Wow, I can't believe how much things went up in just one year!

AngieInOH

DIS Veteran
For the heck of it I priced out the same trip we took in Jan 2016 for Jan 2017. Wow for 8 nights at AoA with Dining Plan the price went up $630... almost a 10% increase. I wish these price hikes would slow down a bit. I'm really wanting to make it back in 2019. Here's to hoping!! :thumbsup2

No speaches on Supply vs Demand....I get it, even if I don't like it.

I did the same thing last week, but I compared our 2009 trip. Same week in January, same resort, same number and ages of kids, same tickets, same dining plan. The price difference was more than double! I know our income hasn't come close to doubling since 2009. Lol! Wow.

Well I will tell you that for All-Star Movies it wasn't a huge hike at all. I started planing in 2015 for my 2017 trip so I used 2016 pricing to get an idea.

September 16th-September 25th 2016=$1,229.44 for two adults and that includes tax for 1 room
September 15th-September 24th 2017=$1,258.82 for two adults and that includes tax for 1 room

The difference is $29.38 or an increase of around 2.4%

It could be higher increase in dining (as I don't do the dining plan I didn't pay attention to the difference in price between 2016's prices and 2017's prices) or AoA took a high price increase.

ETA: no way to know though if pricing will increase at a higher amount in the coming years especially due to all that is opening in the next few years.

I did the same thing last week, but I compared our 2009 trip. Same week in January, same resort, same number and ages of kids, same tickets, same dining plan. The price difference was more than double! I know our income hasn't come close to doubling since 2009. Lol! Wow.

We also went in 2009...... it certainly is sticker shock!!!

Here's my numbers: 2 Adults 3 Childeren (1 child considered adult)

AoA 8 nights 2016 $2,695.52 2017 $2,929.50 Difference $233.98
8 Day Tickets 2016 $1,801.63 2017 $1,987.88 Difference $186.25
Dining 2016 $1,819.52 2017 $2,003.44 Difference $183.92
Park Hopper 2016 $340.80 2017 $367.45 Difference $26.65

AoA 8 nights 2016 $2,695.52 2017 $2,929.50 Difference $233.98
8 Day Tickets 2016 $1,801.63 2017 $1,987.88 Difference $186.25
Dining 2016 $1,819.52 2017 $2,003.44 Difference $183.92
Park Hopper 2016 $340.80 2017 $367.45 Difference $26.65
With all due respect your original post you stated "8 nights at AoA with Dining Plan the price went up $630... almost a 10%"

You didn't mention anything about tickets being included.

You can purchase a ticketless package that only includes room and dining.

Also if you went in Jan 2016 then you would have purchased tickets prior to Disney increasing their prices in 2016. Park tickets increased in Feb 2016.

My figures above were just for the room charges. I already bought tickets in Jan/Feb 2016 for our 2017 so I got my tickets before the ticket increase.

Apologies here but your original post sounded more like you saw increases in room rates (as you called out AoA in particular) along with dining plan rates between your two years rather than the whole package rate (which in your figures includes park tickets) being much higher.

Last edited:
With all due respect your original post you stated "8 nights at AoA with Dining Plan the price went up $630... almost a 10%"

Ooops shame on me I didn't add that it also included tickets. Still across the board approx a 10% increase.

Ooops shame on me I didn't add that it also included tickets. Still across the board approx a 10% increase.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not (but saying "shame on me" sounds sarcastic) and if you're being sarcastic it's not really needed here.

I have absolutely no problem in joining in on venting with price increases believe me but it does help if people know the details including:
~if you had a full package
~if all your children were under children prices in Jan 2016 or if one would be bumped up to adult prices if 10 or older (and surcharges for room rates if your child is now 18) when comparing 2016 to 2017
~when the last price increase was (as tickets did increase after your Jan trip that is part of the equation)
~has Disney updated any of their pricing seasons so your trip fell on a different pricing scale even if going the same time as the year before
~what Dining plan did you get,etc.

If you don't want to figure out where the price increases are coming from and just want sympathy for having to spend more money than the previous year that's fine too. You did state: "No speaches on Supply vs Demand....I get it, even if I don't like it." seems like you know how varied the responses can be when one brings up price increases over time.

You can purchase a ticketless package that only includes room and dining.

Also if you went in Jan 2016 then you would have purchased tickets prior to Disney increasing their prices in 2016. Park tickets increased in Feb 2016.

My figures above were just for the room charges. I already bought tickets in Jan/Feb 2016 for our 2017 so I got my tickets before the ticket increase.

Apologies here but your original post sounded more like you saw increases in room rates (as you called out AoA in particular) along with dining plan rates between your two years rather than the whole package rate (which in your figures includes park tickets) being much higher.

I just assumed she meant tickets she said "trip" which to me means the entire bundle but either way the point was it went up 10%.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not (but saying "shame on me" sounds sarcastic) and if you're being sarcastic it's not really needed here.

I have absolutely no problem in joining in on venting with price increases believe me but it does help if people know the details including:
~if you had a full package
~if all your children were under children prices in Jan 2016 or if one would be bumped up to adult prices if 10 or older (and surcharges for room rates if your child is now 18) when comparing 2016 to 2017
~when the last price increase was (as tickets did increase after your Jan trip that is part of the equation)
~has Disney updated any of their pricing seasons so your trip fell on a different pricing scale even if going the same time as the year before
~what Dining plan did you get,etc.

If you don't want to figure out where the price increases are coming from and just want sympathy for having to spend more money than the previous year that's fine too. You did state: "No speaches on Supply vs Demand....I get it, even if I don't like it." seems like you know how varied the responses can be when one brings up price increases over time.

Geez, moody much? I think we can all use our little brains to figure out that she is talking about a full package.

I just assumed she meant tickets she said "trip" which to me means the entire bundle but either way the point was it went up 10%.
Well yes I would say tickets are included as a trip but you don't have to get tickets from Disney you can get them elsewhere and still have a package. Either way 10% is a vague way of describing the increase you are seeing.

ETA: Is it strictly because of Disney price increases? Is everything 10% or is one thing significantly more than another? Is there a reason the price would have gone up regardless of Disney price increase such as ages of the children, pricing seasons, etc.

I was pointing that out. It's cool either way if the post was meant to be a "hey vent about Disney prices continuing to go up" or if it was meant as a "hey what's the deal here"

OP, I understood you to mean the price of a trip- tickets, hotel, dining. That kind of a price increase is insane. We hedge against that inflation by staying offsite, eating some meals off site, and buying tickets through park savers. I can't believe they are getting away with these price increases.

I find it very difficult to compare costs from year to year for our family. So many variables change. I've never booked at rack rate and the discounts have varied every year...and some years we've gotten a PIN/UOC code to use towards our trip...and other than the year we got free dining and it was a better savings for our family than any other discount at that time, we pay out-of-pocket for our food so that cost varies greatly depending on where we decide to eat that trip....sometimes we travel with 3 kids...sometimes with 5....sometimes we get 2 rooms, sometimes a suite....sometimes we do a private fireworks cruise, sometimes we don't....an the list goes on and on. It's almost impossible to compare apples to apples for our Disney trips. For me, there's no real point to comparing year-to-year -- it will just be depressing as I know the trip we took in 2004 with 5 kids was less than half the cost of our trip this year with 5 kids. All that really matters to me is getting the best price I can when we go.

I do feel the frustration of prices constantly increasing, though. I know that QS food prices increased 2 or 3 times across the board between June 2015 and June 2016.

ETA: Just for fun I went back and found the original quote from our TA for our June 2016 trip. The quote was rack rate -- no discounts were available at the time we were booking. Then I went to the Disney site and plugged in the same dates, room, and tickets for June 2017. It's a 7.9% increase for our trip. That being said, after going through several general public discounts and finally using a UOC, we saved a little more than 15% on room and tickets than the original rack rate quote (which saved us about $1000 on those components). It will be interesting to see what the discounts are for late June 2017.

Last edited:
Well yes I would say tickets are included as a trip but you don't have to get tickets from Disney you can get them elsewhere and still have a package. Either way 10% is a vague way of describing the increase you are seeing.

ETA: Is it strictly because of Disney price increases? Is everything 10% or is one thing significantly more than another? Is there a reason the price would have gone up regardless of Disney price increase such as ages of the children, pricing seasons, etc.

I was pointing that out. It's cool either way if the post was meant to be a "hey vent about Disney prices continuing to go up" or if it was meant as a "hey what's the deal here"
If your on the dining plan you have to have tickets through Disney unless you're dvc and AoA is not a dvc resort.

ah, 2009. We also went in 2009 during the recession when Disney was begging people to vacation there. We got a sweet deal of buy 3 nights, get 4 free so we splurged on club level at the Poly. It was fabulous. I wish they offered those deals now!

ah, 2009. We also went in 2009 during the recession when Disney was begging people to vacation there. We got a sweet deal of buy 3 nights, get 4 free so we splurged on club level at the Poly. It was fabulous. I wish they offered those deals now!

We got that awesome deal as well! And then in 2011, I got a PIN for Free Dining in late June...unheard of at that time to have Free Dining during the summer.

I guess maybe I didn't spell it out but the 2016 and 2017 amounts were based on 2 adults 3 children (one of which is considered an adult). Also, all the figures I put down were Rack Rates. No discounts (even though I did apply a discount on my 2016 trip).

I was just making a general comment about the price increases because I was suprised it was so significant. I think we can all feel the pain. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter