Will they sing Happy Birthday?

indymom21

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney for fall break. DH's birthday is Oct 9. We have the following ADRs:

Oct 7 - T Rex dinner
Oct 8 - Ohana dinner
Oct 9 - Coral Reef dinner
Oct 10 - Via Napoli lunch, Wishes Dessert Party
Oct 12 - Mama Melrose lunch (Fantasmic package)

I would like to note on the ADR that we will be celebrating DH's birthday in the hopes of getting a nice table location, confetti on the table, or a birthday cupcake. However, DH would not like to be pointed out, so I won't note on the ADR if there is any chance that the servers might come around and sing.

Also, I'm thinking about ordering the chocolate Mickey head cake for dessert at Coral Reef. Will the restaurant hold the leftover cake while we watch Illuminations?

Don't put the Birthday on the reservation if your husband doesn't want special attention, because yes, at some places they WILL sing Happy Birthday...or make a big to-do about it. At Mama Melrose last year, the Hollywood "characters" came out (it was the Director and the older actress with way too much make-up) Anyway they came to the table and did a little impromptu schtick with hubby...the Director was yelling through his megaphone, and the actress was over-the-top flirting with hubby. At other restaurants, the servers sang, or did a little parade bringing out a lighted birthday cupcake. Other places did nothing, you just don't know what will happen. We also have had the Swahili birthday song sung (it was beautiful) at Sanaa one year, another year at Boma the servers paraded through singing the song. AGain, beautiful. We have had happy birthday sung at probably a dozen restaurants at Disney World (we often go in May on Memorial Weekend...which coincides with hubby's birthday and we go in September on Labor Day weekend...which coincides with my birthday. So we are there on birthdays nearly every year.) 'Ohana makes a big deal out of birthdays...at least they did for several people when we ate there a couple of years ago. Waiters at Via Napoli sang something in Italian last year, too. Wasn't the tune of Happy Birthday, but whatever it was, they said it was in honor of my birthday.

The restaurant will not hold your leftover cake while you go watch Illuminations...they have nowhere to hold it once it's been served.

Don't worry about singing. The typical Birthday celebration involves potential confetti and sometimes a cupcake or other dessert, depending on the restaurant. They don't rattle silverware and sing off-key versions of birthday songs while gathered around your table like many non-Disney restaurants do. Your DH is safe.

ETA: Just saw earlier post about Melrose, did not know that... but then, we never eat there lol

If it's that big of an issue, I wouldn't note it on the ADR only because what if that one day...the CMs decide that you deserve that little bit of extra pixie dust?

The servers at Trex sang to me on my birthday. CR just brought a cupcake . No singing. Dont know about your other choices. Capt grille I got a cupcake at breakfast!!! But I dont think they sang.

Don't worry about singing. The typical Birthday celebration involves potential confetti and sometimes a cupcake or other dessert, depending on the restaurant. They don't rattle silverware and sing off-key versions of birthday songs while gathered around your table like many non-Disney restaurants do. Your DH is safe.

ETA: Just saw earlier post about Melrose, did not know that... but then, we never eat there lol

This isn't the case, many of them will indeed sing. Every time I'm in Via Napoli I hear multiple birthday songs from the servers. Sanaa will get out the African drums and do a whole production and visit your table. Pretty sure 'Ohana only does one joint birthday song, but they do it during every showtime so they don't miss anybody. The only way to put the birthday on the reservation and make sure nobody will draw attention to it publicly is to ask for no public display when you arrive - but that also doesn't guarantee that you will get confetti on the table or the private celebration things you want, because at some restaurants, all they seem to do is sing.

And no, they won't hold your cake for you while you go to Illuminations. They can't hold food that has already been served.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter