Winging it with No Dinning Plan! A Feb. Trip Report

Welcome back! Glad you guys enjoyed DL, someday I'll make it back there............

Morgan cried.... I knew she would be nervous about the flight and sure enough she cried and said she didn't want to go
And this is the main reason I haven't made it back there yet - the flight :headache: Chris is a PITA on the 2.5 hour flight from NY to Florida, and Steve refuses to put up with him on a flight to CA. lol. Sorry Morgan wasn't happy at first but it is a long flight and kind of daunting to think about.

There was maybe a handful of families at FQ but when we got to Riverside there was a full line of folks waiting! It was the first time that I was glad we decided to try FQ over Riverside!
Ugh, yes, the one negative to staying at FQ (although a bigger negative when staying at POR)! The first time we stayed at FQ we shared 0 buses with POR; the second time we stayed we shared tons of buses with them which added so much time onto our drives to parks. We were always picked up and dropped off first so we always had seats, but it was annoying to have to make like 5 more stops after getting on when the resort we chose to stay at only had 1 stop. Haven't been there since. Somehow the stops at CSR haven't been as annoying as FQ going to POR.

Hello Everyone!

I have to interrupt this trip report with some VERY unexpected turn of events!

Andy works in advertising and was moved onto a team that has been working on some commercials. And has had to travel ALOT since September. He found out that he was going to have to go to LA AGAIN for yet another commercial shoot. And over the girls spring break. Which makes my life pretty difficult.

Sooooo, to make lemonade out of lemons.

We are ALL going to to out to LA before he needs to be there for work AND we are going to go to Disneyland!!!! I am so excited! We talked about it but I always kept it in my head that it probably wouldn't happen. But Andy wants get off of this team, so it might be our last chance.

I am so excited! We will be in Disneyland for 3 full days. I know we could use more but it is what we can swing. So excited! And so nervous about the time change for the girls. But Disneyland is worth it! We are going to keep it a secret from the girls since it's so close. We will be there over Easter Weekend which isn't ideal but I am again it's what we can do.

Have I mentioned that I am so excited?!? Eek!!!!
So exciting! And I am super envious! I would think 3 days would be enough as I think I did 2 or 3 when I went. How do you think it went? Was 3 enough?

I think the wait was posted at 25 minutes already, and we waited just about that.
I waited that long at rope drop in June. I don't know whatthe problem was that day.

Clearly we haven't figured out where exactly they take our picture on this ride.
I think this might be the only one I do know. I need to study up.

By now it was 10:00, we were going to do Buzz Lightyear next but the line was already kind of long.
Yep this happened to us.

I think we checked out the wait for Tomorrowland Speedway on the way as well and it looked like a good 30 minutes, so we passed on that as well.
Same thing but I had that handy dandy paper FP, so we used it here.

We FINALLY made it to Sleepy Hallow for some late breakfast. We usually don't get anything here, since they don't take the dinning plan here. So, it was on our must to list.

I ordered a Nutella and Fruit Waffle and a Funnel Cake with Strawberries (no whip cream) And a water.
I so want to try this! I have had a funnel cake from here a few times...but I want the waffle. Not sure when I will ever get it to work out. I need to see if they serve the waffles all day because I hear they are open during the Halloween party.

And this is the main reason I haven't made it back there yet - the flight :headache: Chris is a PITA on the 2.5 hour flight from NY to Florida, and Steve refuses to put up with him on a flight to CA. lol. Sorry Morgan wasn't happy at first but it is a long flight and kind of daunting to think about.
Kids ruining our Disney plans... who would have thought?! Thankfullly, Morgan was fine on the flight, it did get to be a little long, but I was getting restless as well. SO all understandable.

Ugh, yes, the one negative to staying at FQ (although a bigger negative when staying at POR)! T
I will say that this was literally the only day we had to share with RS. For whatever reason, Animal Kingdom was the only part that we went to that we went over to Riverside first. And we only did a stop at the front of the resort. We didn't go around to other stops. Not sure if that was just because we were so light and they had a lot waiting or what. But it wasn't that bad. I would just tell your clients FQ over RS if they are choosing between those, when it comes to bus service. It def seemed WAY easier at FQ!

So exciting! And I am super envious! I would think 3 days would be enough as I think I did 2 or 3 when I went. How do you think it went? Was 3 enough?
I would have liked 1 more day. (I mean I could have spent a week there, let's be honest) But we skipped alot of the rides that are the same or almost the same... The Little Mermaid Ride, Toy Story Mania, Soarn'... those rides. I would have liked to have done them and maybe repeat a few more. Plus we really didn't do alot of character meets. (which isn't really our style) But still, if you did want to, that would have eaten up more time. We also, did literally 12 hour days! The park was open from 8am - midnight. And we made sure were there most days as early as possible. But we did get ALOT of the park done. Just wanted to do a few of those smaller things, that us crazy disney fans like to check out, you know?

Same thing but I had that handy dandy paper FP, so we used it here.
Don't worry, we make up for it later! Just wait!

I so want to try this! I have had a funnel cake from here a few times...but I want the waffle. Not sure when I will ever get it to work out. I need to see if they serve the waffles all day because I hear they are open during the Halloween party.
I don't know about during the Halloween party, but I am pretty sure they sell the waffles all day long. They have the chicken and waffle one that would be good for a light and easy dinner if they do. I want to say Sleepy Hallow had a special dessert during the Halloween party. So, it would be whether they are just serving that or the waffles as well.

Morgan is not...

Right after that...... Morgan cried....

I saw it coming on her little face in the video! Poor dear.

started readying the book and started to settle into the idea.

Knowledge is power! Smart one mama!

I would assume they are freshly made and fried at Cafe DuMonde.

Real talk, they were like a religious experience. I've only been once to New Orleans, and I drank too much (I was barely 21), and much of the trip is blurry, but those fluffy pastries I will never forget. It's a fun town for the family for ghost tours and jazz and stuff, but it's more for a grown ups trip.

They weren't the best ones, but the girls have loved trading with CM.

That's what thos lots are for. We call them traders. I have one lanyard for keepers, one that we trade off.

Am I the only one seeing the moment at the end of The Breakfast Club??

It's counts, right? !? No?

Totally counts!

We can't seem to keep the pins on those lanyards.

Buy a pack of the butterfly backs from amazon or Michaels. I trade the rubber backs and just use my butterfly backs; always stay on.

mean how cute are they!?!

They really stinkin are! Did you ever watch that show, Mere Cat Manor?

we headed to see the gorillas!

My fave!

All in all a great start at AK, even if it was later than you'd liked.

Animals, Yeti's & A Ghost!

I left us off with us finishing up our Gorilla Trail stroll. And we were headed to our fastness for the Safari. I don't remember how long the standby line was at this point, but I do know it was long enough that it was worth us using it. (I have changed it before literally standing in standby line in the past)

Very Shortly we were on our safari truck!

Ok, so our driver, was the WORST driver we have ever had! She would floor it and then almost immediately slam on the breaks. And she would say things like, "Look at the super cute animal to your right." And then just floor it! Ugh it was the worst!!!!

We did see some animals.

I believe these are the deer that are native to Asia but were practically extinct in the will and only now being re-introduced to Asia.

We came around a corner and there were some long antlered deer of some sort trying to cross the road. So, we stopped for them to make there way across. It was Hilarious because I SWEAR.... the deer stopped looked both ways, made sure no trucks were driving and THEN crossed the road!!! It was amazing!

The deer crossing caused a bit of a back up.

But never fear! Our driver floored it once the deer passed and we caught up with the other trucks!!!!!

We got to see the Rhino out and about. They are always so amazing to see.

And the Gators. They weren't out when we were here in September, as there habitat was damaged during the hurricane.

And then mine and the girls favorite...

GIRAFFES!!!!

So, I am not sure if every truck is like this, and I just noticed it this time. But everytime the driver would point something out, EVERYONE in the truck would turn and look that way. And then we would see something cute and EVERYONE would point in the same direction. It was like a comic book funny or something...

And Elephants!

I was super excitied about this, as the elephants were also not out when we were here in September. Elephants are amazing, aren't they? The Washington DC Zoo has the best Elephant exhibit. You can get super close to them. I would love to do the Caring for Elephants tour with the girls one day.

Then more antlered deer...

I felt like there was ALOT of antlered deer!

Even with the bad driver, it was a fun ride! Since we hit the later part of the Safari fast pass, we headed towards Everest for our next fast passes!

Of course, I had to snap a photo of the tree of life on the way... it's required, right?

As we were walking over, Gwen declared that she had to use the bathroom. She had already said that she did NOT want to ride Everest this time. So, I volunteered to take Gwen to the bathroom while Andy and Morgan headed in for the first ride.

Of course, I had an alternative motive in mind when I volunteered....

I wanted a drink!!! It was 10:45... so what... we were on vacation!

We stoped atThirsty River Bar & Trek Snacks and ordered drinks.

I ordered the:
Himalayan Ghost
Snow Leopard Vodka, Guava and odwalla® Lemonade

and Gwen got the:
Pink Lotus
Monin Wild Strawberry, Lychee and odwalla® Lemonade

I asked if they had the glow cubes, and they said they were out at the moment. We took our drinks over to Everest and found a place to sit and wait for Andy and Morgan to come out. Gwen had some snacks that I had packed and we just chilled. There was a family next to us that was just SUPER loud! And then one of the kids had an epic meltdown! I think he had behavioral issues because he just wouldn't calm down. But the parents were super patient and just let him ride it out.

While we were enjoying our drinks, Morgan and Andy were enjoying the ride!

Once they got off the ride, Andy switched spots with me, and Morgan took Gwen's magic band and we headed in. There was a little bit of a wait in the fast pass line, but nothing too too terrible.

There was a woman from Disneyland in line in front of us. And we chatted with her. She had said that it was her first time on the ride. Morgan assured her it would be fun. She told us that the Matterhorn was NOTHING like this. (Little did I know we would actually be going there!)

Before we knew it we were getting ready to load up into a car!

We were excitied to go! Morgan made out with this plan! Two rides in a row.

After our ride, we went out and found Andy and Gwen. The boy had finally calmed down but the family was still stilling there. I assume just really letting that kid calm down.

It was about noon by now, so we headed out in pursuit of lunch! I had something specific in mind, would we make it? Would I get my special item?

Last edited:
Ok, so our driver, was the WORST driver we have ever had!

That stinks!

And she would say things like, "Look at the super cute animal to your right."

Maybe she came from The Jungle Cruise. This reminds of the part where they driver points out their favorite plants. "That one and that one. . . "

Of course, I had to snap a photo of the tree of life on the way... it's required, right?

Yes it is and you got a really great shot.

We were excitied to go! Morgan made out with this plan! Two rides in a row.

Morgan scored!

Ok, so our driver, was the WORST driver we have ever had! She would floor it and then almost immediately slam on the breaks. And she would say things like, "Look at the super cute animal to your right." And then just floor it! Ugh it was the worst!!!!
What??? We've had some that are boring but never a BAD one :(

I would love to do the Caring for Elephants tour with the girls one day.
I really want to do this, too! Can't beat the price and it's only an hour so you'd still really have the whole day. However Steve has no interest in doing anything extra animal-related and I think Chris would get bored even with it being just an hour, which leaves Ricky. And I think we're bringing his friend in Aug. so.....most likely no Caring for Giants for me in the near future lol.

Himalayan Ghost
Snow Leopard Vodka, Guava and odwalla® Lemonade
How was this? I've seen a few drinks with the odwalla lemonade it them that sound fairly good to me, but on it's own I don't like that lemonade. Can you really taste it? I find it extremely tart, does that come through in the drink?

I was glad I could make a Flight of Passage Fast Pass so early in the week but of course it had to be fairly late in the day. Which meant we had to make it till then! Would we make it?
We were hoping to get one on day 2 or 3 of our August trip, so thanks for giving me some hope that it will be available. Some friends of ours are going with us and only joining in for 3 days so I'd hate to miss FoP on AK day.

We got seats in the back, and the bus headed over to Riverside to pick up folks there. There was maybe a handful of families at FQ but when we got to Riverside there was a full line of folks waiting! It was the first time that I was glad we decided to try FQ over Riverside!
We haven't stayed at POFQ in a while but when we did, we never shared with Riverside in the morning. Have they changed this????

We stopped at the Wilderness Explorer Station for pencils. The girls had there books from September and wanted to finish up the books. The CM were more than glad to give the girls new pencils and we headed out. Directly across the way, there was a CM trading pins. So, we checked that out to see if there was any the girls wanted to trade.
How did Gwen like pin trading? I've been on the fence about doing this with Casey.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Morgan's concerned face... Sigh... such a worrier!
Poor thing!

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing. We've had some boring CM's in the past, but nothing like this. I would definitely have complained to someone.

The Washington DC Zoo has the best Elephant exhibit. You can get super close to them. I would love to do the Caring for Elephants tour with the girls one day.
Shout-out to my Zoo :-) Though funny last time we were there they elephants were so far from the observation area you couldn't get very close to them. We're contemplating doing caring for elephants on our August trip, but I'm a bit worried about the risk of bad weather.

I wanted a drink!!! It was 10:45... so what... we were on vacation!
:worship::worship::worship::drinking1:drinking1:drinking1 My kinda Mama!

Elephants are amazing, aren't they?

My favorite!

I would love to do the Caring for Elephants tour with the girls one day.

Yes! That tour looks so amazing!!

25637490157_dd33037136_z.jpg

Love this shot!

It was 10:45... so what... we were on vacation!

LOL! This reminds of the episode of Friends in Vegas. I tried to find a gif of it, but google let me down.

Sounds like your driver may have been a rookie, or at least I hope she was. But you guys saw some good animals!

Morgan really made out like a bandit with back to back Everest rides! Lucky girl.

Hopping over to Disneyland now!

What a bummer about the safari driver. Like the Jungle Cruise, the CM working can really determine how good/bad the attraction is on that particular turn.

I like your thinking about volunteering to take Gwen to the potty! Your drink looked refreshing.

My nephew has sensory issues and has had a few rough meltdowns in public while I've been with him. It can be loud, but it's good the parents stayed calm throughout it.
Lucky Morgan getting two turns on EE!

Hi Everyone! I want to say thanks to everyone who has jumped over to read my Disneyland Trip Report as well! I am determined to not let this one lag behind, so here is an update! Enjoy!

Day Two: A Long Lunch Story (sorry short on pics)

So, I left us off ready for lunch! I wanted to go to Flame Tree BBQ for lunch as I really wanted to try the pulled pork loaded fries! Yum! So, we made our way over to FTBBQ. The girls were hangry and didn't want to walk anymore. But we dragged them along. When we got over to Flame Tree the line was SUPER long. I said No Problem, we will just mobile order our food! I pulled out my phone and logged in. Well..... Mobile order wasn't working for Flame Tree. Blah! So, we discussed what we wanted to do, in very hangry tones.

Finally we decided to go to Restaurantosaurus, as it wasn't that far of a walk, it had good options that the girls would like and Andy and I could pit stop at Trilo-Bites and get the Buffalo Chicken Chips on the way.

So, we headed that way, stopping at Trill-Bites. Andy ordered and I kept walking with the girls because they were all bent out of shape that we were stopping on the way. OYE! I pulled out the app out and made sure I could still do mobile ordering for Restaurantosaurus. And I could so, I started to figure out what the girls wanted.
Gwen: Chicken Nugget Meal
Morgan: Cheeseburger Meal
Andy & I decided to split a Chicken BLT Burger with our chips.

Went to order and the app said my credit card was invalid. Grrrrrrrr..... Dug out my wallet and put in the new credit card info.... Didn't save it.... Grrrrr..... punched in again. And finally got it saved. Submitted the order.

By now Andy had gotten our Buffalo Chips and we headed into the restaurant to find a place to sit. It was SUPER busy!!!! But thankfully the left hand side was basically still open in the back. So, we grabbed a table and waited a bit. And then I got up to go find the mobile order window as I didn't know where it was. it was fairly easy to find as there was 3 or 4 people standing there waiting already. The app hadn't said our food was ready yet, so I just decided to stand and wait. Well, one lady came up and asked about her order, and the guy checked and said it was still being worked on. Meanwhile, there was 3 or 4 trays of food just sitting there waiting to be picked up. ok.... Another person comes up and does the same thing with the same result.

One of the trays looked like it could be ours, but I am sure lots of people order chicken nuggets. So, I didn't say anything. While I was waiting, Andy texted me and asked if I ordered a drink for us. I said no, but I could try and make another order for a drink. As I saw two people come and pick up beers only. I go on the app make a selection and the app tells me my credit card is invalid AGAIN! Grr... I didn't bring my purse with me, so no drinks for us. :(

I probably wait another 5-10 minutes and another CM comes out notices all the people waiting and asked everyone what there numbers were and checks each to see the status. When they ask mine, she looks in the system and says it isn't ready yet. Ok... None of the food trays behind them have moved! Nobody's number was ready, by the way....

Another 5 minutes go by and my app alerts me that my food is ready! Mind you... NO NEW food has come out!!! I already know what is going to happen and I am thinking in my head, do I make a big deal out of this? Is it worth it? I go up, show the CM my number, they look in the system, yes your food is ready, they turn around and grab the tray that I had been staring at for at least 15 minutes at!!!!! I tell the CM that my tray has been sitting there for awhile. The CM very nicely offers to remake the food without hesitation. I say no but thank you for offering and just take the tray. It wasn't worth waiting. There was a handful of other people waiting and a LONG line of people in the regular lines. I just didn't have it in me.

I brought the food back finally. Went back up and grabbed a bunch of condiments and finally got to sit down.

I forgot that they served the kids meals in sand buckets. Cute idea but kind of a pain when your kid wants to take the crappy bucket home with them!

This was Andy and mine BLT Burger. It was ok. It was grilled chicken. Nothing special but it wasn't dry or anything.

Morgan's Burger. It was ok. I think that was the theme of the place. Not bad but nothing to go out of your way to get.

Gwen's chicken nuggets were like every other chicken nuggets on Disney property. Which are good. Oh and they got the girls sides wrong too. Overall we clearly were not impressed with our lunch. but we had food in our bellies and ready to go do something more fun!

Where would we go next?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!