="Garamond">
<marquee>Charter Member of the Swan/Dolphin Cheerleading Team!!</marquee></font>
1997 (WDW 25th birthday) Institute Villas
1999 DxL
2000 WL and Swan!!!

Do they have classes for kids as young as four (will be almost five at convention)? Just wondering if there is anything for my little one. Thanks.

Lisa

sticker.gif

The youngest option is pre-K so 5 would be old enough. That is "World of Outdoors", there is also a "Ranch Encounter" with the the start listed as K so that would probably be okay. These look like the only two choices for the 4-5 age range.
One of these would probably be a good option for the younger kids.

Janette
WDW
daisy.gif

Disneyland - 1998

*~* Annual Pass update
AP holders will only pay the "add-on" rate for the classes. A standard class is $18 and an extended class is $28. The t-shirt is an additional $5.

I also asked about kids with special needs and they said that is no problem. We do have to have chaperones and can have extra if a child needs one on one assistance.

I think these classes well worth this price. This is something we wouldn't be able to do on most family trips so I'm looking forward to this opportunity.

Janette

Hi!

The passes you have listed here are for Disney's youth programs such as scout groups, youth group field trips, etc....

So we can not get these passes as we would have had to book the whole trip as a youth group which we are not. Plus the youth groups are not set up to handle conventions like we are having, for example they do not offer all the special events that we are planning such as the Illuminations Dessert Party.

Now it maybe possible to add some of the special youth day programs to our convention if there is enough interest. I will check on this when I'm in WDW next week and let you know.

Linda

Linda
flowerface.GIF

Family Board Host

Coordinator Dis Convention 2001

This annual pass holder info is great for us. If this works out, Emily would be old enough for the Ranch Encounter and the Outdoor one too. I know she would love the Ranch one as we spent a morning at Tri-Circle Ranch in January and I think she liked that more than the parks. Keep us posted.

Lisa

sticker.gif

Well, reading Linda's response makes me think we can't get the reduced price passes this way. If that's the case, I don't want to do a class. I'm sorry. :(

wolfgang.gif
deadpostssocietylogo.art

Mary

Linda, these are for youth groups but not limited to school or scouts. The brochure says they are available exclusively to K-12 student groups of 10 or more. I did mention to them today that we were going to be there as part of a convention and from various parts of the country they didn't indicate that would create an exclusion.

The discounted passes are only for the class participants and would not include others from the convention. The passes are optional but the classes do require park admission so for those that do need passes it would be a better deal for them.

Janette

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter