Would you pull your kids out of school for a Disney vacation?

We did take ours out of school when they were younger and I wish NOW that I had done it more often. I have 2 in high school and it is impossible to take them out now due to classes and sports schedules. I would but can't. We are taking them out at the end of the school year this year after sports and testing are complete.

I see the point of view that education trumps Disney and I agree, but since mine are getting older I'm realizing how few "family" trips we might have left and am trumping education with family times and memories. Breaks my heart to think I have only a few of these precious times left.:grouphug:

I have done it several times and have no qualms about doing it again. It's not even a concern for me.

I am the child of a teacher and my mother would let me skip school just to spend the day with my dad growing up. I can't tell you what I missed in school but I can tell you how much I cherish those special times with my dad.

We did it in 2013 2014 and will again in 2015. I try to make it only 2 - 3 days they miss, planning around a 3 or 4 day weekend.

You could try going during Hanukkah. It's not an officially mandated US holiday so the crowds are low, but schools cut way back on the work load and I've never seen them give tests during that week.

Yes, I have about 1/2 dozen times.

I've also pulled myself out as well. :teacher:

My kids will be in kindergarten and fifth grade when we pull them out for a week this fall. :)

This is my first year since I've had kids that I'm not a schoolteacher, so I'm really looking forward to traveling during a time other than school breaks.

You could try going during Hanukkah. It's not an officially mandated US holiday so the crowds are low, but schools cut way back on the work load and I've never seen them give tests during that week.

This may work in same areas but not all- depends on the local Jewish population- in my entire high school class (around 350 people) we had one Jewish student- needless to say our teachers didn't modify much for Hanukkah and we had plenty of tests that week- in fact it tended to be finals week so even harder to miss school then.

Is that district policy? That seems strange- why wouldn't they want kids to be prepared for when they come back?

like hcox31 said I believe it's due to the teaching that has to happen before the child can do the work on their own. We just ended up doing two weeks of homework in one week which wasn't bad. I'd actually rather make it up after than have to take the work with us on vacation honestly!!!

We did take ours out of school when they were younger and I wish NOW that I had done it more often. I have 2 in high school and it is impossible to take them out now due to classes and sports schedules. I would but can't. We are taking them out at the end of the school year this year after sports and testing are complete.

I see the point of view that education trumps Disney and I agree, but since mine are getting older I'm realizing how few "family" trips we might have left and am trumping education with family times and memories. Breaks my heart to think I have only a few of these precious times left.:grouphug:

I have done it several times and have no qualms about doing it again. It's not even a concern for me.

I am the child of a teacher and my mother would let me skip school just to spend the day with my dad growing up. I can't tell you what I missed in school but I can tell you how much I cherish those special times with my dad.

This and this exactly! We went down the week before Christmas break. Took the kids out of school and off we went. All teachers knew where they were going and did not even question it. Our oldest 2 are in high school and our 8 yr old is in 3rd grade. We wanted our boys to see Disney with all the lights and decorations for Christmas. It was worth it, every bit of it. My oldest 2 are growing up fast and before they run off, get jobs and get busy with life, we took them on one last Disney trip. They can always make up the school work they missed but I can NOT replace the memories that were made and the time that we got to spend with them. :goodvibes

To each their own. What works for one family may not for others. For me; Being a single Dad. I had always taken my daughter to WDW, in May, for her birthday.That began at age 4 through age 21. Grades K-12, I always requested to have her miss a week of school. Work assignments were given either before our departure or during vacation. College years were not a problem. Finals had either just finished or we would move our plans back by a few days.

Some family and friends would chime in with their opinion from time to time.I would give it my normal consideration. Then do what I consider to be in the best interest, for me and my daughter. Family time is as important, if not more so, then many things we do in our lives. :thumbsup2

I regret not taking them out more often in elementary (did it maybe twice)? Once the oldest got to middle school, anything more than a day or two was just too much work to make up. Ds16 plays varsity soccer, and practices start up a month before school starts in September, so we are very limited, and it's just going to get worse, factoring in dd18's college schedule.

I think elementary school is fine, but I don't think you should expect the work ahead of time (nice if the teacher does it, but taking a vacation during school shouldn't be more work for the teacher).

We've done it in the past for our early-mid May trips with no issue when the boys were in elementary/middle school. Both boys are bright and in the case of my eldest who doesn't do well with standard, daily homework assignments due to learning disabilities, teachers were eager to have an excuse to assess him on longer-term, independent projects.

Now that the eldest is in high school we've been less willing only because this school is less forgiving about missing lectures and tests. However, because he opted out of our last trip (at the end of his freshman year) we're planning to take them both out this November on a big family trip to celebrate their birthdays (the 16th and 21st turning 12 and 18 respectively), some major accomplishments and personal growth for all of us (like my husband and I finding work after a long drought) as well as celebrate my FIL coming back to health after a stroke.

Knowing that my eldest has been able to make connections to art schools that want him and his grades are stabilizing helps. Also, while his school is unforgiving about missing tests, they never give tests the week before Thanksgiving because most of his school (very rich kids) are on vacations during that time anyway. My youngest is in leadership positions in his school and involved with quite a few clubs and has proven his ability to keep up with work despite the extra-curriculars. We had considered taking them out in early December when the prices and crowds are a bit low, but we know both schools make a push for finals during that time and our youngest will likely have end of semester concerts and plays scheduled too.

ultimately, you have to do what's right for your own kid and your own family. A school will always say that they want the kids in class, although some of that is self-protection since attendance rates can mean a lot for funding and accountability purposes. I am also quite sympathetic to the extra time and work this may create for teachers. However, I've found that fostering a good relationship with the school, the teachers and the administration helps. At this point both school admins know a lot about what our family has been through in the past few years and one actually applauded our decision to take a vacation to celebrate. So, I'm hopeful that any problems will be resolved painlessly.

That said, this year we're going to be planning a "work then play" day as part of our vacation. We'll play for a few days, taking breaks during the day to write up some notes of what we did, etc and then plan a day where we stay at the hotel and get caught up on assigned projects and homework, so we aren't scrambling at the last minute to finish all of this. If they get it done, they get a special reward.

We have, many times, and will continue to do so.

I have to chuckle at those who say they would NEVER, or it would depend on if the school district doesn't allow it. Or that vacations can't be educational.

First, these are YOUR children. You do what you feel is best for them. I was taken out of school for vacations because my parents felt travel was just as much a part of education as school is. Being taken out of school didn't harm me in any way. I became a successful adult. I hold a fantastic job and am able to care for my family very well. Missing 5 days of school for vacation won't harm your child in any measurable way in the grand scheme of life.

Think of it in another way. Let's say your kid misses on average 4-5 days of school each year for being sick. Did it in some way cause them to be harmed? NO!

We have, many times, and will continue to do so. I have to chuckle at those who say they would NEVER, or it would depend on if the school district doesn't allow it. Or that vacations can't be educational. First, these are YOUR children. You do what you feel is best for them. I was taken out of school for vacations because my parents felt travel was just as much a part of education as school is. Being taken out of school didn't harm me in any way. I became a successful adult. I hold a fantastic job and am able to care for my family very well. Missing 5 days of school for vacation won't harm your child in any measurable way in the grand scheme of life. Think of it in another way. Let's say your kid misses on average 4-5 days of school each year for being sick. Did it in some way cause them to be harmed? NO!
You cannot compare illness to a Disney vacation. It's laughable!

First of all, school is a priority in our home. Unless there is a funny circumstance they will not be taken out. There is no room for discussion.

School is very much a priority in our home as well. My DS11 is in an accelerated learning enrichment school. And my DS6 will be going to that same school next year when she's old enough to enroll.

I'm not comparing it to sickness, simply that missing school, whether for illness or vacation, does not irreparably harm a child. That's all I'm saying. Last time we pulled our son out of school, he did all the homework he'd miss in one night, before we left for vacation, AND, still ended the year with a 99% overall average. Obviously it didn't harm him at all.

Our schools are closed for 3 days the week of Presidents day, so we are taking them out the other two days of that week, and going again. Surprise trip. And missing two days of school won't hurt either of them, or their grades!

Stating there's no room for discussion, on an online forum, is silly. That's precisely what we're doing, discussing different view points.

Precisely...there's more to life (and learning,) than just school.

We leave in a week and I am pulling my 10th grader (who is also missing a show choir competition, a jazz band competition, and a jazz band concert), a 7th grade (who has special educational needs), and I also have a 4th grader and 1st grader (who I homeschool). I am not giving it a second thought....they will thrive! There is no good time for everyone (especially with a high schooler in every activity there is, lol!) so we did our best.

Life is short and I don't want to look back someday wishing I spent more fun times with them!

Your child will never get through homework as quick as when they leave for vacation and are missing school. My two older children did a weeks worth of math before dinner was even served.

Taking my kids out of school is special to me. I don't fully understand why, but perhaps it feels like a stolen moment.

I would absolutely do it, even if I didn't homeschool. But be very certain of the truancy laws in your state. You agree to follow them when you put your kid in public school and there are some states (like Texas) that WILL take you to court if your kids miss more than 5 days of school.
Now, our local school district sent home a letter to the parents of all 3rd graders saying they will not be allowed to take vacations between now and the pass/fail state testing in March. To be honest, that would have made me WANT to take my kids out just to dare them to tell me what I'm "allowed" to do with my kids. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter