Would you rather live in the home you live in currently forever or leave tomorrow and never return?

I love where we live and our house. We have good available health care, wonderful neighbors, and a good international airport about 1 hour away and a regional one even closer. I realize we will need to downsize and simplify at some point. At least for now we have a 1 story, no stairs, and we have a bathroom that could be easily made more accessible if either of us ends up using a wheelchair.

If I leave and never return, am I giving up all of my things too, or is someone else packing and moving them for me? Where am I going? Do I have to live in a hotel until I find a new house, or has someone purchased my dream home for me already?

I am fine with my current home. I have no plans to move until the kids graduate (which is not soon). But I do plan to leave eventually.

If someone offered me an opportunity to live in a nicer house for the same price I am paying to live here (I have one in mind that I love and is currently for rent, but way out of my price range) I would take it and not look back. I am not in love with this house, nor sentimentally attached.

If those are the only choices, I'll stay and keep traveling often. But if you ask me the same question a few years from now, the answer would be completely different. I like the town we live in and love our house, but the location leaves much to be desired and we do plan to move on once the last of the kids has left the nest.

Remodeled 7 years ago with the intent of this being my first and last house.
But I am 63 and have lived in 4 places.
Lived here 37 years now.
Lived in a condo for a year
Lived in two houses with my parents.

Come by staying in the same house honestly. My mom lived in her last house 53 years, and her previous house 10 years.
And my wife is an Air Force Brat, she never ever ever ever wants to move again.

We like where we live; we wouldn't live here if we didn't. We don't have any sentimental attachment to it though. If the right situation presented itself we could happily walk away and never look back.

We've been in this house for 22 years. It's larger than we need, but we're fine with that and can afford the additional cost. DW just retired, so we're getting ready to remodel our kitchen. Other than that, the house is perfect -- great neighborhood, wonderful neighbors who have become close friends, beautiful home and pool. And because we've been here for a long time, our mortgage payment is very manageable.

We love the place -- in fact, we marvel daily at what a beautiful home it is -- and have no reason to even consider moving.

I should point out the financial incentive not to move in California. Property taxes are set at 1% of what you paid for your house, with a 2% increase in that tax the maximum allowed. Trading down could easily double my property taxes, if not triple.

I should point out the financial incentive not to move in California. Property taxes are set at 1% of what you paid for your house, with a 2% increase in that tax the maximum allowed. Trading down could easily double my property taxes, if not triple.
I read that as an incentive to not move within California -- not necessarily as an incentive not to move at all.

You could come to Florida and have your taxes constitutionally capped at 1% for local govt, 1% for schools. Oh...and 0% property tax to the state.

Goodbye. A legal issue with a neighbor has us very serious about moving as of about a year ago - except for said legal issue means we can't sell the house (we'd lose a ton of value).

So much irony in that...

I read that as an incentive to not move within California -- not necessarily as an incentive not to move at all.

You could come to Florida and have your taxes constitutionally capped at 1% for local govt, 1% for schools. Oh...and 0% property tax to the state.
Well, but you have hurricanes and covid in Florida.

I would leave here in a heartbeat, back to the big city. Just me in a little rowhouse surrounded by the things I've collected. And maybe a cat.

That depends on where I am going when I leave. I am not really attached the house I live in now. In fact there are several things I would change money no object. So if I get to move from this house to a new house with the changes I would make to this house, in a decent neighborhood, I'd move in a minute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!