Wonder how they'll spin this one.

I am impressed that you, who I assume are an American, can post that without a hint of irony or self-awareness, given our nation's history (and present day) of pushing our values and opinions on the citizens of other nations. No nation in the history the planet has pushed itself more onto the citizens of other nations that ours.

I'm happy to have impressed you. The honor is all yours. Yes, I'm American and very proud of it also.

It is known that cops cover for each other. I just hope the department does the right thing in this case if the officers were in the wrong.

Gun violence in the US is out of control, it's no wonder other countries post warnings to their citizens about traveling to the US.

Ummmm, okay.... :sad2:

And, this negative political (not allowed) commentary has exactly what to do with this thread.

IMHO, the mods should be watching here.

I'm happy to have impressed you. The honor is all yours. Yes, I'm American and very proud of it also.

To be fair, I am not positively impressed by you but am negatively impressed by the lack of awareness espoused by your post. You make no impression on me at all as you are just another random person on a message board. I apologize if that was not clear.

And I, too, am very proud to be an American. I am happy and honored to live in a nation where we can have our own opinions. But I am just not blindly proud nor a sheep and never will be. The day we become (or became?) blinded to America's failings is the day we begin (or began?) the glide slope to our destruction as a nation.

Yeah...OK, don't call 911. Yeah, OK. Love how people armchair bash the police. Spend just one day in their shoes. Just one. Not saying they have free license to do what they want when they want, but it makes me sick when people make broad generalizations about the very people who's job it is to protect you. Just like with any walk of life, there will be bad ones...problem is the "bad" gets magnified.

If you're in a car accident, get robbed, assaulted, etc...I presume you'll just handle it yourself since you think you shouldn't call 911.

Thank you!! My DH is a police officer and I just hate to hear people say things about how the police are "bad." I can assure you that my DH would never discharge his weapon unless he felt a threat to himself or the people around him. That being said in his 7 years on the force, he has never discharged his weapon a single time.

Thank you!! My DH is a police officer and I just hate to hear people say things about how the police are "bad." I can assure you that my DH would never discharge his weapon unless he felt a threat to himself or the people around him. That being said in his 7 years on the force, he has never discharged his weapon a single time.
I do not for a second believe that all cops are bad. I just wish the ones would speak out against the bad apples.

Not for law abiding citizens, that is my point.

There is a federal law that bans people convicted of certain crimes from owning guns. Yet, those people still manage to get them. What more regulation can prevent that?
I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely interested in what people think can be done that isn't done now.
Possibly doing things to reduce straw purchases, which are the #1 means by which people get firearms illegally. Some states have tried limiting the number of firearms that a non dealer can purchase per period of time. Very often the actual buyer goes along with the straw purchaser. I remember an article in The Atlantic years ago about an uncle in Virginia who bought a Cobray (think Mac-10) for his underaged nephew who saved up enough money. It was totally illegal, but he went along with the kid and the dealer saw what the purpose was and still sold it. Another was when Michael Bloomberg was Mayor of NYC, he sent out some people to Virginia to attempt to buy firearms in groups where one buyer was clearly behaving as if the purchaser would transfer it to another person. Virginia responded by making out of state firearms stings illegal under Virginia law unless accompanied by federal or in-state law enforcement.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/09/AR2007050902573.html

In February, Town & Country Pawn Shop of Roanoke settled with New York and agreed to allow a special judge monitor their firearms sales. But several other dealers, including Bob Moate's Sports Shop in Richmond, are fighting the lawsuit in court.

According to the suit filed in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, New York police recovered 22 guns between 1994 and 2002, including some used in homicides, that they said were sold by at Bob Moate's. In March 2006, New York sent a man and woman into the store to confirm its suspicion that the store was making illegal gun sales.

"Once the male investigator selected a gun and indicated a desire to purchase it, the female investigator, who had not been part of the discussion, approached the counter to make the purchase," the suit alleges. The woman filled out the required paperwork, but then the man came and paid cash for the gun, the suit says.​

I am impressed that you, who I assume are an American, can post that without a hint of irony or self-awareness, given our nation's history (and present day) of pushing our values and opinions on the citizens of other nations. No nation in the history the planet has pushed itself more onto the citizens of other nations that ours.
No nation in the history of the world has done MORE for the world than this country. There was this little wall that separated East Germany from West Germany in the latter part of the 20th century. The Eastern side was under the control of USSR. The Western side was under the control of the USA after WW II. Guess which side wanted desperately to climb that wall to go live on the other side?

That flag won't change the awful things we have done around the world and right here on our own soil.
Can you acknowledge that we have done a few things right in this country? Look beyond your hate for a minute and reflect.

Possibly doing things to reduce straw purchases, which are the #1 means by which people get firearms illegally. Some states have tried limiting the number of firearms that a non dealer can purchase per period of time. Very often the actual buyer goes along with the straw purchaser. I remember an article in The Atlantic years ago about an uncle in Virginia who bought a Cobray (think Mac-10) for his underaged nephew who saved up enough money. It was totally illegal, but he went along with the kid and the dealer saw what the purpose was and still sold it. Another was when Michael Bloomberg was Mayor of NYC, he sent out some people to Virginia to attempt to buy firearms in groups where one buyer was clearly behaving as if the purchaser would transfer it to another person. Virginia responded by making out of state firearms stings illegal under Virginia law unless accompanied by federal or in-state law enforcement.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/09/AR2007050902573.html

In February, Town & Country Pawn Shop of Roanoke settled with New York and agreed to allow a special judge monitor their firearms sales. But several other dealers, including Bob Moate's Sports Shop in Richmond, are fighting the lawsuit in court.

According to the suit filed in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, New York police recovered 22 guns between 1994 and 2002, including some used in homicides, that they said were sold by at Bob Moate's. In March 2006, New York sent a man and woman into the store to confirm its suspicion that the store was making illegal gun sales.

"Once the male investigator selected a gun and indicated a desire to purchase it, the female investigator, who had not been part of the discussion, approached the counter to make the purchase," the suit alleges. The woman filled out the required paperwork, but then the man came and paid cash for the gun, the suit says.​

I don't have a problem with Virginia's response, I don't support a non law enforcement officer setting up a sting operation, especially a mayor of a city in another state that has its own issues with illegal gun violenece. Bloomberg should have been concentrating on his own city, but that is another discussion all together.

I hope that these "dealers" are shut down when they participate in illegal activity. I also hope that those people who try to circumvent the gun laws in their state are punished with more than a slap on the wrist. Tougher penalties may be a start (although I admit I'm not exactly sure what the penalties are).

I don't have much experience with dealers here but I've gone with dh when he was purchasing a pistol to a couple different places. I wasn't even allowed to touch them because I do not have a permit. Not that I wanted too, but they made it very clear when they placed them on the counter that I wasn't allowed.

I do community outreach through our local domestic violence shelter at the jail and the workhouse a county over from where I currently live. There are so MANY good cops, but the bad ones do a huge disservice to the entire group. As a PP suggested, I wish the good ones would speak up more. Some of the cops say things around us "do-gooders" about the inmates that break my heart, especially the women I work with that have already been victims of verbal, emotional, physical, and sexual abuse. The rest of the cops - you can see the empathy they have for these women (who have obviously screwed up along the way, but I wouldn't begin to judge after hearing the stories). America does have the highest percentage of incarcerated populace in the world - by alarming margins. I love our country, but I do think it's something as a society we should examine thoughtfully, as opposed to, ahem, F the police, or the police are always justified. There are good and bad. I simply wish that we could do something as a society to encourage more truly good cops and to get out those who misuse power.

BTW: jails are super scary, ya'll keep on the straight and narrow.

I don't have a problem with Virginia's response, I don't support a non law enforcement officer setting up a sting operation, especially a mayor of a city in another state that has its own issues with illegal gun violenece. Bloomberg should have been concentrating on his own city, but that is another discussion all together.

There's a certain disconnect with what you're saying. Most of the illegally obtained guns in NYC are coming from outside the state. But then you say he she be concentrating on his own city?

I guess one thing they could have tried doing was sending in local law enforcement such as a NYPD or DA investigators. However, the problem with that would be that they wouldn't be Virginia residents and they'd probably come up as law enforcement when the background checks are run. Virginia had suggested that perhaps local law enforcement in VA work with NYC, but what do you do when they're not interested? It would certainly be difficult to send in actual law enforcement for the stings since gun store owners probably already know all of them. Then it would have to be private investigators, which would simply be done the way NYC was doing it.

No nation in the history of the world has done MORE for the world than this country. There was this little wall that separated East Germany from West Germany in the latter part of the 20th century. The Eastern side was under the control of USSR. The Western side was under the control of the USA after WW II. Guess which side wanted desperately to climb that wall to go live on the other side?

This nation has done tremendous good for the world, and done much evil, as well. It has brought freedom to many nations and has overthrown democratically elected governments and installed dictators in others. It has given many the chance to rise above their station in life, and has committed mass genocide against entire peoples when they have stood in its way or it served its purposes. It has brought peace and caused war. It is a government run by imperfect human beings, many good and some corrupt, and not recognizing that is dangerous and, in my opinion, completely unAmerican.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter