Will you expect Disney to be fully operational when cruises start back up? For the price, I surely hope so...

We just rebooked Alaska for 2022. Hoping that everything has returned to normal by then. Masks, a vaccine requirement, reduced entertainment, restricted excursions are all deal breakers for us.

Yeah, I was thinking "no vaccine requirement" for a cruise involving Canada might be a tall order......

why a vaccine requirement? Seems to be the only way to limit liability for the company and to ensure everyone getting on is protected as best as they can be. I understand there are very, very, very, very limited circumstances where people cannot get them but otherwise by summer 2022, everyone will be eligible for a long time including kids of all ages.

Personal freedom maybe?
Maybe some people just don't like the idea of corrupt governments and super-rich corporations forcing a rushed vaccine to be injected into you, all because they need to return to normal to generate profits faster.

They don't know the long term side effects. They don't know how long the vaccine is effective for. Vaccines take many years to develop, study, test, and approve. This one was tossed out faster than any drug we've ever seen. This vaccine didn't even exist less than 8 months ago and we are talking about giving it to 90% of the population by this summer? And then upping the talk of making it mandatory just to function in society? Soon you won't be able to go to school, get on an airplane, or perhaps not even have a job unless you get it.

That's all kind of crazy when you stop and think about it.

why a vaccine requirement? Seems to be the only way to limit liability for the company and to ensure everyone getting on is protected as best as they can be. I understand there are very, very, very, very limited circumstances where people cannot get them but otherwise by summer 2022, everyone will be eligible for a long time including kids of all ages.
You might need a vaccine just to get into Canada, let alone cruise. According to our PM, nothing is off the table at the moment....
Personal freedom maybe?
Maybe some people just don't like the idea of corrupt governments and super-rich corporations forcing a rushed vaccine to be injected into you, all because they need to return to normal to generate profits faster.

They don't know the long term side effects. They don't know how long the vaccine is effective for. Vaccines take many years to develop, study, test, and approve. This one was tossed out faster than any drug we've ever seen. This vaccine didn't even exist less than 8 months ago and we are talking about giving it to 90% of the population by this summer? And then upping the talk of making it mandatory just to function in society? Soon you won't be able to go to school, get on an airplane, or perhaps not even have a job unless you get it.

That's all kind of crazy when you stop and think about it.

If DCL, Canada, or airlines require it, we simply won't go. It will be heartbreaking not to be able to cruise again but it is what it is. We'll get our Disney fix at WDW and put our cruise money towards other vacations.

I certainly hope that when Disney starts back to cruising that they are at near normal. DCL does not bring in the profits that the other divisions bring in and therefore there is not the drive to get them back up and going. You read articles all the time from the other cruise lines talking about getting back to cruising. Disney, virtually nil. Disney charges a premium for a premium product. If they are going to deliver a less than premium product, then they take the risk of losing that customer that is willing to pay their prices. Think about things like this. Do you want to have to make a reservation to use the pool or have a deck chair available to you? How about no socialization on the ship because of 6' distancing. Do you want all the small clubs closed or having to make a reservation for trivia or karaoke. I was a very firm believer in masks, now that I am vaccinated, I think that I would rather have a no mask trip with everybody on the ship vaccinated and everything back to normal.

I’d say DCL is « niche » more than « premium ». If you strip the Mouse from the equation, they are almost the same as RCCL (IMO RCCL doing it slightly better). I already think they are overpriced to begin with... I wouldn’t go for a reduced experience on DCL either.

I think we all know that the only way to get a « close to normal » experience is to make vaccines mandatory. Otherwise, the risks of having cases and the cruise being stopped after a few days are too high.

I don’t know if it’s cultural but here, while there was a few exception, Canadians were pretty good at respecting health measures since the very beginning. We adapted.

Some adapted. Most capitulated. What is "cultural" here is a propensity to do as we're told with little protest, not really a superior sense of morality. Most Canadians will return to normal just as fast as Americans, as soon as public health restrictions are lifted.

What you seem to be wishing for (with apologies if I misunderstood) is a less crowded world. I don't like crowds either, and who wouldn't love a less crowded cruise? But it's not the world we live in. And considering the global response to an illness that threatened a very small percentage of the population, it's not a world we are going to live in anytime soon. As long as our priority is on valuing, protecting, and extending human life at almost literally any cost, the crowds aren't going anywhere.

When the Dream came about they did have 3 showtimes for the main stage shows. You had to pick which time you wanted go while doing online check in. It didn't last long at all. Whether it will be brought back is anyone's guess. I do not think mask would be required on the pool deck or in the pool/slides. WDW does not require masks on their pool decks (was there 3/1-3/8). Neither did Hilton Head when we were there in October.

I think better than having 3 evening shows a matinee would be better. They often have mainees already on some sea days. One of my concerns is if guests and more importantly CM's will have to wear face masks in the MDRs. I found it very difficult at times to understand some servers with heavy accents (and noisy surroundings) and if they are required to wear masks and face shields (like all servers in WDW do) I can see myself having a difficult time.

In all reality other than fireworks or atrium parties/deck parties I don't find huge crowds a problem onboard. Most of the time around the ship you can easily keep your distance from people.

We are booked May 2022 to Hawaii on DCL and I hope things are more normal back then but I think I would still go even if some restrictions are in place.

I wish there was more data on how long the vaccines last as I just heard of a requirement that people who have been vaccinated for 90 days will have to quarantine again if they travel after that 90 day period or are exposed to someone with Covid19.

MJ

^ This. They are not dropping prices one bit at the parks, despite all of the changes. I don’t know why they would do so for cruises.

That said, I would think the OP will be “in the clear,” in terms of mandates/restrictions 14 months from now.

That's what we said a year ago and yet here we are. :(

What a depressing thread. Can you still get or transmit COVID after you get the vaccine? Yes. I'm not up for a bunch of restrictions on my cruise but I don't see how they can force people, especially kids to get a vaccine. If I could get my deposit back I would, but instead I'll keep on moving it until we can ENJOY our cruise. (I'm not anti-vax or anti-mask - I'd just rather not spend thou$and$ on a lesser experience.)

That's what we said a year ago and yet here we are. :(

True. It was simply my optimistic guess.

Influenced, no doubt, by the fact that I have a May ‘22 cruise booked myself, and don’t want to sail with any kind of mask mandate or major social distancing measures in place.

What a depressing thread. Can you still get or transmit COVID after you get the vaccine? Yes. I'm not up for a bunch of restrictions on my cruise but I don't see how they can force people, especially kids to get a vaccine. If I could get my deposit back I would, but instead I'll keep on moving it until we can ENJOY our cruise. (I'm not anti-vax or anti-mask - I'd just rather not spend thou$and$ on a lesser experience.)
The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 90% effective in preventing sickness and transmission of COVID-19. So it's not 100%. (Though so far, the few cases that people have come down with have all been mild.) I'm not sure how getting vaccinated in the weeks prior to the cruise will somehow affect the experience on board, but that's just my perspective.

Last edited:
The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 90% effective in preventing sickness and transmission of COVID-19. So it's not 100%. (Though so far, the few cases that people have come down with have all been mild.) I'm not sure how getting vaccinated in the weeks prior to the cruise will somehow affect the experience on board, but that's just my perspective.

I'm talking about things like wearing masks, making reservations for the pool, shows, etc. Those will definitely affect my experience so I'm not interested in cruising until there aren't any restrictions.

I expect the science to be correct that in a couple months enough people will have immunity from prior infection or vaccination for herd immunity to have reduced the risk enough for life to be normal. I'd also expect lots of people who've become more aware of germs and viruses will be more careful to wash their hands, maybe keep some distance, etc and cruising will be safer than ever before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter