WOW!!! 3rd Ship

tam012864

DIS Veteran
This is an article in the Florida today paper...Disney Officials speaking of a
third ship..
http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/moneystoryMAIN0203DISNEY1.htm

How cool!!!!!

"Waiting for a favorable exchange rate"... It may be alongggggggg time. :hourglass

If they base a ship out of Cali, will they still have a private island? I wonder if there are any islands Disney has it's eye on?

Lynderella said:
Jocelyn, the woman who helps you rebook on board, said it wasn't expected until 2008.

That may well be right. If they started it today, a new ship wouldn't be in service until almost 2007. Seeing as they haven't even signed a contract with a shipyard, it is very likely they won't start building until (at least) next year, making 2008 about right.

In reality, this isn't anything new to us - it's the same song and dance we've been getting for a long time -- now its just more public (which isn't a bad thing)

LIFERBABE said:
If they base a ship out of Cali, will they still have a private island? I wonder if there are any islands Disney has it's eye on?
Whatever island they get won't be off the coast of California - it would probably have to be off of the coast of Mexico. But if they ever considered cruises to Alaska, they then couldn't include trips to the private island if it were off the coast of Mexico (or even Calif. since they'd be cruising to Alaska out of Seattle or Vancouver).

It's too bad they wouldn't consider building it here. There are so many shipyards that have the space necessary, the people with the skills, and this country needs the work! There is enought room to build in San Pedro, Norfolk, Bath, Portsmouth, and in Alabama/Mississippi. They have already dry docked in Norfolk, so they are familiar with that ship yard. I think it's a shame that they don't try to spend the money at home. Our economy could use the teeny boost.

Well, I'm excited to hear they're making more public and am thrilled to hear California mentioned as a port. It's about time.

mickeyfan1 said:
It's too bad they wouldn't consider building it here. There are so many shipyards that have the space necessary, the people with the skills, and this country needs the work! There is enought room to build in San Pedro, Norfolk, Bath, Portsmouth, and in Alabama/Mississippi. They have already dry docked in Norfolk, so they are familiar with that ship yard. I think it's a shame that they don't try to spend the money at home. Our economy could use the teeny boost.

It would be SOOOO cool if they built it in Portsmouth!! We could go visit it every weekend. Wanna come with me Marsha?? ROAD TRIP!!!!

I'm so there! I even have a free room anytime, one of my sisters lives in Williamsburg.

Bath Maine is also a nice place, just to damn cold right now!

mickeyfan1 said:
I'm so there! I even have a free room anytime, one of my sisters lives in Williamsburg.

Bath Maine is also a nice place, just to damn cold right now!

Cool! :cool1:

A Disney ship docked in Seattle :earseek: I could see it from my parents livingroom!!! Now that would be cool. :cloud9: We all will just have to wait and see what happens. :rolleyes1

BY DONNA BALANCIA
FLORIDA TODAY

Disney Cruise Line is expected to play an increasingly important role at The Walt Disney Co., company executives said Wednesday.

That includes a third cruise ship to add to the Disney fleet that now includes the Magic and the Wonder, both based at Port Canaveral.

"We have the designs for the new ship," Walt Disney World President Al Weiss said. "It's just a matter of waiting for a favorable exchange rate."

One of the three ships likely would be based in California.

Most large cruise ships are built in Europe, and with the dollar's weakness against the euro, Weiss said now is not the best time to be buying a ship. Weiss and other high-ranking Disney officials were in Orlando on Wednesday to meet with Central Florida business leaders.

The cruise industry is a vital component of a $1 billion-a-year tourism industry in Brevard County. Disney Cruise Line has about 3,000 employees on the ships, at Port Canaveral and in the Orlando area. Disney -- which employs about 54,000 people at its Orlando-area attractions -- is Central Florida's largest employer.

As Disney prepares for the 50th anniversary of Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif., all theme parks and properties will get an infusion of new attractions or features. As part of the 18-month-long anniversary celebration, the Disney Magic will be deployed to the Port of Los Angeles from May through September and will offer seven-day voyages through the Mexican Riviera.

It is a dry run for putting another ship into action. The company's projections for success are so high, the only thing that's keeping them from adding a ship right now is money.

Weiss said the cruise ships combine the best of all worlds, because of the "immersion" of the visitor into the full Disney experience.

"The ships are where we experience the highest customer satisfaction," he said. "The visitors get a chance to have total immersion in the Disney experience. The children can experience the great Disney programs, and the cruises are great for families."

On May 14, the Disney Magic will depart from Port Canaveral on a 14-day "repositioning cruise" to the Port of Los Angeles at San Pedro. It will make port-of-call stops in the Bahamas, Curacao, Acapulco, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. Beginning May 28, and ending in August, Magic will sail seven-night trips from California to Mexican ports of call. Then, the Magic will offer another 14-day repositioning cruise, returning to Port Canaveral Sept. 3.

Lou Liebig, a self-proclaimed "Disney freak" from Suntree, said he and his wife are taking a seven-day Disney cruise from California to Mexico.

"We love the cruises," Liebig said. "We've been on all the different legs they have available. We knew they were going to offer these cruises in California, so my wife and I decided to go."

It's repeat customers like the Liebig family that the cruise line depends on.

Travel representative Adrienne Anderson of Gadabout Travel said she anticipated similar deals to what the company offers in Florida.

"They're probably going to offer land-and-sea packages," she said. "Cruises are a great value. You unpack once but visit multiple destinations."

Analysts say it is worth the wait, rather than investing the possibly hundreds of millions of dollars into one ship now.

"It's no surprise Disney is moving ships around," said Marilyn Green, cruise editor of Travel Trade magazine of New York City. "The gap between the euro and the dollar is pretty daunting. If you go to London, your lunch money goes on a cup of coffee. That gives you an idea of how crucial it is the company to conserve. Disney's ships in general have been quite expensive because of the bells and whistles. Clearly, they haven't gotten the deal they want yet. That's why they're moving ships around, rather than adding one."

Pretty much the same thing we've been hearing. During the bridge tour on our September cruise, the cast memeber told us that most of the designing was done, though he gave away very little detail. Other than to say if the new ship is bigger it would be height wise, adding a deck or two. They will still probably build it to go through the panama canal.

It is an exciting thought to have a third ship to choose from. From what I've read other places and hear from senior crew members, building cruise ships in the US is simply way too expensive. We as a nation have apparently priced ourselves out of that market. Which is too bad. Apparently that's why companies like NCL bought the SS United States. They can re-furbish it (someday) overseas, but because they will use the foundations of the ship which were built in the US, they can sail it to places like Hawaii that have regulations about only ships built and registered in the US, sailing to their ports.

i am glad they are moving ahead. I know its the same story, but it's good they have gone public with it.

How many ships are built in the US? I have always seen them built elsewhere. The Euro was gaining ground early last week, but have not heard anything since (probably not a good sign)....

I don't think Disney will be doing an Alaskan cruise from them saying it will be based in California. They will probably do the same as in Florida with the land/sea packages.

Anyone know of some islands for sale on the left coast that would be close enough to reach in one day??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter