Wk of Sep 14 - WISH Walking/Running Club

Hey all, :wave2:

Boomdocker and Allie are coming from the UK to walk/run the WDW half marathon in January 2009. We are really worried that we are going to embarrass ourselves and finish last or even worse get picked up by the sweepers!! :rotfl:

I see that a few of you walk/jog so can you share some advice on the timings. How realistic is a speed/power walk? I have visions of us being the last 2 sad walkers at the back and everyone else running at Olympic pace. Can you reassure us there will be other walkers or walker/joggers?

We are looking forward to this and would like to relax knowing we are are in the company of others of similar ability. :cheer2:
Welcome to WISH Team!

You will find that many here are "back of the pack" people and that there is definitely no shame in being last or at the back with us. As long as you can maintain a 16 minute per mile pace or I think it translates to 9:53 per km you will be fine. I would recommend though a 15 minute per mile pace or a 9:19 per km that would allow for a bit more time for photo opportuniites along the way.

Tracy - WTG on the lbs! :thumbsup2 And what are you talking about? Weird? I don't remember you getting weird. Way too peppy for mile 8, yes! Way to happy, yes! But I do agree with you...Facebook is all Jeff's fault!
Mooshu - Are you serious??? An oxygen bar? I had been eyeing the 1/2 even though I know it's hard to get into. But after hearing that...idk...having second thoughts!:scared: I barely survived DL! :lmao:
Jeff - You always say Mooshu is crazy...YOU are the crazy one! "Easy 18 miler" see.....CRAZY! :worship:

Welcome TracyZ!

I have an easy 5k this weekend to look forward to. Uh oh...I've been around Jeff too long! I just called a run easy!

Have a great week everyone!

Tracy - WTG on the lbs! :thumbsup2 And what are you talking about? Weird? I don't remember you getting weird. Way too peppy for mile 8, yes! Way to happy, yes! But I do agree with you...Facebook is all Jeff's fault!
Mooshu - Are you serious??? An oxygen bar? I had been eyeing the 1/2 even though I know it's hard to get into. But after hearing that...idk...having second thoughts!:scared: I barely survived DL! :lmao:
Jeff - You always say Mooshu is crazy...YOU are the crazy one! "Easy 18 miler" see.....CRAZY! :worship:

Welcome TracyZ!

I have an easy 5k this weekend to look forward to. Uh oh...I've been around Jeff too long! I just called a run easy!

Aloha Michelle,

I tell the suckers, er I mean runners in my marathon training group if they're smiling during or after a run with me, they didn't run hard enough. I want to hear them say they hated that run, or I quit. :lmao: I tell them the more PTA (Pain, Torture, and Agony) they do now, the easier a marathon will be.

Garwsh, hang out with some people for three days at Disneyland, and they start blaming me for everything. :laughing:

Have fun with that 5K, I'm rooting for another outstanding race for you!

I'm doing the Nike Run for the Kids 5K, then do the one miler with Princess #1. Skipping my 18 miler with the clinic, so nice little break this weekend.

Marcia does the SF Nike half each year for the Tuxedo clad male models at the end, handing out Tiffany necklaces off of silver platters. She often gets in via the lottery, but sometimes lucks out and gets in without having to go through that process.

Here's CRAZY...

Now that 2009 Goofy is booked, and registration filled out, my wife and I are already looking at 2010 Goofy.

We'll be using our DVC points. Yep, we're already deciding on which resort to stay at before New Year's Eve 2009. How many nights, throw in the Disney Magic Cruise for 4 nights in between, and then back to WDW for the Goofy. Hmm, I might have to host a WISH cocktail party, bbq, pool party, or something.

Anyone interested in doing the Disney Wonder cruise with us? The sailing dates are January 3rd to 7th, 2010, out of Port Canaveral.

4-Night Bahamian Cruise

Discover enchantment in the heart of paradise. Set sail on a voyage of relaxation, including a full day at sea — Disney style. Enjoy fun-filled visits to Nassau, the marvelous capitol of the Bahamas, and Castaway Cay, Disney's incredible private island paradise. And take advantage of the amazing activities, world-class entertainment and fabulous dining opportunities that make a vacation on a Disney Cruise Line® ship unlike any other.

Ship:
Disney Wonder®

Ports of Call:
Nassau
Castaway Cay
Cruise Itinerary Day Port Ashore Onboard
Sunday Port Canaveral 4:00 p.m.
Monday Nassau 9:30 a.m. 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday Castaway Cay 8:30 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday At Sea
Thursday Port Canaveral 7:35 a.m.

Welcome TracyZ!

yeah I know, I was kinda peppy, but I remember talking about having to walk back to the hotel.... going up the stairs to my room......going abck down the stairs to the ice machine....back up the stairs.... or something like think. I was having visions and going just a bit looney and that usually happens around mile 8/9. All that and I still kept up the whole "this is so much fun" look on my face?? Boy, I'm good!!

Jeff: Don't think I can pull off more time from work. I am having a hard time getting 3 hours off in October to participate in my college marching band alumni gig on a Friday. UGH!! (It's a no school day, so office will be busy, my thought is - its fine when people are sick or their kid is sick and they miss work, or leave early or come in late because of kids, but for me to ask off for 3 hour AHEAD of time is hard?????? DON'Tt understand at all.)

Take care everyone!!

Tracy

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Seems like a great group here! It also seems like I'm really missing out not doing Disney this year. I have a feeling 2010 is going to have to be my Disney year now that I've found these boards...ooh, and I love the idea of incorporating a 4 night cruise into the trip! Yahoo!:banana:

Welcome TracyZ!!!!

Kristi - OCngrats on teh 5K. Scott stands with both knees bent and one foot slightly forward 3 to 4 inches. He drives this knees downward to stretch out claves adn shins. Sorry you are dealing with this!!!

Laurie - Yay fro coming fr marathon!!!!

Howard - COol abotu teh dance lessons. Scott and i did those before we got married. Great togetehr time fr you 2!

Michelle - Isn't it great when you can call a 5K eay?? Yay!!!!

Jeff - COngrats on coming to marathon!

OK, enough with teh collecge football talk. ;) This is not going to be a fun year for me. :guilty:

Tracy - I hate it when an assignment comes up and the boss is looking to give it to someone and I get it because I "don't have kids". Doesn't mean I don't have a life and have things to do that night, weekend, etc. I find that so annoying!:mad:

Terri

Good Morning All

Got up and did 3.25 miles this AM before I started work. I am not a big morning run person, but my Galloway group is doing 9.25 miles this weekend and since, unlike Jeff, I think that's a LONG way I figured I better get some work in this week and I have meeting this evening!

Jeff, the cruise sounds fun. I did the four day a few years ago. The day at sea was actually my fav!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Maura, Thanks for the Pixie Dust.

Claire, I'm Political Science and Women's Studies double major. What was/is your major?

Jeff, An easy 18 miles? The cruise sounds awesome though.

As for me, yesterday I did 3 miles at a nice and easy 9 minute pace. I also did my first strength training in about six months. Needless to say I'm sore, but it felt good.

Best,
Jennifer

Good morning everyone! I'm getting used to posting on the boards now..I usually just lurk.

TracyZ - Welcome to the boards! I am a lurker usually, but Jeff (the crazy one) has me hooked and now I am signed up to run the Goofy because I didn't want to miss anything!:rotfl:

Michelle - Will you be running WDW this year? I didn't see your name on the list! EASY 5K...yep you've been talking to Jeff. The Nike Womens has a chocolate mile also...they hand out chocolate squares. But the finishers necklace is what gets me to come back every year! You can't go wrong with a little blue box!

Jeff - YOUR CRAAAAZZZY! Of course I'm in for 2010! I couldn't let you one up me:rotfl2:

Tracy - Never say never...look at us! From no way we're going to WDW world this year, wait until 2010...to running the DL 1/2 and meeting the WISHers....yep we're running the Goofy!:laughing:

Have a good day everyone!

Hey all, :wave2:

Boomdocker and Allie are coming from the UK to walk/run the WDW half marathon in January 2009.

I have visions of us being the last 2 sad walkers at the back and everyone else running at Olympic pace. Can you reassure us there will be other walkers or walker/joggers?

I can not speak for the rest of the group but I can absolutely guarantee you that I will not be running at Olympic pace.

Welcome! and don't worry - train, but don't worry - It will be fun.

Cecilia

Laurie: Yay! :goofy: Glad you'll be there!

Howard: :banana: Dance lessons eh? What kinda dances are yall learning?

Jeff: Ooo Disney cruise? I wish! I've never been on a cruise, but I figure Disney one would be good.

Jennifer: My undergrad major was Elementary Education with a Special Education minor. I'm working on my masters with Gifted Education certification and hopefully my PhD with a concentration in childrens/adolescent literature. An "easy 9 min pace"?? I wish! You go girl!

For me:
I took a "gentle yoga" class yesterday. Not sure if it was that or the belly dancing, but I am definitely tight today in my back and hamstrings. I did my sprints today...always fun. My garmin quit tracking for about a mile, so I was glad I was going by time and not distance!

Hey Everybody! I will be heading to the gym in a little bit to get my 3 mile run in, and also do some really good stretching! Then when I come home I want to book our plane flights for marathon weekend, since I am OFFICIALLY registered for the Goofy!!!! I wanted drop in and catch up with everyone!

Howard--I hope you and Cam had a great time at your dance lesson.

MiaBanda--An easy 5k!......I don't think I have ever called a 5k easy, Good Luck with that race!

Jeff--You are like me..I barely get signed up for 2009 and I am already thinking about 2010 as well! My fiance told me last night that I better wait and see if I can get through Goofy this year...and I just laughed at him! The cruise sounds like a lot of fun!!

Carrie--Don't feel bad about your college football team...we were spoiled here in NJ for a few years as Rutgers had a pretty good team, but things don't look so good so far this year..I keep saying it is back to the same ole' rutgers!!

Welcome to all the new folks!!!

Claire, I may need to talk to you about education. Like I said I want to do Teach for America, but I've only ever studied education from a policy side. Grad school is definitely in my future, but I'm worried about burning out if I go straight away.

Oh and I guess easy is all relative.

As for me, Today I did 5 miles at a 9 minute pace. My route had some hills, but nothing too bad and just enough to keep me from getting bored.

Best,
Jennifer

Hello, WISH teammates!

So, after that being sick thing last week, DH and I went for a 2-mile, 35 minute walk the next night (definitely not killing myself at that pace), and I was still struggling to breathe so we came home (I know, I know, I need to go back to using the inhaler before even the shortest of walks). The asthma is making me bark bark bark all the time, and DH even complained several times about it. Just that dry, hacking, relentless cough. Blech.

I had a wedding on Saturday, got in a little beach walk at Island Beach. Sunday I was supposed to go in the pool, but my dad didn't turn the heater on or scrub the algae down, so... the dog got in a swim. Last night I was supposed to get my dad so we could walk in the park because DH doesn't like me walking on the streets...and there was a fatality in town that shut down the only access from here to either the park or my parents' house. DH was on the scene until 9 pm, so I stayed home and made him a nice dinner. He needed it. Because of the accident, he had to stay up late washing his uniform, so we went to bed late and got up early. I'm exhausted.

I am trying to walk more during the day. I'm getting in close to two miles at work wandering around the building (so that I don't feel so bad for being a scatterbrain and having to walk back and forth so many times!). Anyway, I'm getting my workouts in that way, although we need to get seriously training. We only have a little bit of time left! Yikes!

:welcome: new WISH teammates. This is a great place to set up camp.

Racy Tracy
: What if you went to your boss, said you were taking an 8-week maternity leave, and then said, "Just kidding. I only need three hours." Maybe your request wouldn't seem so unreasonable. ;) And feel better!

WOOHOO! AlohaJeff IS going to be at the marathon! :banana: Yippee!

Hi, Panda! :cool1: I'll be back on the walking thread soon. I've almost finished straightening out the new school year. :)

Maura,
stay dry!

Carrie
, I'm with Hockeygirl. Rutgers is breaking hearts all over this year, AND they wouldn't sell us tickets. :headache: There's more to life than college football. After all, it's almost hockey season. :cool2: And I need to stop being a slug also. But I'm really good at it!

CarolA, way to go getting the miles in before work! DH wants me to try, but I really can't be out walking at 5 am. it's a genetic impossibility for me without the lure of immediate bling. And I don't have plane tix or a reservation for January, since DH has changed his mind a squillion times as to whether we are buying DVC/season passes.

For our Texas and Louisiana friends digging out of rubble, :grouphug:

Cecilia
, TWO half marathons? Woohoo! I'm worried about finishing one! (But with my WISH team, I know I can do it!) You go! :)

Mooshu
, I admire your spunk. I think if a race offered me an oxygen bar, I would be worried... :eek: I can't wait to see you in January!

Terri
, I agree. It's not fair sometimes that if you don't have kids (or worse, if you are single) that some people think that means you don't have a family. :( And sorry I won't see in January. I guess I'll just have to do it again 2010. :D

Hockeychic
, way to go on that humid 10K! :) Woohoo!

Howard, way to go getting those miles in! Woohoo! And DH and I loved taking ballroom dance classes. We took them for years, but then the teacher stopped giving them. Enjoy! I miss it. :)

Jennifer,
I'm a teacher and interviewed for TfA many years ago. I don't know if my experience is relevant, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Claire
, your doggy paddle comment made me laugh. All through the Olympics, I kept telling DH that I could be a champion swimmer/diver/triathlete etc except I don't like my face wet. :rolleyes1 Yeah, that's the big problem. :lmao:

Kira, I'm here at the shore, and I was watching the same forecast and hoping that, while it breaks my heart to say goodbye to summer, it might make training a little easier.

Hi, Allyson! :cheer2: Cheering on someone is a workout. Cheerleaders say it's a sport. I count it. :) (Did you make a pyramid or do big jumps? ;) )

Boomdocker, I'm at the back of the pack. We had fun there. I only want to walk faster/interval so I don't have to be on the course forever.... Welcome!

Joan
, sounds like you are on your way to a great 15K! Woohoo! :cool1:

Shan
, keep up the good work! And let me know how that skirt works out. So many of the skirts had big bunched up fabric on my butt...

Kristi
, way to go getting those steps in. That's the good thing about having a workout partner: it pushes you to keep going. Take care of those shins! I think Panda had some great shin stretches...

Hi, Amy!

Michelle
, good luck on your 5K!

All right, I'm bleary eyed from staring at the screen, so my deepest apologies if I forgot anyone. :)

TracyZ - Welcome, I hope you are able to find lots of encouragement here.

Hawaii Jeff - Glad you were able to find a slot for Goofy.

Cam and Howard - Have fun at the dance lesson, I will be waiting to see you on Dancing With the Stars now. If I haven't seen already, hope your trip was a good one and you can calm down now that you are back.

Carrie - Which team are you rooting for. It does seem a little early for a season to have gone bad.

Mel - Ahhhh, I think the Big 12 is right behind the SEC though. Not that my team will be a threat for anyone this year.

Lily - Good to see you. Hope you are enjoying retirement and are able to slow down a little.

Hello to all the other people but kids are calling now and I think it is bedtime for everyone.

Bill

I cranked out 8 miles with Guru Les, who's sick. I finally had a chance to run him into the ground. :lmao: 8:57 average pace. Low of 8:08, high of 9:56.

Jeff: Ooo Disney cruise? I wish! I've never been on a cruise, but I figure Disney one would be good.

Claire,

We went to Alaska on our honeymoon in 1995, and on our 2nd anniversary with my in-laws in tow. Did the inside passage both times, and it was incredible! I've only seen a tiny sliver of the vast frontier of Alaska. I would love to go back and see the interior.

I would also love to do the marathon cruise that WISHers Pat & Jim went on earlier this summer.

The food is they offer is unbelievable. You do have to workout on a daily basis to keep the weight off. :yay:

All I can say is, do it before you regret never going!

Good Morning all you fun WiSH people!!!!!

I am getting ready for work and thought I would post before I left.

Duckie: That sounds like a great idea and I might use it at some point when they really hassle me about a day off here and there. Hope all is well with you and it seems like you are doing better!!:banana:

Jeff: I think that might well be the only time you can run Guru Les in the ground is when he is sick - at least for now:rotfl: .

Take care everyone and have a great Wednesday (is there anything great about Wednesdays??? It is just stuck there in the middle. At work if you are standing in the way of an area or table or drawer that you need to get too, we say, "You're acting like Wednesday." :lmao: )

Racey Tracy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter