With so many cruise lines/itineraries, how do you decide?

We have done European cruises each of the last two summers. Last year, we did the 9-night Greek Isles on the Magic and it was maybe one of our favorite cruises we had ever done up to that point. Mykonos may be my favorite port ever, it was just beautiful. That said, it was really, really hot. The day in Naples was just downright miserable as it was 99 degrees with 90% humidity mixed in with all of the sulfur from the volcano. It was brutal. That said, I'd do that cruise again tomorrow!

This year, we took Regal Princess on a 12-night British Isles cruise, and quite honestly, it was as good if not better than our Med cruise. It is very different, but we went to places, like Guernsey, that I would have never thought to go to that ended up being amazing. Also, loved the Antrim Coast in Northern Ireland (as well as the Titanic Museum in Belfast), the Jameson Distillery in Midleton (Cork), Dublin, Glasgow, and being able to play golf in the Scottish Highlands. Absolutely loved Edinburgh. If your kids are Harry Potter fans, there is a lot to see here (like Tom Riddle's grave, for instance) and the Castle and Holyrood House are must sees. In Le Havre, we did a full day Normandy beaches tour which was poignant and amazing! Also, since you are already over there, you can bookend your cruise by visiting London and Paris.

And kudos to Princess. We absolutely loved Regal Princess. There's no rock wall or ice rink, but who needs that in the British Isles. Food (esp. buffet) was very good and we used Anytime dining, so never a need to be rushed to get back to port. And, to top it off, my DD's friend won the "Voice of the Ocean" competition on board! Already planning another Princess cruise for next year! (ETA: We still love the Magic too! Have 2 cruises booked on her as well...)

Check out the DCL Trip Reports on European Cruises to see what can be done and what you can see. I've written two on the Northern European Cruise offered by Disney. We also did DCL's Norway Cruise. For all three we spent several days in Copenhagen both before and after the cruises. It's a great city to explore and the mass transportation opportunities are unbelievable.

We haven't done any Mediterranean Cruises because we don't like a lot of heat. We have, however, visited Italy and a number of other countries a number of times years before and after we took the cruises.

If you had said you were interested in a British cruise, I can’t imagine how many posts you would have seen saying, Yes! Do It.

I’d be right there with them. And promoting Princess. After Disney, it’s our most cruised line.

I think opportunities present themselves at different times in your life and you just take them (or not).

Then start looking at websites, videos, cruise offers…

For example, in pre-internet days, I was at the library, perusing the shelves. Pulled out a travel book for New Zealand and stated, “One day I’d like to go to New Zealand.” Never had thought about it before and I didn’t have a lot of travel experience. Six months later, American Airlines had an offer of $895 RT to NZ or Australia. (This was during the Gulf War.).

That year, I was on a two week vacation, driving around a very beautiful set of islands populated by very lovely people. One of my favorite places to have visited.

And no internet to help me plan! That was the days of travel guides and paper maps.

I do love a cruise vacation to get a sample of the world, too. It is so easy to go from country to country without packing, repacking and catching planes and trains.

If you are ready for this vacation to be a cruise, start looking at the sites for different cruise lines. Or travel books for those areas. A photograph of a village may call out to you. See if something catches your eye. I watch videos of cruisers and discover new places. Just saw the town of Honfleur near the port of LeHavre and think it would be a great visit. Another push for a British Isles cruise. I’m beginning to think that could be my 65th birthday cruise.

You have taken step one: interest in a vacation. Specifically, cruise.

And identified two broad geographical areas: Baltic or Med. With dates.

If you stick with known cruise lines, you should be okay. It does help to know which companies or particular ships you like or would avoid.

A good resource for a broad overview of available cruises and destinations, listed by dates, length of cruise, price would be Vacations To Go. Sign up/in by email - I don’t get spam from them.

And then one ys may something or point you to someplace you hadn’t considered. Hope you have as much researching as I do. And then a great cruise.

Keep asking. (As a teacher, that’s pretty much preaching to the choir, isn’t it? My idea of a teacher is one who piques curiosity and guides you to tools and resources to make discoveries.)

Honestly I watch a ton of YouTube vloggers who review cruises. I personally wouldn’t do a Mediterranean cruise. Greece yes but Spain, France, and Italy are better toured on land in my opinion. For a Northern European cruise I’ve actually been looking at the itineraries that go farther north in Norway and also over to Iceland. I figure the rest of Norway could very nicely be visited by train or ferry but farther north would really be unique.

Thanks so much for all of these great replies!!

We are leaning much more heavily toward a northern/British Isles cruise. The main sights seem much easier to get to and I like that. I found a website that's been really helpful: whatsinport.com. It basically gives in overview of what's in the port, how easy it is to get to main attractions, etc. I want a mix of just getting off the ship and wandering around, and a few organized excursions.

I've been looking at Princess and Celebrity mostly.

Thanks so much for all of these great replies!!

We are leaning much more heavily toward a northern/British Isles cruise. The main sights seem much easier to get to and I like that. I found a website that's been really helpful: whatsinport.com. It basically gives in overview of what's in the port, how easy it is to get to main attractions, etc. I want a mix of just getting off the ship and wandering around, and a few organized excursions.

I've been looking at Princess and Celebrity mostly.

Thanks for that website info. Another resource in our arsenal.

My sister was saying we could do another Northbound AK cruise on Princess for my 65th birthday - and I said I was actually thinking of a British Isles cruise. The idea was more firmly cemented by this thread! I keep seeing videos by cruisers to that destination.

Keep posting what you discover and do - it may provide others with some good ideas and inspiration!

I’ve got a few years to plan, but am building my wishlist as I research.

Belfast - Giant’s Causeway
Outer Hebrides - Callanish Stones
Orkneys - Stones of Stenness (there’s a theme there; I have visited Stonehenge)
Highlands of Scotland - including a loch or two
Le Havre - Honfleur, Etretat and its white cliffs, Normandy WWII cemetery

I watched a video of Kissing the Blarney Stone; just can’t imagine the appeal of standing in a long line and climbing narrow stairs for that.

Glasgow looks more interesting than I thought; I had discounted it. That’s a reminder to do some research!

Looking forward to your updates if you choose to post.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter