Worst part of your job

Being overlooked on promotions simply because I didn’t buddy up to management. I was ranked #1 in at my job for my shift and yet I was stuck in my position (that I hated) for years.

This is an interesting topic. For the past couple years I've been really in a bad mood about going into work. I couldn't place where it was coming from so I blamed it on a supervisor who started shortly before my mood changed. Well now I have been working from home for 7 months and I know what the issue was. It is all the nonsense questions, meaningless chitchat and office drama. I have been a the same position for 17 years and I think over time I just got sick of all that and it came to light a couple years ago (or just got worse). I am so much happier at home and not having to deal with that stuff on a day to day basis. And, the supervisor I blamed my bad mood on, I like her now :)

Grading papers (especially research papers and essays - they take forever) and getting up at 5:45 am.

The admin jumps from one latest greatest program to another and never give one a chance to fully develop. And of course there's extensive training with each new program, most of which is spent "selling" the staff on the program when we have no choice in the matter anyway.

^^ I agree. We refer to that as the 'flavor of the month'. Management goes to some seminar or hears about another company doing something amazing and then tries to drop it into how we operate. Rarely can you implement a small piece of what another company does and be successful without all of the other practices associated with it. With further research, you often find out that the other company is doing more boasting/selling of the concept vs. what has actually brought real results. Personnel partly justifies their existence by pushing new/different mandatory training every year.

Drama among co-workers is at the top of my list, its like high school all over again for some people that never seem to grow up! I'm an occupational therapist and I mainly work with newly injured spinal cord injury patients. I love my job, but the other worst and saddest part is when I meet with new patients for the first time, a lot of them are always consumed by depression, despair, and feeling completely lost. Its hard to see so many people of all ages going through their lowest moments and struggling to find hope. However, the best part for me personally is when they quickly feel a connection to me when they realize I was once in the exact same place mentally, and put their trust in me to help them adjust to a new normal.

second would be watching mediocre employees get praise. Wish my company rewarded merit.
It's not mediocre workers here, it's just salary folk that gets praise.

My department coordinator says to me, "We need to make colors." (our main product is either white or black and my small department makes colors as a premium product.)

Ok, red, green, blue, purple, brown, charcoal, silver? Which color? Red. Oh, OK, we'll make red then. regular or fire retardant? Regular. What grade, 27, 29, 30, 37, 42? Ah, Detroit needs 29 material. Great, how much, a supersac of material? A truckload? 2 truckloads.....

Then quantity changes every time and I'm producing 3-4 times the original order and they've added 3 other colors. Takes me a month, I'm working 11-12 hour days getting it out while the coordinator goes home every day at 3. I'm not doing anything this weekend and I can use the money so I work Saturday and Sunday both one weekend to get the order completed.

Then later on I am on the floor talking with the plant manager when coordinator boy walks up. Plant manager turns his back on me and tells the coordinator what and awesome job he is doing getting all these color orders out. And the coordinator says, "Hey, no problem."

It was 100% degrees in the place.

The hours - it had it's pros and cons.

Many people just not doing their job and getting away with it.

Retired early/babysitting grandma here :)

It was hard to pick just one but I'll go with the lack of respect for the mid level workers. The customers give a lot of static to those of us who have no control and Management just adds to it. Managers criticize and micromanage and those under them become numbers that have to make numbers. They rarely help and never offer anything constructive.

Drama among co-workers is at the top of my list, its like high school all over again for some people that never seem to grow up! I'm an occupational therapist and I mainly work with newly injured spinal cord injury patients. I love my job, but the other worst and saddest part is when I meet with new patients for the first time, a lot of them are always consumed by depression, despair, and feeling completely lost. Its hard to see so many people of all ages going through their lowest moments and struggling to find hope. However, the best part for me personally is when they quickly feel a connection to me when they realize I was once in the exact same place mentally, and put their trust in me to help them adjust to a new normal.
:flower3: Bless you for this monumental contribution you are making to their lives and the inspiration you provide them.

When I worked in a medical records office, it was the constant knife in my back from co-workers who gave me the okay to do something, like send a bill to a lawyer's office for getting copies of records or send out a subpoena to a doctor's office for their records, only to deny it when something went awry.

My job was to look over the records and then enter what they were into the computer database and enter what was done with them before sending them to the mail room to be mailed out to lawyers mostly. Before I did so, I had to show the records or photos or whatever to the employee handling the case for their instructions. This is where the knife went in, because inevitably they'd blame me if a lawyer refused payment for records even though they'd told me to bill them or tell the supervisor they never told me to call the doctor's office to see if they had records. It got so bad that I started making little notes in the computer, "instructions per 'so-and-so' on such-and-such date" to protect myself, and making the person put their initials under mine on the okayed records cover sheet. This did not make me popular, because I wouldn't be the office toady that took all the knives in the back and kept my mouth shut.

I worked there for six months or so in the early 90s before I'd had enough and quit to try my hand at freelance illustration and design, which I loved and did successfully for many years.

I work work in state government. I think it might be all government employees being painted with the broad brush of the "they never do anything and just sit there, earning a salary on the tax payer's back" mentality. I assure you, we work. Next would be people assuming that we are an entitlement program, and if we deny services, it's something personal, and we're not doing our jobs correctly, etc. So I guess being judged by policies you had no part in making.

Prior to my current job, I was in a different position where I was still considered a state employee, but all our policies and the majority of our funding was actually federal. The running joke was, "Yeah, that [policy/rule] could be changed, but it would take an act of congress. Literally."

Nothing. I am fortunate to work with a great bunch of guys, I'm paid decently for that I do, and I find the work interesting. We will have stressful customers or situations from time to time but that is simply part of life. I know I'm exceedingly lucky and I am thankful for it every day!

1. Monitoring a Facebook page and 2. being the buffer between boss and some cantankerous folks who argue and question everything.

I'm retired, but loved my job. The hard part was when someone would ask: What is your occupation? The reaction of disdain when I'd reply: I'm an Insurance Underwriter of Automobile, Home, Marine ie

People need insurance, some even want to be insured, but most do not want to pay for it!

And, meetings that were non productive.

I work retail. I hate a lot of things about this job now. People, we're dealing with a virus! Please if I tell you I can't take that gabarge, stop yelling at me. If I ask you to take the stuff out of a bag, stop making faces at me. If I tell you that you need to line up over there, stop yelling at me. If I ask you to wait for me to clean off the counter, step back. Give me a chance to clean - I don't want to get sick and I'm sure you don't want to get sick either. Please put your mask on properly too - it should cover your mouth and nose. I can manage to wear one for 8 hours, you can handle it for a little while. I really don't want to bring any germs home to my 95 year old father either.

Please remember most retail workers make minimum wage and have little to no input into store protocols, Stop yelling at us and demanding to see a manager.

Seniority.

I will always be middle of the pack. I got in about 3-5 years too late. I will never have Saturday/Sunday off. I will eventually hit Sunday/Monday off but I doubt ever get Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday.

We’re all forced out at age 56 and the people who have 3-5 years on me are around the same age so we’ll leave at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter