• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wondering about a promotion for health care workers

disneygrandma

Mickey Fan
At the end of the Gronk/Brady commercial, where they proclaim "We're going to Disney World!!", you see Cinderella's castle, the words Walt Disney World, and then a thank you to the health care workers. Do you think there's a chance that WDW will do some kind of discount or promotion now for health care workers?

I wish they did something too for the teachers who went back into the classrooms once school started! Not the school districts that stayed virtual though! Lol, we can dream though!

I wish they did something too for the teachers who went back into the classrooms once school started! Not the school districts that stayed virtual though! Lol, we can dream though!

While as a teacher who went back I think it would be awesome, the logistics of proving that would be a nightmare. Especially in places where the system was split between in-person/blended and all remote. ( And then you would have those teachers who chose to stay remote due to health reasons (at least in NYC the reason for accommodations to start this school year was not super strict) screaming that they should be allowed to have the same deal because they didn’t choose to have health conditions.)

I love the idea, but the implementation would be a nightmare. :(

I think they might, at some point, after the pandemic is over. They'd be crazy to do it now, when there's still a problem with COVID spread and the general population isn't vaccinated yet. Not that I don't think health care workers deserve to take a vacation, but to advertise that they should take one now, during the pandemic, would be stupid, IMO. But after the pandemic passes? They have Shades of Green deals for the military, so they have a program in place. Just have to show an ID.

The Swan/Dolphin, though not WDW hotels, typically offer a nurses' discount. That's the only "healthcare" worker discount I've ever seen in the WDW area.

I do not feel like they would offer this discount. Like a previous poster mentioned-it would be very difficult to monitor. AND frontline workers are more than healthcare providers.

Retail workers , teachers, law enforcement, service employees etc. could all be considered front line workers. I know when CV19 was very new, my husband's company was considered "essential" and so was mine. He is a foreman for a tank and vessel builder. He stayed home with me when I had coronavirus because he had to quarantine but other than that he has worked at least 5 days a week. I work for a non profit and we provide therapy for children.

I am in no way diminishing the importance of healthcare workers. But it is doubtful that Disney will give healthcare workers a discount. If they do, will there be stipulations? Doctors, nurses, nurse's aids, LPN, RN, LPN, FNP, etc. custodians, lab techs, administration, and many more work in the medical field and are on the frontline - how will Disney moderate that?

I think they might, at some point, after the pandemic is over. They'd be crazy to do it now, when there's still a problem with COVID spread and the general population isn't vaccinated yet. Not that I don't think health care workers deserve to take a vacation, but to advertise that they should take one now, during the pandemic, would be stupid, IMO. But after the pandemic passes? They have Shades of Green deals for the military, so they have a program in place. Just have to show an ID.
Not all military qualify for the Shades of Green promotions. My husband was in the Marines but never had "orders". Two of my sons in laws were in ACTION but are now civilians. My brother was in Afghanistan for 2 years. None of them are retired or active at this time - so they don't get the military discounts.

Why not a discount for Fire fighters, law enforcement, teachers? If they do give a discount it won't be better than the resident, AP, or Visa discount and sometimes it easier to just come here or other Disney planning sites to find the best deals.

Not all military qualify for the Shades of Green promotions. My husband was in the Marines but never had "orders". Two of my sons in laws were in ACTION but are now civilians. My brother was in Afghanistan for 2 years. None of them are retired or active at this time - so they don't get the military discounts.

Why not a discount for Fire fighters, law enforcement, teachers? If they do give a discount it won't be better than the resident, AP, or Visa discount and sometimes it easier to just come here or other Disney planning sites to find the best deals.

I 100% agree with this. Everyone thinks that they deserve a discount because of what they do or have, etc. Disney is bleeding money right now and the only "real" revenue comes from Disney+ and ABC network. There are no discounts coming for the very near or far future.

And to further elaborate, they would be going down a rabbit hole to offer those discounts. When do you stop? Are health care workers more important that sanitation workers? If you couldn't find a doctor's appointment for a week or your trash wouldn't be picked up for a week, which might be worse? How about grocery store workers who tirelessly work to replenish shelves so that people can eat?

EDIT: I just mentioned going down a rabbit hole. I completely forgot about my initial reason to reply. By "orders" do you mean deployment? And by retired or active, how can you not be one or the other? Maybe "active" means deployed?

I 100% agree with this. Everyone thinks that they deserve a discount because of what they do or have, etc. Disney is bleeding money right now and the only "real" revenue comes from Disney+ and ABC network. There are no discounts coming for the very near or far future.

And to further elaborate, they would be going down a rabbit hole to offer those discounts. When do you stop? Are health care workers more important that sanitation workers? If you couldn't find a doctor's appointment for a week or your trash wouldn't be picked up for a week, which might be worse? How about grocery store workers who tirelessly work to replenish shelves so that people can eat?

EDIT: I just mentioned going down a rabbit hole. I completely forgot about my initial reason to reply. By "orders" do you mean deployment? And by retired or active, how can you not be one or the other? Maybe "active" means deployed?
So my husband is a veteran of various middle eastern opperations. He served for nine years and got out when his last contract expired. He’s neither retired, nor active at this point so we don’t qualify for any Disney discounts.

You have to be in for so many years in order to retire, but you can “get out” once your contract is up if you choose to do so. You’re just honorably discharged... Not retired.

So my husband is a veteran of various middle eastern opperations. He served for nine years and got out when his last contract expired. He’s neither retired, nor active at this point so we don’t qualify for any Disney discounts.

You have to be in for so many years in order to retire, but you can “get out” once your contract is up if you choose to do so. You’re just honorably discharged... Not retired.

I get it. I served for 10 years. It's unfortunate that an honorable is not good enough. And to avoid "stolen valor" I was not military. I was something else.

I just saw the commercial again, and it says thanks to health care heroes. When I first saw it, I thought of the "give a day, get a day" promotion where they highlighted helping out charities and other non-profits. I was thinking it might be possible for WDW to now be doing something for the health care heroes. After reading these responses though, I doubt it will happen.

As for the military discounts mentioned, my husband is a veteran. Served in Viet Nam and has 3 purple hearts. However he didn't make a career out of it, so he's not retired, and thus isn't eligible for the discount.

SIL is a nurse and we have looked there a couple of times to see the prices. The discount has never been significant, and is sometimes higher than AAA.

Ditto their teacher's rate. I looked once or twice because even though I hate Marriott properties (too many bad experiences with them), I figured if it was all that great like people make it out to be I could tolerate it. Nope. I mean, I guess if you're comparing it to a Deluxe resort there is some savings, but I'm pretty much a Mod or Value girl, so I'm better off just sticking with Disney properties.

Right my husband was not deployed. My 2 sons in laws were both in Iraq. I suppose because they did not make the Army their "careers". One is now a pipeliner (for now) and the other works with my husband and he has an Engineering degree. None of them qualify for the military tickets either. WE do have a current family member who is in the Coast Guard reserves (in Guantanamo Bay until May) and he does qualify for the military tickets because he has gotten them for my grandson and mother in law.

Yeah, agree with the others that say the abuse would be rampant and it would be too hard to police. In my state, we have had so much vaccine line jumping by people pretending to be "health care workers"--doctors "hiring" their family members and friends as temporary volunteer "assistants" for example.

But more to the point, there are currently general discounts up to 35% off at hotels and the 5-day for the cost of 3-day package. Those are pretty good discounts by disney standards--doubtful how much more they would offer for a specific group.

I think they could do something for healthcare workers easily enough. Most that are healthcare workers have a place at their employer where they can buy discounted tickets to attractions, simply make it a better discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter