Wisdom teeth removal = legal and encouraged child abuse?

I had mine removed right after I joined the military. I assumed the military dentists just practiced stuff on new guys. They used valium to make us loopy for the procedure, and then required us to spend the night in the hospital. The funniest part was that we checked in to the hospital before the procedure in our uniforms, then were required to wear hospital gowns. We rode in an ambulance, literally across the street from the hospital, and the only footwear we had was our military boots, so we wore those with the gowns for the transit. It was pretty comical.

LOL, I was told I didn't have enough leave to recover from the procedure as a brand new LT with 0 days on the books. When I got out 10 years later, they still didn't think it was indicated...so no, not usually done for grins, even in the military.

My DD had braces (twice) and not only were her wisdom teeth about to un-do several years of expensive orthodontia, she also had two supernummerary (extra) teeth. It was medically indicated for her. Her recovery from having 6 teeth took most of her holiday break but the peace of mind was worth it.

Sure she was being dramatic but she had been in near constant pain for four days, unable to open her mouth, unable to eat, I'll cut her some slack on the drama.

It was not pleasant watching what she had to go through and as a voluntary but heavily doctor and parent pressured procedure with no ability to know for sure if in the long run it even provides any benefit I am not sure how I should handle my son in a few years when the doctors start down the same path.

Take a wait an see approach. Or get a second opinion, or even a third.
I don't believe everyone needs them out, I know a few people who have never had them taken out. I know way more that have, but I do feel it was because it was just what we are encouraged to do when they come in and not necessarily what we needed done.

Is the entire point of this just :stir: ???

Sigh....

Yeah, it's not a fun procedure. I had it when I was 16 or 17, but it is what it is. Had I known it was child abuse, I'd have sued and would be rich now....LOL

If having wisdom teeth removed is "abuse", then circumcision certainly is. That's a defenseless baby.

In many people, having wisdom teeth removed is absolutely essential to long term health. It also is not that bad. Good grief. Your daughter is going to experience much more difficult medical/dental procedures in her life. Hate to break it to her....

I'll also say this. Having them out when you are younger is MUCH easier than having to have them removed when you are older because they've rotted all to hell. Young people heal quicker and easier than older. Just a fact.

Both my kids will likely need theirs removed in a few years. We've encouraged them to do it while they are still on our dental plan. It's not cheap and having good dental insurance will make it easier than paying on their own once they are off our plan.
As pot-stirring goes, it would have been a more interesting thread if the OP had gone with infant circumcision or babies having their ears pierced...:rolleyes1

Last edited:

Two of my kids had them out, one did not. Of the two that did, one was having pain from the pressure the teeth were putting on his mouth. The other, the teeth were pushing her others to be crooked.

My son that did not have them out, paid the price later on when they had to be pulled and it was less pleasant than the surgery. I told him next time a dentist suggests something, maybe he will listen.

Neither of mine that had them surgically cut out had that much trouble. DD got her tonsils out two weeks after the oral surgery. THAT was much harder to get through.

DH had his removed in his 20’s, I had mine removed in my 40’s (after the last one came in). Dd22 has hers removed at 18, ds20 goes next week. Dd16 had one removed last year. For my family, it’s been a combination of infection and messing with straightness (5 out of 7 had braces, about $6500 each). I love our dentists and trust them 110% (and they don’t do the surgery).

Sure she was being dramatic but she had been in near constant pain for four days, unable to open her mouth, unable to eat, I'll cut her some slack on the drama.

It was not pleasant watching what she had to go through and as a voluntary but heavily doctor and parent pressured procedure with no ability to know for sure if in the long run it even provides any benefit I am not sure how I should handle my son in a few years when the doctors start down the same path.
Assuming your son will be in his late teens (even if younger than 18), why not let him make the decision? "Here's what the ortho says", "Here's what happened to your sister", "Here's what I would do". Do some people have complications/extended pain? I'm sure. But because it happens to some people, do you elect not to do it? Some people have complications (and have died) from giving birth. Should we make sure no one can become pregnant?

As with any medical procedure at any age, sometimes you have to trust the experts (e.g. doctor / dentist).

Wouldn't mom and dad be the experts? Wouldn't THE best expectation and knowledge of wisdom teeth come from the parents? Surely the only possibility of how someone's dental health will unfold is determined by the parents' experience because that's absolutely how genetics works.

If having wisdom teeth removed is "abuse", then circumcision certainly is. That's a defenseless baby.

In many people, having wisdom teeth removed is absolutely essential to long term health. It also is not that bad. Good grief. Your daughter is going to experience much more difficult medical/dental procedures in her life. Hate to break it to her....

I'll also say this. Having them out when you are younger is MUCH easier than having to have them removed when you are older because they've rotted all to hell. Young people heal quicker and easier than older. Just a fact.

Both my kids will likely need theirs removed in a few years. We've encouraged them to do it while they are still on our dental plan. It's not cheap and having good dental insurance will make it easier than paying on their own once they are off our plan.
I have friends in healthcare (doctors and nurses) who say that men have a much harder time when they get older with medical issues than women, because women have sp many painful in invasive medical experiences early on (starting with that first pap, pregnancy, childbirth...). Whenever my teenaged/young adult daughters complain about something, I tell them that this is nothing compared to what is coming their way.

My 19 year old daughter had her un-erupted wisdom teeth removed on January 2nd at the recommendation of her orthodontist and regular dentist. At the pre op appointment the oral surgeon listed an entirely different set of reasons why it was a good idea as well.

On the 6th as she was preparing to return to college she said that it was obvious to her now that wisdom teeth removal was legal and encouraged child abuse.

My wife and I both still have all our wisdom teeth. In my case I have one that came in during my 30's and three that still lay dorment. My wife has all 4 in and providing much of her chewing power.

It really makes me hesitant to have my sons removed in a couple years. It is one of those things you never know if it helped or not because you can't live you life with and without to compare.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

My 19 year old daughter had her un-erupted wisdom teeth removed on January 2nd at the recommendation of her orthodontist and regular dentist. At the pre op appointment the oral surgeon listed an entirely different set of reasons why it was a good idea as well.

On the 6th as she was preparing to return to college she said that it was obvious to her now that wisdom teeth removal was legal and encouraged child abuse.

My wife and I both still have all our wisdom teeth. In my case I have one that came in during my 30's and three that still lay dorment. My wife has all 4 in and providing much of her chewing power.

It really makes me hesitant to have my sons removed in a couple years. It is one of those things you never know if it helped or not because you can't live you life with and without to compare.
Yeah, because the ramblings of a 19 year old with no dental knowledge is far superior to that of a Dentist or Orthodontist........

Wouldn't mom and dad be the experts? Wouldn't THE best expectation and knowledge of wisdom teeth come from the parents? Surely the only possibility of how someone's dental health will unfold is determined by the parents' experience because that's absolutely how genetics works.
Not necessarily. I mean my MIL had breast cancer and required surgery and chemo. Her mother is still alive at 93...she has never had cancer. No one else in the family has had breast cancer. Should MIL have told doctors just forget about surgery and chemo because all of her other female relatives had lived into their 90s without cancer treatment? Obviously not. Unless you are talking about identical twins, everyone has unique genes so it doesn't "work" that way.

Did she have complications?

As a 20 year old, mine were impacted and surgically removed (I was knocked out). I had mine out on Friday. After the surgery, I was able to eat something and take my medicine. After the first percocet on Friday, I only took ibuprofen. I was fine to work on Monday (as a preschool teacher which required lots of talking and activity).

I’m 69. Never got wisdom teeth. Our daughter who is 34 never got them either. My husbAnd had them out as an adult in his 20s.​

There are a lot of unnecessary procedures done, in the US especially. Wisdom teeth, circumcision, C-sections. Used to be a lot of tonsillectomies. I went to a doctor for a cortisone shot for my trigger finger and he wanted to do carpel tunnel surgery on both my wrists which have never been an issue. Most people don't question their doctors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter