Wisconsin Dells in March

I live in the Dells
try to get the Stopper shopper on Wed, lots of coupons in there.
House of Embers was advertising a Friday fish plate with coupon for $6.I Sorrento's had good food too.
I never got around to eating at Moosejaw. Pizza Pub is not really very good, but does have the lunch buffet and that is two for one on the Fun Card too.
free golf, I wonder where that is? might be Christmas Mountain but i cannot imagine that they would be open yet.
two story sports bar in the downtown? might be Monks or might be sharkey's, which has closed. I do like the hamburgers at the bowling alley in down town.
the restaurant Northwoods would be on the two for one card too. it is good.
the good restaurants are expensive, house of Embers, Del Bar, Kaminsky Brothers chop house.

Some of our favorite restaurants: Moosejaw, Famous Daves, Del Bar is not budget friendly but worth every dime (yum), Pizza Pub used to be good but has gone downhill in recent years, Culvers is good for fast food.

Try to eat anywhere but at Mt Olympus-I found the food there pretty bad and it was very expensive.

IF you are looking for an outside activity, snow tubing is fun, if we still have snow.

Some of our favorite restaurants: Moosejaw, Famous Daves, Del Bar is not budget friendly but worth every dime (yum), Pizza Pub used to be good but has gone downhill in recent years, Culvers is good for fast food.

Try to eat anywhere but at Mt Olympus-I found the food there pretty bad and it was very expensive.

IF you are looking for an outside activity, snow tubing is fun, if we still have snow.

Mt.Olympus food is ridiculous in price. But so is a lot of the hotel food. If you're looking for something budget friendly but tasty, and don't live in Wisconsin, Culvers is a place you should try. They're known for their butterburgers, but have a bunch of great food. If nothing else, try their frozen custard!!!! (My family who used to live here comes up from Florida and eats there at least once a day while in town).

MONKS - Oh yes...............

I have been eating there since I was a baby believe it or not & I am 48 years old !!! On Sundays when we actually had some money (it was tight!) mom & dad would drive down there for a burger on Sunday night. It was such a treat. We have eaten several times at the one by the Wilderness, and yes it is fine, but the atmosphere is just not the same as downtown. They just announced they are building one in Middleton also near the Quaker Steak & Lube - so my son can get a 'fix' when he needs one too.

I have been told Nig's is a good place also (Have a Swig at Nigs!) but haven't tried it myself.

Pizzeria Uno CAN be moderately priced when you can all agree on a big pizza. If you have 5 teenage girls with you that all want something different..........well $$$$$.

The outlet mall is at Exit 92 but if it is super windy - avoid it - the set-up tunnels the wind down the middle & it can get cold.

Culvers is very decent fast food - they are priced a bit higher in the Dells than they are elsewhere, but still very survivable pricewise. They may even carry the $4 snackpacks??? They have one at exit 92 & I think also at 87. Dennys also located I believe at both of those exits.

And I still enjoy Ponderosa! We just never get there because Monks is our primary food destination!

im sorry to distract from the OP, it's something like a foreign exchange program ... like kids come over to go to school and then stay a bit to work. Lot's of Russians and Swedes. Pretty :) not much on the English though.

One time my girl and i were walking downtown and a payphone started to ring, so i walked towards it because im weird like that. Just as I went to pick it up a Russian man on a bicycle flew between me and the phone and shouted "IS FOR ME!" and then began to converse with the person on the other end in Russian. It was surreal.

Actually there is a big Polish population in the Dells but the majority speak English well.

there are 5 to 6 thousand students hired for the season in the Dells, but most of them speak English very well and can also make change without need of a calculator or cash register. There is a very big Polish population, they own lots of businesses, most of the students are central European.

I have been eating there since I was a baby believe it or not & I am 48 years old !!! On Sundays when we actually had some money (it was tight!) mom & dad would drive down there for a burger on Sunday night. It was such a treat. We have eaten several times at the one by the Wilderness, and yes it is fine, but the atmosphere is just not the same as downtown. They just announced they are building one in Middleton also near the Quaker Steak & Lube - so my son can get a 'fix' when he needs one too.

Oh wow, I didn't know that they are building one in Middleton. Although you are right, you can't beat the downtown one for atmosphere. You can always tell when you are getting close to Monks when walking downtown.

Michele - I hadn't seen a press release on it, but DS texted us on Friday night saying they were building it. But nothing is as good as the original!

We just got back from a weekend at the Dells. Pizzeria Uno had a deal buy 1 regular size stuffed pizza (with up to 3 toppings), get a 10" thin crust for $2.99. We did take out and the total was less than $22 ...Also I second the Buffalo Phil's we did not do it this trip but last time the food was yummy too (just avoid the chalk boards for kids...there is a reason they invented white boards :rotfl:)

Culvers is very decent fast food - they are priced a bit higher in the Dells than they are elsewhere, but still very survivable pricewise. They may even carry the $4 snackpacks??? They have one at exit 92 & I think also at 87. Dennys also located I believe at both of those exits.

And I still enjoy Ponderosa! We just never get there because Monks is our primary food destination!

We usually eat at Ponderosa once when we are in the Dells. Nice to have a variety for the picky eaters and not pay through the nose per person. (McD's in the Dells doesn't have the dollar menu - but the Orlando McD's did!)

no dollar menu in the Dells, we have been to Miami Beach, South Beach, Palm Beach, Hawaii, etc and paid less at Mcdonald's there than in the Dells. :confused3

Just returned from a fun Dells trip...our first time there. Our DS was in a hockey tournament over the weekend.

We went skiing at Cascade Mountain, which I think is open until March 20th. It was wonderful! The kids and adults in our group had a great time. And the store there has everything 50% off (end of season) so great deals on ski goggles, pants, boots, clothing, etc.

First night we stayed at Comfort Suites in Portage (not far from the Dells) at a rate of $72 per night (AAA). By far the cleanest, nicest "budget" hotel I have ever stayed in. Breakfast included. Even the bedding reminded me of the "heavenly beds". I am a hotel snob and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Stayed at Great Wolf for final 2 days. The indoor water park is nice if you are going for that kind of thing, but to me it is over priced. Just my .02. I am sure the rates are comparable to other indoor water park hotels in the area.

Tanger outlet shopping is also good. Moose Jaw for the best food.

We stayed at this hotel over New Years weekend and I would seriously suggest staying elsewhere. The rooms were horrible. The furniture was made out of plywood. The hallways were full of Russian women who were being "managed" by older men. These girls would approach our husbands with us standing right there. We were 3 families with kids ranging from 8 to 16 and wouldn't even let the kids walk down the hall alone, especially the girls. The water park and indoor amusement park are nice. I would suggest staying elsewhere and getting a day pass if you really want to go there. If you have any questions you can pm me.

The outlet mall is at Exit 92 but if it is super windy - avoid it - the set-up tunnels the wind down the middle & it can get cold.
What? I am so baffled to what you are referring too.

there are 5 to 6 thousand students hired for the season in the Dells, but most of them speak English very well and can also make change without need of a calculator or cash register. There is a very big Polish population, they own lots of businesses, most of the students are central European.
Poor kids. Most stay in shacks down by the river. At least 15 in a 3 bedroom-Wisconsin Dells little bad secret.

And if you are staying at Mt. Olympus Rome Hotel, be very careful if you get a great bargain to stay there. They will try to put you in a dump a mile down the road in a very old motel.

We stayed at this hotel over New Years weekend and I would seriously suggest staying elsewhere. The rooms were horrible. The furniture was made out of plywood. The hallways were full of Russian women who were being "managed" by older men. These girls would approach our husbands with us standing right there. We were 3 families with kids ranging from 8 to 16 and wouldn't even let the kids walk down the hall alone, especially the girls. The water park and indoor amusement park are nice. I would suggest staying elsewhere and getting a day pass if you really want to go there. If you have any questions you can pm me.

Wow, I have stayed in the main building of this hotel twice a year for many, many years since back when it was Treasure Island. I found the furnishings nice and solid wood not plywood. I have never, ever seen prostitution going on in the hallways either. Unless this has all changed since Christmas maybe you are talking about a different hotel? Perhaps, one of their hotels that is offsite? :confused3

What? I am so baffled to what you are referring too.

Poor kids. Most stay in shacks down by the river. At least 15 in a 3 bedroom-Wisconsin Dells little bad secret.

And if you are staying at Mt. Olympus Rome Hotel, be very careful if you get a great bargain to stay there. They will try to put you in a dump a mile down the road in a very old motel.

Tanger is an outdoor mall. All of the walkways are covered, but outdoors.

We're back from our trip. We had a terrific rate of $70/night at Hotel Rome. The hotel was very clean, the funishings were wood- not top of the line but not junk either. It was cheesy decor (mural on wall, etc) but well maintained. We had a decent location- close to lobby. The water park and indoor amusement park wasn't as clean as the room. Not a lot of slides/a short lazy river and very crowded. It was worth $220 for 3 nights though.

We ended up going to the outlet mall one day- unless you get the coupon book free or plan to spend a lot- skip paying for it. We ended up using it at other Dells locations but not at the mall.

We had breakfast at Denny's diner (not affiliated w/ the chain) and Wintergreen Inn. Both were good, large portions, good service.

We had dinner at Buffalo Phil's, Moosejaw and Monk's. All were expensive but we planned on that. Large portions at all three allowed me to share w/ one of my kids at each meal (breakfasts and dinners!) The beer was good at Moosejaw. Loved the IPA and my husband enjoyed the stout.

We ended up driving up to Bugaboo to look around after breakfast on Tues. When we came back through town, we decided to stop at Kalahari to look around. We were all set to get a day pass to their indoor amusement area when we stopped by their indoor water park to take a look. We ended up getting day passes there (using coupon book from Tanger) and spent 8 hours there. We had a terrific time.

We went to Cave of the Mounds on the way home and enjoyed that tour. We've been on lots of cave tours and this was quite intimate and enjoyable. More informational than touristy which we enjoy.

Thanks for all the advice we ended up having a great time in the WI Dells. We'll go back but won't stay at Hotel Rome again- it would be worth it to splurge on Kalahari to us. We'd consider Wilderness or Great Wolf too. I'll be on the look out for deals for next spring break. :)

When we went to Wisconsin Dells we stayed at Kalahari and Great Wolf Lodge. We loved the indoor amusement park at Kalahari (rope course, rock climbing wall, laser tag, mini golf, go carts, etc.)!

I also recommend Buffalo Phils. We sat in the train room also and the kids (and especially me) loved the train that served the food. We really liked the decor as well.

thw owner of Mount Olympus and Hotel Rome has purchased 6 or 8 more motels along the strip this winter.

Tanger is an outdoor mall. All of the walkways are covered, but outdoors.

OK, I could not figure out what you were talking about. Bayshore Mall in Milwaukee did that concept. It is a very upscale area. I saw a Bentley, Porsch, Mercedes last Sunday. I told my dd, "oh boy", we are in the wrong place. But prices were no different than any other mall. Except it was freezing walking from store to store, no indoor hallways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter