Working the System - A NYE PTR - Link to TR is up! 1/13

And back at work, and school. BOO! :eek:

Actually it's fine:rotfl:, the blessing of a nice long lovely trip is you are a bit ready to come home and face the real world. Which really is the point of vacation isn't it? Having it be a short work week doesn't hurt either.

I've lots of pictures to sort through between all the various devices and people and upload (I am guessing about 1400 between our phones, camera and photopass but my mother may well have that many on her own!) and well, given that we left with the entire house decorated for Christmas...the de-decorating has to take precedence. BLEH for that! But I do hope to get the TR started next week unless I magically squeak it in this weekend.

It was a wonderful trip, largely free of drama, lots of good times, good eats, good memories and new experiences for all.

Of course, what was the first thing I did yesterday?

Book my outbound flight for the May girls trip

:thumbsup2

Second thing?

Register Jeff and I for a 15K for my DL 1/2 training

:rotfl2:

Seriously though, the outbound flight was waiting on a few more miles which I earned heading to Orlando so it ended up being only $17.50 for that leg which was all taxes. It would have been less but it's miles used on a partner (which means I'm flying American, haven't done that in since I don't know when) I guess the taxes are higher. It's only $2.50 when I do it on Alaska. Still, the entire trip will have cost $20 out of pocket for my flights so I can't complain and I am happy with the times. I wanted to get it before it was gone and I actually liked the times better than my Alaska options. It was pretty full, so glad I snapped it up. I fly out on Mothers Day and wanted to maximize the day with the kids. This flight leaves at midnight, via Dallas and lands at 9:30 am ish so fit the bill quite well and then I've a lovely direct one home.

It was VERY nice to not stress about shopping for myself this trip, or certain other things I might want to do, knowing I'd be back in May.

They just better still have the cronut around! I will leave it at that.

I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boo on the back to work/school. My kids are just getting back to school today after the long break. Teacher day on Monday, Cold temps on Tuesday and then the buses would not start yesterday.

We had a wonderful NYE on the Fantasy. Hung out all week with Ellen and had a great time. So sad that it is over.

Looking forward to reading about your trip!

Welcome back! Nothing takes the sting out of reality better than booking plans for a new trip! Especially bargain priced airfare!

Can't wait to read all about your trip after you get settled.

:goodvibes

Glad you made it home safe and sound!- even if it is a bummer to be back to work and school. Yay on registering for a 15k!!!! And your flight for may out of the way is awesome!!

Welcome home! I totally agree that a longer trip does make coming home easier. Our flight home - SW operated by Airtran - was Friday the 3rd, a day after the Midway/Southwest fiasco. When we got to MCO, the only SW weather alert was for Chicago!! Yet we made it home; I'm SO thankful!
Looking forward to hearing about your family's adventures:goodvibes

Glad you made it home safely. That first night's sleep in your own bed is always the best. :goodvibes

It was wonderful, although far too short. We didn't get to bed until about midnight and then up at 5:30 for school/work. BLEH!

Boo on the back to work/school. My kids are just getting back to school today after the long break. Teacher day on Monday, Cold temps on Tuesday and then the buses would not start yesterday.

I wish my kids would have had teacher or snow days but they missed 2 full days instead. Not a big deal for Eric but not great for Evan.

We had a wonderful NYE on the Fantasy. Hung out all week with Ellen and had a great time. So sad that it is over.

Looking forward to reading about your trip!

So bummed I just missed Ellen! I think NYE on board would be just lovely. How was the weather?

Welcome back! Nothing takes the sting out of reality better than booking plans for a new trip! Especially bargain priced airfare!

Can't wait to read all about your trip after you get settled.

:goodvibes

I am a big fan of bargain priced airfare!

:thumbsup2Welcome home! Good luck getting caught back up. :thumbsup2

Yeah...I'll need it!

Glad you made it home safe and sound!- even if it is a bummer to be back to work and school. Yay on registering for a 15k!!!! And your flight for may out of the way is awesome!!

Hopefully I can manage a 15K, our run last night was so slow (for me) it was pathetic. Guess that's what eating and drinking for 10 days straight will do (not including the holidays before it) and only 2 runs on the trip. :lmao:

Welcome home! I totally agree that a longer trip does make coming home easier. Our flight home - SW operated by Airtran - was Friday the 3rd, a day after the Midway/Southwest fiasco. When we got to MCO, the only SW weather alert was for Chicago!! Yet we made it home; I'm SO thankful!

That is great you didn't have any issues! My one sister had her connection cancelled, it ended up taking them 37 hours to get home. Luckily I had them on that part of the villa ressie so my DVC travel insurance should cover them as they had to buy some new flights. United rescheduled them 5 days later than their original flight. Insane! The other sister was delayed 4 hours, one more hour and their extra food etc would have been covered. We had a 40 minute delay for our connection which was welcome as otherwise we'd have had no time to grab food as originally it was only a 25 minute layover.

Did you guys end up at DHS for NYE as planned?

Welcome back, Cynthia. I anxiously await another one of your epic TR's (and I want to compare Andy's thoughts to yours; let's just say he'll be back the same time next year :) ).

***And I think you still think it's December by the date of your update.

So bummed I just missed Ellen! I think NYE on board would be just lovely. How was the weather?

Ellen is so much fun! I'm so glad that I got to meet her and Pods and hope to cruise with them in the future.

The weather was great. St. Maarten and St Thomas were beautiful. It was pretty chilly on our Castaway Cay day and we did not get docked until 1:30 but we were able to get off this ship.

Hopefully I can manage a 15K, our run last night was so slow (for me) it was pathetic. Guess that's what eating and drinking for 10 days straight will do (not including the holidays before it) and only 2 runs on the trip. :lmao:

Despite the amount of drinking we do at WDW (I'm too embarrassed to say how much - we stock up at Publix's liquor store) I never gain weight at WDW and it's gotta be the amount of walking we do there! Because even if we do make it to the gym, it's usually only once or twice (try none this trip) and when you're used to your own equipment at home, it's never really a good workout for me. I got a pedometer app for my phone for the trip, and daily we hit over 10,000 steps.

That is great you didn't have any issues! My one sister had her connection cancelled, it ended up taking them 37 hours to get home. Luckily I had them on that part of the villa ressie so my DVC travel insurance should cover them as they had to buy some new flights. United rescheduled them 5 days later than their original flight. Insane! The other sister was delayed 4 hours, one more hour and their extra food etc would have been covered. We had a 40 minute delay for our connection which was welcome as otherwise we'd have had no time to grab food as originally it was only a 25 minute layover.

Wow, 37 hours? That totally stinks! Travel this time of year is so stressful and unpredictable.

Did you guys end up at DHS for NYE as planned?
Actually, last year we were at DHS, which was great, but DH really missed being at Epcot, so we spent the early part of the afternoon at FW courtesy of FP+, then left to pick up a car at Dolphin and went to a very crowded Publix for some replenishment, then went back to WS at 11:30 pm for fireworks. We made our way to Italy, where it seemed a bit less crowded.

CarolynK, my son was in Orlando at Disney until January 2; then he flew to Dallas for a Baseball Coaches Conference. He flew home this past Sunday (January 5). He was on Southwest. And the fiasco started again. No Southwest flights going into Midway, but they'd already put his luggage on plane, etc. They ended up flying standby to Kansas City, Missouri, then to Milwaukee (again standby), then took an Amtrak train to Downtown Chicago and finally the Metra train home. :eek:

CarolynK, my son was in Orlando at Disney until January 2; then he flew to Dallas for a Baseball Coaches Conference. He flew home this past Sunday (January 5). He was on Southwest. And the fiasco started again. No Southwest flights going into Midway, but they'd already put his luggage on plane, etc. They ended up flying standby to Kansas City, Missouri, then to Milwaukee (again standby), then took an Amtrak train to Downtown Chicago and finally the Metra train home. :eek:

Ouch!! I still can't believe our luck; we had the last non-stop Airtan-operated flight that day - the previous 2 non-stops had been canceled! We've only been flying SW a couple of years, but they're not impressing me....I really miss Midwest Airlines!

Ouch!! I still can't believe our luck; we had the last non-stop Airtan-operated flight that day - the previous 2 non-stops had been canceled! We've only been flying SW a couple of years, but they're not impressing me....I really miss Midwest Airlines!

We've done SW and or/Air Tran a couple of times in the last three years. We've never had any issues. However, that being said, we prefer flying out of O'Hare. Andy finally found his luggage and is going to pick it up at Midway tomorrow.

I am sure you will do great- but yeah... Lots of food and beverage doesn't help. ;)

Welcome back, Cynthia. I anxiously await another one of your epic TR's (and I want to compare Andy's thoughts to yours; let's just say he'll be back the same time next year :) ).

***And I think you still think it's December by the date of your update.

LOL! I fixed it, thanks. My brain is still in December. Let's put it this way.

I'd go again over the holidays in a heartbeat. :goodvibes

Ellen is so much fun! I'm so glad that I got to meet her and Pods and hope to cruise with them in the future.

I bet they were a blast! Someday I hope our paths will cross.

The weather was great. St. Maarten and St Thomas were beautiful. It was pretty chilly on our Castaway Cay day and we did not get docked until 1:30 but we were able to get off this ship.

Frustrating to have a short day at the highlight but at least you were able to get off.

Despite the amount of drinking we do at WDW (I'm too embarrassed to say how much - we stock up at Publix's liquor store) I never gain weight at WDW and it's gotta be the amount of walking we do there! Because even if we do make it to the gym, it's usually only once or twice (try none this trip) and when you're used to your own equipment at home, it's never really a good workout for me. I got a pedometer app for my phone for the trip, and daily we hit over 10,000 steps.

I'm not sure if it's actual weight gain (nor do I intent to confirm that lol) but we both feel so bloated. Mostly from all the extra sodium and heavier sauces etc that we normally eat. I agree with the walking balancing a lot of it out and we walked a ton. Didn't do a pedometer but have in the past, I want to say our last AK day in 2012 Jeff clocked over 12,000.

And hey, you are talking to the people that packed 2 kinds of rum (my mom packed Gin) and then bought beer and wine at target thanks to Pat running me to the store. I think Pat was a bit amazed at just how full my grocery cart was (not just of beer and wine but of Food mind you) :rotfl: but I am happy to say virtually all of it was consumed!

I totally copied your idea though and we carried on some frozen bagels and bread which came in handy for some while I was off at the store :thumbsup2

Wow, 37 hours? That totally stinks! Travel this time of year is so stressful and unpredictable.

Yes it is. I can deal with delays on the way home, we'd have handled it differently than they did but all that matters in the end is that they made it home safely. Delays on the way there though, that sends my blood pressure WAY up.

Actually, last year we were at DHS, which was great, but DH really missed being at Epcot, so we spent the early part of the afternoon at FW courtesy of FP+, then left to pick up a car at Dolphin and went to a very crowded Publix for some replenishment, then went back to WS at 11:30 pm for fireworks. We made our way to Italy, where it seemed a bit less crowded.

We didn't hit Epcot until about 4 and then stayed (did AK in the am, then pool). The crowds were funny, just horrendous in spots and then fine in others. I was blown away by the wait times some folks were choosing to endure and incredibly grateful for MagicBands. We ended up by Norway for the actual fireworks.

UGH!!!!! Will SW reimburse him for any of it? My sister on United, also on the 5th had her Denver-SEA leg cancelled. Ended up flying to Boise the next day and buying a ticket from Boise to Seattle to get them the rest of the way. I couldn't believe United's best offer was 5 days later than their originally scheduled flight! The other sister on SW did have a 4 hour delay but that was also through Denver, as was our 40 min delay.

I do not care for the cattle call, at all. I do like the free bags though!

We've done SW and or/Air Tran a couple of times in the last three years. We've never had any issues. However, that being said, we prefer flying out of O'Hare. Andy finally found his luggage and is going to pick it up at Midway tomorrow.

SW won't deliver it? that's crazy.

I am sure you will do great- but yeah... Lots of food and beverage doesn't help. ;)

Oh I can do the distance, that part doesn't worry me. It will just be interesting to see at what speed. December has been pretty brutal in terms of getting workouts and runs in and my pace has suffered as a result. Or more accurately it's wildly inconsistent. I had a really great run on xmas eve and a couple of ok/normal ones since then so one horridly slow one isn't going to kill me. Given that the 15K is still almost 3 months away I am not terribly concerned and since I don't need it for time (and don't expect it to be better than the 10K) I'm not that stressed about it.

Yet.

:rotfl:

I am curious though to see just how different race pace versus normal is on the 15K though compared to the 10K as those results threw me for a loop for sure.

Hopefully it's not too horrible or I won't enjoy the evening, it's going to be a jam packed day. We have the run in the am, up north and then dinner plans followed by the Lion King! not ideal that they are all the same day but given that it's a Disney training race, seems appropriate that it worked out that way.

Southwest covered the two standby flights. The only thing Andy had to pay for was his Amtrack ticket ($24.00) and his Metra train ticket ($5.25). So in the long run, although a LONG day, it worked out.

Southwest covered the two standby flights. The only thing Andy had to pay for was his Amtrack ticket ($24.00) and his Metra train ticket ($5.25). So in the long run, although a LONG day, it worked out.

That's good but it does seem they ought to deliver his luggage. I have a FB friend with crazy delays back here to Seattle and they wouldn't deliver her luggage either.

That's good but it does seem they ought to deliver his luggage. I have a FB friend with crazy delays back here to Seattle and they wouldn't deliver her luggage either.

From my understanding, there is so much luggage at Midway from all of the delays with the snow and the frigid air, that they are lined up down hallways. They'd go broke trying to deliver it all.

Welcome back, Cynthia!

Sorry I am so late to welcome you back, but when we got back from DLRP it got a bit hectic here, so I am now frantically trying to catch up on my threads. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter