Will we regret a spring break trip

I just want to mention if it's a year that easter falls in march, generally most of april is lowest I've seen it for normal, no outside influence wdw visits.

We have done from the week before through three days after Easter Sunday. The first weekend until about Tuesday was fine. On Wednesday, the crowds started arriving and it was utter madness until we left. If you can't deal with the crowds, also avoid Mardi Gras week, as we painfully learned this year.

Good luck with your decision. It's extremely crowded the week before Easter; but depending on your touring style it may be fine. If you rope drop, relax at resort in afternoon, make good use of FP, it will feel great.

Making use of morning EMH is a great way to get a lot done and then leave mid day.

I don't like crowds, but I prefer them to summer weather.

We will be trying the second to last week of December next time, to see how crowds compare.

We went once, and only once during spring break. We used to live in FL and go during the slow times and now we have to actually fly down and make a big vacation out of it. Spring break we definitely found way more crowded than any other time we had been so we do not go anymore. I am a teacher and my kids are now school-aged and one plays competitive softball so I understand how time and schedules get in the way. We are going just for 5 days this June. We planned it around the one weekend my daughter doesn't have a tournament!

We went end of March a couple of years ago and the last few days were miserable. 60+ min wait for everything. Buzz Lightyear, Speedway, Pirates, etc. It was so hot and so crowded that I swore I would never go back during that time.

If all of your trips are 9 and 10s, I would skip. It's too costly to visit the parks when its like that.

I'll never (ever ever ever) schedule a Disney trip during ANY spring break period again. It was a crowd nightmare. Not fun.

I was in WDW spring break 2016. We spent 2 days in the parks before leaving on aDCL cruise Easter Sunday. The parks were extremely crowded that weekend. On Good Friday we went to AK which we usually leave by 12. The Saturday before Easter went to MK. We arrived about 8am and by 12:30 it was so crowded we had to leave. We did head over to Epcot and it was not very crowded so spent the afternoon there. I was only there 2 days but I swore I would never go at spring break again. But never say never becasue I just booked spring break 2018. We arrive the Saturday before Easter and will stay until the following Saturday. We are early park people and like to go back to the room about 1pm so that will work for us to manage the crowds. We always go back to park for dinner so we will just take it easy.

can I chime in? we usually go in the fall but are considering a Spring Break trip in 2020. Our school vacation is the 3rd week in April. Easter is Sunday, April 12th. we would arrive Friday, April 17th and stay until 25th. Once the Easter week crowds leave how crowded might it be?
thanks

We've always been to WDW during slow seasons for more than 20 trips. However, ever since DS started middle school, we noticed that taking him out for a week from school really impacted his school. So now we go during his spring break which is the week leading to Easter. We've been 3 years during this time now and yes, it's very crowded. However, the weather is beautiful during this time. Also, we know it's going to be crowded so we plan well with FP and some tours. We also take advantage of morning EMH or late night EMH at MK. During the day, we spend relaxing at our resort. He will also be entering high school this fall and we also plan on going 3/23~3/31/2018 for the spring break. We are also going during the summer (late August) which is pretty low crowd since most of the southern schools start by mid August. However, the weather wise, it's so hot and humid during August, we plan on spending lots of time by the pool.

I wouldn't go the week before Easter if I could help it honestly. Just way too many kids have off school then for Spring Break. Even though Disney is fun, for something as expensive as it is, you want to fill like you get your money's worth. And fighting crowds and lines during a hot day may not seem worth it.

I went during Spring Break "season" this year (end of March, two weeks before Easter) and was worried, but I found it shockingly good from a weather and crowd perspective.

But now my son is starting school (K), and I know I will have less flexibility going forward, though I plan on pulling him out of school for vacations on occasion (especially during elementary school).

I don't quite understand schools giving parents grief (or outright banning) for going on a vacation outside of scheduled breaks. It all depends on the kid and the schoolwork honestly. I don't think many kids will fall behind missing a week (or less) of school. I mean kids get sick and can be out for as long as a vacation some time. I know it will anger me when it gets to that point in my children's school careers and I'm "told" that I can't take my own child out of school.

Well, we went on the Saturday before Easter a few years back. We were dying for a little away time and we just went for a long weekend-only two days, one day in the park and one in Downtown Disney. It was crowded. BUT...as the day went on, the crowds dispersed. By nightfall, the lines weren't that bad and we rode things multiple times. I think we were able to ride around 5 rides in the last hour before close(we skipped Wishes). That said, we found early May to be much more doable crowd-wise and weather wise. That may not be an option for you, but since a lot of high schools get their finals done early May, it could be an option.

We had the same question this year. My oldest is a freshman in high school. We debated Easter week (our Spring Break) but ultimately decided to take the kids the day after school lets out. We've gone in September so we know the heat will be BAD but I'm a little nervous about the crowds too. We're just going to do the best we can to manage it all. We're also not planning to return for several years because we have decided that most likely she will not want to vacation with us in her 20s so we need to start exploring the world (outside of World Showcase!).

May I hijack for a moment rather than start a separate thread :)?

Our break next year is March 12-16. I'm trying to figure out how the Easter dates next year would affect that week, or is that early for actual Spring Break crowds? Do the US schools generally have their spring breaks starting the week before Easter, or do they go all through March?

We've never gone that week as airfare anywhere is insane, and I certainly wouldn't want to add super heavy crowds to that equation.

Our break next year is March 12-16. I'm trying to figure out how the Easter dates next year would affect that week, or is that early for actual Spring Break crowds? Do the US schools generally have their spring breaks starting the week before Easter, or do they go all through March?

We've never gone that week as airfare anywhere is insane, and I certainly wouldn't want to add super heavy crowds to that equation.

Our spring break in 2018 starts on March 26th and goes through Easter Monday. I think many schools have either the week before or the week after Easter off - so those spring breakers will not affect your trip dates. Of course there are some schools that have set week for spring break so you're likely to run into some kids but not as many as you would near Easter. That's my guess - I don't know what else might affect mid-March.

As crowded as spring break is - I guess I've gotten used to it - lol! As for the original question by the OP - I think that you can go to Disney World any time of the year and have a great trip with the right planning and the right expectations.

We have the same break time as you. Saying "spring break" is a big variable as I've seen breaks during any week through March and April in any given year. Since our break is a good 2 weeks before Easter that is by far better going than any summer dates comparing the weather. Last time we went the first week of June when our school was out and being from TX we thought we'd be fine w the heat. No way no how ever again!! Too much humidity!

crowd levels during our break range from 6 to 8 at the end which June was the same but mostly 7 and 8 w far worse weather. So I think our march 12-16 will be better.

I'd rather have a crowded week at Disney than none at all! Pick the right parks, mix in a resort day and some DS time and you should be good to go!

Totally this. If you are willing to do rope drop a few of the days and plan for afternoon down times, you'll be fine. We did the week before Easter this past year and had a great time. Same as you, OP, when DS was younger we didn't worry about taking him out of school but now that he's in middle school we're not as keen, and actually he's even less game to miss school! Plus, we can ask a friend along, which I don't think I'd be comfortable doing if it was a school week.

We've now done spring break 3 times and Christmas once. We're about to do 4th of July to make it a trifecta of crowd times, LOL! With good planning we don't find it to be a big deal.

We have gone the week prior to Easter many times. 2 strategies: go very early and leave at noon to enjoy pools, etc. or go when you want and just do your 3 FP+ and a show or two and shop/dine. Get tickets for 5+ days, so you can go multiple days for 4 hours at a time. We also really like going back in for pm EMH, esp. MK. Sometimes, we do pool all day and then our 3 FP+ right after dinner. We are also limited by school. We have never had a bad SB Easter trip (except the I95 traffic home).

We have been several times over Easter week and NO REGRETS at all. Sure it is crowded but not HORRIBLE. Not enough for us to throw the towel in and leave a park. As long as you arrive early and have a plan..YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT TRIP. THE WEATHER IS SUPER NICE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter