Wish Stateroom TV's

What you want to do is unplug the network cable at the back first and power cycle the TV. The network cable sends programming instructions that disable the HDMI port. This has worked for us every time in the last thee years - including on the WBPC sailing in March on the Wonder (even if unusable because of the small screen). More on the approach:
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-outsmart-your-hotel-room-tv-and-use-its-hdmi-por-1841694937

You may also want to pick up a right angle HDMI adapter to work with the flush mounts:
https://www.amazon.com/VCE-Supported-Degree-Female-Adapter/dp/B00Y7UT6EK/
Thank you for this! We tried googling a workaround, but got nowhere.

Although, it appears it may not work if the remote becomes disabled. The TV in the Grand Californian room did not have ANY external buttons at all. We looked on all edges, in the back, etc. Without the remote, the TV is unusable. We did unplug the main HDMI cable that was plugged into the box on the back, and then the remote wouldn't work at all. So, this trick may not work in all cases.

Although, it appears it may not work if the remote becomes disabled. The TV in the Grand Californian room did not have ANY external buttons at all. We looked on all edges, in the back, etc. Without the remote, the TV is unusable. We did unplug the main HDMI cable that was plugged into the box on the back, and then the remote wouldn't work at all. So, this trick may not work in all cases.
While we have yet to come across a TV without physical overrides, you can carry a universal or learning remote to handle this. Your smartphone may also have an IR blaster and a remote app.

Many frequent travelers keep universal remotes anyways. Hotels don't really prioritize cleaning their remotes much during busy times - outside of maybe the COVID protocols.

Many frequent travelers keep universal remotes anyways. Hotels don't really prioritize cleaning their remotes much during busy times - outside of maybe the COVID protocols.
They didn't clean the remotes then, either. They just put them into plastic bags to make us feel better. Every bagged remote that I saw was still full of dust and grime and general ick.

Most hotels have their new TVs set up so that if you try and connect anything via an HDMI port, it either won't work at all, or it will set the volume at maximum without the ability to adjust it, making it impossible to use. This has been our experience at a Marriott and also just recently at the Grand Californian. My kids wanted to hook up their nintendo switch. Couldn't do it. Really frustrating.

I haven't seen pay per view options on a hotel tv for a long time...

The trick at the Grand Californian is to plug into the HDMI port on the box on the back of the TV, not the TV itself. When you press the input button, it's actually cycling the inputs on the box. Same with the volume button on the remote - it's changing the box volume. The TV is fixed at 100.

The trick at the Grand Californian is to plug into the HDMI port on the box on the back of the TV, not the TV itself. When you press the input button, it's actually cycling the inputs on the box. Same with the volume button on the remote - it's changing the box volume. The TV is fixed at 100.

We tried that. Did not work. I mean, we could play the Switch, but could absolutely not turn down the volume. Trust me, we tried every HDMI port we could find.

Have you done this recently since the room refurbishment a couple years ago? They switched out the TVs then. We had no issues doing this a few years ago with the old tvs.

We tried that. Did not work. I mean, we could play the Switch, but could absolutely not turn down the volume. Trust me, we tried every HDMI port we could find.

Have you done this recently since the room refurbishment a couple years ago? They switched out the TVs then. We had no issues doing this a few years ago with the old tvs.

I did it last month with my streaming device. When plugged into the TV it behaved as you described. Plugged into the box in the back it worked perfectly.

I did it last month with my streaming device. When plugged into the TV it behaved as you described. Plugged into the box in the back it worked perfectly.

Interesting. We will try again when we go back later this month. Do you have to unplug the HDMI cable that goes from the box into the TV and then plug into THAT port?

I was wondering if they were gonna put in another tv near the sofa bed area as well. Seems like it sucks that there is only 1 tv in the stateroom so your gonna have to either get the verandah chairs to move them inside or ask for more chairs.

I was wondering if they were gonna put in another tv near the sofa bed area as well. Seems like it sucks that there is only 1 tv in the stateroom so your gonna have to either get the verandah chairs to move them inside or ask for more chairs.
I was thinking the mirror would be a second TV, but I guess not. My DS loves to watch a movie before bed. I’m not sure how this set up will work.

We had a mirror TV at the Pacific Rim in Vancouver last month. It was kind of weird in the bathroom, but I guess it’s useful for some people!
Lots of people like watching the news/listening to music etc while getting ready. I'm not one of them (it just distracts me and slows me down) but my parents, grandparents and several roommates were like that. Usually they are the ones that take forever to get ready... :rolleyes1

So I think the new TV will work for some and not for others. However in the inside rooms the new TV is on a side wall so neither the bed nor the sofa actually face the TV. If there is no swivel at all this would make it completely useless unless you stand up and watch it. Surely they aren't that stupid are they?

The TV issue is the first thing my husband and I noticed! We cruised in the Fantasy before and definitely liked how that TV was placed better. It worked much better for our family of five.

Last edited:
Interesting. We will try again when we go back later this month. Do you have to unplug the HDMI cable that goes from the box into the TV and then plug into THAT port?
Please report back. My daughter wanted to bring her switch next time we stay at a Dis hotel. Thx

We cruised Princess to Alaska last month (on their newest ship) and was upgraded to their mini suite ..
which had 2 tv's....one in the sitting area. I was surprised how much I liked it. We didn't bring our kids but
I'm a very early riser and mornings sat in that area with coffee and watched some news while husband slept.

Frankly it didn't look any bigger than the DCL verandah room and if it was it wasn't much.

this depends on the TV, newer ones from various brands actually have modified firmware to block the HDMI port and no amount of finagling will get around it. (Whereas some brands still use the "signal over cable" to disable it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter