WISHES IS GONE (leaving in May)

Questions and comments:

• Could someone verify some history for me: Are "Fantasy in the sky" and "Wishes" the only primary, every night type fireworks works shows at Magic Kingdom? ( not talking about holiday, special event shows etc.)
  • If I understand correctly Fantasy in the Sky started in the mid 1970's and lasted until Wishes in 2003, was there anything before Fantasy/ what was it?

• If this is the case, Wishes had a relatively short run. I made three trips during the apparent time before Wishes(as a pre teen and young adult). I remember fireworks but couldn't tell you what the show was specifically.
  • Hate to see wishes go but understand change and all that bla, bla bla! Hope the new show is as spectacular?? But I do not take much comfort in saying this as I have not been too impressed with some of the recent changes/additions in shows. It does make me feel better to hear the comments made about the new show at Disneyland! So that is a bright spot in this concerning news.
  • As far as reasoning why? Obviously to add a new element/ change in the entertainment is one but based on some of the cost cutting measures I seen the past few years I can't help thinking that would be one of the major reasons. Even if some are tired of hearing that reason.
  • A concern I have is viewing the show! If it does incorporate more projection elements as some have indicated I find it hard to get an unblemished view of the castle and the fireworks. For example with the new hub design the many light poles and the poles with the large cylinder casings(I assume speakers) blocked about every clear photo view of the castle + fireworks I had, even from the FP+ viewing section (which was a waste of a FP). Not to mention viewing the projection from other locations like BLT, Poly, VGF, Fantasyland, etc will not exist. What will be lost seeing the fireworks but not the projection??
  • I do think they may incorporate drones. Which could be good, even though I was not that impressed with the recent superbowl halftime show debut of drones. I've been out of loop for a while but do recall hearing something about WDw getting approval for drone flights from the FAA.
  • I was curious about some comments about how much the Wishes display cost each night? A million dollars??? I have no idea of the WDW budget but just by living in the real world and basic understanding of economics, I can't believe this to be anywhere close to being the actual nightly cost? It may have been the initial cost to create, set up, produce the show but not every night?? The little research I just did most on line articles seem to point to about $40K-$50K, which seems reasonable for that show.
Anyway hope the new show is a good one!!

-

- Fantasy in the Sky
Opening date 1971 (MK opened)
Closing date 2003
Replaced by Wishes

- Drones, got approval for MK
But don't expect any time soon
There is a safety issue to fine tune
And there are no buffers in MK

- I think the tag $50,000 per show is the widely reported
Million per night is ......... :rolleyes:

I have very mixed feeling about this and I have never even seen wishes. Seeing wishes from in front of the castle was my sons big must do for our upcoming trip. He has watched it on YouTube many times and he was so looking forward to finally getting to see it in person. When our travel agent emailed us the news a couple of days ago and I had to tell him he was so bummed. I'm not very happy that we are going to miss out on something we were so excited to experience and now never will.

On the other hand I LOVED Disneyland Forever and I was dismayed when it was gone after the 60th. I had expected it to stay around much longer like the 50th entertainment did. If the new show is on the level of Disneyland Forever it will be beyond awesome.

Last edited:

Im going in December and plan on going to Mvmcp as well as booking California Grill just to watch the MK fireworks. Does anyone know if there will be a holiday version of the new fireworks? They had holiday Wishes during the Christmas party and now im wondering if we will still having holiday wishes which I doubt or there will be a new holiday version of the new fireworks? Its unlikely that they will stop the fireworks all together at the Christmas party as this is a big draw so any thoughts?

Im going in December and plan on going to Mvmcp as well as booking California Grill just to watch the MK fireworks. Does anyone know if there will be a holiday version of the new fireworks? They had holiday Wishes during the Christmas party and now im wondering if we will still having holiday wishes which I doubt or there will be a new holiday version of the new fireworks? Its unlikely that they will stop the fireworks all together at the Christmas party as this is a big draw so any thoughts?

It was posted earlier in this thread that the fireworks for MVMCP and MNSSHP will remain the same.

Don't worry everyone, we have Pandora to look forward too!

(Sorry for the sarcasm and to the people actually looking forward to it)

At this point Pandora is about the only thing keeping me from scrapping my trip and eating the change fee on the airline tickets...

Happy I will be able to go see it once more before it ends. Kind of sad to see it go but I'm hopeful that the new one will be great too!

Well, ended up booking a farewell to Wishes trip after all. They should have a special offer for this. :tilt: Dh decided to tag along, so it will be the three of us. Used Orbitz to book All Stars Music and got the additional 15% off. Used points for airfare (but this means we won't have enough for all of our August trip or my dd's summer visit so will have to put out cash for those) We are doing MK one day and a goodbye to Disney Quest another. Probably spend the last day swimming and at Disney Springs. Start out Saturday am while still dark and get home Monday night.

Well, ended up booking a farewell to Wishes trip after all. They should have a special offer for this. :tilt: Dh decided to tag along, so it will be the three of us. Used Orbitz to book All Stars Music and got the additional 15% off. Used points for airfare (but this means we won't have enough for all of our August trip or my dd's summer visit so will have to put out cash for those) We are doing MK one day and a goodbye to Disney Quest another. Probably spend the last day swimming and at Disney Springs. Start out Saturday am while still dark and get home Monday night.

Closing things seems to be pretty big business for Disney lately. ;)

Congrats on the trip.

I wish they wouldn't get rid of Wishes, so we'll probably book a quick trip to say bye. We're still irritated they got rid of the MK train welcome show!

- Fantasy in the Sky
Opening date 1971 (MK opened)
Closing date 2003
Replaced by Wishes

- Drones, got approval for MK
But don't expect any time soon
There is a safety issue to fine tune
And there are no buffers in MK

- I think the tag $50,000 per show is the widely reported
Million per night is ......... :rolleyes:

Heh... I always thought it was interesting that they ran Fantasy in the Sky on NYE - Now they're going to leave Holiday Wishes and Hallo Wishes going during the holidays...

They're just building up this layer of fireworks cruft... ;)

I'm glad my Mom and I were able to see Wishes one last time back in November before it goes away. I'm excited to see the new show though and hope they bring Wishes back for special occasions.

Heh... I always thought it was interesting that they ran Fantasy in the Sky on NYE - Now they're going to leave Holiday Wishes and Hallo Wishes going during the holidays...

They're just building up this layer of fireworks cruft... ;)

Are they? I don't think anyone knows what will happen during parties.

The party projections are not good, they very well could do a super cool projection show with minimal fireworks just like Star Wars.

Anyone have any ideas of when the transition from Wishes to the new show will occur? I know that May 12th is the first official date, but would they do "soft opening" style shows during the week or two before (similar to the way they have been doing RoL)?

My trip is scheduled for April 29 - May 5 so I'm curious to know if I'll get to see Wishes one last time or whether I'll be seeing the new show.

Anyone have any ideas of when the transition from Wishes to the new show will occur? I know that May 12th is the first official date, but would they do "soft opening" style shows during the week or two before (similar to the way they have been doing RoL)?

My trip is scheduled for April 29 - May 5 so I'm curious to know if I'll get to see Wishes one last time or whether I'll be seeing the new show.

Wishes will continue to run nightly until May 11th, then Happily Ever After will begin May 12th.

Are they? I don't think anyone knows what will happen during parties.

The party projections are not good, they very well could do a super cool projection show with minimal fireworks just like Star Wars.

From what I've read elsewhere on this thread which supposedly came from the DisneyParks blog - Holiday Wishes and Hallo Wishes remain the same. Frankly I think they'd replace all of them at the same time.

Wishes will continue to run nightly until May 11th, then Happily Ever After will begin May 12th.

Glad to know that I will see Wishes one last time.

Guess I'll have to take a trip next year so I can see the new show and Pandora in AK. ;)

We are going to MK the first week of March and I already told my family we will stay late that day to watch Wishes one last time. Since it's not a must-do for our family we don't always stay that late. I am personally okay with the change. I like change, renewal. To confine yourself in the past is boring imo.

The most overrated thing on property in my humble opinion. Even my 7 year old was like... dad lets get to the buses lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter