Wk of Oct 30--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

It worries me that everyone has some knee issues--so indulge me as I share what I have been told by coaches, docs and such.

If you have a knee problem--hills are a bad thing. And for some reason--downhill is worse than uphill (probably b/c going down, you think you can go as fast as possible...this encourages a longer stride..which makes more load on your knee...which stresses your knee). If you can--try to find a flat course--or just walk downhill.

Speed---this can be a problem. Remember the babystep thing I shared. If you are running with long strides and are far from 90 steps per minute (per foot)--like at 85 or lower...your stride is too long and you are running too fast. Shorten the stride, get to 90--you may find your pace improve, and the knee pain go away.

These two, I have been told...are primary culprits in knee issues when overuse/exercise causes knee pain.

Other things....you can try some knee straps--if the pain disappears while you run or walk...and then doesn't reappear after the run and the strap is off--you could just have a weird anatomy that causes grinding. I have heard this is runner's knee...but it could be something else as well. The strap holds things firm in place so your parts aren't grinding one another.

Meniscus--my problem was a tear...an MRI is the only way to diagnose--I had it for YEARS. Swelling is not a sign...but my knee did finally start to swell...so I had to get it checked. The telling symptom--a very sharp pin pointed pain when the leg is frully bent (like when you stretch your quad or are in a squating position). My pain was on my tibia (lower leg bone) though it was a knee problem. And pressing firmly to the right side of my knee cap was painful (other side and both sides of the other knee--felt just like pressure). All these points....if painful when pressure is apply (for me, felt like when you press a fresh bruise)...could be caused by a torn meniscus.

Plica in your knee can also cause pain. Not everyone has them...but when you do--it will cause problems as you age. Exercise is not the cause...so if you can tolerate it--you can do it.

If you have any swelling in your knee at all--this is not normal.

Take care of those knees, ladies! If it is still hurting with knee braces and such, something is probably wrong and you need to identify what it is--to rule out that running will make it worse. If you know what it is--you can know how to run with it. Of course--you need a runner friendly doctor. B/c lots will tell you--if it hurts...then don't do it. Who likes to listen to that stuff?

Not an expert---just a friend. :flower:

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Can you guys share the e-mail with the rest of the class, please :)

Here ya go, Lisa!

2006 Marathon Programs...In the Mail

Your 2006 WALT DISNEY WORLD. Marathon Weekend Program is being mailed to you this week. It can take up to two weeks to ship, so you can expect it to arrive sometime before Thanksgiving. The Program is designed to be a resource to help you maximize your WALT DISNEY WORLD. Marathon Weekend experience. Please refer to the program for information regarding many new Marathon Weekend procedures due to the new two-day format.

Also arriving with your 2006 Marathon Program will be your Official Race Number Pick-up Card and Waiver. You are required to sign your Race Number Pick-up Card and Waiver and bring it with you to Disney's Health and Fitness Expo - Presented by TYLENOL. 8 Hour in order to receive your official race number and race packet. Don't forget to pack your Race Number Pick-up Card and Waiver and bring it with you to the Expo!

Anyone have their own Champion Chip? Looks like a toy that I don't yet have, but I'm not sure I really need one. Anyone have any advice?

Nancy...I'll be there in 2007! Thanks for sharing the photo of your new house...it looks wonderful! :love:

MelR...ask all the questions you like. DH and I used to think we knew a lot about Disney 'til we found these boards. We'll be going to WDW this weekend if anyone needs anything ;)

This will be my first half-marathon and I'm really excited. I train with other runners who will run the OC (Orange County California) Marathon on the same weekend. But, I'm flying to Disney for my event.

How do I find someone to run with at my pace? I do 5/1 (run/walk) intervals at about a 11:30 pace (so far). When I run alone, all I want to do is stop. I definitely need someone to chat with during the event.

Any ideas?

Here is the part about the change in courses.

Course Updates

Please note that there have been slight modifications to both the Half Marathon and the Marathon courses. One major change is that there will now be two starting lines for the Marathon. Marathon participants will be assigned to one of two starts: Marathon Blue or Marathon Red. Your starting location will be determined by your assigned corral. Please review the updated Marathon and Half Marathon Course Maps for more information.

Half Map http://adisneyworldsports.disney.go.com/media/dwws_v0220/en_US/pdf/06HalfCourseMap.pdf

Full Map http://adisneyworldsports.disney.go.com/media/dwws_v0220/en_US/pdf/06FullCourseMap.pdf

The links go to the new course maps.

Could it be like other races (NYC comes to mind)--that one color will be the faster athletes and their corrals....and the other the slower athletes and their corrals?

(like A-D for example would be red..and then E-H would be blue).

championchip- yes, I have my own but... the reason was the ones provided at triathlons came on non-padded velcro straps. I always ended up with the blister to open bleeding sores progression by the end of even sprint distance triathlons. So I bought my own chip on a neoprene strap. The ones used at running races tend to tie to shoe laces so the reason I bought mine isn't as much of a problem.

I'm curious about this red and blue start with the courses merging between miles 3 and 4. Maybe our packets will tell us which one we'll be at. It does make some sense as 3 miles will be plenty of distance to allow separation between the 9 min/mile and 15 min/mile and everyone in between so maybe the congestion will be eased.

Hotels- We are also DVC members but I cancelled the ressie on points and booked using the Best Rate program at Port Orleans Riverside. I know that French Quarter is a little closer but I think that the walk between two isn't bad. It looks like the half start will be a bigger issue to get to. What about driving to the Epcot parking lot? That looks fairly close to the half start but I don't know what they will do about road closures so it might be hassle. We will have a rental car for the first time in our trips to WDW as I think it will make things like getting to Trails End easier. It's easy to get to parks but a bit harder to other resorts sometimes.

Had a decent run this afternoon. Actually got to run in the daylight today. Tomorrow will be after dark though as I have an orthopedics preceptorship in the morning and then 4 hours of lecture. Nathalie and I will run after class at 5 and then we have to work at the last anatomy review for the first years. Hopefully my illuminite stuff will come tomorrow.

PD :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: on the injuries that range from knee surgery to a lopped off finger. It sounds like most of the aches and pains are related to what we medical types refer to as overuse injuries though. The mileage in whatever training program you're using has been going up and people's bodies respond differently to that. Sometimes, if you're not willing to rest completely to let it heal, you just have to tough the pain out. It's better to get that confirmed and make sure that it's not something that's going to progress though.

That's what we first thought. It would spread out the runners a little more. DW thinks the Blue course is the best because it takes you through the World Showcase when it is still dark.

Now the question is what are the times that will get you into the color group that you want.

Could it be like other races (NYC comes to mind)--that one color will be the faster athletes and their corrals....and the other the slower athletes and their corrals?
I say that is it. One for faster and one for slower. I am glad I was not the last one to see this. The marine corp marathon did this this year. They did not start @ 2 different places, but @ 2 different times. This is what I understood from Ron. Xterratri (Hope this is spelled right) was there I think and may have more insite.
Christa

I just hope I don't get too separated by hubby--he couldn't quite remember his finish time (he thinks he put 3:00) and instead of guessing...I just put 2:15...figure I can always fall back. Hope we're at least the same color.

:(

Hi everyone,

It really seems like the injured are creaping up in numbers :earseek: . :wizard: to us all!!!!!!!!

As far as plans I have not made plane nor resort ressies because of my nagging injury. I am at the point of not knowing if I'll make the start line so I don't want to make ressies. I know I will have to eventually but I'm trying to put it off until I'm at least able to run again.

As far as my bum it is doing slighly better. The nagging soreness is still there but the pain has been much lower the last couple days. Hoepfully the PT/ice will bring relief soon.

Good luck everyone!

It looks like the half marathon is all starting from the same place. Only the full has two different starting points right now.

SoCalSnail said:
This will be my first half-marathon and I'm really excited. I train with other runners who will run the OC (Orange County California) Marathon on the same weekend. But, I'm flying to Disney for my event.

How do I find someone to run with at my pace? I do 5/1 (run/walk) intervals at about a 11:30 pace (so far). When I run alone, all I want to do is stop. I definitely need someone to chat with during the event.

Any ideas?

Welcome SoCalSnail!! :wave2:
There are a lot of runners/walkers here doing the half. I am sure you could try and meet up with some. Come by and post so we can get to know you.

Has anyone ever ran with a pace bunny?? This was also in our email from Disney Marathon today.....

Clif Bar Pace Team

The Clif Bar Pace Team is excited to be the “official” Pace Team of the Walt Disney World Marathon! This group of guys & gals truly enjoy helping runners of all abilities achieve their Marathon goals, and are looking forward to meeting and running with you in January! If you want to run with a pace leader who knows how to keep even splits, get you to the finish within two minutes UNDER chip time, and enjoy the camaraderie of a group working together towards a common goal, the Clif Bar Pace Team is for you!

Groups being offered are as follows (Marathon Only): 3:10, 3:20, 3:30, 3:40, 3:50, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 5:00, and 5:30. As always, participation is FREE, and registration is open to ALL runners of the Disney Marathon. Each online registrant will be sent a free CLIF BAR TRAINING KIT, which includes samples of their products along with some useful training and race-day tips.

Register to receive your free TRAINING KIT

Marine Corps Marathon experiences- I didn't actually see the start as I was at Aid Station 6(between miles 16 and 17) but I know they did 2 waves, scarlet or red for us normal people and gold or yellow. The bibs were color coded to wave and it looked like they were based on seed time although some gold runners had caught up to some scarlet runners by the point they came by us.

MCM was also a Clif pace race. The pace group leaders carried balloons with their goal time on it. I saw the groups up to 4 hours come by and then I got busy and was working rather than watching and cheering. I'm signed up for a group for WDW because I have a tendency to take it out too fast. While I would love to qualify for Boston, I don't think I have the miles in my legs to run a 3:40 yet so I signed up for the 4 hr group. Hopefully the corral system will be set up to allow people to hook up with the pace groups they want to run with.

You know how people talk about the progress we've made since last winter, I've been feeling it too. 6 miles is now just a routine weekday run rather than a 'long' run and I think I can actually run a Boston pace. Probably not at WDW this January but within the next year, definitely. I used to think that was out of my reach. I thought that the third knee reconstruction had toasted completely what little speed I had but I guess I just needed patience, persistance, and a training plan.

15 minutes on the bike this evening. This range of motion exercises is almost cardio. :banana: I got up to 80rpm at one point...very fluid, no restrictions...and no sweat (so not a lot of effort).

Still can't find that stupid quad though.

"Come out, come out wherever you are!!!!!!" pirate:

Welcome SoCalSnail, Welcome to our group! You will want to stop by here often. As you post and get to know us and we you things will begin to sort out. We are planning a meet up on the weekend at Trails End and you may want to check into that thread too. I look forward to getting to know you.

I hope that the split start locations will allow for a smooth transition. I am envisioning it as the start for the half and full having 2 different locales but joining in along the route. Is the "merge" further along though? I loved going around Showcase in the a.m., but I am thinking I will be in the group that does not get that opportunity. That was spectacular for sure!

I went outdoors tonight for a 5.2 jaunt. It was spectacular. Cooler than I expected so I guess that is why I hustled more and managed a 12:29 pace for the effort. That is great for me and I will take it. Now I will not sustain this at all, but it was fun doing it and sure beat that dreaded TM.

Lisa, glad to hear of your progress. Good that you and DH will be going together for this year and next. Seems like the '07 team is shaping already.

You would all be so proud of me!! I did it. Sortof. I have reservations for the Port Orleans French Quarter for Thurs 1/5 - 1/10 and then I'm moving to Pop Century until 1/12. I did 5 day park hopper for all three of us and the meal plan for the 1st 5 days. For some reason, I could not get it when I move the the pop century. I don't care though, because when I registered for goofy, I signed up for a card to earn points and i can redeem those for whatever for the trip so I can use them for food and toys the boy wants to buy. I also got a direct flight from rogers to orlando (yes craig, a ton has changed since your mom was born thanks to sam walton and wal-mart! now we have an airport with direct flights to tons of major cities mostly so walmart people and vendors for the products they carry can fly in and out!!) All I have to do now is go pay the travel agent (it's true... I am a weenie and I let her do most of the work but I had to help her with the POFQ stuff becuase she couldn't find me a room and I was persistant!!)

I have this huge book I'm supposed to read so that we can figure out where to eat and what to ride and all that, but I'm pretty sure I could get through the Lord of the Rings trilogy or Pride and Prejudice again before I get through this disney guide!!

I'm thinking I need to ask you guys what the boy would like (somebody mentioned eating with the disney characters. That sounds like something he would enjoy.) Also can kids go to the nicer places? And what exactly is pleasure island???? I know the resorts offer babysitting in the room for FIFTEEN DOLLARS AN HOUR ouch!!

Yesterday I did 3 miles of speedwork, this evening did 8 miles at around 10:30 pace. Tomorrow morn I am scheduled for 17. I'm a little nervous about this distance. The last road LR was 14 and I did last weeks, as I have reported, on the trail. I'd like to finish in time to get groceries before the boy is out of preschool!!!! This is my first back to back long run. I will probably only do 2 more like this. I'll do 2 10's before my 2 20's. I'm thinking my marathon pace may be a little slower than 11, maybe around 11:15, but if I have you guys to talk to and your doing 11, I'm with you!!!!!

I feel so accomplished! I have some major plans completed!

Mel - There are many character dinig experiences. Breakfasts, except CInderella's Royal Table, aka CRT, are the best value. Pick your son's favorite character and we'll tell you where they are. (Your book should have it too.)

It's Disney, kids can go everywhere.

Pleasure Island is a more adult place with multiple clubs. I hear kids are allowed there now too, used to be 19 and up, but I haven't bene there since the change.

Can't help with sitters, but I know others can.

I'm torn btwn trying to run a bit today (only 2 days rest for hip since last attempt) or waiting until Saturday to try again. DOn't know if starting again with 14 is a great idea, but I missed my 6 last Sat and I am so afraid of missing this 14. DH tells me I shouldn't so it no matter how I feel. If I don't run, I may go on a bike ride for the same length of time or walk.

MelRhoads said:
All I have to do now is go pay the travel agent (it's true... I am a weenie and I let her do most of the work but I had to help her with the POFQ stuff becuase she couldn't find me a room and I was persistant!!

Mel, Wow, very impressive!! Good job, but how on earth did you get POfQ?? I checked on the Disney site and called CRO and they told me there were no rooms left. I should try and call again.

Colleen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter